2024 1st Rd pick #25 Jorden Morgan OL

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Jenkins had been a first rounder I’d be ecstatic.
Agree. History has proven time and time again that no pick is a guarantee, no matter when he was selected.

I also would rather take a pick like Gary, that might take a few years to develop, but when they do, they are really good. Versus, taking a guy that already peaked in college or gets to the NFL, gets a big payday and decides to coast.

While there is greater financial savings in striking gold and drafting a premier player, at a premier (costly) position like QB, LT, WR, CB, OLB, those are hard to find, even in the top 10 players taken in the draft.

The jury is still out on Stokes, LVN and Morgan, but I would say that Gute has done pretty darn good with his first 1 pick of every draft.

2018: Alexander
2019: Gary
2020: Love
2021: Stokes
2022: Walker
2023: LVN
2024: Morgan

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think he was drafted as a guard but as a guy that could play guard OR tackle, this team just needs a good starting guard far more than they need a new starting tackle.
Valid point. When you get a guy that has that versatility to play all over the line, which is something they saw in Jenkins as well, if he ends up being a Pro Bowl guard and not just an average Tackle, so be it.

Reaction score
I don't think he was drafted as a guard but as a guy that could play guard OR tackle, this team just needs a good starting guard far more than they need a new starting tackle.
Exactly.
I was more going with that best 5 concept. Let’s just say Walker is shown to steadily improve at LT, do we move him just because we have a Rookie Day1 selection? Let him continue to grow as you can never have too many quality Tackles.
If that means inserting Morgan at Guard this year to get an upgrade from Runyon so be it. From many accounts I’ve read about Morgan is that he can absolutely be a Pro-Bowl level Guard. Would we really complain if we had Elgton Jenkins #1 + #2 on both sides?
I think that could be very formidable with this QB and RB room.

Reaction score
Agree. History has proven time and time again that no pick is a guarantee, no matter when he was selected.

I also would rather take a pick like Gary, that might take a few years to develop, but when they do, they are really good. Versus, taking a guy that already peaked in college or gets to the NFL, gets a big payday and decides to coast.

While there is greater financial savings in striking gold and drafting a premier player, at a premier (costly) position like QB, LT, WR, CB, OLB, those are hard to find, even in the top 10 players taken in the draft.

The jury is still out on Stokes, LVN and Morgan, but I would say that Gute has done pretty darn good with his first 1 pick of every draft.

Amen.
For anyone that argues Savage was also in there as a Day 1 we should recall that the Savage trade back n forth really cost us a later 3rd to early 4th equivalent.
We traded our 3rd Rounder but gained a 6th to get Savage the following draft. Savage was really a bonus Day 1 selection resulting from the gyrating down and back up the draft boards.

The only other player there is Wyatt, but he’s starting to pop a little. That Love selection will likely define a pretty good track record overall. If Love continues on a warpath like last year? Gutenmeisyrrhammer will be a solid A to A+ GM in Rd1 values.

The LVN and Stokes jury is still deliberating, a bit early on their value verdict but there’s a preponderance of evidence in their favor :whistling:

Last edited:
Reaction score
He's a generational talent though.
I still think there is a sizable difference between spending a Top 5 or Top 10 draft selection (or thereabouts) and spending a Top #25 selection. I had that argument with Captain regarding Love and my thought was at QB a #24-26 overall type selection is a cheap expenditure if he ends up being a starting caliber player. He didn’t think so, but look at how many teams spend a #1 or #2 overall selection at QB. Some even spend multiple Day 1 selections across 2-3 seasons for a good QB

While that concept does change by position, I don’t think a selecting an OL who might start out at OG and battle for a starting LT position in a couple seasons is out of ordinary. Truthfully I don’t even fully expect a #25 selection to be a starter in his Rookie campaign as some have already alluded to.
If you told me that Morgan played admirable at RG and was a slight upgrade to Runyon, then went on to become a Probowler level RG in 3 seasons etc…? Or close to that such as an alternate? I’m good.

All this said. Multiple sources claimed that moving Morgan inside initially would eventually result in Probowl level play. If that’s our worst problem we’re in good shape

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think there is a sizable difference between spending a Top 5 or Top 10 draft selection (or thereabouts) and spending a Top #25 selection. I had that argument with Captain regarding Love and my thought was at QB a #24-26 overall type selection is a cheap expenditure if he ends up being a starting caliber player. He didn’t think so, but look at how many teams spend a #1 or #2 overall selection at QB. Some even spend multiple Day 1 selections across 2-3 seasons for a good QB

While that concept does change by position, I don’t think a selecting an OL who might start out at OG and battle for a starting LT position in a couple seasons is out of ordinary. Truthfully I don’t even fully expect a #25 selection to be a starter in his Rookie campaign as some have already alluded to.
If you told me that Morgan played admirable at RG and was a slight upgrade to Runyon, then went on to become a Probowler level RG in 3 seasons etc…? Or close to that such as an alternate? I’m good.

All this said. Multiple sources claimed that moving Morgan inside initially would eventually result in Probowl level play. If that’s our worst problem we’re in good shape
IMO any position that results in a consistent pro bowl player is a successful first round pick. I'd go so far as to say I'd include kicker and punter in there as well but certainly any offensive or defensive position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Some even spend multiple Day 1 selections across 2-3 seasons for a good QB
and many do that and get a QB that flops.

No doubt getting a quality QB like Jordan Love at pick #26 is a huge feather in Gute and the Packers cap. That said, I can't help wonder where Love would be today if another team drafted him and pushed him into the starting role on Day 1.

Amazing thing about the 2020 draft, there were only 4 QB's selected in the First Round and it appears all 4 are already or will be successful.

1. Joe Burrow (Pick #1)
2. Tua Tagovailoa (#5)
3. Justin Herbert (#6)
4. Jordan Love (#26)

Then you follow it up with the 2021 draft, the draft some would have preferred Gute finding his QB in and its a completely different story.

1. Trevor Lawrence (#1)
2. Zach Wilson (#2)
3. Trey Lance (#3)
4. Justin Fields (#11)
5. Mac Jones (#15)

Scary draft for QB's! Thanks for not waiting Gute!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMO any position that results in a consistent pro bowl player is a successful first round pick. I'd go so far as to say I'd include kicker and punter in there as well but certainly any offensive or defensive position.
How about a Long Snapper? ;)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and many do that and get a QB that flops.

No doubt getting a quality QB like Jordan Love at pick #26 is a huge feather in Gute and the Packers cap. That said, I can't help wonder where Love would be today if another team drafted him and pushed him into the starting role on Day 1.

Amazing thing about the 2020 draft, there were only 4 QB's selected in the First Round and it appears all 4 are already or will be successful.

1. Joe Burrow (Pick #1)
2. Tua Tagovailoa (#5)
3. Justin Herbert (#6)
4. Jordan Love (#26)

Then you follow it up with the 2021 draft, the draft some would have preferred Gute finding his QB in and its a completely different story.

1. Trevor Lawrence (#1)
2. Zach Wilson (#2)
3. Trey Lance (#3)
4. Justin Fields (#11)
5. Mac Jones (#15)

Scary draft for QB's! Thanks for not waiting Gute!

2020 might just go down as the best QB class in a decade or more worth....anything since has sucked and you have to go back arguably to 2014 before you hit a year that had three or more legit NFL QBs which was Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr and Jimmy G (Manziel was in it too). 2018 I give honorable mention too as Mayfield is fighting to make them a class to consider with Allen, Mayfield and Lamar.

The true last class that was special was 2012 IMO - Luck, RGIII (injuries took him early), Tannehill, Wilson and Cousins all in that draft.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 of Lombardi's players. Makes you proud. So happy for Kramer. But thankful for Ringo. He played a LONG time in the NFL. Today one cannot fully grasp the value of a HOF center especially when running between the tackles.
Wasn't Jimmy Ringo the guy Lonbardi called "the best football player I've ever known?"

His accomplhments are even more amazing when you consider the fact that by reliable accounts, he never weighed a pound over 220 his entire career. That's halfback-sized, playing center on every single snap. His technique and his form were just extraordinary.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't Jimmy Ringo the guy Lonbardi called "the best football player I've ever known?"

His accomplhments are even more amazing when you consider the fact that by reliable accounts, he never weighed a pound over 220 his entire career. That's halfback-sized, playing center on every single snap. His technique and his form were just

His accomplhments are even more amazing when you consider the fact that by reliable accounts, he never weighed a pound over 220 his entire career. That's halfback-sized, playing center on every single snap. His technique and his form were just extraordinary.
It was Gregg. But Ringo was a smaller version of Mike Flanagan who played center for us late 90s-2000s. However, Ringo had a durability that maybe no other center in NFL history has eclipsed. All the years he played and how many games he started. He had to play through injury. Not sure if all that helmet crashing contributed but it was so sad that dementia got him at an earlier age than many. In Distant Replay Jerry Kramer said he went to visit Ringo and he asked his wife who are these guys?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had to play through injury. Not sure if all that helmet crashing contributed but it was so sad that dementia got him at an earlier age than many. In Distant Replay Jerry Kramer said he went to visit Ringo and he asked his wife who are these guys?
Aw, that's a sad anecdote. I had not heard that; thanks for sharing it. Poor bastard.

But yeah, you're right - that was the era of the NFL when it was common for defensive linemen to smack the offensive lineman as hard as they could on the side of the helmet as they engaged. Think of how many times this poor guy literally got punched in the side of the head (by men much larger than he was) before he was even out of his stance. And he still kept them out of the backfield.

Those were some tough men back then, damned tough men. I know we have a lot of hard men in the NFL now, too, but it's difficult for me to believe they're on the same level as those guys who were born during the Depression and WWII. I really think people were just tougher then.

I sometimes think that if guys like Ringo, Gregg, and Kramer (a man who played NFL football for years with a 7-inch long splinter of wood embedded in his freakin' groin) were transported into this era and had the physical tools even average players have today, they'd look like something out of a Marvel superhero movie.

Here's Kramer, looking at the wood fragments removed from his abdomen in 1965 - his 8th year I think in the NFL. The man played every single snap with that lumber buried in his abdomilnal muscles, and just kept going. The surgeons said those pieces of wood had just been migrating all over his lower body for years, hurting in various places all the time until they finally located them.

His locker room nickname was "Zipper" or "Zip", because of all his surgical scars. These were a very special breed of men. How many NFL linemen can you name who would or could put themselves through that today?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aw, that's a sad anecdote. I had not heard that; thanks for sharing it. Poor bastard.

But yeah, you're right - that was the era of the NFL when it was common for defensive linemen to smack the offensive lineman as hard as they could on the side of the helmet as they engaged. Think of how many times this poor guy literally got punched in the side of the head (by men much larger than he was) before he was even out of his stance. And he still kept them out of the backfield.

Those were some tough men back then, damned tough men. I know we have a lot of hard men in the NFL now, too, but it's difficult for me to believe they're on the same level as those guys who were born during the Depression and WWII. I really think people were just tougher then.

I sometimes think that if guys like Ringo, Gregg, and Kramer (a man who played NFL football for years with a 7-inch long splinter of wood embedded in his freakin' groin) were transported into this era and had the physical tools even average players have today, they'd look like something out of a Marvel superhero movie.

Here's Kramer, looking at the wood fragments removed from his abdomen in 1965 - his 8th year I think in the NFL. The man played every single snap with that lumber buried in his abdomilnal muscles, and just kept going. The surgeons said those pieces of wood had just been migrating all over his lower body for years, hurting in various places all the time until they finally located them.

His locker room nickname was "Zipper" or "Zip", because of all his surgical scars. These were a very special breed of men. How many NFL linemen can you name who would or could put themselves through that today?

I recall that incident with the splinters. And what drew attention was that the photo and article was on the front page of the sports section of most everyone major newspaper across the country and it was not at all during the football season. I got to watching more video of the Packers during Lombardi's early years. Watching the offensive line is a thing of beauty. Ringo was so quick. One of his techniques was the low undercut block which took very aggressive linemen out of the play. Today some of that may be illegal except at the line of scrimmage.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah that's a good track record with first round picks. The only guy on that list that has been a disappointment to me is Walker. And it is still too soon to tell how his career will proceed. Maybe adding another speedster in Cooper will be what Walker needs to become more lethal. Both guys are athletic, strong and fast. Good combination of skills and players in the backfield.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah that's a good track record with first round picks. The only guy on that list that has been a disappointment to me is Walker. And it is still too soon to tell how his career will proceed. Maybe adding another speedster in Cooper will be what Walker needs to become more lethal. Both guys are athletic, strong and fast. Good combination of skills and players in the backfield.
Well, as you, I and many Packer fans hope, the new DC and scheme will benefit and help players like Walker to play to their own strengths better.

I also think Walker is still developing and we will see more of what we saw in the Playoff game against the Cowboys from him. I am really hopeful that having Walker and Cooper, side by side, makes a big difference in the Packers D.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, as you, I and many Packer fans hope, the new DC and scheme will benefit and help players like Walker to play to their own strengths better.

I also think Walker is still developing and we will see more of what we saw in the Playoff game against the Cowboys from him. I am really hopeful that having Walker and Cooper, side by side, makes a big difference in the Packers D.

Agreed. And Walker did step up against the Cowboys, and I love it when players (and coaches) do that in the big games. So yeah, Walker and Cooper are gonna be great together. Opponents can't cheat by double teaming one of them, especially with Gary, LVN, and Smith roaming around. I expect both of them to get their fair share of sacks too.

Reaction score
I thought they had Walker playing too much on his heels. For me, that put him out of position. He's a guy you want playing closer to home in down hill fashion.
Cooper is a really well rounded they can use him in pass coverage it’s actually one of his stronger suits imo. Let Quay play aggressive down hill or spy the QB. Few QB’s will out run him and even fewer will run at him to begin with. He's a spine breaker but I think he’s better suited staying put or crashing the pocket.

Getting back to Morgan. I’m thinking more and more we play him at Guard IF Walker retains his Starting Level play. That would make us very stout with Morgan and Jenkins flanking Myers. I think Myers is good, but just not good enough to pick up slack for a weaker RG. I thought Runyon was just a tick above Newman. Jenkins and Morgan at Guard? and we’d be stout in the middle. I think Morgan is 2 ticks ahead of Runyon already. Morgan has already been played at 4 positions, but I think I read RG is one of his best 2 spots. That gives him a year to adjust to the Pro game and he’s bigger and stronger than Runyon and faster when pulling as a blocker. Just my two cents

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought they had Walker playing too much on his heels. For me, that put him out of position. He's a guy you want playing closer to home in down hill fashion.
Cooper is a really well rounded they can use him in pass coverage it’s actually one of his stronger suits imo. Let Quay play aggressive down hill or spy the QB. Few QB’s will out run him and even fewer will run at him to begin with. He's a spine breaker but I think he’s better suited staying put or crashing the pocket.

Getting back to Morgan. I’m thinking more and more we play him at Guard IF Walker retains his Starting Level play. That would make us very stout with Morgan and Jenkins flanking Myers. I think Myers is good, but just not good enough to pick up slack for a weaker RG. I thought Runyon was just a tick above Newman. Jenkins and Morgan at Guard? and we’d be stout in the middle. I think Morgan is 2 ticks ahead of Runyon already. Morgan has played 4 positions, but I think I read RG is one of his best 2 spots.
I was surprised Morgan played at LT in college. Physically, he seems built for guard. Well it's a nice problem to have. I'm hoping Walker continue his solid play at LT. RG would be a fine place for Morgan for the reasons you mention.

Reaction score
I was surprised Morgan played at LT in college. Physically, he seems built for guard. Well it's a nice problem to have. I'm hoping Walker continue his solid play at LT. RG would be a fine place for Morgan for the reasons you mention.
You know how we love versatility in GB. I think you ideally want a player to learn 2 starting positions. Possibly a 3rd position in a pinch. For me that concept makes it feasible to train Morgan at RG. He has less than ideal length and that can be a concern against speed rushers. We can always bring him in slowly as a backup Tackle, but I’d be a little apprehensive about starting him there Week 1. Especially if Walker is playing good just keep him put

I read at least 2 Scouting reports pre draft that projected Morgan would not only excel early at Guard, but that they felt it was such a good position fit that he’d be a Probowl level player. That sounds very appealing to me if it ends up being correct. Especially when you survey our RB room. Consisting of 1st/2nd/3rd Rounders. Thats a big time emphasis on our Run game and having the luxury of a Stout interior OL who can push people around some. No more Lions running our guy 5 yards into the pocket!

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know how we love versatility in GB. I think you ideally want a player to learn 2 starting positions. Possibly a 3rd position in a pinch. For me that concept makes it feasible to train Morgan at RG. He has less than ideal length and that can be a concern against speed rushers. We can always bring him in slowly as a backup Tackle, but I’d be a little apprehensive about starting him there Week 1. Especially if Walker is playing good just keep him put

I read at least 2 Scouting reports pre draft that projected Morgan would not only excel early at Guard, but that they felt it was such a good position fit that he’d be a Probowl level player. That sounds very appealing to me if it’s current. Especially when you survey our RB room. Consisting of 1st/2nd/3rd Rounders
Gotta give credit to Gluten for building an O line with that versatility. I think Jenkins can play every position but C. I didn't even know that Zach Tom can play C. It's always best to keep the same guys together every game but that's not feasible. But versatility allows the best healthy players to stay on the field.

Members online

Latest posts