2023 Playoffs discussion

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defensively we have Stokes and J’aire both working back into the mix likely this week or next.
Don't forget that the Packers put Stokes on IR again, so he is out until at least the NFCCG...... ;)

Honestly, I would make Jaire work his way back into the lineup. He should back up nickel or dime CB. That should help him ease back into the game, and light a fire under his ego.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget that the Packers put Stokes on IR again, so he is out until at least the NFCCG...... ;)

Honestly, I would make Jaire work his way back into the lineup. He should back up nickel or dime CB. That should help him ease back into the game, and light a fire under his ego.
This week we may need more open field tackling skills than cover ones. Some of our kids may be better chasing down Fields than Jaire.

Reaction score
The Bears also had Detroit beat just before Thanksgiving and gave it away late in that one. I just hope the one we saw earlier shows up. DJ Moore is not Jefferson but he is a threat. Hebert is almost as good as Montgomery. But the one that has to be the center of attention is Fields.
Yes. The Bears have a moderately good running game. Their Passing game is nothing special past the DJ Moore connection. Cole Kmet and Mooney are both gimpey (DNP) today. Maybe they’ll bring up the B team.. you know EQ, Tonyan and Marcedes ;)
So that helps those are 2 of their top 4 weapons.
Also the Bears Offense plays better at home (like most teams). Almost every statistical category is worse on the Road.
Notice Fields struggles in Road games with 10TD/10INT 75% passer

Game Location#PlToGoYdsAttYdsY/ATD1DCmpAttCmp%YdsY/ATDIntSk1DRateANY/A
Home5498.605.2127713454.9127716325065.216776.795228788.06.0All Home Bears plays
Away5028.624.862329794.245614724759.515966.51010237475.25.0All Away Bears plays

Reaction score
The Bears D plays good against the Run on the Road, actually better than at home. However the opposite holds true while giving up a 93.5% passer rating to opponents on the road (76% at home)

Reaction score
Steelers are basically like us in the AFC. A win today and they’d be a 7 seed. A Win and Buffalo loss and they’d be a 6th seed.
However they are playing the Baltimore bench team.
7-7 4th quarter

We need to similarly win and wed like the Rams to lose for a 6th

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears D plays good against the Run on the Road, actually better than at home. However the opposite holds true while giving up a 93.5% passer rating to opponents on the road (76% at home)
One thing I recall dating back to the Lombardi days was that whenever the Packers and Bears meet you can throw out the stats, the records, and the trends. Anything can happen and for no special reason. The ghosts of the past can show up at any moment.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steelers are basically like us in the AFC. A win today and they’d be a 7 seed. A Win and Buffalo loss and they’d be a 6th seed.
7-7 4th quarter

I thought I heard the Steelers still need some help tomorrow.

Reaction score
I thought I heard the Steelers still need some help tomorrow.
Appears you’re right. Ran the calculator multiple ways and I saw a scenario where if the Bills and Jaguars BOTH win, they missed.
If either of those 2 loses the Steelers are in and either a 7th or 6th seed. Their preferred scenario is Buffalo loses for 6th seed finish.
I didn’t mess with Tie games either.

Our scenario is (was) better. Win and we get in

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I recall dating back to the Lombardi days was that whenever the Packers and Bears meet you can throw out the stats, the records, and the trends. Anything can happen and for no special reason. The ghosts of the past can show up at any moment.
I know that is a thing. But I think it meant more with teams from the early 60's to the 80s

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Appears you’re right. Ran the calculator multiple ways and I saw a scenario where if the Bills and Jaguars BOTH win, they missed.
If either of those 2 loses the Steelers are in and either a 7th or 6th seed. Their preferred scenario is Buffalo loses for 6th seed finish.
I didn’t mess with Tie games either.

Our scenario is (was) better. Win and we get in
A little bit ago the announcers said a tie in this game gets Pitt in. Current score: Houston-17 Colts 17. LOL.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7-7 4th quarter

I sense a disturbing amount of yellow flags in Sunday's contest similar to the Indy-Houston game. Do not like it. We have had recent games with less and it made for better football. I can understand Week One. But not Week 18!.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I sense a disturbing amount of yellow flags in Sunday's contest similar to the Indy-Houston game. Do not like it. We have had recent games with less and it made for better football. I can understand Week One. But not Week 18!.
The thing that really disturbs me is the Packers' season opening beat down they leveled on the Bears. In much the same way that the L0ins pummeled the Pack round one. If I'm Eleberflus, I'm reminding the Bears of the opening game a** kicking every chance I get. If I'm Elberflus, I'm hoping that there is some pride left in that locker room. What happened in Game 1 definitely plays into Game 2 and I don't give a sh*t what anyone says - hell, I carried grudges from one season to the next - these guys remember, they're professionals.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that really disturbs me is the Packers' season opening beat down they leveled on the Bears. In much the same way that the L0ins pummeled the Pack round one. If I'm Eleberflus, I'm reminding the Bears of the opening game a** kicking every chance I get. If I'm Elberflus, I'm hoping that there is some pride left in that locker room. What happened in Game 1 definitely plays into Game 2 and I don't give a sh*t what anyone says - hell, I carried grudges from one season to the next - these guys remember, they're professionals.
Correct. And the Bears don't need a win so they can be aggressive and take chances. These games are tricky. They'll have to put a spy on Fields and make him use his arm. Fields is a decent passer, not great.

Hopefully MLF is getting his team prepped to take this into account. The Packers should certainly win, but they have to be aggessive, smart, and take the game to the Bears.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Bears-Packers it gets to be more about which team holds the reign for more than a game or two. The Bears had a huge all time win domination until the Favre-Rodgers era broke it. Papa Bear and Lombardi always had a bone to pick one year to the next. Ditka's team of the 80's provoked the Charles Martin incident. Lovey seemed to have us for a few years but then it turned. It is one game. The reason it means so much to both teams is because of what happened in the 15 games in between Week One and now. We battled for Top Dog with the Bears at the end in 1941, in 1963, in 2010, and do not forget 2013 when we were one play away from elimination. This one can be remembered but in 8 months we both start over.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which team shows up? Will they be loose and confident? Will they be tight? Drop passes make mental errors etc? Or will they be fired up and focused, execute and make the plays when they're there. This is a game that is as losable as winnable. A rival on a hot streak that would love nothing better than to ruin our season. I think Love stays calm and focused and makes the plays, and the rest of the team can come up with enough big plays to carry the day.
Packers, 27-20

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7-7 4th quarter

The way I understand it our possible opponents in week 1 would be the cowboys, Lions or Eagles. There are 4 games that have influence over who we play. Rams/49ers, Lions/vikings, cowboys/Commanders, Eagles/Giants. The Rams game will influence what seed we get (6 or 7). The Lions game will influence what seed they get (2 or 3). The cowboys and Eagles games will determine their seeds (2,3 or 5) All of what I am about to post assumes we beat the Bears.

1)If the cowboys & the Rams win we play the cowboys.

2)If the cowboys win & the Rams lose we play the Lions.

3)If the cowboys lose and the Eagles lose and the Lions win and the Rams win we play the Lions.

4)if the cowboys & the Eagles lose and the Lions lose and Rams win we play the cowboys.

5) if the cowboys, Eagles, Lions & Rams lose we play the cowboys.

6) if the cowboys lose, and the Eagles win and the Rams win we play the Eagles.

7) if the cowboys lose and the Eagles win and Rams lose we play the Lions.

8) if the cowboys and Eagles lose and the Lions win and the Rams win we play the Lions.

9) if the cowboys and Eagles lose and the Lions win and the Rams lose we play the cowboys.

I think that covers all the scenarios. Personally I'm hoping for 7 and and a win over the Rams at Lambeau in the NFCC game

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that covers all the scenarios. Personally I'm hoping for 7 and and a win over the Rams at Lambeau in the NFCC game
Thanks, I was just going to come here and ask the question, as to what other games could affect ours. I don't really care who we play, honestly, as long as we get in.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which team shows up? Will they be loose and confident? Will they be tight? Drop passes make mental errors etc? Or will they be fired up and focused, execute and make the plays when they're there. This is a game that is as losable as winnable. A rival on a hot streak that would love nothing better than to ruin our season. I think Love stays calm and focused and makes the plays, and the rest of the team can come up with enough big plays to carry the day.
Packers, 27-20
They may be more tight this week whereas last week they were going into that loud Viking stadium with no one expecting much. MLF has to fire them up but keep them under control. They have to stay pedal to the metal until the end. No stopping and looking around and patting yourself on the back. Belichick was always good at that.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steve "Homer" True in Milwaukee talked with Gary Ellerson about Bears-Packers Friday night.

Ellerson remembers going to the old Soldier Field by bus, and getting off the bus next to the stadium. It was cold and the wind was blowing. The facade of the old stadium was crumbling so bad, the players could see the dust being blown around by the wind!

After dressing for the game, an NFL official yells into the Packers locker room to take the field. As the Packers start filing out of the locker room, they look to their right and see the Bears exiting their locker room at the end of the hall with Ditka standing at the door.

When Forrest Gregg gets to the Packers locker room door, he looks down the hall and sees Ditka. Ditka sees Gregg. They run toward each other, start brawling, and had to be pulled apart and restrained by the players.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I understand it our possible opponents in week 1 would be the cowboys, Lions or Eagles. There are 4 games that have influence over who we play. Rams/49ers, Lions/vikings, cowboys/Commanders, Eagles/Giants. The Rams game will influence what seed we get (6 or 7). The Lions game will influence what seed they get (2 or 3). The cowboys and Eagles games will determine their seeds (2,3 or 5) All of what I am about to post assumes we beat the Bears.

1)If the cowboys & the Rams win we play the cowboys.

2)If the cowboys win & the Rams lose we play the Lions.

3)If the cowboys lose and the Eagles lose and the Lions win and the Rams win we play the Lions.

4)if the cowboys & the Eagles lose and the Lions lose and Rams win we play the cowboys.

5) if the cowboys, Eagles, Lions & Rams lose we play the cowboys.

6) if the cowboys lose, and the Eagles win and the Rams win we play the Eagles.

7) if the cowboys lose and the Eagles win and Rams lose we play the Lions.

8) if the cowboys and Eagles lose and the Lions win and the Rams win we play the Lions.

9) if the cowboys and Eagles lose and the Lions win and the Rams lose we play the cowboys.

Thx for doing this, although a 7th seed could never host the NFCCG.

Members online