Winter warning

What do you think of the new winter warning uniforms?

• Love the uniform and helmet

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Love the uniform the helmet not so much

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Love the helmet the uniform not so much

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Don't like for either one

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I can take or leave the whole thing

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Longjohns.
I had a specific image of a player and play in mind when I looked for the red uniforms but I couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure it was on a kickoff return as the player was the only one in the shot. I thought it was the Cardinals and these come very close but I don't recall the white on the pants or the white helmet which would have distracted me from the amount of red.

I actually think it might have been one of these but again there just seems to be too much non red but maybe the return man was wearing sleeves. Anyway my first reaction was that guy is wearing his underwear outside his uniform.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being raised in Northwestern Wisconsin, there were only two driving seasons. Ice and snow covered roads, or the pothole season. You learn to live with it, and the mosquitoes during the summer.

I can't begin to count the number of snow storms I drove through to get to work, school, or just out for the evening. Sometimes it was almost impossible to see where the road was. you'd just survey the whole area, figure out where the ditches were, and stay between them, until you met a car, then you'd scoot over a scosh so you wouldn't hit each other.

That's why I always laugh when they get a skiff of snow in areas like Austin, TX, and it's declared a disaster area, schools are closed, businesses, and government offices have abbreviated hours, and people are warned that they need to wear long johns, snowmobile suits, and ear muffs until 10 AM, when the temperatures would finally hit 70 degrees.

I can remember, back in 2011, going to a Doctor in Austin, wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I was sitting in the waiting room, with everyone staring at me. They were wearing long pants, hats, scarves, heavy coats, and thinking I was the weird one, even though the temps outside was hovering around 60. It happens now, down here in the RGV, every time I got anywhere. You can spot the Yankees immediately. Most of us wouldn't be wearing long pants except if we're going to a funeral. We live in a sub-tropical area of the US, why would we treat ourselves like we were living above the dew line?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Packers/Bears should be outside, but I'm pretty sure if and when the Bears build a new stadium, it will be a dome.......

That really would be a straight-up travesty. It's just not the Bears if they're playing under a roof.

But you're right, it's a done deal. They want a Super Bowl, and it's hard to get public funding these days for a new building unless you can promise that to the taxpayers.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I always laugh when they get a skiff of snow in areas like Austin, TX, and it's declared a disaster area, schools are closed, businesses, and government offices have abbreviated hours, and people are warned that they need to wear long johns, snowmobile suits, and ear muffs until 10 AM, when the temperatures would finally hit 70 degrees.
That is amusing. I live in Indiana, and we had a lot of snow growing up. Some people hate it, but I've always loved the change of the seasons. Unfortunately, it seems like we don't get much snow anymore. Maybe one big snow a year now, if that. Some years it doesn't seem like we even have winter. I like our trips up to Green Bay to see some games, because even in October there are often some flurries at least. Funny the difference a few hundred miles can make.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That really would be a straight-up travesty. It's just not the Bears if they're playing under a roof.

But you're right, it's a done deal. They want a Super Bowl, and it's hard to get public funding these days for a new building unless you can promise that to the taxpayers.

Not only a SB, but other mega-star bookings like (ugh) Taylor Swift and a raft of other big acts. And the only way a SB comes to Chicago is with a domed stadium. Time marches on.

I like the Arlington Heights's location. It takes concerns about building on the lakefront off the table. Arlington is accessible and parking is abundant.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

My parents lived in Mississippi from Sept to May. I used to go visit them in Feb or March and just like you see in Texas, the place shuts down when any snow flies. It's actually hilarious watching all the sliding cars and people dressed like it is 50 below.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Personally, I prefer the retractable dome stadiums, since it gives them a lot more flexibility to host different events. It will never happen, but if Lambeau Field was ever replaced, I would hope that they would consider it. Not that I would ever want to see the dome closed during a Packer game, but for concerts and other events, a nice option. Would also give Green Bay a chance to finally host a Super Bowl. Who knows, maybe they get a nice 20 degree day and keep the dome open.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The time is coming where even Green Bay will have a domed stadium. It will be a league mandate. It may be 50 to 100 years off, but rest assured, it's going to happen, because having a facility that essentially is only used for football, and a few potential fair weather events isn't a sound investment. That's why owners in the NFL say that they want open air venues, but really want retractable roof venues, and they will keep the roof closed most of the time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hard to believe that it was only 20 years ago that the Packers used to play games in Milwaukee.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
. Would also give Green Bay a chance to finally host a Super Bowl.
Unless there are a metric boatload of hotel rooms built, ain't no way there is enough hospitality rooms withing 100 miles of GB to host a SB. Now, when the NFL eventually loses popularity next century and only 1/2 million people care, it might happen.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last Packer game I attended in Milwaukee was a preseason game. We lost it to the Bears, 2-0. The only score was when a QB the Packers had, named Patrick (I think that's correct) stepped out of the back of the end zone for a safety. That was during the Green Bay inept years. My seat was directly behind a "pole," which was actually a girder, and to see the field at all, I had to lean over in front of the person next to me, on either side.

I made up my mind at that point that if I ever saw another ticket that said; "Partially obstructed view," I was going to turn and run away from it as fast as I could. That was somewhere about 1970 to 1972 if I recall correctly.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's 30 years actually. Did Favre ever hit a home run there?
Almost, in a manner of speaking.

Last Green Bay possession in the history of County Stadium... on 3 and 2 from the 9, no timeouts... the pass play broke down and he took off for the end zone, diving across the goal line with 13 seconds to go. Green Bay beats Atlanta 17-14 and makes the playoffs, only to get trout-slapped by Dallas in the 2nd round.

Sadly, this was also the game where Sterling Sharpe suffered his career-ending injury, although he did play part of the last game of the season against Tampa.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Almost, in a manner of speaking.

Last Green Bay possession in the history of County Stadium... on 3 and 2 from the 9, no timeouts... the pass play broke down and he took off for the end zone, diving across the goal line with 13 seconds to go. Green Bay beats Atlanta 17-14 and makes the playoffs, only to get trout-slapped by Dallas in the 2nd round.

Sadly, this was also the game where Sterling Sharpe suffered his career-ending injury, although he did play part of the last game of the season against Tampa.

Love that trout slapped analogy. I gotta remember it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last Packer game I attended in Milwaukee was a preseason game. We lost it to the Bears, 2-0. The only score was when a QB the Packers had, named Patrick (I think that's correct) stepped out of the back of the end zone for a safety. That was during the Green Bay inept years. My seat was directly behind a "pole," which was actually a girder, and to see the field at all, I had to lean over in front of the person next to me, on either side.

I made up my mind at that point that if I ever saw another ticket that said; "Partially obstructed view," I was going to turn and run away from it as fast as I could. That was somewhere about 1970 to 1972 if I recall correctly.
I went to one Packer game at the old County Stadium. It was November, sometime in the mid 70s, so the dark years for the Packers. It was drizzling - a very cold rain and we were covered in plastic sheets. I raised my hand to get the attention of a beer vendor, and a bunch of near-freezing water got inside my clothes and I was wet AND cold.

That was in the first half. We left, grabbed a cab, and headed home where we saw most of the second half, in dry clothes. That was my Packer experience at CS - a totally miserable place to watch a football game. Never went back. RIP.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless there are a metric boatload of hotel rooms built, ain't no way there is enough hospitality rooms withing 100 miles of GB to host a SB. Now, when the NFL eventually loses popularity next century and only 1/2 million people care, it might happen.
Agreed. Even if there was a dome in GB, and there won't be in my lifetime, you are correct that there aren't close to enough hotel rooms - well unless you count Chicago.

So even if the NFL decided to play a SB at Lambeau as it is today, open to the elements, it wouldn't be possible logistically.

Now would I still love to see a SB played there? Most definitely. But the NFL is all about maximizing $$$ for itself and the host community. It's just not gonna happen. The lack of hotel space and the lack of anything else to do but watch the game make it damn near impossible. But never say never, eh? (Still not gonna happen.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts