Which Two Wide Outs do we want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wow. Missed that one.

Bills got another underrated weapon.
I have read "rumors" in regards to a few Free Agent WR's or trades, that the Packers might have been interested in, but usually after they have signed with another team. Otherwise it has been crickets from 1265. Feels like every team but the Packers are interested in WR's. I'm starting to think that they are going to just wait out the draft, see what they get in the way of WR's and then maybe sign a FA WR.

Seems like at this point, trading for a starting caliber WR is too expensive in both draft capital and salary. There is also the chance that a decent WR is cut after the draft, to free up more money for a team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have read "rumors" in regards to a few Free Agent WR's or trades, that the Packers might have been interested in, but usually after they have signed with another team. Otherwise it has been crickets from 1265. Feels like every team but the Packers are interested in WR's. I'm starting to think that they are going to just wait out the draft, see what they get in the way of WR's and then maybe sign a FA WR.

Seems like at this point, trading for a starting caliber WR is too expensive in both draft capital and salary. There is also the chance that a decent WR is cut after the draft, to free up more money for a team.

You and many others have to stop taking "no deals done" as inaction. If there is one thing Gute has proven, he is anything but stagnant in moves both in draft, signing FAs, making trades or shuffling the roster.

I think Gute is learning the WR market for trades is just ignorant this year as was top level WR in FA. I think outside of a Julio Jones or AJ Green signing before the draft, I expect it will be draft day trades or drafts before we make a FA move again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You and many others have to stop taking "no deals done" as inaction.
I acknowledged that Gute has probably been in a few talks with various FA WR's or teams on trades. If he hasn't, something isn't right. ;)

I really don't think Gute is sitting there thinking to himself "Now how can I really tick off Poker this year, I guess I can do what has worked for the past 4 years, ignore investing in the WR position." ;)

Reaction score
I’m beginning to think we’ll also explore receiving options at TE early (as in Day 2) with reports coming out about interest in upper TE prospects. I wouldn’t even be shocked to see us package 2 picks for 1 receiving option (WR/TE) or even trade a 2023 mid round selection to firm up on our ideal guy.
I don’t think Gute is messing around, we should have 3 viable targets to throw to fairly early. He’s probably got plan A, B, C, D ready to acquire our objective.
I don’t think a 2023-3rd/4th rounder or 2022 Day 3 selection is “out of play” as means to firm up our choice.
I think we’ll see at least 1 aggressive move in the top 50. Might..might even be thinking moving up Round 1 upward 5-10 selections of our natural picks if a particular receiver in our crosshairs crosses a “near value” threshold.

In relation to the Davante offer.. We’d still be spending FAR far less than $29M+22+53 no matter how you swing it. So spending a 4th rounder is a tiny tiddlywinks (or future 3rd etc..) to shift up a gear for a particular player.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m beginning to think we’ll also explore receiving options at TE early (as in Day 2) with reports coming out about interest in upper TE prospects. I wouldn’t even be shocked to see us package 2 picks for 1 receiving option (WR/TE) or even trade a 2023 mid round selection to firm up on our ideal guy.
I don’t think Gute is messing around, we should have 3 viable targets to throw to fairly early. He’s probably got plan A, B, C, D ready to acquire our objective.

I also feel a mid round 2023 is going to get used to move in late Day 3 without costing too much of 2022 equity or even an additional early Day 3 move involving a 2023 pick as well as maybe one of our 2022 fourths.

Gute has proven one thing, he is going to move most likely at least once. Dude does not sit still or move back a lot.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Waiting until after the draft to sign a vet is prudent move, the best move.

There is virtually no point in moving up to acquire a better pick.

Its best to actually acquire more picks.

GB needs to get into the #32-45 range, there are some great players there.

Also, the 70-85, where Calvin Austin III resides; I think he is a must add to the offense.

He is one of the few playmakers that can manufacture momentum...

↓↓↓

WOW!!!

Reaction score
I also feel a mid round 2023 is going to get used to move in late Day 3 without costing too much of 2022 equity or even an additional early Day 3 move involving a 2023 pick as well as maybe one of our 2022 fourths.

Gute has proven one thing, he is going to move most likely at least once. Dude does not sit still or move back a lot.
Yes. So far his MO is aggressive and even at times fearless. Like his moves or not, Gutes not one to placate us as an audience. Some posters see that as a threat, I see it as confidence and willingness to go against popular opinion and a relative strength.

My idea of a slight trade back with #28 (to pick up more Day 2 draft capital) is really not his style. Although this year I wouldn’t mind getting aggressive for 1-2 selections inside of Rounds 1-3 that we deem early contributors (maybe a Day 1 WR or Day 2 WR or TE).

As much as I like the idea of moving back into a top 40 type? Gute might just be thinking. “Why move back when you can move up and have both?” I’m ok with that approach this season because its time to push some chips in at WR or TE, Edge or LB. OL/DL. Anywhere we can immediate 2022 season production and help our 2023 cause also.

Last edited:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I like the idea of moving back into a top 40 type? He might just be thinking. “Why move back when you can move up and have both?” I’m ok with that approach this season because its time to push some chips in at WR.

When you say both. Which WRs do you have in mind?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think a 2023-3rd/4th rounder or 2022 Day 3 selection is “out of play” as means to firm up our choice.
I think we’ll see at least 1 aggressive move in the top 50. Might..might even be thinking moving up Round 1 upward 5-10 selections of our natural picks if a particular receiver in our crosshairs crosses a “near value” threshold.

In relation to the Davante offer.. We’d still be spending FAR far less than $29M+22+53 no matter how you swing it. So spending a 4th rounder is a tiny tiddlywinks (or future 3rd etc..) to shift up a gear for a particular player.

Here's a mock draft I did to fulfill and replenish the offense.

I traded the #28 and #258 to the Lions for their #32 and #97.

#22 Chris Olave (WR)
#32 Treylon Burks (WR)
#53 Trey McBride (TE)
#59 Alec Pierce (WR)
#92 Calvin Austin III (WR)
#97 Jeremy Ruckert (TE)
#132 Marquis Hayes (OG)
#140 Jeffrey Gunter (EDGE)
#171 Markquese Bell (S)
#228 Mike Rose (LB)
#249 D'Vonte Price (RB)

I think this would be a great haul for the offense and the defense gets players that can contribute early.

The receivers each have different skills sets and had greats seasons for good teams that were all winning in the NCAA (except Memphis).

The tight ends are both diverse and effective, while capable of contributing early with the proper development.

O-Line gets a good guard and adds more depth.

Last, another RB is good insurance as both Dillon and Jones are gonna face heavy usage this season.

Price is 6'1'' 210lbs and offers a perfect blend of speed, size, and power that compliments our dynamic duo.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a mock draft I did to fulfill and replenish the offense.

I traded the #28 and #258 to the Lions for their #32 and #97.

#22 Chris Olave (WR)
#32 Treylon Burks (WR)
#53 Trey McBride (TE)
#59 Alec Pierce (WR)
#92 Calvin Austin III (WR)
#97 Jeremy Ruckert (TE)
#132 Marquis Hayes (OG)
#140 Jeffrey Gunter (EDGE)
#171 Markquese Bell (S)
#228 Mike Rose (LB)
#249 D'Vonte Price (RB)

I think this would be a great haul for the offense and the defense gets players that can contribute early.

The receivers each have different skills sets and had greats seasons for good teams that were all winning in the NCAA (except Memphis).

The tight ends are both diverse and effective, while capable of contributing early with the proper development.

O-Line gets a good guard and adds more depth.

Last, another RB is good insurance as both Dillon and Jones are gonna face heavy usage this season.

Price is 6'1'' 210lbs and offers a perfect blend of speed, size, and power that compliments our dynamic duo.

If Gute does such a draft I literally will become a Lions fan…

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You and many others have to stop taking "no deals done" as inaction. If there is one thing Gute has proven, he is anything but stagnant in moves both in draft, signing FAs, making trades or shuffling the roster.

I think Gute is learning the WR market for trades is just ignorant this year as was top level WR in FA. I think outside of a Julio Jones or AJ Green signing before the draft, I expect it will be draft day trades or drafts before we make a FA move again.
I think a trade would mean giving up an awful lot. I would give up my second first for the Commanders kid (geez Scott - remember his name-lol) - he reminds me of Robert Brooks a bit. But then it’s big contract etc. I would use the draft and sign one of the veteran WRs or maybe even two.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good article and I agree with everything he says, but the part about trading for a high end WR like Metcalf or Lockett. Packers are in enough cap hell as it is, no need to throw a lot of valuable draft assets and big money at the problem. I totally agree with his premise of finding a way to spread the ball around and the fact that they don't need 1 Pro Bowl WR, they need 3-4 good quality receivers.

Bringing in someone like Julio Jones or Will Fuller can probably be done cheap and on a 1 year basis. Use 2 out of 4 of their first 4 picks on WR's and slowly work those rookies into the rotation of Jones/Fuller, Lazard and Cobb. Heck, sign both Jones and Fuller if your plan is only 1 high pick on a WR, but I would prefer 2. Next season you probably lose Cobb and the 1 year vet(s) you signed. Could potentially lose Lazard too. So now is the time to restock your future WR's from 1-3.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bringing in someone like Julio Jones or Will Fuller can probably be done cheap and on a 1 year basis. Use 2 out of 4 of their first 4 picks on WR's and slowly work those rookies into the rotation of Jones/Fuller, Lazard and Cobb. Heck, sign both Jones and Fuller if your plan is only 1 high pick on a WR, but I would prefer 2. Next season you probably lose Cobb and the 1 year vet(s) you signed. Could potentially lose Lazard too. So now is the time to restock your future WR's from 1-3.

I am beginning to disagree with this quite heavily as not a single contract which has occurred would justify this claim yet.

I 100% support the concept of a Julio or Green signing + two Day 1/2 draft picks approach to this situation. Cobb is gone after this year...if Lazard continues keeping his catch percentage as high as he does, offers excellent blocking I think he will get a 2 to 3 year deal and be a WR2/3 of our future. Amari will hopefully after 2022's end be ready to take over for Cobb + you'll have two or more entering their second season strides.

In all honesty I know with Rodgers and the strong roster outside of WR room this team one hundred and fifty percent will be SB contenders (one of about four I predict) out of the NFC...all things to me are pointing towards 2023 being an incredible chance potentially to be even more potent.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am beginning to disagree with this quite heavily as not a single contract which has occurred would justify this claim yet.

I 100% support the concept of a Julio or Green signing + two Day 1/2 draft picks approach to this situation. Cobb is gone after this year...if Lazard continues keeping his catch percentage as high as he does, offers excellent blocking I think he will get a 2 to 3 year deal and be a WR2/3 of our future. Amari will hopefully after 2022's end be ready to take over for Cobb + you'll have two or more entering their second season strides.

In all honesty I know with Rodgers and the strong roster outside of WR room this team one hundred and fifty percent will be SB contenders (one of about four I predict) out of the NFC...all things to me are pointing towards 2023 being an incredible chance potentially to be even more potent.
I wouldn't want the Packers to sign Jones or Fuller on a long term deal, unless of course it was pretty cheap. However, I do think they can sign one of these top vets to a cheap ($5M/year) 1 year deal and help bridge the rookie learning curve gap by doing so.

I can't agree on the Packers being SB contenders with the current roster and that is even with the idea of drafting a couple of WR's high in the draft. I love the defense and I think it will be better. However, the 2021 offense sputtered at times against solid defenses. The Packers lost probably the best WR in the NFL and their second best WR on the team. Getting Bahk and Jenkins back, should help, but they are going to have to figure out the WR situation or this offense might not even get them into the playoffs. Only bringing in a couple of rookie WR's isn't going to give the Packers a SB worthy offense this year IMO.

Reaction score
When you say both. Which WRs do you have in mind?
Moving up Round 1, if Wilson falls past The Eagles/Saints first selection.” (15/16) range.

Moving back for Pickens with #28 in some capacity (Very early Round 2) and recouping half (or so) of the lost capital in the former scenario.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't want the Packers to sign Jones or Fuller on a long term deal, unless of course it was pretty cheap. However, I do think they can sign one of these top vets to a cheap ($5M/year) 1 year deal and help bridge the rookie learning curve gap by doing so.

I can't agree on the Packers being SB contenders with the current roster and that is even with the idea of drafting a couple of WR's high in the draft. I love the defense and I think it will be better. However, the 2021 offense sputtered at times against solid defenses. The Packers lost probably the best WR in the NFL and their second best WR on the team. Getting Bahk and Jenkins back, should help, but they are going to have to figure out the WR situation or this offense might not even get them into the playoffs. Only bringing in a couple of rookie WR's isn't going to give the Packers a SB worthy offense this year IMO.

Stop. Gute didn't bring back Rodgers on the deal he did, manage to bring back Campbell, Rasul and more to just sit still and expect solely two draft picks to fill the void in the WR room - I truly doubt that personally, not saying it is impossible, but highly highly improbable knowing Gute.

There is nowhere in my opinion that the team got weaker in besides WR measurably...and IMO only OL depth could be said to be worse but not starting because essentially we swap Jenkins out to start with Bakh out to start - both massive hits (although I say Jenkins holds more overall value than Bakh due to versatiliy)...but still seriously:

DB room - Jaire is coming back, Rasul didn't leave and all starters back (plus Jaire) and may see at least one maybe two picks coming
LB room - Everyone that provided significant snaps at OLB is back (Preston and Gary and Garvin) and we most likely see a pick or two coming.
DL room - swapped Keke for Reed and Heflin for Lancaster + another year experience for Slaton...and most likely additional pick for depth coming.

OL - already discussed, and most likely IMO could see additions (potentially year one starting at RT or RG) in the draft...
TE - Everyone is back, including at some point Tonyan who we didn't have last year of course after going down.
QB - bad bad mamma jamma Rodgers is back, Love another year...
RB - Taylor shined late, Hill will be healthy hopefully and of course the two headed monster is still here

WR - as we know.

We are in the NFC North.

We will most likely own the North, putting us at home for one game in the playoffs and in contention without a doubt.

You add Julio or Green to the WR room, or a trade + a decent growth in Amari or a rookie drafted I don't know how anyone could think we don't have a chance...if we didn't we never should have even considered resigning Rodgers.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moving up Round 1, if Wilson falls past The Saints first selection.

Moving back for Pickens with #28 in some capacity (Very early Round 2) and recouping half of the lost capital in the former scenario.

I like Wilson.

But I don't know about moving up to acquire him.

I just can't really justify moving up to grab a receiver.

If he falls to 22 that's one thing, it was natural.

Giving up valuable picks for a WR that isn't significantly better than the other WR prospects is a tough sell.

I am actually warming up to the idea of moving down and accumulating more picks.

I do have one WR that I would trade up for and that is only if he falls within that similar range and that would be Jameson Williams.

If not for the ACL injury would be a top 5 pick easily.

Reaction score
I like Wilson.

But I don't know about moving up to acquire him.

I just can't really justify moving up to grab a receiver.

If he falls to 22 that's one thing, it was natural.

Giving up valuable picks for a WR that isn't significantly better than the other WR prospects is a tough sell.

I am actually warming up to the idea of moving down and accumulating more picks.

I do have one WR that I would trade up for and that is only if he falls within that similar range and that would be Jameson Williams.

If not for the ACL injury would be a top 5 pick easily.
The way I see Garrett is worth a #15 range on my big board. However At #17 he’s a moderate-high value for the Packers because of need at the position and how it starts the draft momentum after that. Wilson would be worth trading our #22+#92 (plus a 2023 Day 3)
That initial selection gets us on very good footing as soon as the gate opens (it reminds me of my Cross Country days strategy of an initial small kick for positioning) Obviously, We’d still want a Perimeter WR to compliment him.

I could see pacing ourselves on the next move with a slight trade back with #28 to the Jags #33 or any non-North team early there needing a 5th year option etc:. and regaining a later 3rd rounder or better in a shift or 2. Thats more the ghost of Ted moving around than a Gute method though.

I agree on your assertion of Jameson being super appealing. Yet even then? I would not send multiple selections for anyone who can’t take the field Week 1, when we are near desperate for help at the position. Jameson is a good lesson in that in life there a reasons for everything that happens.. if we remain patient (the key ingredient in trust/Faith). In his case it’s my belief that his injury would get him with a natural pick OR so we wouldn’t get him at all. I’m good either way.

If we landed Wilson, then either a Tweener Receiver like Burks (as long as he doesn’t have any Oren in him:whistling:) or perimeter Wideout (Pickens) to compliment him I’d be elated.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You add Julio or Green to the WR room, or a trade + a decent growth in Amari or a rookie drafted I don't know how anyone could think we don't have a chance...if we didn't we never should have even considered resigning Rodgers.
There you go, you nailed the things that still have to happen. When those things actually do happen, I would say depending on the chemistry with Rodgers and his new group of WR's, we might be talking about a team that will contend for a SB.

Like you and every other Packer fan, I expect the WR room to be added to, but we all thought that in 2020 and it wasn't. So until it is, we can only speculate how it might or might not be improved.

I also think the Packers are going to miss Turner and Patrick, more than one would think.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of talk about wide outs but I wanted to put them in one place. My assumption is we don't move up and Olave, Williams and Wilson are gone. We take two within the 1st 2nd and 3rd rounds. And we can move down with a first, but not too far. One first we should use on another position. I'm going to list them first (I'll miss a few/bunch so add who you want to) and then I will make my two picks and two backups if they are not there.
1. Burks. Not sold on him. A poor man's Metcalf. Would rather trade down for someone else.
2. London. Not sold on him either. No speed or separation. Would rather trade down for someone else.
3. Dotson. Probably very good and reliable.
4. Pickens. Sounds like a very good pick.
5. Watson. Sounds really interesting. Speed, tall
6. Moore. He caught a lot of passes.
7. Pierce. Caught more than 3 balls in only 6 games.
8. Thornton. I liked his tape. Good hands.
Not sure what the fallout will be. If we use one first at another position; then will these receivers be there with our 2nd. Maybe, if we can trade the 22nd (exchange firsts and get a higher 2nd to boot or two high 2nds).
So there are a lot more receivers. But based on this, I like Pickens and Watson. I like Moore for a 3rd option and Dotson. And I just fell in love with the tape on Thornton though nobody puts him way up there.
Thanks for getting this started. I do like Burks - a poor man's Metcalf and maybe Deebo Samuels? That's a lot to wish for. I just like his measurable.

And I like Watson, who I think will be available in round 2. Take an iDL in the first, even if it's pick #22, and use #28 and a second rounder on WRs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There you go, you nailed the things that still have to happen. When those things actually do happen, I would say depending on the chemistry with Rodgers and his new group of WR's, we might be talking about a team that will contend for a SB.

Like you and every other Packer fan, I expect the WR room to be added to, but we all thought that in 2020 and it wasn't. So until it is, we can only speculate how it might or might not be improved.

I also think the Packers are going to miss Turner and Patrick, more than one would think.

Your final point I don't entirely disagree but that is only if we don't make the picks and small Kelly type signing I still expect. Folks may hate it but look for Gute to add not just one but two OL in the draft, with I argue one possibly coming before the end of Day 2 with the expectation they are the starting RG (making Newman the new moving depth piece - remember he was a Tackle in college) or RT (Yosh instantly stays a cheap experienced reserve for both sides while Jenkins is out) and an additional draft pick that is a future prospect at pure tackle or an experienced center with guard potential like a Cam Jurgens perhaps in the 4th or 5th.

I actually believe Dennis Kelly very well may be resigned depending how the draft goes if not before....if not I feel a similar type signing coming though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could argue that either way. Gute's first draft, despite landing Jaire in it, was not very good. His second draft was great, until he got out of round 2, then, not so good. Too early to grade 2020 and 2021, but so far there are highlights and lowlights in both drafts.

I'm fine with sticking to "BPA" within reason. The Packers currently have a desperate need at WR for the upcoming season and even more importantly, for years to come. There is absolutely no way he should skip that position or only address it late, like he did in 2018 with Moore, MVS and ESB.

I also don't think that drafting a WR in the 2nd and 7th is even coming close to addressing the need, unless some how you hit a homerun pretty quickly with both picks.

Thinking Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, a 2nd round rookie, a 7th round rookie and whomever is a solid WR room, really wouldn't be prudent IMO. Who knows how much longer one of the greatest QB in NFL history will be playing. Setting him up for his sunset run with a below average WR room, is not a smart move.
Agreed Poker. IMO, they need to come out of rounds 1 and 2 with two WRs, one iDL, and one OL (T or G).

Status
Not open for further replies.