Trading for Malik Willis

Reaction score
Miami just elevated former packer developmental 3rd stringer Tim Boyle over the weekend. He may even start next Monday night!?!?

Screw a team when they're desperate by taking their 2nd...this opportunity may not come around for a while. ;)

Still have Clifford waiting in the wings...maybe a bit more humble and motivated?
Considering that Miami is in the AFC East with Jets and Buffalo and now lost Tua, I’d fully expect a 2025 2nd Rounder to be a Top 40 selection. I’d be all over that in a hypothetical situation. Thats potentially another player like Cooper or Reed etc. I’m all over that

My realistic bet would be we keep Malik and IF we traded him it would be 2025 or after. Probably still getting a later Day 2 or earlier Day 3 value + his services for another year.

I really see a scenario where we’d design some plays for Malik later this year or if we make the Postseason. Only way I’d trade him is if we look awful before trade deadline and someone ponies up a 4th straight up or swaps a 3rd rounder etc.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jimmy G garnered a 2nd round pick for New England after playing well in 2 starts. I'd offer Willis to Miami for a 2nd rounder as soon as Love returns. Their "other option" is Trey Lance, and I'd think Willis offers much more upside.

Wouldn't take anything less right now, but would consider a 2nd or 1st swap during the draft in '25. Kid deserves a long-term chance to start somewhere.
I'd be happy with a 3rd or 4th for him. 2nd or higher would be unbelievable.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jimmy G garnered a 2nd round pick for New England after playing well in 2 starts. I'd offer Willis to Miami for a 2nd rounder as soon as Love returns. Their "other option" is Trey Lance, and I'd think Willis offers much more upside.

Wouldn't take anything less right now, but would consider a 2nd or 1st swap during the draft in '25. Kid deserves a long-term chance to start somewhere.
Don't even get an extra player with a 1st round swap. And maybe he could win some games for them. 1st or 2nd based on results. Wins and losses. At least I'd like that better. But I don't mind keeping him for this year and next either.

Reaction score
Just a Tidbit I came across

Across his first 2 starts Malik on 3rd down 12/17 190 yards 2TD’s
EIGHT of his 1st Downs were Passing at an incredible 11.2 per
#1 in the NFL

Malik added 5 Runs for 55 yards adding THREE more 1st downs Rushing for 11.0 per carry
#1 in the NFL

ELEVEN total-3rd down conversions in his 2 starts is #1 leaguewide across that span.

Not only were his 3rd Down numbers converted at the highest %, but they were also the highest per gain average leaguewide.

That elusiveness from College (in College Malik tied Lamar Jackson for most broken tackles in the last decade) has translated beautifully

Malik also broke a 100 year record (Red Dunn of the Chicago Cardinals 1925) for achieving TD’s through both ground and Air by a QB in system for 27 days. Dunn had held the record at 34 days in system against the Milwaukee Badgers

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"if" the Packers traded Willis this season, based on his performances over two games, the best I'd think they'd hope for would be a 5th round pick that could slide up to a 4th, and possibly a 3rd, based on performance levels that would be agreed upon. That's not a bad deal for the Packers, if he does great with another team, but kind of sucks if he doesn't and they had a solid backup that was still under a small contract through 2025.

Reaction score
"if" the Packers traded Willis this season, based on his performances over two games, the best I'd think they'd hope for would be a 5th round pick that could slide up to a 4th, and possibly a 3rd, based on performance levels that would be agreed upon. That's not a bad deal for the Packers, if he does great with another team, but kind of sucks if he doesn't and they had a solid backup that was still under a small contract through 2025.
Yeah. It’s fun to talk about but I don’t want to trade him. I still wonder if Malik can be used in some capacity as the former Packers “Taysom Hill” did in Nee Orleans. Malik is so dynamic with the ball in hand. He's really a QB and RB all in one. Willis Reminds me of the lateral speed of Keisean Nixon but a Turbo version going North n South. Plus he’s thicker and hard to take down. He stiff arms guys like a smaller TE and so he has speed, strength, arm talent, good instincts and he’s a great finisher.
There has to be a way they can get Malik and Jordan on that field simultaneously. I won’t pretend to know how to design some plays but if we’re not already considering that I think we’d be missing out.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. It’s fun to talk about but I don’t want to trade him. I still wonder if Malik can be used in some capacity as the former Packers “Taysom Hill” did in Nee Orleans. Malik is so dynamic with the ball in hand. He's really a QB and RB all in one. Willis Reminds me of the lateral speed of Keisean Nixon but a Turbo version going North n South. Plus he’s thicker with a string-low center gravity so he’s hard to take down
There has to be a way they can get Malik and Jordan on that field simultaneously. They could pitch it to him with an option to throw etc. idk but he’s obviously a very talented athlete.
Willis has been clocked at 4.4 in the 40, so your point about his running skills is accurate. He also has the size, and can take hits. There's value in him beyond just sitting on the bench waiting for Love get dinged.

It's going to be interesting seeing where it does go.

Reaction score
Willis has been clocked at 4.4 in the 40, so your point about his running skills is accurate. He also has the size, and can take hits. There's value in him beyond just sitting on the bench waiting for Love get dinged.

It's going to be interesting seeing where it does go.
Yep.
There’s also that difference between a player who runs a 4.4 at combine and a player that can put pads on and maintain that. It was kinda funny I saw an interview with Elgton Jenkins and he was speaking to how he would get out in front of Malik to make a block and when Malik ran by him he was surprised how fast he was.

It reminds me of Deebo Samuel as he ran a 4.48X 40 yard at combine but he’s still around that with weight of pads on at like 5’11X 215 pounds.

Reaction score

His NFL draft rating was a 6.41??
I had no idea until now. Thats actually a really high score. Lance had him pegged in Round 1. I think the school (Liberty) was a ding along with questions on adaptability to the Pro game.
I think he’s adapted quite Well!!
Zierlein said he’d be in that Hurts to Lamar range. Wow.

He also had a 32 Wonderlic score. So a 35 would be “near genius” A 40 is top 1% of testing.

50/50 we got us a rare Jewel. Let Clements work on him a year or two and then sell him at top Market price!!
We’re going to be rich! RICH I tell ya!
We struck oil Jed! Go tell Granny

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Willis’ time with us thus far has gone far better than expected. Probably well beyond even what LaFleur and Gute and Co could’ve even thought would happen. With that in mind - knowing how bad things could’ve been without Love (and having to play Clifford or Pratt or whoever else we could scrape up) and how well things went over the last two games with Malik - I think at this point it would have to take a seriously embarrassing offer-you-can’t-refuse type of package for us to even consider trading him midseason now.