The New Look Badgers - 2023

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Locke started his first game. The offense is new. There are injuries on the offensive line. Allen is the only real running threat we have. They're pretty much all learning a new system. Yet, despite all the drawbacks, this team showed they don't walk away from a challenge. Winning this one took a lot of work late in the game, when the coaching staff realized they had to let Locke make those throws, whether they thought he was ready or not. He showed he's ready to make them, and as soon as he, and the receivers, get their timing down, the running game will also improve.

The defense was burned early, but became a solid contributor during the second half. The majority of the running yards given up to the Illini were to their QB. Outside of that, they shut down the run fairly well, and were pure dynamite against the passing game when it counted most. Once again, injuries and learning a new system takes time. They're showing improvement.

True! Illinois isn't that good. But, don't let the fact they aren't putting up a lot of wins fool you. When this season ends, they may well have done enough to get a bowl game. Just my opinion, but any team who gets one hasn't done that bad. Not everyone plays for a nattie.

The one thing I didn't like was the lack of discipline during the first half. Too many dumb mistakes that turned into penalties, which kept the Illini in the driver's seat. That is on the coaches. You need to teach discipline, and teach it hard.

I think people need to take a deep breath, and give Fickell and his staff to get the team totally immersed in the offense, and defense, along with getting players that better fit the mold, over the next two years.

As of the end of last year, I had no idea that Fickell could reach out and bring in Texas style QBs, which in my opinion, are by and large the best group of QBs in the nation. We have three in house now, and next year, when Mordecai is gone, we have Mettauer coming in, and he's from Woodlands HS, which is in Woodlands, TX. Mordecai is from Waco, Locke is from Rockwall, TX, and Nick Evers is from Flower Mound, TX. All these schools are renowned for producing DI football QBs that are successful.

Give it time. They are still looking like an 8 win team, and that's pretty good considering where they were headed, before Fickell came on board.
I will give them credit for a 4th quarter comeback today. I hope the Packers get a few of those like the Saints game. But the Badgers prevailed on the road. Their conference rival Iowa, was in a similar predicament at home today with victory only a couple 1st downs away. Instead they throw the pick that ends the game.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I know I should be patient. I'm not seeing individual improvement (except Locke) and that is on the coaches and I have to admit that I'm very alarmed that only 2 of the top 10 prospects in the state of Wisconsin are committed to the Badgers and none of them are in the top 3. The fact that I saw false starts on the first two drives in game 7? It makes me puke.
Those penalties were killing them. I totally agree with that. It's poor execution, but I agree with you that the coaching staff is responsible for instilling the discipline in the players, to keep that from happening.

The reason it was happening? The offensive line was like hair triggers on hand guns. They were going off on their blocks a hair early. They hadn't mastered reading Locke's cadence. At halftime, it appeared they worked it out, and everything was much better. It was a work in progress, and fortunately it was ironed out.

I got to thinking about what you said, in regards to in-state candidates. I think there is two reasons so many chose to go elsewhere.This is just an opinion, because I can't say I'm positive about it. Just an opinion. I believe it's because the players believe the competition has stiffened in Madison, and they see it easier to get field time with other programs. Also, I believe that a lot of the talent believes they don't fit the model of players who will fit into the system, as well as they would in the old program, which was pretty much 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Their perception of how Wisconsin has started recruiting far from home, not giving preference to home boys like the past administrations have. Sometimes it's nothing more than a question of perceptions these kids have, not reality. It was Fickell's first recruiting cycle this year, and these kids could see Fickell preferring the kids they reached out to get, over the home grown talent. It's often a mind game, and opposing coaches do the whole psychological thing to pull kids away from other programs.

What I'm concerned about, with Locke, is how much his game progressed over the course of one game. Was it a fluke? We saw years wasted with Mertz, after he had one great game against, of all teams, Illinois.

I'm still holding out for 8 wins this year. I don't think they'll win the West, but I do believe they'll be happy with getting a bowl game. I know I'll be happy if that happens.

With Ohio State next up, I think we're going to see the Badgers get ripped apart. Every weakness, and lack of experience is going to be exposed. I sure hope people don't hinge the future on what they see, because this is a team that's still being built to make waves in the Big 10. As I keep saying. We need to be patient.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
15 passes, 10 runs.
22 mph wind.
Backup QB
0 points
0 touchdowns in last two weeks
Fickell has got to be a complete idiot. He needs to take his AirRaid crap and shove it.
Well, that didn't age well ;)

This team is still trying to find its identity, as well as improve with the new coaching staff and better players coming in. Give it time.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I got to thinking about what you said, in regards to in-state candidates. I think there is two reasons so many chose to go elsewhere.
You kind of touched on it and kind of didn't. I believe that the Badgers used to hit the State of Wisconsin hard for recruiting purposes, because they didn't have a lot of luck competing with the big boys in other states. So they felt it was important to put Wisconsin kids as their #1 priority to land. Fickell was in the OSU program for what 15+ years and @ Cincinnati for 6. He has taken the approach to go after big names throughout the country.

The other factor and probably a big one, is that recruiting for the next class (Juniors in H.S.) starts well before the end of the season. So when Fickell started his recruiting process for the Badgers last year, he had spent his prior efforts recruiting for the Cincinnati 2024 class. As Chryst was probably doing for the Badgers. Guys that were juniors last year may have said to themselves "Coach Paul is out, now where do I go?" Meanwhile, Fickell had to convince all his 2024 recruits that Wisconsin was a better place to follow him, than Cincy.

I guess in 3-4 years, we will find out just how successful Fickell's recruiting is. I also think that if Fickell's program is really successful, the top players in Wisconsin will have the Badgers as their #1 destination.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You kind of touched on it and kind of didn't. I believe that the Badgers used to hit the State of Wisconsin hard for recruiting purposes, because they didn't have a lot of luck competing with the big boys in other states. So they felt it was important to put Wisconsin kids as their #1 priority to land.
Allocating 10-15% of the recruiting budget of other big programs pretty much mandated staying close to home when recruiting.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Allocating 10-15% of the recruiting budget of other big programs pretty much mandated staying close to home when recruiting.
I assume that was for the previous admin.?

Yeah, that would make sense to stay close to home, if they were on that fixed of a budget.

Sounds like the Badger Football program has spent double what they have in the past on recruiting. Kind of confused by this article though, since the way they account for recruiting dollars has changed too.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
These numbers are a bit easier to "translate".

2022 Big Ten football recruiting budgets​

1. Michigan: $2,240,064
  2. Rutgers: $1,609,032
  3. Penn State: $1,486,521
  4. Maryland: $1,380,974
  5. Ohio State: $1,292,799
  6. Illinois: $1,157,460
  7. Minnesota: $1,127,389
  8. Nebraska: $1,020,050
  9. Michigan State: $955,303
  10. Purdue: $878,651
  11. Wisconsin: $857,490
  12. Indiana: $826,713
  13. Iowa: $577,589

Average annual recruiting budget, 2017-22​

1. Michigan: $1,353,431
  2. Penn State: $1,240,848
  3. Nebraska: $937,279
  4. Minnesota: $904,139
  5. Rutgers: $879,494
  6. Ohio State: $845,113
  7. Illinois: $749,850
  8. Michigan State: $721,879
  9. Maryland: $683,200
  10. Indiana: $606,147
  11. Purdue: $602,360
  12. Iowa: $459,128
  13. Wisconsin: $392,724

Big Ten and national recruiting rankings, Class of 2023​

1. Ohio State (5th nationally)
  2. Penn State (13th)
  3. Michigan (17th)
  4. Michigan State (23rd)
  5. Nebraska (24th)
  6. Maryland (36th)
  7. Iowa (40th)
  8. Illinois (43rd)
  9. Minnesota (44th)
  10. Northwestern (46th)
  11. Rutgers (57th)
  12. Wisconsin (58th)
  13. Purdue (67th)
  14. Indiana (72nd)

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at the list you think "OMG, 2 out of 10", but Roy isn't a Wisconsin kid, really he has only been in Wisconsin a few years and Harbour and Smith are on the same HS team and going to PSU, another is going to PSU and another top 10 is going to UCLA so, not like Wisconsin is losing out to Division II schools.

I've seen their 2024 recruiting class somewhere in the mid 20s. They really need to think outside of the state which is what they have been doing.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If you look at the list you think "OMG, 2 out of 10", but Roy isn't a Wisconsin kid, really he has only been in Wisconsin a few years and Harbour and Smith are on the same HS team and going to PSU, another is going to PSU and another top 10 is going to UCLA so, not like Wisconsin is losing out to Division II schools.

I've seen their 2024 recruiting class somewhere in the mid 20s. They really need to think outside of the state which is what they have been doing.
I agree on needing to broaden their net. That doesn't mean you want to stop recruiting the top Wisconsin kids, but if the Badgers are ever going to compete with OSU, Michigan and the other big dogs, they are going to need more than just "Big Wisconsin Farm Boys".

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that didn't age well ;)

This team is still trying to find its identity, as well as improve with the new coaching staff and better players coming in. Give it time.
Yeah? You ok with scoring 6 points against Iowa using the same run/pass ratio.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree on needing to broaden their net. That doesn't mean you want to stop recruiting the top Wisconsin kids, but if the Badgers are ever going to compete with OSU, Michigan and the other big dogs, they are going to need more than just "Big Wisconsin Farm Boys".
That's always been the case. We should not be losing top in state linemen to ANYONE!

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
With this coaching staff? Fickell is an absolute meathead. Last week, 38 passes, 22 runs. On a windy day, with two QB's that do not have big or exceptionally accurate throwing arms plus receivers who are average B1G receivers. He's a total chump in my book until he proves otherwise. This team is hard to watch. I haven't felt this way about a Badger team since Sherer was QB (2008?).
I'm not with you on this one. Fickell has proven in the past that he is a good football coach and a solid recruiter. I'm in favor of giving him time. There are some things I don't like about the offense for sure. For example, being in shotgun and handing the ball off to Allen 6 yards behind the line of scrimmage and especially in short yardage situations. It just doesn't make sense to me. Obviously, Allen still had a great game, but I'd like to see a little more under center. I think Locke figured some things out yesterday and will progress moving forward. Word has it, they guy is the hardest working player on the team. I think he will continue to grow and make the most of his opportunity. I think the Badgers could do a lot worse than Fickell.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah? You ok with scoring 6 points against Iowa using the same run/pass ratio.
Your post appeared to be at halftime of the Illinois game. The offense played better in the second half and won the game.

IMO, you are over reacting and not giving the coaching staff, a freshman QB or the whole team in general, enough time to get out from under what Paul Chryst and the previous coaches/recruiters left them with. It's hard/impossible to build a solid team in the NCAA, in the amount of time that Fickell has had with this team. This isn't the NFL where you can have a great draft, some solid Free Agent signings and suddenly are competing for a SB. College programs rely on recruiting guys in H.S., waiting until they eventually graduate and hopefully stay committed. The transfer portal and NIL money has added even bigger hurdles for the lessor teams to try and become elite.

Fickell and his staff are still in the infancy stages of righting this program. Changing their recruiting methods, their marketing methods and hopefully injecting a lot more talent into the yearly Badger roster. Give it some time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's always been the case. We should not be losing top in state linemen to ANYONE!
That trend started with Chryst and probably one of the top 3 factors of why he was given his marching orders. Again, give it some time. If Fickell and his staff begin to turn this program around, which I think they will, they won't have a lot of trouble recruiting in State.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That trend started with Chryst and probably one of the top 3 factors of why he was given his marching orders. Again, give it some time. If Fickell and his staff begin to turn this program around, which I think they will, they won't have a lot of trouble recruiting in State.

I hope you're right. I'm gobbling chill pills but my biggest concern is that no one has pointed out to Fickell that 75% of the games played from October 15 through the end of the season are likely to take place in considerably less than ideal conditions for pass heavy offenses. Wind, rain or snow can easily occur every weekend at half a dozen venues that we are likely to play.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the Badgers have already have 6 commits for the offensive line next year, and have what they need to improve the team. They are also using several scholarships to reach out into areas where we've never been actively recruiting, and some of those kids might be just as good, if not better, than some of these home boys everyone's so enthused about. Just because they're from Wisconsin doesn't automatically make them better.

One of the biggest problems with our recruiting practices was that they didn't reach out into other areas, the start getting traction on skill players. Now they are.

Give it time. If anyone believed this team was better than 8 wins, they bought in on way too much in the way of hype.

Take a step back and think for a moment. They are 5-2. Based on last season, who would have thunk it? After getting their knuckles bloodied against OSU this coming Saturday evening, expect them to rattle off some wins, as long as our new QB stays healthy. We're going to need him, because the next guy up is kinda suspect based on the system, not based on talent. QB is one of those positions where you skills set has to match a system, to make it work.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope you're right. I'm gobbling chill pills but my biggest concern is that no one has pointed out to Fickell that 75% of the games played from October 15 through the end of the season are likely to take place in considerably less than ideal conditions for pass heavy offenses. Wind, rain or snow can easily occur every weekend at half a dozen venues that we are likely to play.

I'm actually more disappointed in the defense. After so many years of pretty solid defenses, the current one hasn't lived up to expectations. There again, I need to listen to my own advice and give it time.

Losing Chez Mellusi to a fractured fibula was a bigger blow to the offense than some would think. Braelon Allen is a great RB, but he needs breathers and gets dinged up. The 1-2 punch of those 2 guys had gotten them out of many offensive funks in the past.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why I'm not worried. The QB position is in good hands going into next year. Locke is going to be solid. If not, Nick Evers could also be ready to challenge him. Mettauer is coming in as a freshman next year. What you've seen out of Locke is the Texas high school quarterback factory look. All three of these kids, as well as Mordecai, are from Texas.

On running backs, the Badgers will continue to raid the east, and will have a sold RB. They also have a good one out of the Chicago area, and a Wisconsin kid as well.

On defense, they have a lot of talented guys learning to play together, and next year, they are adding some solid candidates from outside Wisconsin. It's that way across the board. Plenty to be happy about.

Krabs

Reaction score
I believe the Badgers have already have 6 commits for the offensive line next year, and have what they need to improve the team.
Currently, the Badgers have 5 commits on the offensive line. One 4 star in Kevin Heywood out of PA. Four 3 star commits (WI, MN, NY, PA). That's a very good start in improving and adding to the oline.
They are also using several scholarships to reach out into areas where we've never been actively recruiting, and some of those kids might be just as good, if not better, than some of these home boys everyone's so enthused about. Just because they're from Wisconsin doesn't automatically make them better.
Most of the commits are not from WI that are coming in for 2024.
This is why I'm not worried. The QB position is in good hands going into next year. Locke is going to be solid. If not, Nick Evers could also be ready to challenge him. Mettauer is coming in as a freshman next year. What you've seen out of Locke is the Texas high school quarterback factory look. All three of these kids, as well as Mordecai, are from Texas.
WI will be loaded at QB for the first time that I can ever remember. We always had a guy like Stave and no one to compete with him. There's competition there for sure.
On running backs, the Badgers will continue to raid the east, and will have a sold RB. They also have a good one out of the Chicago area, and a Wisconsin kid as well.
They landed a 4 star RB out of Maryland named Dilin Jones. Dude is a stud. As you mentioned, they landed Darrion Dupree out of Chicago. They also landed Ituka out of Maryland who is a 3 star RB too. They will continue to be RB U.
On defense, they have a lot of talented guys learning to play together, and next year, they are adding some solid candidates from outside Wisconsin. It's that way across the board. Plenty to be happy about.
They have landed several defensive players that are rated 3 star. Only one is from WI. Good, bad, or indifferent.

Currently, the 2024 class ranks 25th in the nation. Obviously, this is just a ranking and the players have to perform. I think Fickell has proven that he can develop players as well. Ohio St., Penn St., Michigan and Nebraska are the only B1G schools that have a higher rated recruiting class and Nebraska ranks only one spot above UW at 24. I'm excited for what the future holds at WI. Good stuff @Voyageur, gave me some good thoughts to piggyback off of.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently, the Badgers have 5 commits on the offensive line. One 4 star in Kevin Heywood out of PA. Four 3 star commits (WI, MN, NY, PA). That's a very good start in improving and adding to the oline.

Most of the commits are not from WI that are coming in for 2024.

WI will be loaded at QB for the first time that I can ever remember. We always had a guy like Stave and no one to compete with him. There's competition there for sure.

They landed a 4 star RB out of Maryland named Dilin Jones. Dude is a stud. As you mentioned, they landed Darrion Dupree out of Chicago. They also landed Ituka out of Maryland who is a 3 star RB too. They will continue to be RB U.

They have landed several defensive players that are rated 3 star. Only one is from WI. Good, bad, or indifferent.

Currently, the 2024 class ranks 25th in the nation. Obviously, this is just a ranking and the players have to perform. I think Fickell has proven that he can develop players as well. Ohio St., Penn St., Michigan and Nebraska are the only B1G schools that have a higher rated recruiting class and Nebraska ranks only one spot above UW at 24. I'm excited for what the future holds at WI. Good stuff @Voyageur, gave me some good thoughts to piggyback off of.
Another thing that people need to remember is that Fickell and his crew have already shown us how good they are at grabbing players out of the portal that can help immediately. Some people think it's all about getting 4 or 5 star players, but that's not necessarily the case. Often, the idea is to get guys who are pretty darned good, but stuck behind some guy on another team, who has two years to go, and is going to be a first couple rounds NFL pick. They look for a place to play for at least two years, and improve their own draft potential.

From what I've seen of Fickell's portal grabs, they really know what they're doing. I'm thumbs up on that area of the game as well.

A couple of things that a lot of people don't realize, about the Wisconsin offensive line. The returning Badgers, from before Fickell, were coached to play a tighter formation. In the Air Raid, there are splits between the linemen, and the way they need to block, and assignments, are often way different than they've ever encountered before. Personally, I think they're doing quite well, under the circumstances. Then there's the defense. Square pegs and round holes in some cases. Some darned good athletes are finding it difficult getting on the field because they're still learning the nuances of how to play in this defense. I think they're progressing fairly well, and there are some real studs out there who are on the verge of exploding.

No matter what happens against Ohio State, people should NOT read anything into it. They should get destroyed! It's like a Wisconsin Jr. High team playing against Georgia. You know it's not going to be pretty, because they're just starting to build the program.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing that people need to remember is that Fickell and his crew have already shown us how good they are at grabbing players out of the portal that can help immediately. Some people think it's all about getting 4 or 5 star players, but that's not necessarily the case. Often, the idea is to get guys who are pretty darned good, but stuck behind some guy on another team, who has two years to go, and is going to be a first couple rounds NFL pick. They look for a place to play for at least two years, and improve their own draft potential.

From what I've seen of Fickell's portal grabs, they really know what they're doing. I'm thumbs up on that area of the game as well.

A couple of things that a lot of people don't realize, about the Wisconsin offensive line. The returning Badgers, from before Fickell, were coached to play a tighter formation. In the Air Raid, there are splits between the linemen, and the way they need to block, and assignments, are often way different than they've ever encountered before. Personally, I think they're doing quite well, under the circumstances. Then there's the defense. Square pegs and round holes in some cases. Some darned good athletes are finding it difficult getting on the field because they're still learning the nuances of how to play in this defense. I think they're progressing fairly well, and there are some real studs out there who are on the verge of exploding.

No matter what happens against Ohio State, people should NOT read anything into it. They should get destroyed! It's like a Wisconsin Jr. High team playing against Georgia. You know it's not going to be pretty, because they're just starting to build the program.
24-10 was not total destruction. OSU has a better D this season. I did not like that 1st quarter fumble. That rule that lets teams push the runner is causing the game to be more like rugby and people will get hurt.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
24-10 was not total destruction. OSU has a better D this season. I did not like that 1st quarter fumble. That rule that lets teams push the runner is causing the game to be more like rugby and people will get hurt.
I was impressed with how the Badgers played, despite the mishaps in the first half. They were tenacious. Losing Braelon Allen to an injury was devastating in the 2nd half. Still, Locke was able to put a score on the board with the help of some good receivers, and his feet. I think they did very well under the circumstances.

The future looks bright. I still see them able to win 8 games this year. That's what I counted before the season started. That, to me, would be one heckuva good season considering all the changes that have been made.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree with both posts about the OSU game. Anyone expecting a Badger win against one of the best teams in the Country hasn't been keeping up with reality. The Buckeyes are still one of the Nations Powerhouses and the Badgers are hopefully building towards that.

My only criticism for the game was I think Longo called a bit too conservative of a game. Some of that might have been due to Locke starting only his 2nd game and Allen getting knocked out of the game, but it seemed to be "run up the middle or pass" for most of the game. The QB draw was probably one of the best calls of the night. Hopefully Allen won't be out too long, Acker was their #3 RB starting the season and there seems to be a pretty big gap between him and Allen in regards to talent.

Krabs

Reaction score
I was impressed with the overall performance by the Badgers. It gave me hope that they are headed in the right direction. I just think the defense finally wore down against a superior offense. They just gave up too much on the ground and there in comes the fatigue. That, and their defense is really good. Allen going down obviously hurt a lot. I'm curious if he sits against Indiana. I think Indiana is hands down the worst team in the B1G and if there is any game they don't need him it is this one. Offensively, I thought Locke was solid for a freshman. He protected the ball. He just needs to up his completion percentage a bit. I think he is good though and is showing he belongs. Only room for improvement.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm curious if he sits against Indiana. I think Indiana is hands down the worst team in the B1G and if there is any game they don't need him it is this one.
While I agree that Indiana isn't a very good football team, they actually had a great chance to beat PSU on Saturday @ PSU. Down by 3 with 5 minutes to go, they intercepted the ball and had it as the PSU 21. They couldn't punch a potentially winning TD in and kicked a FG to tie it up with 2 minutes to go. PSU rolled for a TD (57 yard bomb) and safety in the final 2 minutes to look like they comfortably won. So yeah, Indiana hasn't looked very good, but they might be better than expected.

Members online

No members online now.