Badger 2024 Volleyball

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not certain what's wrong, but this team is not a contender, and probably won't be, later in the season. They're making mistakes out there on the court that they weren't last year, and if you look at the stats from tonight, we only have a couple of players who can deliver kills.

I noticed Kelly is using some of is younger players in spurts. Might as well find out what he's got for next year, because this year is slowly ebbing away.

The setting was horrible tonight. The ball was too low constantly, even though the sets were often easy to make. Our net game suffered because of it.

Kelly needs to do something quick or this is a middle of the pack Big 10 team at best, and quite honestly, that will hurt recruiting pretty significantly.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not certain what's wrong, but this team is not a contender, and probably won't be, later in the season. They're making mistakes out there on the court that they weren't last year, and if you look at the stats from tonight, we only have a couple of players who can deliver kills.

I noticed Kelly is using some of is younger players in spurts. Might as well find out what he's got for next year, because this year is slowly ebbing away.

The setting was horrible tonight. The ball was too low constantly, even though the sets were often easy to make. Our net game suffered because of it.

Kelly needs to do something quick or this is a middle of the pack Big 10 team at best, and quite honestly, that will hurt recruiting pretty significantly.
Minny is a tough team, especially at home. I think they had won 16 straight sets, until the Badgers took Set #1. I'm not as disappointed in the outcome as you. A W would have been nice, but nonetheless, it was a very close match and I did see improvement in the Badgers game.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minny is a tough team, especially at home. I think they had won 16 straight sets, until the Badgers took Set #1. I'm not as disappointed in the outcome as you. A W would have been nice, but nonetheless, it was a very close match and I did see improvement in the Badgers game.
Unless those sets get higher, we're in trouble. When you have players the height we do, you take advantage of it, by skying the set so they can go up and drive it down. They're ending up trying to push the ball past extended hands, not down at them with angles that keep the ball from being blocked back at us. So far, that's Charlie's only weakness, and it comes in spurts. She's talented, but just learning the game at height. That's what separates it so much from the HS game. The height of players.

When you look at the number of kills slammed down the Badgers throats last night, and seeing setters covering up because they are getting bullet shots right at them, you need to work on that elevation of sets.

But, that's about all I can say. A lot of what I offered there was from my daughter, who was all conference in HS volleyball for two years, and played for two years at a DIII level in college, until she decided to concentrate more on her studies to get two degrees.

My daughter is 5-10, and in HS, that's fairly tall for volleyball. In college, she was a midget, and was a setter. Her coach kept pounding on her to set the ball higher, because he had some strikers who were over 6-2. She was used to setting for the 5-10 to 6-0 girls.

Members online

No members online now.