The New Look Badgers - 2023

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm going to give it some time...and space...so much space in fact, that these guys will feel like Captain Kirk if they blow their *** against Washington State again.

I was hugely unimpressed with the defensive performance. Granted, Mordecai's giving up two INT's did the Badger D no favors BUT, for a B1G (god, I miss typing Big 10) defense to give up over 300 yds of total offense to a MAC school ... Buffalo's QB had a clean pocket the entire game and yeah, I get it, the Badgers aren't going to show much in what amounts to a pre-season game, but really, NO sacks - 5 pressures?? NOTHING? I would not be surprised to see the Badgers drop 2 or 3 spots in the rankings after a win and rightly so ... allowing the equivalent of Jack 'n' Harry's Polytechnical Institute and Bar and Grill get two scores is worrisome (for now).

There better not be another Waz00 2022 reprise. THAT was a harbinger for the remainder of the season.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to give it some time...and space...so much space in fact, that these guys will feel like Captain Kirk if they blow their *** against Washington State again.

I was hugely unimpressed with the defensive performance. Granted, Mordecai's giving up two INT's did the Badger D no favors BUT, for a B1G (god, I miss typing Big 10) defense to give up over 300 yds of total offense to a MAC school ... Buffalo's QB had a clean pocket the entire game and yeah, I get it, the Badgers aren't going to show much in what amounts to a pre-season game, but really, NO sacks - 5 pressures?? NOTHING? I would not be surprised to see the Badgers drop 2 or 3 spots in the rankings after a win and rightly so ... allowing the equivalent of Jack 'n' Harry's Polytechnical Institute and Bar and Grill get two scores is worrisome (for now).

There better not be another Waz00 2022 reprise. THAT was a harbinger for the remainder of the season.
Your points are solid. It's so difficult to defend some of the things that happened out there. The two INTs were definitely on Mordecai, nobody else. He hit them dead on with them. The lack of a pass rush bothered me too, until I realized that the Badgers were actually going three deep across the board on defense, and using a lot of skill players on offense as well during the game, because of the heat. They will have growing pains, and the entire game was a teaching moment.

Next week is going to tell us a lot, no doubt about it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the Badger players and coaches went into the locker room at halftime and collectively said "Woah, we underestimated how good the Bulls were". That is on the coaching staff IMO. It is their job to get the players ready for any team, even a MAC opponent. That said, you see this all the time, even from the big dogs like Ohio State, Alabama, etc. You enter a game that you are favored to win by 20+ points and you find yourself going through the motions and pretty soon staring at the reality that it will take more than that to win.

That said, like a few of us are saying, these are good teaching moments and I think we saw that with not just the players, but the coaches in the second half. Much better effort on all sides of the ball and the mistakes will get cleaned up. As far as Mordecai and the defense, the coaches are going to need to get them in a position to thrive. I understand the **** and dunk game that OC Phil Longo decided to go with, but the Bulls figured it out quickly and by sticking to it, he put his QB into a position to fail.

They brought their C- minus game yesterday, next Saturday, they better bring their B+ game to beat Washington State. The Cougars put up 50 points on Saturday, with their QB Cameron Ward putting up 451 yards through the air.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
The first game at home against the Buffalo Bulls, should be the typical NC, Camp Randall-opener, cake-walk. We might see a general glimpse of the change in the Badgers. However, I think the game at 33,000 seat Martin Stadium in Pullman, WA, will be the first "prove it" game for Fickell and his staff.

I know we are all excited about the New Badgers, but talk is cheap, time to see it on the field. I don't expect the Badgers to look like Ohio State, by week 2, but I do expect to see a much improved, wide open offense. A PC coached Badger team might go into Martin stadium looking to scratch out a win. I expect a Fickell coached Badger team to go in there and want to put on a show. A show that other Big10 teams will see and say "Oh crap...this guy is legit and the Badgers are officially dangerous."
After Saturday I am changing my tune. I'm now worried about this weeks game vs Washington St.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After Saturday I am changing my tune. I'm now worried about this weeks game vs Washington St.

Yeah, that isn't going to be a cakewalk for sure. The Badgers are going to have their hands full and if the same team shows up, that we saw in the first half of Saturday's game, it could be a long night in Pullman!

I'm flying to Alaska on Saturday via Seattle, might fly right over the game!

Krabs

Reaction score
Turns out, the stats were not that different than any other Wisconsin Football game. QB play was below average and the running backs ruled the day. That's the short story.

Mordecai threw two really bad interceptions. Now, right before his first INT he hit Bell in perfect stride right down the middle. It was an easy touchdown throw of about 60 yards. Bell completely dropped it. A WR couldn't ask for a better ball. Regardless, he threw two really bad interceptions. The offense clearly has changed. Every play was from the shotgun and they never huddled the whole game. Allen had 7 catches out of the backfield. Pauling had 5 catches on basically slants and screens. However, the results were the same. Mellusi with 157 yards and Allen with 141 yards. Both guys had two touchdowns a piece. I'm with everyone else on this. I'm fine with Mordecai getting another shot next week. First game jitters is what I will chalk it up to.

I was way less impressed with the defense. They gave up multiple runs off of HB draw plays. They gave up over 100 yards on the ground. They seemed to be playing on their heels, especially the first half. They need to shore up tackling big time.

Special teams were fine. Vakos hit all of his extra points and his lone FG. Nothing given up for returns. Solid special teams day. Bertrams could use a little more distance on his punts.

A lot to work on. I'm still confident that this team can with 9 to 11 games. Just have to clean up the fundamentals.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans need to remember that this was the first game under a new system, with new coaches, and a team that has been largely rebuilt, on both sides of the ball. The first half of the first game was nothing more than a school, to learn what they needed to do to execute their game plan. I think they did pretty good, considering they hadn't played a lick together in the past.

Of course I still don't have those lofty hopes of winning 11 games. I'd settle for 9 or 10, with the knowledge that next year will be even better. Lots of talent will be ready to take the field, and there's going to be new blood added to the team. It's onward and upward.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Turns out, the stats were not that different than any other Wisconsin Football game. QB play was below average and the running backs ruled the day. That's the short story.

Mordecai threw two really bad interceptions. Now, right before his first INT he hit Bell in perfect stride right down the middle. It was an easy touchdown throw of about 60 yards. Bell completely dropped it. A WR couldn't ask for a better ball. Regardless, he threw two really bad interceptions. The offense clearly has changed. Every play was from the shotgun and they never huddled the whole game. Allen had 7 catches out of the backfield. Pauling had 5 catches on basically slants and screens. However, the results were the same. Mellusi with 157 yards and Allen with 141 yards. Both guys had two touchdowns a piece. I'm with everyone else on this. I'm fine with Mordecai getting another shot next week. First game jitters is what I will chalk it up to.

I was way less impressed with the defense. They gave up multiple runs off of HB draw plays. They gave up over 100 yards on the ground. They seemed to be playing on their heels, especially the first half. They need to shore up tackling big time.

Special teams were fine. Vakos hit all of his extra points and his lone FG. Nothing given up for returns. Solid special teams day. Bertrams could use a little more distance on his punts.

A lot to work on. I'm still confident that this team can with 9 to 11 games. Just have to clean up the fundamentals.
Well put and I agree. As you said, the defense was my biggest disappointment too. Maybe we got spoiled by the defenses that Aranda and Leonhard consistently put out there. Our once strong LB group seemed to be weak.

It won't help that Turner has to sit out the first half of the WA game, due to his targeting call. I still do not like how they rule on those. I feel they need to look for intention. When a ball carrier is moving, how the heck is a guy that is also moving, trying to make the tackle, suppose to know exactly how to adjust his body, so that the crown of his helmet doesn't strike the other player? Sure, throw the flag, mark the 15 yards off, but throwing a player out of the game and then tacking on another half of a game? Just a miserable rule. Seems Fickell agrees.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fortunately planes have holding tanks. With the number of commercial airlines flying over the US at any given moment, it would be like a (4-letter word) storm.
Wish we could say the same about ocean vessels. I just can't believe that there are still cruise ships and other craft that think that the Ocean is an OK dumping ground.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm don't believe I'm over-reacting if I say that the title on this thread is at this point in time a bit misleading. I think I was watching a recording of LAST year's team. Took 'er right up the ol' WAZ00 again.

However, this "new look" is bound to surface at some point in time, soooo... Goooo Bucky. Could be worse, could be a Don Morton team, right?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a tough way of learning how much they have to do to be a Power 5 competitor. The Badgers had their good moments, and bad. The defense quite honestly doesn't seem to know how to tackle, and is sometimes totally out of sync. Tressel has a lot of work to do, if he even expects them to hold their own against the average Big 10 offense.

On offense, Nelson was a disaster at left tackle. Either he gets a lot better, or he needs to be replaced. Sister Rosemary in a wheel chair could have done a better job at the Palouse than he did. We also need to see our receivers hang onto passes. As far as the running game, until they can open holes for our RBs, it's non-existent.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no this is year 1 of post Chryst horse&^%$. Fickel will build a program but right now this is a seriously poor team. Our enormous UW lineman are a bunch of patty caking lackeys. Washington St is not and I repeat NOT a worthy opponent. The culture has changed back to the 70s UW teams. Ton of work and personnel turnover is needed.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no this is year 1 of post Chryst horse&^%$. Fickel will build a program but right now this is a seriously poor team. Our enormous UW lineman are a bunch of patty caking lackeys. Washington St is not and I repeat NOT a worthy opponent. The culture has changed back to the 70s UW teams. Ton of work and personnel turnover is needed.
Okay, but I think you're being a little harsh. ***** isn't a bad team. They should win about 9 games this year. They're now rated #23, but not certain they should be in the top 25 any more than the Badgers should have been before Saturday.

My question is, how does ***** compare to the average Big 10 team? No doubt they'd finish towards the bottom, but there's beatable teams in the Big 10 West, so that's helpful to us.

Gonna have to see how quickly they can get those square pegs rounded out to fit the holes.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a worthy opponent. They beat you back to back home and away. Not sure how you define a worthy opponent??

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
...., but there's beatable teams in the Big 10 West, so that's helpful to us.
Are the Badgers in the West? If so, we're one of the beatables ( HELP! We need somebody .. HELP! Not just anybody... HELLLLLPPPP!)

Krabs

Reaction score
Then what are the Badgers? LOL
The Badgers have won B1G titles and been to the B1G Championship multiple times. How many times has Washington St. been? They have beaten WI twice in a row now. That is concerning for the Badgers. There's reason to be concerned for Badger fans. I don't think that pointing out that they lost to a team two years in a row that they should have easily beaten makes Washington St's program better. It shows the decline in the Badgers and the work Fickell has to do.

Krabs

Reaction score
It's been a while, so I figured I'd drop out a UW line here on this season and the next game against Rutgers. I'm liking the way that the Badgers bounced back after the Washington St. game. Mordecai has seemed to settle down and is starting to create an identity for this offense. I also think the coaches now see the value in Allen and are starting to feed him more. Especially against Purdont, they seem to figure things out. They were very balanced with 193 passing yards and 195 rushing yards. It's kind of the offense I expected from the start of the season. They were also very efficient on 3rd down going 12/18. With that said, they still need to clean up the penalties. 11 penalties overall for 70 yards. As much as I think Mordecai has settled down, he did throw one pretty bad interception. Like I said though, they seem to be finding their identity.

I'm much more concerned about the defense and the ability to stop the run. Something I'm not used to saying about Wisconsin's defense. WI is ranked 71st overall giving up 374.5 yard per game. Compare that to Rutgers who ranks 10th in the nation giving up 267.8 yards per game. A stout difference there. Now, I do think there is something to be said about the opponents. Northwestern should be ousted from the B1G, Temple is terrible, VT is down this season and Wagner should fold their program. Their on tough game they got boat raced by MI. Regardless, those are the stats. Georgia Southern and Buffalo are no power houses either.

Rutgers is a run first and run often offense. The Badgers are giving up 118 yards per game on the ground putting them at 43 in the nation. Rutgers gives up 98 yards and puts them at 24. Really not that big of a difference. Now, they are averaging 195 on the ground, but WI is at 201. Again, not a big difference. As with a lot of games, this is where I think the difference it. Quarterback play. The Badgers are at 226 yards per game. Rutgers is at 151. If the Badgers can hold them below their average running the ball and make them pass it they will be in a good spot. Vegas also has the Badgers as a 14 point home favorite. They seem to know what they are talking about.

Wisconsin wins this one 27 to 17.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's been a while, so I figured I'd drop out a UW line here on this season and the next game against Rutgers. I'm liking the way that the Badgers bounced back after the Washington St. game. Mordecai has seemed to settle down and is starting to create an identity for this offense. I also think the coaches now see the value in Allen and are starting to feed him more. Especially against Purdont, they seem to figure things out. They were very balanced with 193 passing yards and 195 rushing yards. It's kind of the offense I expected from the start of the season. They were also very efficient on 3rd down going 12/18. With that said, they still need to clean up the penalties. 11 penalties overall for 70 yards. As much as I think Mordecai has settled down, he did throw one pretty bad interception. Like I said though, they seem to be finding their identity.

I'm much more concerned about the defense and the ability to stop the run. Something I'm not used to saying about Wisconsin's defense. WI is ranked 71st overall giving up 374.5 yard per game. Compare that to Rutgers who ranks 10th in the nation giving up 267.8 yards per game. A stout difference there. Now, I do think there is something to be said about the opponents. Northwestern should be ousted from the B1G, Temple is terrible, VT is down this season and Wagner should fold their program. Their on tough game they got boat raced by MI. Regardless, those are the stats. Georgia Southern and Buffalo are no power houses either.

Rutgers is a run first and run often offense. The Badgers are giving up 118 yards per game on the ground putting them at 43 in the nation. Rutgers gives up 98 yards and puts them at 24. Really not that big of a difference. Now, they are averaging 195 on the ground, but WI is at 201. Again, not a big difference. As with a lot of games, this is where I think the difference it. Quarterback play. The Badgers are at 226 yards per game. Rutgers is at 151. If the Badgers can hold them below their average running the ball and make them pass it they will be in a good spot. Vegas also has the Badgers as a 14 point home favorite. They seem to know what they are talking about.

Wisconsin wins this one 27 to 17.
The Badgers remind me a bit of the Packers right now. Trying to gain a new identity. An offense that can be hot and cold and a defense, that I never know what I might see. Consistency (at a high level) wins games, neither the Badgers or the Packers have hit their stride yet. If I was a betting man, I think the Badgers will do it first.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the Washington State game, I have kept an eye on WSU to see just how good they actually are. I wanted to see if we were beaten by a bad team, average team, or above average. Here's what I found.

WSU has put up a lot of points over the course of season at this point. Wisconsin didn't get burned defensively any more than any other team. WSU is up to #13 in the rankings, which puts them in good company. Tomorrow, 10/7/23, they play UCLA, who is a pretty good team. What happens then, at UCLA, playing in the Rose Bowl stadium is going to tell us a lot whether or not the Wisconsin loss was a question of still learning, or a lack of offense and/or defense.

Members online

No members online now.