The New Look Badgers - 2023

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched the 1st quarter & Mordecai threw like crap. Didn't think it would get much better so turned game off. Defense looked aggressive & ready, offense, meh.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Versus Iowa -- I have no words.
Yards do not always translate into points. Possess and protect the football. Lost to a team at home that was annihilated by a Penn State just a month ago.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
That was rough to watch. No two ways around it. Maybe try Burkett next week.

Krabs

Reaction score
Now that Mordecai went down it's time to get to know the backups a little better. It really does seem a crowded QB room. One would think there should be plenty of talent and someone has to take advantage of the opportunity. I think the biggest factor the backups have to overcome is the lack of experience playing college ball.

Braedyn Locke transferred from Mississippi State and is a redshirt freshman. He had a stellar career at Rockwall High School in Texas. Dude passed for 128 TDs and 11,182 yards. That's insane. I can't even imagine having a high school career like that. He came in for Mordecai, so I would assume he gets the nod next Saturday.

Then there's Myles Burkett. He was the real deal here in WI. He went to Franklin and beat Appleton North in the state title game being down 14 at the half. He could do it all in terms of throwing and running. Really good athlete. My daughter went to Appleton North. It was a bummer for them to blow that lead. North had and has been so close so many times to a state title in football. They got Kimberly in the first round this year, who they just lost to last week. Regardless, I'd like to see what he has, but I don't think he will get the chance.

Next is Nick Evers. Similar to Locke, he transferred from Oklahoma, is a redshirt freshman, and had a great high school career in Texas. He too was a dual threat guy in terms of running and passing. I think they are saving him. That's about all I know of him. Big time recruit who was a 4 star coming out of high school. I was pretty stoked to hear about him transferring. Seems he is stuck lower on the depth chart.

Lastly, they did land Cole LaCrue, who is a true freshman from Colorado. He passed for 6000 yards and 57 TDs. He's a guy that can run and pass. He had 26 passing TDs and 20 rushing TDs while leading his team to a state title. Pretty good resume.

All these guys have freshman behind their names. Good high school resumes with a lot of inexperience. As always, we will see what happens.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Locke ends up starting this coming Saturday, you'll see a much better QB than what he showed against Iowa. A week of taking #1 practice time will show a lot of gains in his game. That is, assuming Mordecai isn't ready to play.

If anyone believed this team was better than a potential 8 win season, they were reading too many hype stories out there, and not dealing with reality.

Krabs

Reaction score
If Locke ends up starting this coming Saturday, you'll see a much better QB than what he showed against Iowa. A week of taking #1 practice time will show a lot of gains in his game. That is, assuming Mordecai isn't ready to play.

If anyone believed this team was better than a potential 8 win season, they were reading too many hype stories out there, and not dealing with reality.
Admittedly, I bought into the hype. I do think 8 wins is still in range.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mordecai was a one year only QB. Locke was probably penciled in as next year's starter already, with Mettauer in the wings, as next in line. Mabrey Mettauer is still in HS, down here in Texas. He's at Woodlands. Mabrey is a big kid. About 6-6, and about 215#. He has a live arm, and is pretty good at setting his feet to pass.

He's completed 90 of 127 (70.9%) passes for 1,305 yards and 17 touchdowns with no interceptions through the first six games this season. He only recorded three incompletions against Grand Oaks, and two of those were drops. He usually only plays a little over two quarters because they put up a lot of points with him at QB. He can also run when needed.

I've watched three of his games on TV this year, and it's become obvious that he has gone from a 3-star QB to a high 4, because of how his game is developing. I'd say he's in the top 10 QBs in next year's picks of the litter. He's gonna be one heckuva QB, but he's going to have to dislodge Locke, who also has a lot of potential, and will have part of this season under his belt. It's going to be an interesting competition come 2025, maybe even as early as next year. Hard to tell. But, the team will be even better, with new blood to fill the offensive line with players more built to the spread offense.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Admittedly, I bought into the hype. I do think 8 wins is still in range.
With this coaching staff? Fickell is an absolute meathead. Last week, 38 passes, 22 runs. On a windy day, with two QB's that do not have big or exceptionally accurate throwing arms plus receivers who are average B1G receivers. He's a total chump in my book until he proves otherwise. This team is hard to watch. I haven't felt this way about a Badger team since Sherer was QB (2008?).

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With this coaching staff? Fickell is an absolute meathead. Last week, 38 passes, 22 runs. On a windy day, with two QB's that do not have big or exceptionally accurate throwing arms plus receivers who are average B1G receivers. He's a total chump in my book until he proves otherwise. This team is hard to watch. I haven't felt this way about a Badger team since Sherer was QB (2008?).
Fickell and his staff have proven that they can recruit. While I agree with your assessment of the team, right now, I think you need to give it a few years. Any new coaching staff is inheriting a lot of players, from the team that fired their previous coach. One of my biggest gripes about Chryst was his recruiting, which seemed to be getting worse each year.

Give this coaching staff time and see what they can do with "their players".

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me neither.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
15 passes, 10 runs.
22 mph wind.
Backup QB
0 points
0 touchdowns in last two weeks
Fickell has got to be a complete idiot. He needs to take his AirRaid crap and shove it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
15 passes, 10 runs.
22 mph wind.
Backup QB
0 points
0 touchdowns in last two weeks
Fickell has got to be a complete idiot. He needs to take his AirRaid crap and shove it.
Did not think Illini were that good. How do they run for that many yards?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Locke started his first game. The offense is new. There are injuries on the offensive line. Allen is the only real running threat we have. They're pretty much all learning a new system. Yet, despite all the drawbacks, this team showed they don't walk away from a challenge. Winning this one took a lot of work late in the game, when the coaching staff realized they had to let Locke make those throws, whether they thought he was ready or not. He showed he's ready to make them, and as soon as he, and the receivers, get their timing down, the running game will also improve.

The defense was burned early, but became a solid contributor during the second half. The majority of the running yards given up to the Illini were to their QB. Outside of that, they shut down the run fairly well, and were pure dynamite against the passing game when it counted most. Once again, injuries and learning a new system takes time. They're showing improvement.

True! Illinois isn't that good. But, don't let the fact they aren't putting up a lot of wins fool you. When this season ends, they may well have done enough to get a bowl game. Just my opinion, but any team who gets one hasn't done that bad. Not everyone plays for a nattie.

The one thing I didn't like was the lack of discipline during the first half. Too many dumb mistakes that turned into penalties, which kept the Illini in the driver's seat. That is on the coaches. You need to teach discipline, and teach it hard.

I think people need to take a deep breath, and give Fickell and his staff to get the team totally immersed in the offense, and defense, along with getting players that better fit the mold, over the next two years.

As of the end of last year, I had no idea that Fickell could reach out and bring in Texas style QBs, which in my opinion, are by and large the best group of QBs in the nation. We have three in house now, and next year, when Mordecai is gone, we have Mettauer coming in, and he's from Woodlands HS, which is in Woodlands, TX. Mordecai is from Waco, Locke is from Rockwall, TX, and Nick Evers is from Flower Mound, TX. All these schools are renowned for producing DI football QBs that are successful.

Give it time. They are still looking like an 8 win team, and that's pretty good considering where they were headed, before Fickell came on board.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Locke started his first game. The offense is new. There are injuries on the offensive line. Allen is the only real running threat we have. They're pretty much all learning a new system. Yet, despite all the drawbacks, this team showed they don't walk away from a challenge. Winning this one took a lot of work late in the game, when the coaching staff realized they had to let Locke make those throws, whether they thought he was ready or not. He showed he's ready to make them, and as soon as he, and the receivers, get their timing down, the running game will also improve.

The defense was burned early, but became a solid contributor during the second half. The majority of the running yards given up to the Illini were to their QB. Outside of that, they shut down the run fairly well, and were pure dynamite against the passing game when it counted most. Once again, injuries and learning a new system takes time. They're showing improvement.

True! Illinois isn't that good. But, don't let the fact they aren't putting up a lot of wins fool you. When this season ends, they may well have done enough to get a bowl game. Just my opinion, but any team who gets one hasn't done that bad. Not everyone plays for a nattie.

The one thing I didn't like was the lack of discipline during the first half. Too many dumb mistakes that turned into penalties, which kept the Illini in the driver's seat. That is on the coaches. You need to teach discipline, and teach it hard.

I think people need to take a deep breath, and give Fickell and his staff to get the team totally immersed in the offense, and defense, along with getting players that better fit the mold, over the next two years.

As of the end of last year, I had no idea that Fickell could reach out and bring in Texas style QBs, which in my opinion, are by and large the best group of QBs in the nation. We have three in house now, and next year, when Mordecai is gone, we have Mettauer coming in, and he's from Woodlands HS, which is in Woodlands, TX. Mordecai is from Waco, Locke is from Rockwall, TX, and Nick Evers is from Flower Mound, TX. All these schools are renowned for producing DI football QBs that are successful.

Give it time. They are still looking like an 8 win team, and that's pretty good considering where they were headed, before Fickell came on board.
Yes, I know I should be patient. I'm not seeing individual improvement (except Locke) and that is on the coaches and I have to admit that I'm very alarmed that only 2 of the top 10 prospects in the state of Wisconsin are committed to the Badgers and none of them are in the top 3. The fact that I saw false starts on the first two drives in game 7? It makes me puke.

Members online

No members online now.