The New Look Badgers - 2023

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that Indiana isn't a very good football team, they actually had a great chance to beat PSU on Saturday @ PSU. Down by 3 with 5 minutes to go, they intercepted the ball and had it as the PSU 21. They couldn't punch a potentially winning TD in and kicked a FG to tie it up with 2 minutes to go. PSU rolled for a TD (57 yard bomb) and safety in the final 2 minutes to look like they comfortably won. So yeah, Indiana hasn't looked very good, but they might be better than expected.
In the Big 10, teams can surprise each other. It happens every year. A heavy favorite of two fall to teams that aren't ranked that high, in the Big 10. It's something that has always held Big 10 teams back, when it comes to winning national titles.

In the majority of conferences, there are only a couple of highly competitive teams, the rest are there to feed wins to those top dogs. It was the hierarchy of conferences, and still is with several. Not quite so much in the Big 10.

I don't count any Big 10 game a push over for any team.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In the Big 10, teams can surprise each other. It happens every year. A heavy favorite of two fall to teams that aren't ranked that high, in the Big 10. It's something that has always held Big 10 teams back, when it comes to winning national titles.

In the majority of conferences, there are only a couple of highly competitive teams, the rest are there to feed wins to those top dogs. It was the hierarchy of conferences, and still is with several. Not quite so much in the Big 10.

I don't count any Big 10 game a push over for any team.
Agree.

The Badgers always seem to get surprised and beaten by 1-2 teams each season. This year I think it was Iowa, I hope that was the last one for the season.

I also look towards the future and hope that once Fickell and his coaching staff have built a team with "their own" guys, a mentality of "we are the best team" prevails. OSU and even PSU (on Sat.) are teams that can get down a score or two and they seem to flip a switch and win those games.

It isn't going to come easy at Wisconsin. OSU has years of being known as a top 5 team, with deep deep recruiting roots. The transfer portal and NIL money will probably help them to even further that gap from most teams. Luke and Co. need to keep doing what they did prior to this season, get some good transfers and start carving a niche out for top recruits.

Side note on the entire Badger Sports program. I think some were questioning Badgers new AD Chris McIntosh and his firing of 2 Badger Coaches, Paul Chryst and Tony Granato (Hockey). Did anyone watch the 7-1 Badger Hockey team sweep #1 Minnesota @ Minnesota this weekend? Kudos to McIntosh for doing what some AD's wouldn't do.

Badger Volleyball had spent most of the season at #1 in the Country and I think will return their after they host and beat Nebraska on Nov. 24th. Badger Women's Hockey started the year at #1 and haven't lost a game. The Men's team should crack the top 10 this week, after years of just awful teams. Things are looking up for Bucky Sports!

Side note #2:

Want tickets to that Badger Volleyball game against Nebraska? LOL

General Admission tickets are currently at $173 each and reserved are as much as $1,753!

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been watching all the Badger games. It's turning into a real hot bed of decent sports in Madison. The men's hockey team sweep was amazing! I watched both games. Watching every volleyball game too. Women's and men's basketball? I'll be on both as well. All teams doing tremendously. Anybody who thought McIntosh wasn't going to make things happen was sure shown differently. He's obviously a go-getter.

Next? Fix women's basketball! It's still a disaster!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've been watching all the Badger games. It's turning into a real hot bed of decent sports in Madison. The men's hockey team sweep was amazing! I watched both games. Watching every volleyball game too. Women's and men's basketball? I'll be on both as well. All teams doing tremendously. Anybody who thought McIntosh wasn't going to make things happen was sure shown differently. He's obviously a go-getter.

Next? Fix women's basketball! It's still a disaster!
I dropped my season tickets for both Football and Hockey (mens) a long time ago. I get to quite a few Volleyball Matches and Womens hockey and a smattering of Football and Basketball (Mens). Now maybe because they have been so damn good, but Volleyball and Womens Hockey has just been a treat to watch and the energy at home games is hard to beat.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I envy your being close enough to enjoy the games in person. You must be an alumni.

All Badger indoor sports need to be played in barns the size of the Kohl Center. With a 17,000 seat capacity, they can bring in real cash. Playing games at LaBahn doesn't work. What is it, about 2,300 seating capacity? Not enough! They need the Kohl Center to rock the house. Use LaBahn as a great practice facility.

It's all about bringing in more money to make all programs self-supporting if possible.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I envy your being close enough to enjoy the games in person. You must be an alumni.

All Badger indoor sports need to be played in barns the size of the Kohl Center. With a 17,000 seat capacity, they can bring in real cash. Playing games at LaBahn doesn't work. What is it, about 2,300 seating capacity? Not enough! They need the Kohl Center to rock the house. Use LaBahn as a great practice facility.

It's all about bringing in more money to make all programs self-supporting if possible.

When you have successful teams, no doubt a 17,000 seat arena is awesome. However, like Mens Hockey, once the team starts being bad, ton of empty seats. I have been to Womens hockey in both facilities, when packed, the Kohl is great, but when you are only drawing small crowds for some games, the LeBahn is pretty terrific.

They have already started doing it with both the Volleyball and Womens Hockey, bring the "big games" into the Kohl Center. The only issue is that the Kohl center is used for a lot of different events now, so scheduling is a factor.

Another option is the Veterans Memorial Coliseum (formerly Dane County Coliseum). Sadly, it has become a bit run down, outdated and off campus, but it used to house the Mens Hockey Team, as well as a lot of tournaments. It seats 10,000 people with ample parking and is only 2 1/2 miles off campus. I know both Womens teams love playing in the Fieldhouse and LeBahn, but that might be a happy median if they update it a bit.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you have successful teams, no doubt a 17,000 seat arena is awesome. However, like Mens Hockey, once the team starts being bad, ton of empty seats. I have been to Womens hockey in both facilities, when packed, the Kohl is great, but when you are only drawing small crowds for some games, the LeBahn is pretty terrific.

They have already started doing it with both the Volleyball and Womens Hockey, bring the "big games" into the Kohl Center. The only issue is that the Kohl center is used for a lot of different events now, so scheduling is a factor.

Another option is the Veterans Memorial Coliseum (formerly Dane County Coliseum). Sadly, it has become a bit run down, outdated and off campus, but it used to house the Mens Hockey Team, as well as a lot of tournaments. It seats 10,000 people with ample parking and is only 2 1/2 miles off campus. I know both Womens teams love playing in the Fieldhouse and LeBahn, but that might be a happy median if they update it a bit.
You have a good point on attendance. A lot of fans only go when the teams are winning.

The article about the bad look in the student section before and early in the OSU game. Empty seats. It filled, but students showing up 5 minutes before game time, and it taking forever to filter them into the stadium. Like the article said, it's not a good look for the recruiters that are there to see the entire experience, and not a good look for the players, who represent them on the field.

I'd hate to see them turn some of those seats over to the public, but it could happen. You want the venues as full as possible. We're not Northwestern, where there are more ushers than football fans.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You have a good point on attendance. A lot of fans only go when the teams are winning.

The article about the bad look in the student section before and early in the OSU game. Empty seats. It filled, but students showing up 5 minutes before game time, and it taking forever to filter them into the stadium. Like the article said, it's not a good look for the recruiters that are there to see the entire experience, and not a good look for the players, who represent them on the field.

I'd hate to see them turn some of those seats over to the public, but it could happen. You want the venues as full as possible. We're not Northwestern, where there are more ushers than football fans.
Yeah it's a tough situation with students. You want them there (they are fricking loud), they deserve to be there, yet they are viewed by some as abusing the "privilege".

Personally, I think you let it be, its their school, their team. You gut the students and suddenly it's nothing but rich mucky mucks, that only show up for good teams, as well as some for status. I also really enjoy the student sections, their Fandom, creativity and enthusiasm. As someone that has attended a lot of UW events over the years, the chant "Stand-up old people (clap-clap-clap)", has a lot of real meaning to it. Players feed off of the fans energy.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it's a tough situation with students. You want them there (they are fricking loud), they deserve to be there, yet they are viewed by some as abusing the "privilege".

Personally, I think you let it be, its their school, their team. You gut the students and suddenly it's nothing but rich mucky mucks, that only show up for good teams, as well as some for status. I also really enjoy the student sections, their Fandom, creativity and enthusiasm. As someone that has attended a lot of UW events over the years, the chant "Stand-up old people (clap-clap-clap)", has a lot of real meaning to it. Players feed off of the fans energy.
I agree. The students create the atmosphere. They set the tone for the entire fan base in those seats. That's why I hope the tickets end up in the hands of students who really appreciate all aspects of the game.

Wisconsin's traditions are so strong.

Of course, I also remember having attended several frat parties as a guest, after games. Or, should I say I don't remember too many of the frat parties I attended after games? ;)

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
While I agree that Indiana isn't a very good football team, they actually had a great chance to beat PSU on Saturday @ PSU. Down by 3 with 5 minutes to go, they intercepted the ball and had it as the PSU 21. They couldn't punch a potentially winning TD in and kicked a FG to tie it up with 2 minutes to go. PSU rolled for a TD (57 yard bomb) and safety in the final 2 minutes to look like they comfortably won. So yeah, Indiana hasn't looked very good, but they might be better than expected.
There is the old adage from Frankie Bag O'Donuts Winters. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut. Indiana is bad. PSU struggles offensively and can't throw the deep ball. I'm not really that concerned with them. Indiana is averaging 18.6 points per game. I forgot how bad MI St. is this season. They're the only team averaging less points per game. They're also giving up the 2nd most points per game at 29.8. Only Purdon't is worse. WI is giving up 19 points per game and scoring 24.8. Could Indiana pull off the upset at home? There's always a chance. Do I think they will even if WI doesn't have Allen? Nope.

Krabs

Reaction score

I've been to three games this season and plan on going to the Northwestern game. I'm middle aged and buy a little bit more of an expensive ticket to have a nice seat. It's all old people. They all have owned season tickets forever. I consider myself older. When I say old, I mean 80+. People in their 60's are young there. Nothing wrong with that, but we do need the student section because the people I tend to sit around can't yelled. They have to get rid of the way filter the students in. That, and serve beer.
I agree. The students create the atmosphere. They set the tone for the entire fan base in those seats. That's why I hope the tickets end up in the hands of students who really appreciate all aspects of the game.

Wisconsin's traditions are so strong.
I think some of the traditions need to go away. Clearly not all of them. However, the singing of that varsity song is terrible and what's with tossing canes over the goal posts.
Of course, I also remember having attended several frat parties as a guest, after games. Or, should I say I don't remember too many of the frat parties I attended after games? ;)
Lol, if you don't remember it didn't happen. ;)

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been to three games this season and plan on going to the Northwestern game. I'm middle aged and buy a little bit more of an expensive ticket to have a nice seat. It's all old people. They all have owned season tickets forever. I consider myself older. When I say old, I mean 80+. People in their 60's are young there. Nothing wrong with that, but we do need the student section because the people I tend to sit around can't yelled. They have to get rid of the way filter the students in. That, and serve beer.

I think some of the traditions need to go away. Clearly not all of them. However, the singing of that varsity song is terrible and what's with tossing canes over the goal posts.

Lol, if you don't remember it didn't happen. ;)
I keep reminding myself that I don't remember because I shouldn't remember, and would deny I remember, even if I did remember, because remembering them is something nobody should remember.......

If any of that makes sense????? ;)

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
what's with tossing canes over the goal posts.
That is an old law school tradition. If you get your cane over the goal post, you will win your first case.

Old traditions are great, but so are new ones. Who would have thought playing "Jump Around", would become the smash hit around the country and something everyone talks about?

I remember when body passing became a thing and security let it happen. Well after a few reported gropes and the grizzly day that a body was actually seen being passed to the top of the stadium and then tossed over the edge! Security put a halt to it, due to the danger. BTW, the body being passed was a real woman. She was blonde, dressed in red and white striped coveralls, at the very top of the stadium, fans "accidently dropped her" in front of them, what they picked back up and tossed over the edge was an inflatable doll, dressed to look just like her. Clever stunt, but it scared the UW enough to end body passing.

Could the "back and forth section cussing" stop? I suppose, but that has been going on FOREVER. I don't see it stopping anytime soon. When did we become such an uptight society that "words" being playfully volleyed back and forth from the mouths of students, start offending us?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They have to get rid of the way filter the students in. That, and serve beer.
I agree with this. What is "funny", I am pretty sure they allow alcohol in the "luxury boxes". Now if THAT isn't a two tiered system, I don't know what is.

Beer is allowed at Packer games, Bucks, Brewers and a whole assortment of other NCAA venues. I am not sure why the BIG10 decided they wanted to look pure and clean by not allowing it.

Slight Edit: I looked up the current rules for The UW for alcohol sales. Camp Randall no longer allows it anywhere, but the Kohl Center they allow it in box and luxury seating. At LeBahn Arena, you can buy it anywhere you sit. Since the Womens team is still in the WCHA (not the BIG10), they set their own rules.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, there it is, what is hopefully the lowest point that this Football program reaches, before heading straight up. Much like a Packers loss this season, hard to pin the blame on any one aspect or any one player. Too many costly penalties, bad passes, bad play calling, bad 3rd downs on both sides of the ball and bad coaching.

Turning point of the game happened in the 4th Q. I don't remember what the yards to gain for a first down were, but the Badgers failed all day on down and distance. So instead of sending in a FG kicker that hasn't missed ALL year, for a 50 yarder to tie the game, Fickell goes for it on 4th down. FAIL. That was the second time during the game, that he opted to leave his kicker on the bench and failed on a 4th down.

I'm still optimistic about the future of this program, but that was ugly yesterday and I think probably for the rest of the season.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there it is, what is hopefully the lowest point that this Football program reaches, before heading straight up. Much like a Packers loss this season, hard to pin the blame on any one aspect or any one player. Too many costly penalties, bad passes, bad play calling, bad 3rd downs on both sides of the ball and bad coaching.

Turning point of the game happened in the 4th Q. I don't remember what the yards to gain for a first down were, but the Badgers failed all day on down and distance. So instead of sending in a FG kicker that hasn't missed ALL year, for a 50 yarder to tie the game, Fickell goes for it on 4th down. FAIL. That was the second time during the game, that he opted to leave his kicker on the bench and failed on a 4th down.

I'm still optimistic about the future of this program, but that was ugly yesterday and I think probably for the rest of the season.
Something is disturbing. Listening to what Fickell said about why he didn't have Vakos attempt the FGs that could have actually been the difference in the game. If he made 2 of the 3, and he's proven capable of it, why not do it? Obviously, without Allen, the running game wasn't strong enough to get those first downs, and hail mary passes are not the best suit for the Badgers.

First Fickell said that Vakos was injured. That's why they didn't try them. Later he said Vakos might have tweaked something in warm ups, and he was uncertain if he would be able to make the kicks. Later on, it was that he didn't know when Vakos had been injured, or how severe. That's ridiculous! He was pulling that one out of his rear to offset his own stubborn streak. Personally, I think it was all a lie, based on something a coach said, like; "Vakos felt a twinge but he said everything is okay now." God only knows when that may have been. Fickell seems to play loose with the truth at times. Just like his reason for not playing Njongmeta, who may well be our best interior linebacker. I think he just don't like the guy, and decided he didn't want him out there.

One of the sportswriters, I don't remember who, but out of Madison, is now asking what's happening? Why are guys who have played darned good football being benched, for apparently no reason whatsoever? Is it discipline? What is it?

I do know one thing. There's something wrong, and it has to be fixed real soon, or we're going to see a lot of really good football players hitting the portal, and a lot of commits deciding to play elsewhere. If there's an hint that the coach has a credibility problem, the program can go down the tubes.

Fickell needs to straighten this out, muy pronto!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll need to raise my chill pill dosage. Don't like what I'm seeing. Haven't liked it all year. It ALL starts at the top. Always does.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bad day in Indiana? Yup

Reasons to be concerned? Maybe

Losing game with a newly starting QB and without your top 2 RB's, as well as your top WR acceptable? Not against Indiana, but understandable.

I'm giving this team, it's players and the coaching staff a one year mulligan. I'll be more concerned if this happens after Fickell's recruits are all on the field.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The losses don't concern me. I knew it would be a rocky year. What does concern me is the decision making on personnel on the field, and the game management by the coaching staff. Something is horribly wrong at this point.

The decision on the FGs? The response to questions about it? The "changing of the story?" Not a good thing to hear.

Krabs

Reaction score
There's really no excuse for losing to Indiana. They're terrible. Our backup backups should be able to compete with them. I'm really at a loss in terms of what is going on there. They played well against Ohio St. Even with Allen out I was very confident that they would win this game. I didn't understand trying the long FGs there. As someone else said, maybe Vakos was injured? Not sure. But again, there's no excuse to lose to Indiana. I was more worried about Buffalo and Southern Georgia! Coaching gets a big "woof" in this one.

Edit: Not trying the FGs is what I should say.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Bad day in Indiana? Yup

Reasons to be concerned? Maybe

Losing game with a newly starting QB and without your top 2 RB's, as well as your top WR acceptable? Not against Indiana, but understandable.

I'm giving this team, it's players and the coaching staff a one year mulligan. I'll be more concerned if this happens after Fickell's recruits are all on the field.
I'm very concerned that Fickell's recruits are mostly going to be future transfer portal fodder for other programs with zero loyalty or love for Wisconsin

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm very concerned that Fickell's recruits are mostly going to be future transfer portal fodder for other programs with zero loyalty or love for Wisconsin
I was just going to post something similar.

Fickell and his staff took over a program that was having a hard time recruiting top talent at all positions and the lack of talent Chryst had to work with was starting to show and is even more apparent now. So while I am not all that concerned that it will take a few years to bring that talent level back up, I am concerned how players, both current and potential future, perceive the program. As @Voyageur correctly pointed out in a post, a legit concern is how will a bad season effect the Badgers abilities with recruits, the transfer portal and retention of current players?

Fickell and his staff are going to have to put their salesman hats on again, the ones they wore when they took over last winter. They will need to convince a variety of people; fans, players, financial backers, etc., that this is just part of the growing pains of getting better. Barring a complete Jekyll and Mr Hyde turn around for their final games this season, the program will no doubt end its first year, in a very Fickelled....state.

Members online

No members online now.