Texans Coming To Town Pre-Game Chat...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
When the schedule first game out, I had this game circled as a W. However, when I saw that the Texans are currently 5-1, I thought "Oh crap", they are good. But then I saw who they have beat (Jaguars, Colts, Bears (2nd week), Patriots, Bills). I can't say I saw any of those games, nor do I know any details about them, but not like they are beating up on solid teams. So that said, I think that this is a totally winnable game, as long as the Packers continue playing well on both sides of the ball.

The running game might have gotten a bit easier for the Packers. The Texans standout defensive lineman, Mario Edwards was suspended yesterday for six games for violating the NFL’s performance-enhancing drugs policy.

I haven't watched the Texans play since they drafted Stroud, I hope he has an off day. Needless to say, the key to a Packer W will be to contain him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the schedule first game out, I had this game circled as a W. However, when I saw that the Texans are currently 5-1, I thought "Oh crap", they are good. But then I saw who they have beat (Jaguars, Colts, Bears (2nd week), Patriots, Bills). I can't say I saw any of those games, nor do I know any details about them, but not like they are beating up on solid teams. So that said, I think that this is a totally winnable game, as long as the Packers continue playing well on both sides of the ball.

The running game might have gotten a bit easier for the Packers. The Texans standout defensive lineman, Mario Edwards was suspended yesterday for six games for violating the NFL’s performance-enhancing drugs policy.

I haven't watched the Texans play since they drafted Stroud, I hope he has an off day. Needless to say, the key to a Packer W will be to contain him.

Stroud (tossing an astounding 10% points better in completion% than Love) offers a different QB than we've been up against for the most part, yes he's athletic but this dude in the pocket can freaking kill defenses. Schemed up pressures and fake pressures are going to be crucial to getting Stroud uneasy.

They have elite WRs in Nico and Stefon Diggs....but Tank Dell, Hutchinson and toss in Schultz and Stover from the TE position and they are an offense that can move the ball through the air with ease when firing.

They have a very strong offensive line especially along the mid to the left and their Running backs are freaking good and have SOLID depth.

Defensively for them:
Only four teams have allowed less passing yards
Middle road in rushing yards given up
Only three teams have a better yards given up per play than them (4.8 y/ply)
Only have created 7 turnovers

This game could get ugly for either team IMO...I could see a twenty point win by either, or a slugfest ending in a one point difference. SUCKS that it seems it isn't being flexed into a more nationwide slot.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This game could get ugly for either team IMO...I could see a twenty point win by either, or a slugfest ending in a one point difference. SUCKS that it seems it isn't being flexed into a more nationwide slot.
I could be wrong, but I think it could only be flexed into a late slot on Sunday, that being a 3:30 or 7:20 game. With the Adams to Jets trade happening, I think SNF will keep their Jets @ Steelers game.

Is it just me or are the Jets playing a lot of Prime Time games? It isn't like they have a great QB playing for them. :coffee:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think it could only be flexed into a late slot on Sunday, that being a 3:30 or 7:20 game. With the Adams to Jets trade happening, I think SNF will keep their Jets @ Steelers game.

Is it just me or are the Jets playing a lot of Prime Time games? It isn't like they have a great QB playing for them. :coffee:

Yeah their window is actually closed now to flex - not happening. THis early they have to do it 12 days prior if I understand the flexing right.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah their window is actually closed now to flex - not happening. THis early they have to do it 12 days prior if I understand the flexing right.
I think you are right and since I am planning on being at the game, I hope it doesn't get flexed into a Night game.

I also realized after my post, that Adams has been hurt (hamstring), so maybe he won't be playing Sunday Night for the Jets. Although, given that Adams was requesting a trade, that Hamstring injury may heal faster in New York. :coffee:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are right and since I am planning on being at the game, I hope it doesn't get flexed into a Night game.

I also realized after my post, that Adams has been hurt (hamstring), so maybe he won't be playing Sunday Night for the Jets. Although, given that Adams was requesting a trade, that Hamstring injury may heal faster in New York. :coffee:
I'm gonna do the free trial with Fubo TV to watch...just gotta cancel the dang thing or get hit with a massive charge (done this before lol).

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On paper, it should be a tough matchup.

Anecdotally speaking, the Texans don't pass the eye-test for me so far this season. I just don't think they've looked particularly good and it's often felt like they've "played down" to their opposition. The Colts are bad and they barely won. They barely beat the Bears in Caleb Williams' 2nd game and he was awful. Clobbered by the Vikings, and barely beating the Jaguars. Snuck by the Bills (who I also think are not particularly good, and probably won because Sean McDermott has the late game management skills of a gerbil). and then got a feel-good win over the Patriots, who are currently in the conversation for worst-game in the league.

So the numbers might be there, but I've (somehow) found myself watching at least 3 or 4 of their games and they just don't look that good IMO.

Of course that means little once we actually take the field, but just my perspective.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
often felt like they've "played down" to their opposition.
That is definitely a pitfall with a lot of sports. I used to think that was the case with the Mike McCarthy teams. It takes a great coach to get players motivated to play hard, no matter who the opponent. For the most part, I think MLF has been able to do that with the Packers. I am sure someone will bring up a few games where that wasn't the case, but overall I have been happy with the way MLF prepares his team for games.

That said, I think the Packers come out of the tunnel on Sunday very fired up and very prepared. Their starting QB is healthy, all in all they are a very healthy team and at 4-2, they have everything to play for ahead of them. I won't make any predictions yet, but I see this one as an easier game for the Packers than Vegas probably will.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are 5 and 1. A lot of people think they're QB is for real and so too the defense. I think this is an important game for us to win. Pedal to the metal. No running only to use up clock. Run if you can but continue to mix it up.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Very tough game. The Viking defense really put the clamps on them although without Mixon. The Bears held them to one TD and 4 super long FGs. Their kicker is very good although this will be outdoors. We have to put up points and try and force turnovers. We cannot draw all the yellow flags we saw in Jersey last night. I just hope Narveson does not figure in the outcome.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They are 5 and 1. A lot of people think they're QB is for real and so too the defense. I think this is an important game for us to win. Pedal to the metal. No running only to use up clock. Run if you can but continue to mix it up.
I think they MUST establish the running game, which if we can get a couple of successful drives early will establish game tempo and make it difficult for Stroud to get into a good rythym. They have an average run defense so let's make them prove to us they are capable of playing with us.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said in another thread their secondary is a little banged up. Mixon is going to be a handful as is Stroud.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said in another thread their secondary is a little banged up. Mixon is going to be a handful as is Stroud.
Stroud has not run as much this season so far. And maybe that is dictated by the rest of the running game. We held Hurts in check but Barkley and his line chewed us up. Remember that Stroud is very young, younger I believe than Love. But we simply cannot give up 150-250 yards on the ground and win. Get up on the line. Get the crowd going. Cause false starts and put them behind the sticks.