Packers vs Texans Studs n Duds

coulomb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: The three fans that pushed Mixon down so he couldn't complete his Lambeau leap.
After he was pushed down, Nixon was waving at em. i assumed was a "your getting ejected" wave..

Nope, it was a "Point them out so everyone in that section can buy them a beer" wave, Joe.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am. How often do QB's who throw lots of picks just suddenly get a handle on it?
But how often do quarterbacks who hardly throw any picks at all suddenly throw a lot of them?

Something's not normal here. He had A 3:1 td/int ratio last season, which was excellent. That's Pat Mahomes/ Russell Wilson territory; and they're 2nd and 3rd lifetime only to Rodgers. So based on last year, this is very atypical for him.

So far this year, he has a 2:1 ratio. That's a big dropoff, but still not bad. That's just behind Peyton Manning and Steve Young; just ahead of Philip Rivers, Andrew Luck, and Joe Montana, and way ahead of Kurt Warner and Dan Marino.

It's too soon to predict which is going to be close to his norm going forward, but I imagine it will be somewheer between 3:1 and 2:1 as he works on his weaknesses. And even if it's 2:1, we could do worse as long as the rest of his game is as solid as it seems to be. We've been spoiled a little bit by 15 years of Aaron Rodgers.

Love had a reputation in college for throwing very few interceptions as long as his receivers were getting open - 5:1 in 2018 when he had a crew of exceptional receivers, 1:1 in 2019 when his 5 top receivers left. He seems to be a guy who does force the ball if nobody's open, but that shouldn't be a longterm issue with this group of receivers.

I think he took his success last year for granted, and got a little undisciplined. And as we saw in San Francisco, he does tend to go a little more toward the "Favre" model when he feels desperate. But I reallythink he can learn to rein himself in and get a lot closer to the 2:1 that was his overall average in college. Hopefully LaDfleur and Clemens can work with him on that; he seems to really want to do his best for the team.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see more of Favre in Jordan Love than I do Rodgers. Thats not necessarily bad just more nerve wracking.
Yes. The thing is even Favre got much better after several seasons as a starter. If you recall he had more INT than TD early on. After that he was generally pretty good to the point where he was 2:1 3:1 pretty regular.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But how often do quarterbacks who hardly throw any picks at all suddenly throw a lot of them?

Something's not normal here. H had A 3:1 td/int ratio last season, which was excellent. That's Pat Mahomes/ Russell Wilson territory; and they're 2nd and 3rd lifetime only to Rodgers. So based on last year, this is very atypical for him.

So far this year, he has a 2:1 ratio. That's a big dropoff, but still not bad. That's just behind Peyton Manning and Steve Young; just ahead of Philip Rivers, Andrew Luck, and JGame ball for Jeff Hafley, maybe.oe Montana, and way ahead of Kurt Warner and Dan Marino.

It's too seen to predict which is going to be close to his norm going forward, but even if it's 2:1, we could do worse as long as the rest of his game is as solid as it seems to be. We've been spoiled a little bit by 15 years of Aaron Rodgers.

Love had a reputation in college for throwing very few interceptions as long as his receivers were getting open - 5:1 in 2018 when he had a crew of exceptional receivers, 1:1 in 2019 when his 5 top receivers left. He seems to be a guy who does force the ball if nobody's open, but that shouldn't be a longterm issue with this group of receivers.

I think he took his success last year for granted, and got a little undisciplined. But I also think he can learn to rein himsels in and get a lot closer to the 2:1 that was his ocverall average in college.
Do you think Love can be a top 10 QB in the league? Maybe top 5 someday?

I guess we will see. My biggest fear is him costing us with turnovers in a huge postseason game.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Just got home from the game, what an amazing 1st Packers game!!

Studs:
1. Romeo Doubs caught everything thrown to him.
2. Our Kickers, when is the last time we could say both???
3. Eric Wilson.... what a game in relief of Quay. 6 tackles, 4 for loss, 2 sacks and a 3rd down pass breakup!

Duds:
1. Our punt returners, Nixon should have fielded the ball in the air, no reason for him to let it hit the turf, and Reed fielding the punt at the goal line.... COME ON MAN!
2. Love and the turnovers
3. Defense offsides 3 times, 7 games into the season and these undisciplined penalties are happening way too often.

Honorable Mention:
Offense:
Josh Jacobs with his 1st NFL receiving TD. Plus 76 yds on 12 carries, 6.3 yds/att
Defense:
Evan Williams stuffing Mixon on the 2 pt conversion. That guy makes a big play every...single...game!

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think Love can be a top 10 QB in the league? Maybe top 5 someday?
I absolutely do. I not only believe it, I expect it. Maybe not this year, but soon - I think it's very likely.

I guess we will see. My biggest fear is him costing us with turnovers in a huge postseason game.
Same here; that interception in San Francisco back in January seeme3d like an abberation, because he hadn't done anything quite that dumb all year long. But so far this season, we've seen several of them, and it appears that he does have some of te "Favre gene" in his DNA.

But what encourages me is that he was able to discipline himself and keep that side of him under control the entire season, until that last pass. That tells me he may be able to control it better than Favre did. I'm optimistic, but yeah.... time will tell.

Reaction score
I think Love is good enough to win a SB someday maybe.

Punter was the best player today.
Whelan has played very good lately.
56 yard yard average on 5 Kicks. It really tilted the field in a game that was largely playing Field Position that second half.

ST hurt us early on but having a good Kicker is just night and day. I still think we’re a 6-1 record had we had McManus week 1. This game should’ve never been this close. That Punt Muff grazing Ballentine by itself is pretty rare. That cost us 7 points.

Stud:
Hafley dialing up the pressure.
Houston had 197 TOTAL yards at 3.2 per play. Stroud had 87 yards passing and a 59% Passer rating. We harassed him All day. It was like Georgia on Texas. Should’ve been 24-15 Packers we just stifled Stroud

Last edited:
Reaction score
5-2 would qualify as the Division leader in 6 of 8 Divisions. Not in the North, we’re trying to stay out of last place. Just craziness

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate those white uniforms. It did not take much of an imagination to come up with it. And while showing replays from the league; I had a hard time realizing they were The Green Bay Packers. And I admit that I don't want imagination. I want to see The Pack in Packer colors.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whelan has played very good lately.
56 yard yard average on 5 Kicks. It really tilted the field in a game that was largely playing Field Position that second half.
He singlehandedly kept us in the game until the offense finally ran out of excuses not to win it.

With all the offensive talent on this team, who could ever have predicted 24 hours ago that the MVP and the winner of the game ball would be the punter and place-kick holder?

ST hurt us early on but having a good Kicker is just night and day. I still think we’re a 6-1 record had we had McManus week 1.
I said it the other day - we sign him the week before the Vikings game, we'd have gone into this weekend 5-1 and all alone at the top of the North. And tonight, 6-1 and all alone at the top of the NFCm 1/2 game behind KC for the top team in the NFL.

This game should’ve never been this close. That Punt Muff grazing Ballentine by itself is pretty rare. That cost us 7 points. Game felt more like 31-22, something like that. Thats leaving alone the 2 poorly thrown passes by love ended in 10 points for Houston in the Redzone area.
This is easily the worst game they've played this season, and I hope to god it stays that way. In fact, I think it's the worst game they've played in almost a full calendar year, since early November 23. I just pray they learn from it.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds:

Love was bad throwing twice into double coverage and getting picked off and costing the team points.

McDuffie should barely be on this team, even before Quay got injured he was shooting the wrong gap and getting faked out of his jock

Tom Usually I can count on him being a Stud but he had a horrible day.

Studs

Special Teams, McManus and Whelan

Gary showed for the first time since the ACL that he's STILL that guy today.

Tucker Kraft seemed to be Love's safety valve today when a play was needed.

Overall good team win. I don't think anyone was thinking we'd win 48-3 but I thought a 7-10 point win is what was going to happen. Sometimes you take the good with the bad and get lucky.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate those white uniforms. It did not take much of an imagination to come up with it. And while showing replays from the league; I had a hard time realizing they were The Green Bay Packers. And I admit that I don't want imagination. I want to see The Pack in Packer colors.
LOL I'm over here thinking how sweet a white on white set up would have been....I just hope if we do throwbacks this year we do what Illinois did with their helmets because that was SICK in the best way possible!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't realize how good the Texans defense was. I see they are #2 in yds per game. I was thinking they were borderline top 10 and with the injuries would be below average. But they are better than I thought.

Makes me feel better about our OLines performance.

I was surprised how well Jacobs did. I thought he got stuffed for losses and short gains more than he was.

I picked one game to attend and it was this game. I really like stroud and what he has done. The weather was beautiful. Lambeau was rocking. And it was an exciting game.

I am going to give Love a stud for this reason. When the game was on the line at the end, he was poised and made some great throws. We fans became upset when he was taking his time. I think in the 2 minute offense he took a good 15 seconds to call the play at the line. You have to be quicker than that. But it worked out and he got us in FG range.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL I'm over here thinking how sweet a white on white set up would have been....I just hope if we do throwbacks this year we do what Illinois did with their helmets because that was SICK in the best way possible!
At the start of the game, it didn't feel right. I told the wife that it feels like I'm rooting for the Cowboys. After a bit, it was fine.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't realize how good the Texans defense was. I see they are #2 in yds per game. I was thinking they were borderline top 10 and with the injuries would be below average. But they are better than I thought.

I was surprised how well Jacobs did. I thought he got stuffed for losses and short gains more than he was.

I picked one game to attend and it was this game. I really like stroud and what he has done. The weather was beautiful. Lambeau was rocking. And it was an exciting game.

I am going to give Love a stud for this reason. When the game was on the line at the end, he was poised and made some great throws. We fans became upset when he was taking his time. I think in the 2 minute offense he took a good 15 seconds to call the play at the line. You have to be quicker than that. But it worked out and he got us in FG range.

Their front is crazy good - which is why they were able to give us so many fits and their secondary while banged up is still solid and Pitre is quickly becoming a household name in only his third season. I freaking loved that guy out of Baylor, behind only Daxton Hill was where I had him. He is just flat out good all around.

Their edges in Will Anderson and Danielle Hunter is SPECIAL.

Tim Settle showcased why I was a fan of his when he left Washington and Buffalo I believe nabbed him for a couple years - man he can be a disrupter.

Reaction score
Yes. It’s funny you should say that. Just before the game (don’t quote me meticulously because I’m going off Oldschool memory :eek: but Houston was something like #3 in Rushing Defense, #8 Passing D but a middling #16 in points. So in my mind they are really more in that Top #8-10 rated Defense full picture. They were stingy against the run outside of a couple broken plays.
It was primarily their Run D that forced us to throw in almost a forced manner. We were doing just enough Run mix to keep them honest. Yet 20 total runs tells a story. Josh Jacobs and Wilson carried the ball a total of 17 carries COMBINED.

Stud:
Josh Jacobs.

While he only touched the ball 12 Runs and 5 catches? He was pretty productive against one of the better D fronts out there. This type Defense was why we brought him in. 6.6 per carry and finally his FIRST Receiving TD

Stud:
Romeo Doubs
8/10 94 yards 11.8 per
Can’t say enough about Romeo. We definitely don’t need to ask “where art though”. In a game it was obvious our opponent was clearly focused on slowing Reed all day, Romeo showed he can act as a “Pseudo” WR1 in a pinch. His hands are still some of the best on the team.

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Helmets painted to look like leather... they were COOL!! When you think about it, how did that not happen before??

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All I saw was the last drive. Man starting at the 30 seems to make a big difference. I wasn't really worried about the clock but that last play before the kick seemed to drag out. Was I mistaken in hearing one of the announcers say in kind of an alarming voice "the clock is still running". I'm sure the people responsible for calling the time out were paying attention but that play seemed to be a mess.

Members online