Packers vs Ravens Final Preseason Game Thread

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
This is last week of Dollar Tree Football until February.

Hope the starters play a fair bit today and the backups actually have effort.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have a wide receiver problem! Who do we cut. We have to keep Doubs, Watson, Reed, Wicks, Melton, and Dubose. I really like Heath but if we're only going with six he is probably out

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could Carlson be any worse? Can't miss a 32 yarder on a perfect day with absolutely no pressure. And it wasn't close. I know he hit a 54 yarder, but these chip shots, these six-inch putts, just can't be missed.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could Carlson be any worse? Can't miss a 32 yarder on a perfect day with absolutely no pressure. And it wasn't close. I know he hit a 54 yarder, but these chip shots, these six-inch putts, just can't be missed.
That was just awful, very disappointing to see.

I didn't see most of the game, less than 10 minutes left when I got to it. I'll watch the whole thing in replay on NFL Channel tonight when I'm having dinner.

From looking at the box score, it looks like Joseph was 2/2 with an extra point, and Carlson 1/2 with 2 XPs. But how did the kicks look? Did any of the hits just barely squeeze through?

Can we really afford to cut Joseph gointg into Week One?

OP
OP
Zartan

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like Carlson will be on the cutting room floor for the Final 53.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I didn't see most of the game, less than 10 minutes left when I got to it. I'll watch the whole thing in replay on NFL Channel tonight when I'm having dinner.

From looking at the box score, it looks like Joseph was 2/2 with an extra point, and Carlson 1/2 with 2 XPs. But how did the kicks look? Did any of the hits just barely squeeze through?
Joseph's long one looked really good. Carlson's long one barely made it. And Carlson's missed field goal was horrible. We were not kicking well on Kickoffs. Don't know who though.

OP
OP
Zartan

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score

His 53 yard FG just barley snuck through. He has the leg but no accuracy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's the strange part. Carlson nailed a 54 yarder, Joseph a 55 yarder. That made that total miss to the right, and I mean it wasn't close, from 32 or 33 yards out almost unforgivable. I don't think it was a bad snap or hold, but not sure. He knew immediately it was bad.

And I'll repeat, there was no pressure - zero, nada, zilch. HS kickers make 33 yard fGs. Just continues his mind-bending inconsistency.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Carlson will be on the cutting room floor for the Final 53.
I just don't see how they can afford to keep the guy. Joseph does not have a big leg but he's consistent and usually down the middle, or close. The season is so important, but every team has a weakness. I'm glad I don't have to make the call.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why go with Carlson over Joseph at this point? I don't see a good reason. The kicking situation is a mess. He had a huge miss against SF in a playoff game. While everybody misses a big kick, I don't trust him to make a clutch kick because he's so wildly inconsistent.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To get on a more cheerful topic, I thought the back up O line looked much better yesterday. They were only going up against 2nd and 3rd string players but I was very impressed in how the interior o line was able to make blocks on linebackers to open up 8 to 12 yard runs. Monk looks like he's good enough to be a solid back up guard so I hope Gute and MLF finally send Newman packing.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why go with Carlson over Joseph at this point? I don't see a good reason. The kicking situation is a mess. He had a huge miss against SF in a playoff game. While everybody misses a big kick, I don't trust him to make a clutch kick because he's so wildly inconsistent.
Yeah I mean some people will say the missed 33 yarder is "only one play" but Carlson has amassed a bunch of "only one play" misses over his short career. Yesterday's miss was big just for his complacency. He should know that every kick of his is important and he either has some kind of self-destruct mechanism in his head, or he has no control over his kicking motion. Either way, another season of real football is not a good place for this guy to kick his way onto a starting lineup, or off.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To get on a more cheerful topic, I thought the back up O line looked much better yesterday. They were only going up against 2nd and 3rd string players but I was very impressed in how the interior o line was able to make blocks on linebackers to open up 8 to 12 yard runs. Monk looks like he's good enough to be a solid back up guard so I hope Gute and MLF finally send Newman packing.
Yes the backup O-line was opening up some big running lanes. Good to see. And Mosby and Welch on D certainly made a good case to be on the 53. Hard to see them clearing waivers to the PS. Tough decisions, but their play was solid and consistent.

Reaction score
That's the strange part. Carlson nailed a 54 yarder, Joseph a 55 yarder. That made that total miss to the right, and I mean it wasn't close, from 32 or 33 yards out almost unforgivable. I don't think it was a bad snap or hold, but not sure. He knew immediately it was bad.

And I'll repeat, there was no pressure - zero, nada, zilch. HS kickers make 33 yard fGs. Just continues his mind-bending inconsistency.
Yeah. This is what I was talking about. GB hadn’t tried longer than a 54.5 yarder in several years. That last long Crosby FG etc. Also the Kickoff return rules change things for me. The argument Captain used about TB% is no more. Now the rule really incentivize kicking it to the 5 yard line area instead of a 30 yard TB. So that dramatically reduces emphasis on having a “big leg”
Give me consistency inside <50 and near automatic <40. That’s just purely my opinion. We’re in a Win now and our K is struggling. PS Carlson it’s not like someone is going to poach him. I’d make him earn his way back

Btw. I watched that 32 yarder miss the 3X and froze it. The snap and hold was fine He shanked it
Crosby was often a perfect 100% across an entire season on those

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. This is what I was talking about. GB hadn’t tried longer than a 54.5 yarder in several years. That last long Crosby FG etc. Also the Kickoff return rules change things for me. The argument Captain used about TB% is no more. Now the rule really incentivize kicking it to the 5 yard line area instead of a 30 yard TB. So that dramatically reduces emphasis on having a “big leg”
Give me consistency inside <50 and near automatic <40. That’s just purely my opinion. We’re in a Win now and our K is struggling. PS Carlson it’s not like someone is going to poach him. I’d make him earn his way back

Btw. I watched that 32 yarder miss the 3X and froze it. The snap and hold was fine He shanked it
Crosby was often a perfect 100% across an entire season on those
I would agree if Joseph clearly outkicked him but I don't think he did. Carlson was perfect under 39 last year too unless you count EPs

You mentioned kick offs. From the box score it looks like we might need to work on our coverage a bit 4 out of 5 returns went for more than 27 yards.

Reaction score
I would agree if Joseph clearly outkicked him but I don't think he did. Carlson was perfect under 39 last year too unless you count EPs

You mentioned kick offs. From the box score it looks like we might need to work on our coverage a bit 4 out of 5 returns went for more than 27 yards.
Joseph was a perfect 100% yesterday and Carlson shanked a 32 yarder. You must be talking about Camp as a whole?

Joseph was 100% also inside of 40 last year. Except he only missed 2 XPA to Carlsons 5. So accuracy inside of 40 last year? That award still goes to Greg imo.

Listen. I’m not a Carlson hater. I realize his brother went through similar growing pains and Rich stuck with him and it worked. I just think he needs another season, but we don’t really have time to wait on training wheels to come off is my contention. During a rebuild probably no big deal but I think we’re NFC champion level right now. I’d seriously keep them both and stash one I have no idea who’s the better Kicker right now. My heart tells me Anders, but my gut tells me Greg will be in that 84% FG area 93% XPM and that’s hard to walk away from right now.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe. But the kicks were also bad. I don't know who kicked them but they landed at the 10 or 15. Also, Joseph's long one would have been good from around 60. Carlson's barely went over the crossbar.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I just don't see how they can afford to keep the guy. Joseph does not have a big leg but he's consistent and usually down the middle, or close. The season is so important, but every team has a weakness. I'm glad I don't have to make the call.
Not sure I would call Joseph "consistent". There is a reason he was a FA and now on his 4th team. That said, maybe the fact that he has gotten better since 2018 and he did have better stats than Anders did last year, will be the reason to keep him?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was further impressed by Kristian Welch yesterday, as well as Arron Mosby. I think both will be on the 53.

Actually, most of the defense looked good yesterday. A few breakdowns, but good tackling, run coverage, QB pressures and LB play overall was decent.

Is there room on the 53 for S Zayne Anderson? The guy has a nose for the ball, plays smart and hits hard.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joseph was a perfect 100% yesterday and Carlson shanked a 32 yarder. You must be talking about Camp as a whole?

Joseph was 100% also inside of 40 last year. Except he only missed 2 XPA to Carlsons 5. So accuracy inside of 40 last year? That award still goes to Greg imo.

Listen. I’m not a Carlson hater. I realize his brother went through similar growing pains and Rich stuck with him and it worked. I just think he needs another season, but we don’t really have time to wait on training wheels to come off is my contention. During a rebuild probably no big deal but I think we’re NFC champion level right now. I’d seriously keep them both and stash one I have no idea who’s the better Kicker right now. My heart tells me Anders, but my gut tells me Greg will be in that 84% FG area 93% XPM and that’s hard to walk away from right now.
Let Bisaccia make the call. That's why MLF hired him. He knows kickers better than anyone. This is one of the few times when a coordinator can make a personnel call like this. And Bisaccia worked with Carlson's brother with good results. What say you Bisaccia?

Reaction score
Let Bisaccia make the call. That's why MLF hired him. He knows kickers better than anyone. This is one of the few times when a coordinator can make a personnel call like this. And Bisaccia worked with Carlson's brother with good results. What say you Bisaccia?
So far I value Bisaccia. He does know ST. This year will be a big test for Rich. Our ST are not exactly world beaters. However he had lured several really good players over to GB. His best being Nixon. He gets a lot of credit for getting an All Pro returner who’s able to play CB at a reasonable $$

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far I value Bisaccia. He does know ST. This year will be a big test for Rich. Our ST are not exactly world beaters. However he had lured several really good players over to GB. His best being Nixon. He gets a lot of credit for getting an All Pro returner who’s able to play CB at a reasonable $$
Yeah and he’s that rare coordinator who doesn’t want a bigger job. He’s happy coaching STs and I think he’s been good. Let him make the call on K.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tough decisions. The younger vs. The experienced. If we lose a playoff game I do not want it to be because of a makeable place kick. Remember the Vikings losing to the Seahawks. Recall the Bears losing to Philly. And think of Crosby delivering in Dallas.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I notice that Bisaccia and MLF stay pretty close to each other on the sidelines and are talking quite a bit during the game. I never noticed that with other special teams coaches. Possibly Bisaccia is helping MLF with more than just special teams?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts