Only 4 more games and we are rid of Jimmy Graham

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the worst FA signings, it'll be nice to be rid of his contract and get Tonyan, Sternberger, or some other real threat with speed at tight end next year while freeing up some cap space. There is a God.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the worst FA signings, it'll be nice to be rid of his contract and get Tonyan, Sternberger, or some other real threat with speed at tight end next year while freeing up some cap space. There is a God.

IMO "one of the worst" free agent signings is a bit exaggerated. Graham definitely hasnt been worth the amount of money he was given, he is not nearly as good as he once was, and should not be re-signed by the packers. However, he HAS been relatively healthy and available, and has made some plays that made a positive difference in several games.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would have been nice to keep Cook two years back.
yup. that decision hurts.
as for graham it hasn't worked out. too much money being the main problem. health. it's not like the Packers (rodgers) use the tight end much anyway. football wise it hasn't been a big deal. favre loved using the tight end position. rodgers not so much. he's always looked beyond TE's. maybe next year as MLF installs more of his offense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that cook was so productive here for the half season he played and everyone wants him back is proof Rodgers doesn’t ignore TEs.

it’s more likely we don’t have TEs worth much right now. I assume you see how slow Mercedes and graham are ? I also assume you see Graham’s inability to make a contested catch anymore?

Finley, even with his drop problem is proof Rodgers doesn’t ignore TEs. Even slow and in athletic Richard Rodgers was productive here, more proof he can use almost any TE.

but your probably right, Rodgers just won’t run MLF’s offense LOL

beat that drum Gary, beat that drum

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yup. that decision hurts.
as for graham it hasn't worked out. too much money being the main problem. health. it's not like the Packers (rodgers) use the tight end much anyway. football wise it hasn't been a big deal. favre loved using the tight end position. rodgers not so much. he's always looked beyond TE's. maybe next year as MLF installs more of his offense.
It maybe that in LaFleur's offense the TE is not spotted so much. MM used them often. Finley, Quarless, and Cook were targeted plenty. I think it has to do with the ability of the TE to get open and prove himself. If Rodgers knows he has a TE that can stretch the field and poses a threat he will go to him. But it just has not been there in the last couple years.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that cook was so productive here for the half season he played and everyone wants him back is proof Rodgers doesn’t ignore TEs.

it’s more likely we don’t have TEs worth much right now. I assume you see how slow Mercedes and graham are ? I also assume you see Graham’s inability to make a contested catch anymore?

Finley, even with his drop problem is proof Rodgers doesn’t ignore TEs. Even slow and in athletic Richard Rodgers was productive here, more proof he can use almost any TE.

but your probably right, Rodgers just won’t run MLF’s offense LOL

beat that drum Gary, beat that drum
triggered again. i didn't say ignore. geesh! he'll use a TE now and then...but think about it. what TE catches do you really remember? the deep balls to cook and tonyan. tight end just hasn't been a high priority in the big-play offense MM and rodgers used. it just hasn't been. you can't argue otherwise. MLF's O will when he's got it fully installed.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It maybe that in LaFleur's offense the TE is not spotted so much. MM used them often. Finley, Quarless, and Cook were targeted plenty. I think it has to do with the ability of the TE to get open and prove himself. If Rodgers knows he has a TE that can stretch the field and poses a threat he will go to him. But it just has not been there in the last couple years.
fin and Q were early on before Big Play was the priority. cook didn't do much the first half of the one year he was here. what about the rest of the time? TE's just weren't used much. they weren't. screens and slants mostly disappeared for a long time too. just the last couple of games have slants made an appearance. if i hear another announcer say the Packers are a great screen team i think i'll pop a brain vein. lol

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah triggered lol

Finley was targeted more in the 3 years he actually played full seasons than Chumura in his best.

Cook was targeted and had completions in 6 weeks almost identical to what he has in a full season with NO.

Rodgers, Quarless etc all have targets and receptions in line with any TE Favre had. Yet Favre loved the TE and Rodgers won’t run MLFs offense LOL

well call it life through Gary Glasses :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It would have been nice to keep Cook two years back.

Cook was 2016.

Mo Bennett and Lance Kendricks were signed in 2017 and I would say that Bennett was a much bigger flop than Graham.

I don't even really consider Graham a complete bust. No doubt he was no where worth the money the Packers paid him, so from that standpoint he was a huge disappointment. However, he has contributed and played well in small spurts.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take Jimmy money plus a bit more.... and go after K. Allen or H. Henry....ether one would really help. i would love Allen.

Reaction score
It’s just a shame that TE position isn’t our strength after signing Graham to a lucrative 3/30M term. Fortunately we’ve spread his limited signing bonus out evenly so we can part ways for $3.7M dead $

I’d much rather we take the $8M and run. That goes a long ways towards a possible resign of existing players (or put it towards a proven WR, TE, LB etc). Graham would have to have an absolute epiphany crossed with Gute suffering from an amnesia pandemic to even be in consideration for next years team.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yeah triggered lol

Finley was targeted more in the 3 years he actually played full seasons than Chumura in his best.

Cook was targeted and had completions in 6 weeks almost identical to what he has in a full season with NO.

Rodgers, Quarless etc all have targets and receptions in line with any TE Favre had. Yet Favre loved the TE and Rodgers won’t run MLFs offense LOL

well call it life through Gary Glasses :)
We could make a fortune selling Gary Glasses and the Gary Translator 5000. ;)

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta love smokin Joe

he got stopped speeding with a BUNCH of weed in his car and when he showed up for his court date his defense was.... “it wasn’t me”

.... yeah some other ginormous black guy was driving my caddie when the cops pulled him over and the officer didn’t look closely at the picture on the license...

(didn’t work but you gotta admire the stones in smokin Joe’s attorney)

BTW I was a fan at the time but I believe Graham is THE biggest bust when you consider his impact vs hoped for impact vs cost vs what else we may have been able to do with that money

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
triggered again. i didn't say ignore. geesh! he'll use a TE now and then...but think about it. what TE catches do you really remember? the deep balls to cook and tonyan. tight end just hasn't been a high priority in the big-play offense MM and rodgers used. it just hasn't been. you can't argue otherwise. MLF's O will when he's got it fully installed.
We know what Cook did in Dallas. We know what Finley did. Think of the 2009 playoff in Arizona. Go back to 2011 and 2012. Finley had to be doubled. I was at the game that ended his career. The Browns had no answer for him. So they took his head and neck and slammed into the turf. The TE can make defenses pay attention which then eases the coverage on other receivers. Heck Rodgers even threw some big passes to Crabtree because they simply did not cover him.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
fin and Q were early on before Big Play was the priority. cook didn't do much the first half of the one year he was here. what about the rest of the time? TE's just weren't used much. they weren't. screens and slants mostly disappeared for a long time too. just the last couple of games have slants made an appearance. if i hear another announcer say the Packers are a great screen team i think i'll pop a brain vein. lol
I agree with that screen BS. They said that when Favre dumped it to William Henderson. Next they will say we are a great power sweep team.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember another FA bust during Sherman's time in GB but I can't remember his name. He shined in Tampa and was a LBer...? :unsure:

Hardy Nickerson? He was a star in Tampa Bay for many years and finished his career in Green Bay. He was well past his prime by the time he came here, though.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hardy Nickerson? He was a star in Tampa Bay for many years and finished his career in Green Bay. He was well past his prime by the time he came here, though.

Yes, THAT is who I was thinking of. I just couldn't remember his name. Yes, he really didn't do much while he was in GB, that's for sure.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, THAT is who I was thinking of. I just couldn't remember his name. Yes, he really didn't do much while he was in GB, that's for sure.
One of the most boneheaded decisions ever made by the GM in our organization. Not sure if it was a Wolf or a Sherman decision or both. The man had 15 years. He came from a very good defense but come on. Watching him try to chase Michael Vick all over the field in the playoff game was the big reason Nick Barnett was picked instantly the next season. The funny thing was that they played Vick in Week One that season and they escaped with a 40-37 victory. They should have found someone else somewhere. Especially when you have a team playing a 4-3 defense like we did back then.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts