Reaction score

Attachments

• 20241020_075826.jpg
    20241020_075826.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 10

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys might find this hard to believe, but my wife and I are going to start planting tomato seeds in about a month. We'll keep them inside, under a grow light, until mid to late January, then put them in pots, outside, by our patio. By the end of March, we'll be picking tomatoes all the way through until possibly the end of October, if we get the right plants. We use indeterminate tomatoes so they continue to grow and add fruit until we decide to pull them up since we don't usually get a frost around here.

Last year, we had so many tomatoes we were giving them away constantly. We did it with 6 plants. This year we're cutting back to 5, and see how that works. My idea for tomatoes is pretty much eat them with every meal, and be glad you've got them.

We like to have a variety of sizes, but lean towards the good slicing tomatoes with the best taste. We will have three red Brandywine beefsteak plants which are the best tasting. Then two more, which will be of another variety.

Anyhow, that's how it goes with flowers too. They keep right on blooming.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys might find this hard to believe, but my wife and I are going to start planting tomato seeds in about a month. We'll keep them inside, under a grow light, until mid to late January, then put them in pots, outside, by our patio. By the end of March, we'll be picking tomatoes all the way through until possibly the end of October, if we get the right plants. We use indeterminate tomatoes so they continue to grow and add fruit until we decide to pull them up since we don't usually get a frost around here.

Last year, we had so many tomatoes we were giving them away constantly. We did it with 6 plants. This year we're cutting back to 5, and see how that works. My idea for tomatoes is pretty much eat them with every meal, and be glad you've got them.

We like to have a variety of sizes, but lean towards the good slicing tomatoes with the best taste. We will have three red Brandywine beefsteak plants which are the best tasting. Then two more, which will be of another variety.

Very healthy!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You guys might find this hard to believe, but my wife and I are going to start planting tomato seeds in about a month. We'll keep them inside, under a grow light, until mid to late January, then put them in pots, outside, by our patio.
I dug out and potted a volunteer cherry tomato that was in my potato patch and just starting to produce about a month ago. Moved it into a sunny window to get what it's growing yet this season. Most of it's dried but I noticed new greening this morning. I also brought in a "wild" plant that was growing next to our flower pots along the house. This one is about nursery size and I'll see if growing tomatoes indoors works like the internet says it should. Still in a garage window as I don't have the grow lights set up for it yet. My radishes and lettuce sprouted in a garage window earlier this week. Those have a grow light also. The only food I've grown indoors before was we had celery plants in the garden last year that didn't produce until about Labor day. I still had fresh celery spears last winter into February.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Those beefsteak tomatoes are a specialty at Morton's steak houses across the nation. They serve em sliced with a generous amount of finely diced red onions and I think a red wine vinaigrette. Very special!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dug out and potted a volunteer cherry tomato that was in my potato patch and just starting to produce about a month ago. Moved it into a sunny window to get what it's growing yet this season. Most of it's dried but I noticed new greening this morning. I also brought in a "wild" plant that was growing next to our flower pots along the house. This one is about nursery size and I'll see if growing tomatoes indoors works like the internet says it should. Still in a garage window as I don't have the grow lights set up for it yet. My radishes and lettuce sprouted in a garage window earlier this week. Those have a grow light also. The only food I've grown indoors before was we had celery plants in the garden last year that didn't produce until about Labor day. I still had fresh celery spears last winter into February.
That is fantastic! You truly have gained the respect of vegetable ❤️ lovers.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF gave him a game ball in the locker room.

Should have given one to Whelan, too - he did as much as any single other player to win that game. Those 5 punts averaging 58 yards per kick just consistently kept Houston from establishing any field position at all. If he'd shanked just one or two of those punts, it might have meant the difference in Houston getting into field goal range on one or two posessions, and then the outcome might have been very different.

But Whelan was a bona fide hero. If this had been a hockey game, he'd probably have been at least the #2 star of the game.

It’s immediate when you watch McManus the ball traveled on a line on every kick.

The difference is remarkable, isn't it? Just night and day. But it was still closer than I would have liked; even though it went straight he only made it by about 4 feet - probably because of that horseshit snap. Whelan should get Player of The Game for pulling that down and getting it set up.

I also liked that guy that got ejected for pushing a Texan off the edge magically returned. He was hugging our Kicker the whole thing was perfect like a movie.

I never understood why he was removed in the first place. What'd he do wrong? An unruly St. Bernard tried to jump into his lap and he pushed it off; what's wrong about that? He wasn't violent or excessive, just pushed the guy away.

It's our house; you don't come into our house and do our trademark leap. When Ochocinco tried that in 09, Packer fans defended the stands, and nothing happened to them.

Anyway, though, that fan is sure gonna have a hell of a story to tell for the rest of his life. And a lifetime of free drinks!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should have given one to Whelan, too - he did as much as any single other player to win that game. Those 5 punts averaging 58 yards per kick just consistently kept Houston from establishing any field position at all. If he'd shanked just one or two of those punts, it might have meant the difference in Houston getting into field goal range on one or two posessions, and then the outcome might have been very different.

But Whelan was a bona fide hero. If this had been a hockey game, he'd probably have been at least the #2 star of the game.

The difference is remarkable, isn't it? Just night and day. But it was still closer than I would have liked; even though it went straight he only made it by about 4 feet - probably because of that horseshit snap. Whelan should get Player of The Game for pulling that down and getting it set up.

I never understood why he was removed in the first place. What'd he do wrong? An unruly St. Bernard tried to jump into his lap and he pushed it off; what's wrong about that? He wasn't violent or excessive, just pushed the guy away.

It's our house; you don't come into our house and do our trademark leap. When Ochocinco tried that in 09, Packer fans defended the stands, and nothing happened to them.

Anyway, though, that fan is sure gonna have a hell of a story to tell for the rest of his life. And a lifetime of free drinks!
Whelan deserved a game ball. In a game decided by 2 pts, field position was crucial. Funny how the STs guys go mostly unnoticed until they **** up. Whelan has been a great addition, and he saved that game winning FG from a bad snap.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is your wife still working?

I retired and thought it would be boring, but it's the opposite. Go for it Poppa. You could write a book on gardening.
My pops was the epitome of work-aholic and I thought he'd go out of his mind with boredom and would drive my mama crazy but when he retired he dove into his hobbies(which includes gardening) and works out, has coffee two or 3 times a week in the morning with his buddies and has adjusted soooooooo much better than we thought.
He was always just working or reading about work and even on vacations just seemed to always struggle to cut loose and relax.
I'm probably in the small minority of people that like his father drunk more than sober(much more so earlier in life...not so much anymore but he's still a riot when he's tanked and does cut loose.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and I provide the majority of income and the health insurance. It's nice to be dating the head turning 20-year-old when your 27 and not thinking about the age difference 35 years later.
Good for you Poppa. Life is good!