Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree if they win the Sb or even loose. Why fire him
Well for one thing - theres this 72 page forum where guys who break down tape, study the 22s, “know people” (or know people who know people) and read a CRAP ton of football stuff online - mostly advocate he be canned.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well for one thing - theres this 72 page forum where guys who break down tape, study the 22s, “know people” (or know people who know people) and read a CRAP ton of football stuff online - mostly advocate he be canned.
I was all for Barry being fired.

But we don't know why the Packers are suddenly playing great defense. We want great defense, right? If the reasons behind the scenes will be replicated in the future, why not continue on? If it's from sheer luck and player fortitude, than fire the guy. But if we have a system or process now in place that will be this good and consistent, you would be a fool to fire Barry to persecute him for prior incompetence.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

But we don't know why the Packers are suddenly playing great defense. We want great defense, right? If the reasons behind the scenes will be replicated in the future, why not continue on? If it's from sheer luck and player fortitude, than fire the guy. But if we have a system or process now in place that will be this good and consistent, you would be a fool to fire Barry to persecute him for prior incompetence.
I guess we will find out on Saturday, but I think that the defense is suddenly believing in itself too. Yes, Sunday was a playoff game, but I haven't seen the defense that focused and juiced in a long time. As you or someone else mentioned, maybe MLF getting more involved has helped. Whatever happened seems to be working, so as you said, why the heck would you mess with it?

Attitude and will are strong powers, look at both the offense and the defense for the Cowboys on Sunday, are they really THAT bad, are their coaches so horrendous that they caused that?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we will find out on Saturday, but I think that the defense is suddenly believing in itself too. Yes, Sunday was a playoff game, but I haven't seen the defense that focused and juiced in a long time. As you or someone else mentioned, maybe MLF getting more involved has helped. Whatever happened seems to be working, so as you said, why the heck would you mess with it?

Attitude and will are strong powers, look at both the offense and the defense for the Cowboys on Sunday, are they really THAT bad, are their coaches so horrendous that they caused that?
I'm not sold yet on Barry to be clear. But I am optimistic and trying to keep an open mind that things have turned a corner.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not sold yet on Barry to be clear. But I am optimistic and trying to keep an open mind that things have turned a corner.
Nor am I, sold on Barry. However, like most things when it comes to the Packers, I tip my hat to the experts (MLF and maybe Gute and Murphy) when it comes to these BIG decisions. They obviously like something that Barry does, otherwise they never would have hired him, nor would he have lasted this long.

I also think that having an offense that everyone has become more confident in, helps the defense more than some would think. Not just on the field, but in the head and their mindset. Way too much pressure was put on this defense to start the season. The common theme was "This is a rebuild year, the offense isn't going to do much, its up to the defense to keep us in games." Seeing their offense have success on the field, has to be a huge lift to the defense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before everyone gets super excited about Joe Barry finally figuring out how to be a true DC after what, five years? Let's remember that Carolina scored 30 points against his defense and then didn't score another point the rest of the year. The defense played really well in Dallas but I will always believe (and know) that MM is a terrible playoff coach so let's see if Joe Barry can pull his head out of his *** against the 49ers before we start forgetting about his entire terrible tenure with the Packers based on one playoff game. Seriously, Joe Flacco did this somewhat recently to the Ravens, had a good run in a small sample, and fans have already forgotten.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Before everyone gets super excited about Joe Barry finally figuring out how to be a true DC after what, five years? Let's remember that Carolina scored 30 points against his defense and then didn't score another point the rest of the year. The defense played really well in Dallas but I will always believe (and know) that MM is a terrible playoff coach so let's see if Joe Barry can pull his head out of his *** against the 49ers before we start forgetting about his entire terrible tenure with the Packers based on one playoff game. Seriously, Joe Flacco did this somewhat recently to the Ravens, had a good run in a small sample, and fans have already forgotten.
I think most of us have not anointed Barry as the second coming. Nor have many of us not said "if this continues". I agree with you that giving JB a new 5 year contract based on Sunday alone would be a knee jerk reaction, but keeping the possibility of keeping him another year open, given the last 3 games, isn't.

Vikings: 10 points
Bears: 9 points
Cowboys: 16 points (before starters pulled with game in hand)

Were you ready to give up on Jordan Love 7 games into the season? Oh wait, it is you, yes you were. ;)

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most of us have not anointed Barry as the second coming. Nor have many of us not said "if this continues". I agree with you that giving JB a new 5 year contract based on Sunday alone would be a knee jerk reaction, but keeping the possibility of keeping him another year open, given the last 3 games, isn't.

Vikings: 10 points
Bears: 9 points
Cowboys: 16 points (before starters pulled with game in hand)

Were you ready to give up on Jordan Love 7 games into the season? Oh wait, it is you, yes you were. ;)

Wtf does Jordan Love have to do with anything? A player nobody had seen had a rough start and then turned his game around more rapidly than any QB I can think of. Limited sample size, new information, change opinion. Unless you're a poster on the Internet and seem obsessed with unearned victory laps. Joe Barry has a SIZABLE sample of being terrible and, as you've pointed out, a very limited sample of competence. Which do you think is going to continue?

But please, keep beating the dead horse, because it's obviously a big winner and not childlike whining.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wtf does Jordan Love have to do with anything? A player nobody had seen had a rough start and then turned his game around more rapidly than any QB I can think of. Limited sample size, new information, change opinion. Unless you're a poster on the Internet and seem obsessed with unearned victory laps. Joe Barry has a SIZABLE sample of being terrible and, as you've pointed out, a very limited sample of competence. Which do you think is going to continue?

But please, keep beating the dead horse, because it's obviously a big winner and not childlike whining.
Thanks, I expected as much. You never let me down. :inlove:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wtf does Jordan Love have to do with anything? A player nobody had seen had a rough start and then turned his game around more rapidly than any QB I can think of. Limited sample size, new information, change opinion.....

I'll just put this here.

@Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead​

I think people are blaming too much on the coach and QB when it's a personnel issue. For another example, just look at how amazing the Bucs offense looked when their 3 starting receivers were all missing time. Minus their top 3 receivers, the Bucs receiving group is fairly comparable to the Packers optimal unit at the moment. It's not coaching, it's not scheme, it's the fact that the receiving options the Packers have are so limited that the entire passing portion of the playbook is a crapshoot based on whether a receiver is going to make a rare play on the ball. Gute's choices in the 2020 draft have crippled this offense and it's going to take time to overcome those choices. Love was a terrible pick, Dillon is proving why a 2nd round pick on a running back is bad value, and do I really need to defend spending a 3rd round pick on a FB/TE hybrid?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I tend to believe that the previous four full seasons of awfulness are more likely to be repeated than the prior 4 games of decentness. In general, I wouldn't see a slot machine lose for four straight years, then pay out four times in a row and declare that it's now my ticket to retirement and put all of my 401k into that "sure thing".

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just put this here.

@Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead​

I think people are blaming too much on the coach and QB when it's a personnel issue. For another example, just look at how amazing the Bucs offense looked when their 3 starting receivers were all missing time. Minus their top 3 receivers, the Bucs receiving group is fairly comparable to the Packers optimal unit at the moment. It's not coaching, it's not scheme, it's the fact that the receiving options the Packers have are so limited that the entire passing portion of the playbook is a crapshoot based on whether a receiver is going to make a rare play on the ball. Gute's choices in the 2020 draft have crippled this offense and it's going to take time to overcome those choices. Love was a terrible pick, Dillon is proving why a 2nd round pick on a running back is bad value, and do I really need to defend spending a 3rd round pick on a FB/TE hybrid?

And, as I've said, they did. You continue to bring this up like it's some kind of "win". Rodgers went on to win two MVPs and the Packers were one win away from the Super Bowl two consecutive seasons. Love didn't help either of those seasons. Love is a good QB but picking a player that doesn't help a Super Bowl caliber winning team win a Super Bowl is, imo, a terrible pick. You love to ignore the possibility that Brandon Aiyuk or Tee Higgins might have helped the Packers beat the Bucs/49ers in the NFCCG and I commend you for your lack of critical thinking skills! Ignorance truly is bliss.

I'll try to explain this again and, since apparently my prior explanation went over your head, I'll just use a hypothetical example. Let's say that Gute, for some reason, decides to draft Bo Nix in this year's draft (in this hypothetical Bo Nix has unexpectedly fallen and Gute has decided to trade back into the first to draft him). I, and I imagine many others, would think that was a terrible draft pick. That DOESN'T MEAN I THINK BO NIX WILL BE A TERRIBLE PLAYER. Does this finally clarify it for you or do you just think that people should never change their opinions on anything and you're the self-designated watchdog for peopole who change their minds?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to believe that the previous four full seasons of awfulness are more likely to be repeated than the prior 4 games of decentness. In general, I wouldn't see a slot machine lose for four straight years, then pay out four times in a row and declare that it's now my ticket to retirement and put all of my 401k into that "sure thing".
Barry has been the DC for 3 seasons.

I get it. And I would prefer we go with someone else at DC. But we don't know everything and the defense did much better than "decentness" against the cowboys. Give credit where credit is due. That was outstanding defense.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Better offenses now. So we will be put to the test. The Cowboys had to run less when they got way behind. The Niners will hit with McCaffrey all night and go play action off him. Despite Kittle and Deebo we have to slow down McCaffrey. Even on swing passes he is dangerous.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And, as I've said, they did. You continue to bring this up like it's some kind of "win". Rodgers went on to win two MVPs and the Packers were one win away from the Super Bowl two consecutive seasons. Love didn't help either of those seasons. Love is a good QB but picking a player that doesn't help a Super Bowl caliber winning team win a Super Bowl is, imo, a terrible pick. You love to ignore the possibility that Brandon Aiyuk or Tee Higgins might have helped the Packers beat the Bucs/49ers in the NFCCG and I commend you for your lack of critical thinking skills! Ignorance truly is bliss.

I'll try to explain this again and, since apparently my prior explanation went over your head, I'll just use a hypothetical example. Let's say that Gute, for some reason, decides to draft Bo Nix in this year's draft (in this hypothetical Bo Nix has unexpectedly fallen and Gute has decided to trade back into the first to draft him). I, and I imagine many others, would think that was a terrible draft pick. That DOESN'T MEAN I THINK BO NIX WILL BE A TERRIBLE PLAYER. Does this finally clarify it for you or do you just think that people should never change their opinions on anything and you're the self-designated watchdog for peopole who change their minds?
You are an interesting duck.

First, to address your 2nd grader attempts at trying to jam pack as many belittling statements into 2 rambling paragraphs as you could....F' Off!

Second, you just can't get out of the way of yourself. A little over a year ago, you were still beating the "Love was a terrible pick" drum. Trying to get anyone who would, to listen to you. Yet even today, after the season Love has had, you have to come up with some stupid example to double down on your original claim.

Finally, NOBODY, that I have seen/read...has said "We need to lock Joe Barry down for another contract." Yet you go into your "absolute" mode and insist that there is no way Joe Barry should stay.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are an interesting duck.

First, to address your 2nd grader attempts at trying to jam pack as many belittling statements into 2 rambling paragraphs as you could....F' Off!

Second, you just can't get out of the way of yourself. A little over a year ago, you were still beating the "Love was a terrible pick" drum. Trying to get anyone who would, to listen to you. Yet even today, after the season Love has had, you have to come up with some stupid example to double down on your original claim.

Finally, NOBODY, that I have seen/read...has said "We need to lock Joe Barry down for another contract." Yet you go into your "absolute" mode and insist that there is no way Joe Barry should stay.
His description looks like a page out of the Captain's diary. Captain made the same argument about the Love pick. I responded by equating it with the Rodgers pick in 2005 which he defended. Captain claimed the 2005 Packers would not go to the SB. What he failed to realize was that the Packers still had a HOF QB who you would want to help by giving him an O line. And it was a team that had won 3 straight divisions. So if you could pick a Rodgers in 2005 who was not going to start until 2008 you could certainly pick a Love in 2020.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
His description looks like a page out of the Captain's diary. Captain made the same argument about the Love pick. I responded by equating it with the Rodgers pick in 2005 which he defended. Captain claimed the 2005 Packers would not go to the SB. What he failed to realize was that the Packers still had a HOF QB who you would want to help by giving him an O line. And it was a team that had won 3 straight divisions. So if you could pick a Rodgers in 2005 who was not going to start until 2008 you could certainly pick a Love in 2020.
Agree, but some people are so set in their thought patterns, they won't change or admit that they were wrong.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Really good article by a guy who knows the Packer Organization really well.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An MVP level QB is a very rare thing. In the last 20 years there have only been 8. Their time should not be wasted, I will agree. However, if you have a chance to draft one when your QB is near the end of the road, you do it! This poster also over estimates Rodgers ability to win a SB. The additional weapon would not have significantly helped.

At this point it should be obvious, Gute made the correct choice for the team's sake. Appeasing a former great player in decline would have been the wrong move.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An MVP level QB is a very rare thing. In the last 20 years there have only been 8. Their time should not be wasted, I will agree. However, if you have a chance to draft one when your QB is near the end of the road, you do it! This poster also over estimates Rodgers ability to win a SB. The additional weapon would not have significantly helped.

At this point it should be obvious, Gute made the correct choice for the team's sake. Appeasing a former great player in decline would have been the wrong move.
And how long could Rodgers play period? As long as Brady? After Rodgers was drafted Favre still played 6 more seasons albeit two other teams. And he did not miss a start until very late in his last season. Rodgers goes down in his first series for his new team.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry has been the DC for 3 seasons.

I get it. And I would prefer we go with someone else at DC. But we don't know everything and the defense did much better than "decentness" against the cowboys. Give credit where credit is due. That was outstanding defense.

He was DC for Washington for a number of years to, i wasn’t trying to highlight a specific time frame, just that the longer time period was more important, imo.

Yes, the defense was GREAT against the Cowboys but it’s been soooo bad in so many other places that i can’t just forget about.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the defense was GREAT against the Cowboys but it’s been soooo bad in so many other places that i can’t just forget about.
I'm not disagreeing that the defense played well against the Cowboys, but have you seen the box score from that game? Dallas not only won the time of possession, they ran 35 more plays than we did (89-54). They only punted twice to our three times. They had 15 more first downs (37-22). They had more yards than we did, 510-415. Of course, we led in some other key categories, like yards per play, sacks, and INTs.

I just bring it up because if you just looked at the box score, you wouldn't necessarily get an accurate picture of what happened. I know the losing team often racks up gaudy stats as the other team goes into a prevent defense. That's football. I just thought it was interesting.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only stat in the game against the Cowboys that mattered was that we scored more than they did. Until the Packers too their foot off the pedal, the Cowboys were not getting anywhere. Even when they moved the ball some, the Packers would stiffen, and stop their drive.

A drive that goes 10 yards and results in a TD is always going to be worth more by far that a 95 yard drive that gets stalled and ends up turned over on downs inside the 5.

I wasn't a Barry fan, but I do understand that he's been getting troops bak who were out injured, and that has to helped him develop his schemes. No matter what happens out in Santa Clara, I think he deserves to stay for another year. The last half of the season was good enough to warrant that.

But that's just my opinion. Apparently it's also the same of LeFleur, Gute, and the entire front office.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how long could Rodgers play period? As long as Brady? After Rodgers was drafted Favre still played 6 more seasons albeit two other teams. And he did not miss a start until very late in his last season. Rodgers goes down in his first series for his new team.
Whether Rodgers plays 5 or 6 more years it doesn't matter. He was not playing at a high enough level for the Packers ever again. He wasn't going to play within the system. I can see it with Love. The team is rallying around him.

Rodgers was different in NY. Maybe he will resurrect his career. I see him out at shows with teammates, at restaurants, and trying to socialize more. He works with the receivers and coaches, it was refreshing to see. Maybe he comes back next season and plays great. But that was not going to happen in Green Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.