Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not aware that Dallas had significant offensive line injury problems.
I'm very happy. I think Dallas is screwed.

Edit: If Smith, Smith and Martin don't play, we'll win by at least 17. Also hoping for bad weather in Dallas area. Packer fans will walk 10 miles if need be. It would turn into a home game.

Double Edit: I'm so fired up now! Bring on San Fransisco!
The Cowboys were Favre's favorite team, and they beat him like a drum. When Rodgers came in, he became a Cowboy killer. But the 49ers were Rodgers' favorite team, and he couldn't beat them. Hopefully now that we have Love, the 49ers curse will be over. Anyone know what Love's favorite team was when he was growing up?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone know what Love's favorite team was when he was growing up?
He grew up in Bakersfield, CA so probably one of the 4 CA teams. I didn’t know that he was named after Michael Jordan.

Really good article about his younger years below. I like the kid even more.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Cowboys were Favre's favorite team, and they beat him like a drum. When Rodgers came in, he became a Cowboy killer. But the 49ers were Rodgers' favorite team, and he couldn't beat them. Hopefully now that we have Love, the 49ers curse will be over. Anyone know what Love's favorite team was when he was growing up?
Utah Jazz?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday's practice report for them:

Martin: DNP (Rest)
Tyr. Smith: DNP (Rest)
Tyl. Smith: Limited (Foot)

Tyron Smith played almost all of their week 17 game, so he should be out there. Martin and Tyler Smith didn't play and are question marks.

I haven't seen their final injury report to see how they're listed for the game.
Lol, I'll stand by my original assessment I think.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Can we talk about the Elephant in the Room now?

Yesterday, may have just extended Joe Barry's Career in GB.

Hats off to Joe for what he did yesterday. He put together a GREAT gameplan to stuff a very high scoring, dangerous Dallas offense, in THEIR house.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
frankly Im not seeing it. The last 6 min was a total example of why he needs shown the door. A clock is correct 2x a day.
Well if you are only basing it on the last 6 minutes of yesterdays game, than MLF has to go too, the offense was pathetic. That is also not giving Barry (or MLF) the deserved credit for the other 54 minutes that the starters were playing. Personally, I think the only mistake that MLF made yesterday was pulling the starters 1 series too early on both sides of the ball.

Anyway, Barry may still be on the hotseat, but I think yesterday might have provided him a lifeline. I'm not saying Barry needs to stay, but after watching both playoff games yesterday, Barry had the best defense on the field of the 4 teams.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if you are only basing it on the last 6 minutes of yesterdays game, than MLF has to go too, the offense was pathetic. That is also not giving Barry (or MLF) the deserved credit for the other 54 minutes that the starters were playing. Personally, I think the only mistake that MLF made yesterday was pulling the starters 1 series too early on both sides of the ball.

Anyway, Barry may still be on the hotseat, but I think yesterday might have provided him a lifeline. I'm not saying Barry needs to stay, but after watching both playoff games yesterday, Barry had the best defense on the field of the 4 teams.
I Saw a lot of individual effort that m not sure was there in earlier games. The D coordinator needs to bring that out all year. I fir one do not want to see Barry back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I Saw a lot of individual effort that m not sure was there in earlier games. The D coordinator needs to bring that out all year. I fir one do not want to see Barry back.
I agree and to be clear, I am not a Joe Barry fan. That said, with all the talent on the Packer D, yesterday was the kind of coaching (and playing) that many had expected from the Packers defense, including me. If we see that level of a performance against the Niners, it will be hard for MLF to justify purging Barry.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some reason I was thinking he was a Chargers fan. I think maybe they mentioned that on one of the post-game radio shows a couple years ago.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As it looks likely that Barry is coming back, here's how I look at him at this point in his tenure:

Teaching, B-: It has taken too long to bear fruit, but I do think Barry is capable of communicating the scheme in a way that players can retain as evidenced by all the young/inexperienced guys functioning in the defense this season.

Culture/Buy-In, C-: Barry has had to weather the storm of some veterans who really don't care for their role in the defense, especially the better cornerbacks on the roster. Earlier this season when it seemed clear that he would be fired, there was minimal player-support in the media (though a little). That said, his defense never fully quit and obviously is playing hard now when it matters most.

Personnel Development, INC: Prior to this season, the defense was populated by lots of vets the Barry inherited that were past the developmental stage of their career. This season, there are a lot of young guys in the defense, many who are playing well, but it's too early to say how well they're being developed.

Personnel Deployment, D: Barry has failed to find ways to take advantage of what his players do best at a number of turns. Specifically, I think of how little they've used Walker as a blitzer this season, how Gary seems to be coached to rush high-side over and over to virtually no benefit, how Alexander and Douglas were so routinely ticked off.

Gameplanning, B+: I think this is Barry's best quality. He has demonstrated an ability to develop a good gameplan in big spots on a number of occasions (e.g. @DET, Vs CHI, this wildcard game, etc). No one bats 1.000 in this regard, but I think Barry is probably better than average.

Playcalling, D: The only reason this isn't an F is because they've become more aggressive and less predictable on defense since LaFleur took a more active role post-TB. Left to his own devices, Barry's play-calling is soft, timid, and extremely easy for opponents to pick apart.

Overall, C-: Barry isn't a disaster. He's competent in a lot of ways. But I don't think he adds value to the defense. I think what you put in is what you will get out. Lately, he's looked better than that, but we have seen that happen late in a season before and it hasn't carried over to the next year. Hopefully the improvements of this most recent surge will stick, but I'm not counting on it.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we talk about the Elephant in the Room now?

Yesterday, may have just extended Joe Barry's Career in GB.

Hats off to Joe for what he did yesterday. He put together a GREAT gameplan to stuff a very high scoring, dangerous Dallas offense, in THEIR house.
He actually has had decent game plans in the playoffs. 2 years ago 49ers scored 10 pts. Too bad our qb wasn't named Love then!

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think the defensive performance against Dallas should make it more likely to keep Barry because -after all- Dak just had a bad day.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should we re-hire JB if somehow we win the whole thing?
Yes.

If we play great defense going forward, why would you change anything?

Something changed with the defense. MLF said he was devoting more attention on to the defense. Since then, they have played very well. Does his input improve game planning? Does he inspire the players to a new level? Did he make some fundamental scheme adjustments? Did he adjust playcalling? If some issues were corrected and we will continue playing at this level, why would you change?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes.

If we play great defense going forward, why would you change anything?

Something changed with the defense. MLF said he was devoting more attention on to the defense. Since then, they have played very well. Does his input improve game planning? Does he inspire the players to a new level? Did he make some fundamental scheme adjustments? Did he adjust playcalling? If some issues were corrected and we will continue playing at this level, why would you change?
I agree if they win the Sb or even loose. Why fire him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts