Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If you get rid of the DC you had also better find 5-6 players who can actually play in the D backfield, after the past few weeks not sure any of the top 6-8 should be on the team let alone on the field. These guys are terrible. On top of everything else the OL is weak, QB is avg. at best, WR make waytoo many mistakes. This team could finish 9-8 but more likely they will be 7-10 again: looking for losses to Bears and Vikes and even the Panthers game could be challenging for them. A top 10 draft pick on the horizon.... problem is that more draft picks won't fix the Pack problems, they actually need guys with experience who aree above avg at their positions and GB wont' spend money on FA's.
Lost me at qb is average at best.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wonder if we got a new DC, that might do something to resolve the problem of Jaire being disgruntled? If he's unhappy with playing zone, maybe a change of scheme might be to his liking?

My main concern is what if we let Barry go, and there are no good options to take his place? Then we're stuck with another subpar DC for the next few years.

We know the current option is sub par. So what’s the downside in trying a new guy who may or may not be?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s also hilarious to me that he closes with saying GB won’t spend on free agents. How did they end up in this cap situation again??
Well don'tcha know

A fa only counts if they aren't from greenbay. Re signing a packer b4 he hits FA can't be counted

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if we got a new DC, that might do something to resolve the problem of Jaire being disgruntled? If he's unhappy with playing zone, maybe a change of scheme might be to his liking?

My main concern is what if we let Barry go, and there are no good options to take his place? Then we're stuck with another subpar DC for the next few years.
I think we need to let him go now (clearly per MLF interview today not happening in the next few weeks) to set the example to the rest of the team. We have zero to lose by letting him go right now if it's hopefully inevitable at the end of the year. I would be willing to bet someone or anyone can be better than Barry. I think we lost Jaire and Nixon for the year mentally to name a few. My guess Jaire is in people's head about not playing. Again just a hunch. If we had anyone potentially able to take Nixon's spot as a body should he still be on the team? He has certainly regressed in every facet and cost the team points due to costly mistakes and not being a good defender. If we had anyone remotely good to take his spot we should let him go but like today's world a breathing body is better than no body.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you get rid of the DC you had also better find 5-6 players who can actually play in the D backfield, after the past few weeks not sure any of the top 6-8 should be on the team let alone on the field. These guys are terrible. On top of everything else the OL is weak, QB is avg. at best, WR make waytoo many mistakes. This team could finish 9-8 but more likely they will be 7-10 again: looking for losses to Bears and Vikes and even the Panthers game could be challenging for them. A top 10 draft pick on the horizon.... problem is that more draft picks won't fix the Pack problems, they actually need guys with experience who aree above avg at their positions and GB wont' spend money on FA's.
You know, we were playing pretty good pass defense against a couple of good teams. Then we get some guys off ir, change the chemistry, and wallah. Coaches out thinking themselves? Of course we had more of a pass rush. Maybe there is something to players just not playing hard when they're constantly put in positions to give up first downs

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to let him go now (clearly per MLF interview today not happening in the next few weeks) to set the example to the rest of the team. We have zero to lose by letting him go right now if it's hopefully inevitable at the end of the year. I would be willing to bet someone or anyone can be better than Barry. I think we lost Jaire and Nixon for the year mentally to name a few. My guess Jaire is in people's head about not playing. Again just a hunch. If we had anyone potentially able to take Nixon's spot as a body should he still be on the team? He has certainly regressed in every facet and cost the team points due to costly mistakes and not being a good defender. If we had anyone remotely good to take his spot we should let him go but like today's world a breathing body is better than no body.
Nixon is #1 in the NFL in kickoff returns with 25 for 675 yds & 25.96 yd avg. #2 has 15 returns for 367 yds & 24.47 yd avg. Also think he's the best slot CB we've had in GB for the last few years, but I may be forgetting someone. Hope Nixon is re-signed for '24.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nixon is #1 in the NFL in kickoff returns with 25 for 675 yds & 25.96 yd avg. #2 has 15 returns for 367 yds & 24.47 yd avg. Also think he's the best slot CB we've had in GB for the last few years, but I may be forgetting someone. Hope Nixon is re-signed for '24.
We tried him on offense a couple times and he did pretty good. How come he never does that anymore?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We tried him on offense a couple times and he did pretty good. How come he never does that anymore?

10 play drives chasing WRs all over the field is exhausting. I make that statement both tongue in cheek and probably truthfully . . .

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all of those problems MLF should win coach of the year if GB goes 9-8. On the other hand if they go 7-10 I will be correct in predicting their number of wins this season.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a packer fan since the Lombardi days I am certainly disappointed in how this season is turning out. They gave us some hope for a while but I have come to terms that they are just not good enough this year.
I've made peace with that....unlike the rest of my family who are Eagles fans whose angst is rising every week, while sleep hours are diminishing, and they are on the precipice of losing all their fingernails soon.
I am good where I am and looking forward to next year..

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every day that I continue to wake up and not see a notification on my phone that says "Packers fire DC Joe Barry" is another indictment on the job performance of Matt Lafleur.
And who would you replace him with at this point? Three games left. Just let him go after the season and move on then.

Catamount1971

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And who would you replace him with at this point? Three games left. Just let him go after the season and move on then.
There must be an assistant that could take over. If the defense quits playing for Barry, then it is pointless to keep him. Maybe a younger assistant could fire them up.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well don'tcha know

A fa only counts if they aren't from greenbay. Re signing a packer b4 he hits FA can't be counted

And besides that, look at Gute’s track record since he took over.

Za’Darius, Preston, Amos, Turner, Campbell, Douglas, Marcedes…

He’s been stretching the cap thinner than GB ever has and he’s gone outside the organization to sign guys.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Nixon in the slot is a total disaster.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah..it's pretty sad when the head coach has to micro manage the defense because his defensive coordinator is a clueless buffoon! Didn't he do this to Drayton too, right before he was fired? Maybe they won't bring back any of the defensive coaches. They never made an effort to resign pettine. Maybe the same happens with barry.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1 - this is a pretty damning indictment of how poorly of a job MLF has done assembling a defensive coaching staff.

#2 - it most likely will accomplish nothing as far as defensive performance, but it's also not going to make the defense any worse. It also gives the Packers an early headstart on filling the vacancy for next year.

#3 - It also stems from my frustration that literally even every dumb talking head knew that 14 games ago was the time to make this move, and my fear that MLF will seek any reason to retain him in these last few games if the defense turns it around, much like we saw last year.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1 - this is a pretty damning indictment of how poorly of a job MLF has done assembling a defensive coaching staff.

#2 - it most likely will accomplish nothing as far as defensive performance, but it's also not going to make the defense any worse. It also gives the Packers an early headstart on filling the vacancy for next year.

#3 - It also stems from my frustration that literally even every dumb talking head knew that 14 games ago was the time to make this move, and my fear that MLF will seek any reason to retain him in these last few games if the defense turns it around, much like we saw last year.
Your #3 is a concern.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Your #3 is a concern.

I think you can argue that it made sense to hold serve in a developmental/assessment year. The FO had no idea what direction the future would take them prior to this season unfolding. Love was still a mystery. Yes, it was clear that Barry was not the long-term answer. But did it make sense to replace him at that time? I'm not so sure. I don't think they would have gotten quality applicants when the future was so uncertain.

Going into this off-season, it will likely be clear that the team has future stability behind the partnership of LaFleur and Love. You can see how DC candidates would be more willing to sign onto that (i.e. they don't have to be too worried that the whole staff is on the hot seat and they could be one and done). A good, young QB who is ascending gives security to the entire staff.

And what harm has it really done to have Barry this season? Did it hamstring a Super Bowl run? In the big picture, I don't really see that it made a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts