Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe MLF will be firing Berry. I thought he would wait till end of the season, but he seems to be getting more frustrated. MLFs answers have become much less supportive and more critical of the defensive performance.

They are lacking something on that side of the ball. Not all the players look committed or excited about playing. Saw some finger pointing today by the players. The energy and discipline just aren't there. The game plans leave lots to be desired, and the biggest issue: we never seem to make any in-game changes to our strategy.

We need a DC who is more creative, brings some 'fun' plays for the players, and adapts in the game. Hoping Saleh gets fired as HC. He would be great, but they will give him a year with Rodgers.
I strongly suspect Matt will not make any coaching changes until after this season is over.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where are the Joe Barry defenders that were so adamant just a couple of weeks ago that Barry wasn't an awful DC?
I guess folks are calling for Barry's head because his defense made DeVito and then Mayfield look like All-Pros. If you watch other teams' defenses, even those on teams with worse records than ours, those players are aggressive and get after people. Our D is just too passive and reactive instead of proactive.

Last edited:

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Lafleur the plan is to keep Barry! I hope they do not resign him as his contract will up after the season!

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess folks are not calling for Barry's head because his defense made DeVito and then Mayfield look like All-Pros. If you watch other teams' defenses, even those on teams with worse records than ours, those players are aggressive and get after people. Our D is just too passive and reactive instead of proactive.
Other teams have injured starters too..yet their backups play just as good as the starters..not on this team!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Barry still has his job after the past 2 weeks sends a terrible message to the team. Zero accountability! MLF needs to finally understand that coaches need to perform just like players. If he continues with the double standard, expect dissension to become rife to the point that he may lose the team.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You all know that we are wanting Joe Barry fired and when that happens, Brandon Staley is just going to be hired.

Second verse same as the First
I'm Matt's DC, I am
Matt's DC, I am, I am

At least Staley is an architect within the system and not a journeyman. There's evidence in his career of innovation and making more of his players.

Catamount1971

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is not happening.

The more likely scenario is that the Packers win, hold Carolina to < 13 pts and then MLF struts around like everything was solved.
And you base this on what? Another horrible QB we make look like a HOF QB. We don’t know if the defense has given up yet either. Hard to follow a coach you lose all confidence in.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you base this on what? Another horrible QB we make look like a HOF QB. We don’t know if the defense has given up yet either. Hard to follow a coach you lose all confidence in.

So the more likely scenario is that a rookie QB throws for 500 yards and 8 TD (and breaking the NFL record) rather than them scoring under 13?

Ok then...

I'm more worried about a decent defensive showing masking the issue for a week rather than a complete blowout.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know if there’s a single qb in the league right now that I’d feel confident couldn’t have a career day against us. Pretty sure Johnny Manziel could get picked up by Carolina on Wednesday and break records against us this week.

Odds are at this point we’ll probably do enough to manage to sneak into the playoffs as the 7, get matched up with Philly and watch Jalen Hurts run for 400 yards and 6 TD in three quarters before Barry thinks to change anything.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would fire myself if my stats looked this bad.

22nd in yards per play
22nd in takeaways
26th in passer rating allowed
29th in interceptions
22nd in sacks
28th in yards/rush
21st in scoring%
25th in adjusted net YPA
25th in third down%
31st in plays/drive
Does anyone think that having Rasul Douglas and Jaire out there would have helped at all yesterday.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Well he coordinated one of the best defenses we've seen in some time in 2020. And there were particular games in his Chargers' tenure where his gameplans were pretty phenomenal.

He's not as good as he looked with the Rams with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey.

But he's not nearly as bad as he looked with the Chargers, where he tried to do too much instead of focusing on the defense. Besides, that's one of (if not the) most hapless organizations in the NFL from ownership down. They don't set up their people for success.

Suffice it to say, he's shown a lot more promise than Joe Barry showed in a considerably larger sample before GB hired him.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least Staley is an architect within the system and not a journeyman. There's evidence in his career of innovation and making more of his players.
Staley was promoted to d.c. above Barry in L.A. at the time.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The last 2 games have more than confirmed how most of us feel about Barry...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

JFay05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya damn right I'm on it. This guy was awful in track record coming in here and is a big clown so far!!!

Enough hiring dud DCs. This guy is worse than Capers!!!
The issue is more than Joe Barry, it's D-Line coach, the linebacker's coach, the OC who was a very good O-line coach and the HC who over the last two years has shown to be more like McCarthy in his last two seasons. Stubborn, unable to adjust, and unwilling to listen. I'd say it stemmed from Gutey on down, but he's redeemed himself the last two years, and just a few years ago Mark Murphy made himself the lord of Gutey and the Coaches having them report direct to him.
In my opinion Murphy needs to go, along with the entire coaching staff with the exception of Clements, who's done a good job of working with Love. I'd like to see Murphy replaced with John Schneider, and then raid the 49er or Texans D-Staff for a new Head Coach. Compare what DeMeco Ryans has done with a young roster in Houston, versus what LaFleur has done this year. While Houston has lost games, they have not been out coached, game after game, after game.
Do you really have any faith that LaFleur will fire Barry at year's end, if he won't do it now after the play calling on D has cost at least half the loses the team's had this year?

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tampa had Devin White, Carlton Davis out and Vita Vea playing a small role. Their backups played well!

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Barry still has his job after the past 2 weeks sends a terrible message to the team. Zero accountability! MLF needs to finally understand that coaches need to perform just like players. If he continues with the double standard, expect dissension to become rife to the point that he may lose the team.

That about says it all, my hunch as to why Jaire isn't playing as well. Coaches decision or training decision sure but if the player says "he can't go" are they or Packers medical staff especially going to push him? I think mlf and Barry have already lost many of the players, offensive and defensive sadly enough.

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you get rid of the DC you had also better find 5-6 players who can actually play in the D backfield, after the past few weeks not sure any of the top 6-8 should be on the team let alone on the field. These guys are terrible. On top of everything else the OL is weak, QB is avg. at best, WR make waytoo many mistakes. This team could finish 9-8 but more likely they will be 7-10 again: looking for losses to Bears and Vikes and even the Panthers game could be challenging for them. A top 10 draft pick on the horizon.... problem is that more draft picks won't fix the Pack problems, they actually need guys with experience who aree above avg at their positions and GB wont' spend money on FA's.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That about says it all, my hunch as to why Jaire isn't playing as well.
I wonder if we got a new DC, that might do something to resolve the problem of Jaire being disgruntled? If he's unhappy with playing zone, maybe a change of scheme might be to his liking?

My main concern is what if we let Barry go, and there are no good options to take his place? Then we're stuck with another subpar DC for the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts