Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I think Joe Barry has earned his ticket out of town, the roster is a joke. Too many undersized players that get pushed around, especially on the D line and secondary. The coaches need to be extra aggressive to make up for shortcomings.
If our players can't play physical defense, that's on Gute.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing:

There are plenty of men out there with a history of success as a defensive coordinator who would be deserving of the benefit of the doubt after a game, or even a season like this.

Joe Barry isn't, and never has been, one of those men. You literally have a history that dates back 15 years of precedent to show you that he simply isn't good at this job. This wasn't a young up and coming innovative position coach that we took a chance on and it just didn't work out. This was a widely panned hire from Day 1.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, that just proves the whole..it's not who you know..but who you blow theory is alive in Lafleurs world.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If our players can't play physical defense, that's on Gute.
This team, with Barry calling the shots, would rather rush 3 & drop 8 on 3rd or 4th & long than rush 5 or 6 allowing the QB 2 seconds. I'd MUCH prefer a defensive playcaller forcing the offense into quick read & possible mistake than5 seconds in the pocket to find an open receiver. Jim Leonhard on line 1, please.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem was they only had 3 guys in mind. I think Evero would have been my #2 choice..and once Leonard turned it down..he should have been top priority!! Not a guy with Barry's track record!

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team, with Barry calling the shots, would rather rush 3 & drop 8 on 3rd or 4th & long than rush 5 or 6 allowing the QB 2 seconds. I'd MUCH prefer a defensive playcaller forcing the offense into quick read & possible mistake than5 seconds in the pocket to find an open receiver. Jim Leonhard on line 1, please.
Case in point. The Vikings defense has greatly overachieved all season even if you consider yesterday's meltdown because they bring pressure consistently and force quick decisions. Their DC has done a great job with a limited roster. Barry has done the opposite.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing:

There are plenty of men out there with a history of success as a defensive coordinator who would be deserving of the benefit of the doubt after a game, or even a season like this.

Joe Barry isn't, and never has been, one of those men. You literally have a history that dates back 15 years of precedent to show you that he simply isn't good at this job. This wasn't a young up and coming innovative position coach that we took a chance on and it just didn't work out. This was a widely panned hire from Day 1.
I definitely remember some posters here who tried to defend his hiring.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great defenses dash and great coordinators - dictate to their opponents not the other way around

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's one thing if a guy falls down and leaves a guy wide open. The last 2 weeks..there were guys wide open..EVERYWHERE!! It's not just the young guys...Campbell sucks in coverage and our safeties and corners are always confused!

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should!! Joe embarrassed him on National tv..**** HIM FIRE HIM ON AN ESPN TALKSHOW!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe MLF will be firing Berry. I thought he would wait till end of the season, but he seems to be getting more frustrated. MLFs answers have become much less supportive and more critical of the defensive performance.

They are lacking something on that side of the ball. Not all the players look committed or excited about playing. Saw some finger pointing today by the players. The energy and discipline just aren't there. The game plans leave lots to be desired, and the biggest issue: we never seem to make any in-game changes to our strategy.

We need a DC who is more creative, brings some 'fun' plays for the players, and adapts in the game. Hoping Saleh gets fired as HC. He would be great, but they will give him a year with Rodgers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's one thing if a guy falls down and leaves a guy wide open. The last 2 weeks..there were guys wide open..EVERYWHERE!! It's not just the young guys...Campbell sucks in coverage and our safeties and corners are always confused!
Thats in the DC for not using players to their strengths

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy did the same thing. Kept defending Slocum week after terrible special teams performance week. I still think there are a few of his cast offs on Barry's staff. They need to clean house on that side of the ball!

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely no way he can be brought back next year and frankly there’s no argument for bringing him next week, for that matter. You have to get rid of him now to send a message, if nothing else.

Think of the message it sends if you keep him around:

- failure is to not only be tolerated, but rewarded
- you can fail at your job time after time after time and face no consequences
- accountability means nothing
- to our younger players who stepped up and performed and had us in a better position than we expected: thanks for nothing, we’re still content to throw this season and your hard work down the drain for “continuity”
- to the players on defense: you don’t matter. We don’t care if you’re being set up for failure time and time again. We’re not interested in trying to put you in a position to succeed.
- to the players on offense: why bother trying? Unless you can score 40 points a game every week, what you’re doing doesn’t matter; your defense is going to get out-schemed and out-coached every time and will continue to let you down.

I think LaFleur is a good coach and I don’t know if he has the ultimate say on the matter or not but frankly if he is not putting HEAVY pressure to make a change at DC *immediately* then he ought to be packing his bags as well. I don’t mean to sound hyperbolic but really it’s downright insulting to just about every player in the organization to make them continue with this.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely no way he can be brought back next year and frankly there’s no argument for bringing him next week, for that matter. You have to get rid of him now to send a message, if nothing else.

Think of the message it sends if you keep him around:

- failure is to not only be tolerated, but rewarded
- you can fail at your job time after time after time and face no consequences
- accountability means nothing
- to our younger players who stepped up and performed and had us in a better position than we expected: thanks for nothing, we’re still content to throw this season and your hard work down the drain for “continuity”
- to the players on defense: you don’t matter. We don’t care if you’re being set up for failure time and time again. We’re not interested in trying to put you in a position to succeed.
- to the players on offense: why bother trying? Unless you can score 40 points a game every week, what you’re doing doesn’t matter; your defense is going to get out-schemed and out-coached every time and will continue to let you down.

I think LaFleur is a good coach and I don’t know if he has the ultimate say on the matter or not but frankly if he is not putting HEAVY pressure to make a change at DC *immediately* then he ought to be packing his bags as well. I don’t mean to sou nd hyperbolic but really it’s downright insulting to just about every player in the organization to make them continue with this.
I suspect you will see us draft an OT and then more defense again. Should be looking to add a few veterans at TE and Safety.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least Capers would have tried 6 DBs if 4 cannot cover.
At least Capers had one good year and we won a Super Bowl with him. Of course he followed it up with an historically bad year, and we held on to him too long, but we can't change that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts