Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree that missing a 46 yard FG inside on artificial turf is mostly luck.
The field isn't exactly artificial turf. It's some kind of hybrid, isn't it? That field was slippery all day which may have had an effect. 46 is better for the Packers than a chip shot 25 yarder.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a very interesting idea and makes sense. But if you miss it...
If we missed the 2 point conversion, we would be all over MLF. I admit at the time, I was saying Nooooooo....

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The field isn't exactly artificial turf. It's some kind of hybrid, isn't it? That field was slippery all day which may have had an effect. 46 is better for the Packers than a chip shot 25 yarder.
Sorry, my mistake. They were at Lambeau which is mostly natural turf with some strange weave of fake grass. My bad. I still think it was mostly luck that the Saints missed a 46 yarder.

And yeah, Lambeau gets slippery at times.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I did not get to see the game winning drive. Going to play devil's advocate here anyway. Please correct me if I am wrong. Were the Packers playing in a nice rhythm? Did they believe if they did not score a TD there was enough time left to stop N.O. and get the ball back? Any and all insight is appreciated.
They managed to put up 18 points in about 5 minutes. They were playing hurry up and it was wearing on the Saints D with 71 plays from scrimmage. We moved the ball with penalties, great catches, and Love's feet. And we had a kicker who actually could hit one from 60 if he had a chance. To top that off the Saints had no Kamara or Carr. The Packers are a new, very young team. They were riding a wave without thoughts of past Packer teams. They believed they had a chance to win. And they did.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we missed the 2 point conversion, we would be all over MLF. I admit at the time, I was saying Nooooooo....
Maybe. But no one really believed they would score another one anyway. MLF felt that by getting the 2 it would spark his young team even more knowing that another 7 meant a win not just a tie. And why put a young mistake prone team in OT if you can avoid it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, my mistake. They were at Lambeau which is mostly natural turf with some strange weave of fake grass. My bad. I still think it was mostly luck that the Saints missed a 46 yarder.

And yeah, Lambeau gets slippery at times.
There had been rain the previous couple days which should have dried out. Lambeau has a ghost all to its own. It can help you or deceive you. We have seen kickers miss the most makeable place kicks going back to Paul Hornung. We also saw the Giants make a 47 yarder to beat us at 0 degrees in 2007.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There had been rain the previous couple days which should have dried out. Lambeau has a ghost all to its own. It can help you or deceive you. We have seen kickers miss the most makeable place kicks going back to Paul Hornung. We also saw the Giants make a 47 yarder to beat us at 0 degrees in 2007.
Ouch, I remember that one.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He HAS to go.

And frankly at this point if LaFleur doesn’t have the spine to make that happen then he should pack his bags as well.
I wish people would hear what happens inside 1265

he should be gone so every one can re live the last 12 years of fire the DC... we will be better.

Well......Def for most part since 2011 has always been the issue no matter the coach

I want him gone... But we been over this with Def coach since 2011

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LaFleur on the run defense: “We’re gonna have to do something different. It’s insane to do the same things over and over again and expect a different result.”.

So.. what's stopping you from doing something different?
211 yards on the ground. Montgomery or no Montgomery. We invest all that in our defense and we got gashed on the ground like Capers was still here. Of course you wish our offense could reduce the 3 and outs.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a man with 6, count them, 6 seasons of a sample size showing that he not qualified to be an NFL Defensive Coordinator. If he were fired tomorrow, he will likely never coach again in the NFL, and if he does, it will be in the most basic of roles, yet here he remains.

Joe Barry would be a fantastic fit as a head coach for some Division 2 high school football team down in Colorado teaching them about Cover 2 and pad level.

In his current role, he is completely underqualified.

Kahless

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a man with 6, count them, 6 seasons of a sample size showing that he not qualified to be an NFL Defensive Coordinator. If he were fired tomorrow, he will likely never coach again in the NFL, and if he does, it will be in the most basic of roles, yet here he remains.

Joe Barry would be a fantastic fit as a head coach for some Division 2 high school football team down in Colorado teaching them about Cover 2 and pad level.

In his current role, he is completely underqualified.
Agree! What I also can't stand are his schemes where he has two down lineman spread like 3-4 yards apart in the middle of the line and two edge rushers spread even further out. Then he has a slew of DBs 10-20 yards down field who play zone. It's so easy for the offensive line to divide and conquer in the middle of the line, Once the RB is sprung he has like 10 yards of running room before anyone can come up to tackle him. So quick trap running plays/draws/QB draws up the middle or screens iup the middle and in the flats will likely make 8-10 yards at a clip easily. He appears so concerned about not giving up 60-yard passes that he allows his defense to stay on the field for 10 minute drives. That said, if they are lucky enough to produce a third-and-long, you can bet he will go into a prevent defense and give it up anyway. I am absolutely mystified why this guy has a DC job with such a poor track record, and such a glaringly dumb approach to defense. I don't get it.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Should been last year
Should’ve been, but IMO Gute and MLF wanted to try and prove a point that you can basically remove only Rodgers from the equation and the Packers can still be good.

Early in the season, but it seems to be a massive back fire.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should’ve been, but IMO Gute and MLF wanted to try and prove a point that you can basically remove only Rodgers from the equation and the Packers can still be good.

Early in the season, but it seems to be a massive back fire.
So far we're on pace to match last year.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers wasn't changing that game result yesterday. We all saw where Rodgers is at with bad offensive line play.

I really don't understand how something can be a backfire 4 games into a season that really was probably going to be a 7-9 win season anyways.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be honest, there is no Fritz Shurmur, Buddy Ryan, Phil Bengston, Monte Kiffin, or **** LeBeau that was going to put in a scheme that would have worked last night. Except for Quay Walker and Rashan Gary, it seemed like most of our defensive players were playing at 3/4 speed. The D-line seems to have their own pride that often motivates them, but not last night. Darnell Savage is playing for a contract this season and has played with fire, but not last night. They were pushed out of the way consistently and out of position, trying to play hero ball.

Maybe Buddy Ryan could inspire these guys in a way that Barry can't, but I don't think that the scheme was the big issue.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have preferred that it was the Saints that got the ball back with less than a minute on the clock and no timeouts.

Like I said, the Packers scored, the Saints didn't and the Packers won the game, so I am happy. I just hope next time the Packers are in the same position, someone thinks about taking more time off the clock and forcing the other team to burn timeouts, during a winning scoring drive.

I think that level of carefulness is something for when the team takes the next step.

Right now, I was happy they drove and scored after the first three quarters. Worry about style points later.

Status
Not open for further replies.