Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He knows Doms defense.. So He broke down the game film and explained he is mostly seeing out of position type plays, and the guys seem to be having issues understanding the def...

He referred to his time with the defense and how he knows that dom and staff knows how to explain and teach the def the simplest way. It took him and other players 8 games or so to start to truly get and understand. With the new guys playing, this may start to click for them

Not to say there arent other issues, but he should know more than others whats going on.

I read something similar not too long ago and I can buy into the notion that it takes young guys a while to completely learn Dom's system. However, that assumes that once they learn it, the system works. My feeling is Dom may be a brilliant defensive mind, but for awhile now his system seems to be failing far more than its successful. Occasional mistakes by both vets and rookies can be expected, but when they happen as frequently and are as costly as they seem to be with this defense, I'm looking at the coach and wondering if a system whose success seems to be predicated on all 11 guys playing flawless on each play, isn't a flawed system in itself.

Only thing in my mind that saves Dom's job at this point, is if the powers to be decide that he hasn't been given enough talent to work with or this current group all of a sudden has the lights turn on and they finally "get it".

Last edited:

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...ers-defense-wilts-late-first-halves/93549534/

"The Colts, who marched 96 yards on 15 plays and converted all three of their third downs, became the seventh Packers’ opponent in eight games to mount a scoring drive in the final six minutes of the second quarter. Four teams did so in the final two minutes. Three teams did it in the final two minutes. Only the Chicago Bears have failed."

"The Jacksonville Jaguars, whom the Packers defeated in the season opener, were the first to exploit the apparent weakness, though it could not be labeled as such at the time. Led by quarterback Blake Bortles, the Jaguars assumed possession with 3:05 left in the second quarter. They covered 75 yards in seven plays and reached the end zone on a 22-yard pass from Bortles to tight end Julius Thomas."

"Next came the Minnesota Vikings one week later. Led by newly acquired quarterback Sam Bradford, the Vikings gained 59 yards on eight plays after taking the field with 4:41 remaining. The drive ended with a 46-yard field goal by Blair Walsh."

"Then the Lions, who began their drive with 1:10 on the clock: two plays, 75 yards, capped by a 73-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Marvin Jones."

"Then the Giants, who intercepted quarterback Aaron Rodgers with 1:51 remaining: five plays, 17 yards, 41-yard field goal by Josh Brown."

"Then the Cowboys, who had 60 seconds and a rookie quarterback with which to work: five plays, 97 yards, 20-yard touchdown pass from Dak Prescott to Brice Butler."

This is the mark of a truly terrible defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Occasional mistakes by both vets and rookies can be expected, but when they happen as frequently and are as costly as they seem to be with this defense, I'm looking at the coach and wondering if a system whose success seems to be predicated on all 11 guys playing flawless on each play, isn't a flawed system in itself.

Only thing in my mind that saves Dom's job at this point, is if the powers to be decide that he hasn't been given enough talent to work with or this current group all of a sudden has the lights turn on and they finally "get it".

I think the success of every NFL defense is predicated on all players doing their job but it seems a lot of teams use a less complicated system than the Packers resulting in fewer miscommunications.

If the front office decides Capers hasn't been given enough talent what would that mean for Thompson's future though.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed and as I posted elsewhere, by using so many top picks as well as the sheer numbers of picks since 2012 on the defense, we are seeing how it has affected the talent (lack of) on offense.

I think the primary issue of the offense is A) Schematic and B) a quarterback who does not want to run a modern offense complete with man beater routes. Aaron wants to play run n shoot spread iso like a modern day Jeff George. The Offense worked beautifully back when CBs couldn't so much as breath on receivers, now that the officials are letting the players play again its not as effective.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the primary issue of the offense is A) Schematic and B) a quarterback who does not want to run a modern offense complete with man beater routes. Aaron wants to play run n shoot spread iso like a modern day Jeff George. The Offense worked beautifully back when CBs couldn't so much as breath on receivers, now that the officials are letting the players play again its not as effective.

While I think some of the offensive issues are related to the scheme and coaching, I think another big part of it is that they just don't have as much talent as most Packer fans would like to admit. The TE position since Finley was hurt in 2013 has been pathetic. Average to below average running backs and what I would now call an average WR group, that at times appears a little above average due to having Aaron Rodgers as their QB. So yes, play calling could be more creative and maybe more geared to the strengths and weakness of our current offensive personnel, but I really think that the heavy focus on drafting to improve the defense for the last several years, has now caught up in the way of less talent on offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers misfires on several throws and over overlooks open receivers from time to time but I don't believe he doesn't want to run a modern offense. It's the coaching staff's responsibility to use more man beater routes. I agree with Pokerbrat that the Packers lack talent on offense.

The officials have nothing to do with the unit struggling.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Titans pathetic offense can't even score on that trash colts defense yet we give up 47 to that ****ty team. Dom, you are done big time after this year. No more of this, just no more.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers will be a scapegoat at seasons end. That way, the Packers can say they made "Changes".

Not a scapegoat, a legitimate problem. Now I agree, if we don't upgrade to a better DC, and continue to go stale on offense, firing Capers will have done little, but I don't consider firing something that's been poor in a season to be a "scapegoat".

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean a fools-gold watch? I mean, they say buying fake rolex's are better than the real ones.

I really think even if we win tonight, that nail got driven into Capers's coffin already. This crap can't just keep up, giving up 47 points to that garbage Titans team that could barely score on Indy, and Indy doesn't have a D themselves.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, bad D Dom strikes again, man oh man, big play after big play, and man what is this? Leaving struggling corners with no safety help period? I get that pressure hasn't really been there but seriously? Man ... no way he survives this, just no way.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, bad D Dom strikes again, man oh man, big play after big play, and man what is this? Leaving struggling corners with no safety help period? I get that pressure hasn't really been there but seriously? Man ... no way he survives this, just no way.

On two two of the long TDs and the last deep ball, there were safeties deep.

Haha keeps moving away from where the ball is going or jumping shorter routes. Brice also stayed opposite the ball on the final deep ball.

Playing back resulted in deep balls and so did blitzing.

Not defending Capers. Just saying that his players, especially his safeties, also are not helping him out.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Capers is on this team after Monday, there is seriously something wrong.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too late now but if McCarthy doesn't convert to a 4-3 next year and bring in a new dc to give this unit some identity and passion ...a guy who will be on the sideline with the team, not an august technician sitting up in the booth diddling with X's and O's on his tablet.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too late now but if McCarthy doesn't convert to a 4-3 next year and bring in a new dc to give this unit some identity and passion ...a guy who will be on the sideline with the team, not an august technician sitting up in the booth diddling with X's and O's on his tablet.

Switching to a 4-3 doesn't guarantee anything.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Switching to a 4-3 doesn't guarantee anything.

I don't believe you'll find the word "guarantee" in what I wrote. The Packers have tried Capers' 3-4 for 8 years now and for the last 6 it's the same thing every year. They can't get the players to make it work, they're always hurting, same old thing. Einstein said the definition of insanity was doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe you'll find the word "guarantee" in what I wrote. The Packers have tried Capers' 3-4 for 8 years now and for the last 6 it's the same thing every year. They can't get the players to make it work, they're always hurting, same old thing. Einstein said the definition of insanity was doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result.

I'm not necessarily against the 4-3, but I think it'd take a couple years of overhaul to make into what we want. The 3-4 can work too though, Capers has lost it and ...

No injuries are not an excuse. If Shields and Randall are playing and Hyde is out, maybe they look a little better, but hell even Randall was struggling when he was out there, and Rollins is in a slump.

Dom's always eventually moved on from every team he's coached and I think his time is up here too. Some fans will scream for more changes than letting Dom go, but I'm content to at least start there and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online