Doubs Missing Practice

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If you’ve never read the piece on Doubs and his journey it is well worth it.

Good piece, thanks for sharing and I hope people will read Part 2 of the article, link below.

Humble, soft spoken guy. Like I said, I think yesterday we saw a guy that really didn't want to talk about something he was embarrassed about, but deep down he knew he at least had to comment. While the reporters were just trying to do their job, they should have read the room and backed off.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good piece, thanks for sharing and I hope people will read Part 2 of the article, link below.

Humble, soft spoken guy. Like I said, I think yesterday we saw a guy that really didn't want to talk about something he was embarrassed about, but deep down he knew he at least had to comment. While the reporters were just trying to do their job, they should have read the room and backed off.

The one reporter who said mental health is something that’s very real and asked if he was okay I thought was so do sweet

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one reporter who said mental health is something that’s very real and asked if he was okay I thought was so do sweet
Yes, after reading that article, im just thinking maybe Doubs is suffering so PTSD from the thought of heading back to south central LA. Or even maybe threats from the hood to himself or family...speculation foresure but he did have a traumatic time growing up in LA. Hope he gets 3 TDs this week.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you’ve never read the piece on Doubs and his journey it is well worth it.

Great read. Again don't want to speculate too but the bit about staying in the hotel during the combine sounds like it could well be similar to what went down last week...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great read. Again don't want to speculate too but the bit about staying in the hotel during the combine sounds like it could well be similar to what went down last week...

I know for a fact some anxiety was mixed into that, there was legit health issues but good source told me anxiety was part of it. We will likely never know until he does a biography if ever

OP
OP
GBkrzygrl

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a puzzle. Doubs doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would lie, and he was pretty specific that the incident last week was personal, and his part was in not communicating with the team. Sounds right to me.

If Huber is right then we should expect some dissatisfaction from Doubs, but I just don't see that happening. He came out and said the missed days were not about his role on the team and I believe him.

On a broader topic, I guess this is one down side to having roughly four good to very good WRs and all close in terms of talent. They all want the ball. I think Wicks and Reed are the most promising of the group, and Doubs is that reliable, third-down guy we know will catch the ball (thinking of Randall Cobb).

All of them have a reasonable expectation to be targeted each game. Yet there are only so many targets in each game. And if MLF is as smart as we think he is, the run game will be more prominent the rest of the season.
I only watched a little of the interview but I was thinking that 'something' is going on with him personally and I hope he gets help.... Maybe was having to face reporters after the suspension but he looked very uncomfortable.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only watched a little of the interview but I was thinking that 'something' is going on with him personally and I hope he gets help.... Maybe was having to face reporters after the suspension but he looked very uncomfortable.
Yeah I mean I forget sometimes how young these guys are and then they're put into a media spotlight. I know, they make a lot of money, but we should still be able to respect the need and right a person has for privacy.

Doubs said as much as I think he can. This isn't about football. By all means write and talk and ask about his play on the field. Best to leave what seems to be a deeply personal issue to him. It's none of our business.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know for a fact some anxiety was mixed into that, there was legit health issues but good source told me anxiety was part of it. We will likely never know until he does a biography if ever
And that's for the best (that we don't know what is troubling him off field).

At work we can all expect to have to account for our performance, same in football or other sports. But if something happens away from work that is personal and troubling, well as long as it doesn't materially affect work, it's no one else's business. In Doubs case, it did affect his work when he missed practice. He needed to communicate that much better than just not showing up. I think he's learned that lesson and I wish him well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that's for the best (that we don't know what is troubling him off field).

At work we can all expect to have to account for our performance, same in football or other sports. But if something happens away from work that is personal and troubling, well as long as it doesn't materially affect work, it's no one else's business. In Doubs case, it did affect his work when he missed practice. He needed to communicate that much better than just not showing up. I think he's learned that lesson and I wish him well.

I’d love to see this prompt his team, whomever that is, put something in place if he’s ever unable to communicate that the communication still occurs from his team.

I got so much respect and love for #87 knowing his past and some of the struggles (just small parts, not pretending to know it all). I just want him to be well, football is never top priority in anyone’s walk that has their priorities set right.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someday many will learn how incredible him doing this today is…87 is a dawg!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
People need to show Romeo that they care about him, not attack him like we've seen happen. Fans are cruel, for no reason whatsoever. It's time that the good fans start calling them out, and putting them in their place.

This young man doesn't deserve the ignorant criticism directed at him. His missing practice wasn't for nothing, it was because something was so distressing in his life that it overshadowed everything he's worked so hard to attain. Only an idiot would get down on him for it. I doubt there's too many of us out here who wouldn't break under certain pressures. If you say you wouldn't, because you're so "tough," I'd remind you of guys I saw arriving in our unit in Vietnam, who would arrive, and talk like they wanted to get a few "kills" under their belt, because that's why they went there. Then, when the shooting started, and you could hear the hiss of bullets passing near us, they'd hide in bunkers, peeing their pants, and many calling out for "Mommy."

Until we've traveled another person's journey, we have absolutely no right to criticize them unless we know what they did, and it was wrong.

As far as the "so called" reporter that broke the story in a callous way, he's a total idiot, who has a track record of showing it for the last twenty years. I know first hand, because I had run ins with him a long time ago, on the internet, before he kissed enough rear to become a so called reporter. Take my word for it. Believing him is like believing the world is flat.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
People need to show Romeo that they care about him, not attack him like we've seen happen. Fans are cruel, for no reason whatsoever. It's time that the good fans start calling them out, and putting them in their place.

This young man doesn't deserve the ignorant criticism directed at him. His missing practice wasn't for nothing, it was because something was so distressing in his life that it overshadowed everything he's worked so hard to attain. Only an idiot would get down on him for it. I doubt there's too many of us out here who wouldn't break under certain pressures. If you say you wouldn't, because you're so "tough," I'd remind you of guys I saw arriving in our unit in Vietnam, who would arrive, and talk like they wanted to get a few "kills" under their belt, because that's why they went there. Then, when the shooting started, and you could hear the hiss of bullets passing near us, they'd hide in bunkers, peeing their pants, and many calling out for "Mommy."

Until we've traveled another person's journey, we have absolutely no right to criticize them unless we know what they did, and it was wrong.

As far as the "so called" reporter that broke the story in a callous way, he's a total idiot, who has a track record of showing it for the last twenty years. I know first hand, because I had run ins with him a long time ago, on the internet, before he kissed enough rear to become a so called reporter. Take my word for it. Believing him is like believing the world is flat.

Good post and I agree. This whole thread is a good example of how information and disinformation is perceived. While I didn't read every single post in the thread, I noticed how the prevailing opinion of Doubs shifted, as actual information was learned, my own included.

Hopefully Bill Huber is a fan of our forum and the next time he or another beat writer decides to "break a story", they get all their facts corrects before it goes to print.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post and I agree. This whole thread is a good example of how information and disinformation is perceived. While I didn't read every single post in the thread, I noticed how the prevailing opinion of Doubs shifted, as actual information was learned, my own included.

Hopefully Bill Huber is a fan of our forum and the next time he or another beat writer decides to "break a story", they get all their facts corrects before it goes to print.
He pretty well doubled down on it here, too, adding this bit in: "In the week since our reporting, nobody within the team or within Doubs’ circle refuted the story."

:cautious:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He pretty well doubled down on it here, too, adding this bit in: "In the week since our reporting, nobody within the team or within Doubs’ circle refuted the story."

:cautious:
Yeah and this line about sent me through the roof in anger:

"Talking to reporters on Friday for the first time since his suspension, Green Bay Packers receiver Romeo Doubs shed no light on why he skipped practice on Thursday and Friday of last week."

F Off Bill, if you can't read between the lines and F'ing read the room/Doubs, than you absolutely suck as a reporter.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, after reading that article, im just thinking maybe Doubs is suffering so PTSD from the thought of heading back to south central LA. Or even maybe threats from the hood to himself or family...speculation foresure but he did have a traumatic time growing up in LA. Hope he gets 3 TDs this week.
Not a bad call. 2 will do!!!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's just say that my experience with Huber goes deeper than just reading his garbage. It goes back to when he was involved in an online community. He was worthless then, and absolutely nothing has changed. If he was an attorney, he'd be an ambulance chaser who would respond to crash sites and create exaggerated injuries to take to court. This was a prime example of that idiocy.

If he writes it, doubt it, because his "inside info" doesn't really exist. He's the kind of guy who would give a Lambeau Field janitor a 25 cent tip to hear bits and pieces of information he could weave into a story.

Anyhow, that's my feelings about him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's just say that my experience with Huber goes deeper than just reading his garbage. It goes back to when he was involved in an online community. He was worthless then, and absolutely nothing has changed. If he was an attorney, he'd be an ambulance chaser who would respond to crash sites and create exaggerated injuries to take to court. This was a prime example of that idiocy.

If he writes it, doubt it, because his "inside info" doesn't really exist. He's the kind of guy who would give a Lambeau Field janitor a 25 cent tip to hear bits and pieces of information he could weave into a story.

I also think Huber falls victim to folks "in the organization" that want sooooo badly to be that "source" - it makes them feel special...that they hear half of one sentence in a ten minute conversation while restocking cleaning supplies in the closet with a shared wall to a meeting room and bam...we get a story.

I'll liken it to the Malik Willis trade notice...I shared here that I had word something was happening BUT it was not from a source I personally have vented to the point of trusting...so by the time I posted it here slightly before the news broke it was because someone I would trust my child with gave me insight....his exact words were "Remember that small school crazy gifted QB you liked back in 2022...may want to brush up on your notes on him."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I also think Huber falls victim to folks "in the organization" that want sooooo badly to be that "source" - it makes them feel special...that they hear half of one sentence in a ten minute conversation while restocking cleaning supplies in the closet with a shared wall to a meeting room and bam...we get a story.
I guess if that is the case, Huber, who claims to be a professional journalist, is his own worst victim, for running with those types of sources on his stories.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess if that is the case, Huber, who claims to be a professional journalist, is his own worst victim, for running with those types of sources on his stories.

Nature of the line of work....if you ain't first you don't get hardly any traffic and without traffic you lose the analytics for sponsors and advertisers to pay you.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a shame to hear. I have no personal experience, just reading articles...so I will certainly defer to you. My "gut" read of it is one that we have seen before from MANY journalists - there's a race to be *first* rather than accurate. And maybe Doubs DID make a passing comment or something about wanting to get more targets. Maybe someone hears that, and then Doubs misses practice, and decides that 2+2 makes 5 and passes that along as a "source" to a reporter. In whatever case, the report is wrong, but again (seen this plenty of times before too) - the reporter doesn't want to admit their source was wrong or doesn't want to admit that they didn't do their due diligence to corroborate OR will very quietly issue a small retraction and/or apology that barely gets noticed, after their exclusive scoop got all the clicks/views. Tale as old as time.

And of course it's more or less a win-win for the journo. They get their "exclusive story". If it does turn out to be wrong, they can just throw their "unnamed sources" under the bus. And to make it even better (for the writer), since Doubs has insinuated it's a mental health problem, OF COURSE the team isn't going to say anything otherwise. Even if not strictly a HIPAA matter for all persons, anyone in the organization with a shred of decency are not going to give away Doubs' private health information without his express consent and it seems pretty clear from what we have seen from Doubs that he would prefer not to have a lot of people talking about that.

I don't know. The whole tone of the follow-up article rubs me the wrong way. The initial title of the above-linked story was "Doubs offers shifting explanations for suspension" (and it appears to still show that way on search results. Or see also:

Romeo Doubs shed no light on why he skipped practice
Packers On SI reported last week that Doubs chose not to show up at Lambeau Field on Thursday because he was unhappy with his role on the offense. Doubs said that was not true.

“No. It wasn’t,” Doubs said.

However, asked about his thoughts on his role on the offense, Doubs replied with a “No comment.”
At one point, Doubs referenced mental health.

Later, though, he said, “I’m doing fine.”
[Gutekunst] would not have made such a drastic move if Doubs’ absence were related to mental health or family issues. Rather, the suspension was solely because of Doubs’ decision to not show up for work.

“His decisions and actions during the week negatively impacted the team and required us to take this action," Gutekunst said.

Like I said. Just don't care for the tone of it. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it feels accusatory and just kind of scummy, like he's trying to catch the guy in a lie or tongue-tied rather than admit to an erroneous scoop.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I think we are all guilty of running with imperfect "info". However, I for one don't get paid for what I write.

Nature of the line of work....if you ain't first you don't get hardly any traffic and without traffic you lose the analytics for sponsors and advertisers to pay you.

Sadly, true and it is what the internet has done to "journalism". Being "first" is more important than being "correct". I can't tell you how many times I have run across "BREAKING NEWS" online, whether it is Twitter (X) or just a google search. That "BREAKING NEWS" is usually either old news or bullship.

But hey, when people make their money on clicks alone, who cares what you say, print or do, right?

OOMPA Tailgate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has to realize that in those 2 games without Love that the goal was to run the ball. With Watson out he may think he should be the go to guy. Well, Reed has been the headline so far. Malik and Bo are going to get some PT this week. It is football. It is a team game.
A team game? It was and ever will be:) And there's only 1 ball on the field

Members online

No members online now.