Doubs Missing Practice

Reaction score
I don’t condemn Doubs for miscommunication. I look to see how he handles this situation. I’m pretty sure he was getting bad advice. From most accounts Doubs comes across as a humble man and one thing I do well is I read people pretty good. A tree is known by its fruit, but just because 1 Apple is bad in 1 season doesn’t imply we should cut the entire tree down.

One thing I think that’s in short supply in this generation is grace and compassion. One form of that is giving people the benefit of the doubt. I believe if we each offer one another an underserved dose of compassion this world would begin to change for the better. I motion to let the man show his response in his actions.

PS. My prayers go out to Central Florida. Those folks are getting 2 Hurricanes in 2 weeks. It’s an inconceivable struggle but all eyes are on you Florida. We love you guys!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t condemn Doubs for miscommunication. I look to see how he handles this situation. I’m pretty sure he was getting bad advice. From most accounts Doubs comes across as a humble man and one thing I do well is I read people pretty good. A tree is known by its fruit, but just because 1 Apple is bad in 1 season doesn’t imply we should cut the entire tree down.

One thing I think that’s in short supply in this generation is grace and compassion. One form of that is giving people the benefit of the doubt. I believe if we each offer one another an underserved dose of compassion this world would begin to change for the better. I motion to let the man show his response in his actions.

PS. My prayers go out to Central Florida. Those folks are getting 2 Hurricanes in 2 weeks. It’s an inconceivable struggle but all eyes are on you Florida. We love you guys!

I agree it's all about how he handles this going forward. He's not the first young man to make a mistake - If he learns from it, it could be the proverbial Blessing in disguise.

Allow me to add my prayers to yours for all those affected by the storms in Florida and elsewhere in the South. These have been difficult days for many of them.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of all the mistakes that he could make, this is pretty minor. It's only highlighted due to social media and 24hr sports news that always stirs up the drama.

From all accounts Romeo is a good kid. His actions mean nothing to me. He's just a 24yr old kid trying to make decisions in a grown-up world. At least he didn't get a DWI or beat up his girlfriend.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of all the mistakes that he could make, this is pretty minor. It's only highlighted due to social media and 24hr sports news that always stirs up the drama.

From all accounts Romeo is a good kid. His actions mean nothing to me. He's just a 24yr old kid trying to make decisions in a grown-up world. At least he didn't get a DWI or beat up his girlfriend.

Agreed. I let his track record control my thoughts more than just one atypical action until that becomes his track record. I also have ZERO doubt there is more to this story - and truth be told unless Romeo wants it to be known, its no one's business what that may be.

I for one want Romeo around and truth be told I lean his direction over the first WR domino to fall in two years when he and Watson's contracts expire...I just see a surehanded, steady WR presence that can be your 1 like in the playoffs for a game and truthfully be explosive OR he can easily be that 5 receptions for 50 yards and three first downs in a game and be fine with it...this is an undervalued WR in the league IMO, but still will be relatively expensive.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Watson is always intriguing but just can't stay healthy. He will always be the unicorn tempting us off in the distance. Doubs is the safer bet.

Reaction score
I still think Doubs is a mix of a larger version of Donald Driver and some aspects of James Jones (by JJ’s own admission) Great Possession Receiver with near elite contested catch ability. Might not be that 1,400+ yard guy.. but I can absolutely see him becoming a viable WR2 in that “primary support” role.
800-900 yards 6-8 TD’s 14.0 per catch etc.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no reason to believe Romeo is a bad guy and I have no intention of casting aspersions on his character, but it does seem like this is perhaps something we should come to expect more and more from the WR position (and not even with Doubs in particular).

Whether it is explicitly written into their current contract or not (performance incentives, etc), it seems like WRs are a lot more aware of their target share in recent years. Because broadly speaking...more targets means more production. And more production means a bigger contract down the line. If you're a guy who is getting 50 catches a year, you're getting a radically different contract offer than a guy who is catching 100.

And so it's like I said...I don't think he's a bad guy by any means, or even particularly selfish or not a team player from what I can tell. But guys' time in the league is generally short and they're going to do what they feel is necessary to make sure they've taken care of themselves, too.

So, we'll see. Again, nothing against Doubs...but if the season goes on and he continues to feel like he's not getting opportunities that are commensurate with what he believes to be his talent level (and thereby limiting his future potential compensation), then it may be that we have not quite heard the last of this one yet...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As they always say, compel the team to play you more by being a star every time you are around the ball. Don't throw a fit to get your way.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As they always say, compel the team to play you more by being a star every time you are around the ball. Don't throw a fit to get your way.
I wouldn't disagree, but by and large a lot of teams have demonstrated that throwing a fit *does* often work for a player to get their way. They're either good enough that the team feels compelled to meet their demands...or some other needy team will step in and be willing to meet them.

Reaction score
I wouldn't disagree, but by and large a lot of teams have demonstrated that throwing a fit *does* often work for a player to get their way. They're either good enough that the team feels compelled to meet their demands...or some other needy team will step in and be willing to meet them.
Sure. However there’s an age old lesson to be aware of. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Ask countless players including more recently Greg Jennings or Davante.

I think being a member of the Packers as a WR is really good opportunity. We seem to spread the ball around adequately as evidenced by our top 3 Receivers last week had 22, 22, 20 in targets going into the LA contest.
I know it was just an arbitrary example of getting 50 be 100 targets for a contract, but here Doubs was on pace for 85 targets this season!
Thats a lot closer to 100 than it is 50.

Point being nobody was ignoring Doubs that’s just not factual (not saying you said that Magooch). Him missing time? Now that will get you 50 targets pretty fast. Before last week? Doubs was 1 addition target per week from finishing at 100 targets.
I call that substantial I think most of you would also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just get back to work and put this behind us. Point Taken Doubs… we will be sensitive your whining crybaby complaints I mean needs!j/k

Reaction score
Oh my gosh. Listening to Shannon Sharpe and Chad Ocho talk about him missing practice! I don’t realize even among players THAT is unheard of. Not practicing but present? Ok. They make it sound like it’s complete death to a players EXCEPT caliber of Jefferson, Rice, Tyreek, Rodgers etc.
Made it very apparent that beginning of year 3 of a Rookie contract is a an absolute travesty to “no show”
Like it basically never happened in their multiple decades of experience type anomoly. Apparently no show to
a football Practice to a NFL player is like no showing to a game. Near unrecoverable. I didn’t know that it was the level of detriment, but that’s how the players themselves look at it.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I dunno. Like I said...kinda wonder if we haven't heard the last of this one. I don't really expect anyone to say anything publicly about it, but it feels like a lot of the statements from the team have been kind of generic stuff (that could even be interpreted as non-commital if you're so inclined) like "we expect everyone will move forward" or "we hope to put this behind us" or stuff like that.

And like I said, publicly I don't really expect them to say anything otherwise. But as much as I'd hope it's all done and water under the bridge...we'll see. I have a hunch if last week's game had gone worse there might be different mood/conversations going on right now.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh my gosh. Listening to Shannon Sharpe and Chad Ocho talk about him missing practice! I don’t realize even among players THAT is unheard of. Not practicing but present? Ok. They make it sound like it’s complete death to a players EXCEPT caliber of Jefferson, Rice, Tyreek, Rodgers etc.
Made it very apparent that beginning of year 3 of a Rookie contract is a an absolute travesty to “no show”
Like it basically never happened in their multiple decades of experience type anomoly. Apparently no show to
a football Practice to a NFL player is like no showing to a game. Near unrecoverable. I didn’t know that it was the level of detriment, but that’s how the players themselves look at it.

Which is the main reason most think there is vastly more stuff to this story than just diva-ness.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no reason to believe Romeo is a bad guy and I have no intention of casting aspersions on his character, but it does seem like this is perhaps something we should come to expect more and more from the WR position (and not even with Doubs in particular).

Whether it is explicitly written into their current contract or not (performance incentives, etc), it seems like WRs are a lot more aware of their target share in recent years. Because broadly speaking...more targets means more production. And more production means a bigger contract down the line. If you're a guy who is getting 50 catches a year, you're getting a radically different contract offer than a guy who is catching 100.

And so it's like I said...I don't think he's a bad guy by any means, or even particularly selfish or not a team player from what I can tell. But guys' time in the league is generally short and they're going to do what they feel is necessary to make sure they've taken care of themselves, too.

So, we'll see. Again, nothing against Doubs...but if the season goes on and he continues to feel like he's not getting opportunities that are commensurate with what he believes to be his talent level (and thereby limiting his future potential compensation), then it may be that we have not quite heard the last of this one yet...
This is the price paid of having numerous intriguing offensive weapons. The running game must be established regardless of what the 6 WR's think or feel. You generally get 65 offensive plays a game. No WR on this team is going to average 10+ targets a game imo. The math doesn't work out. If they can't live with that fact, they'll have to take their show someplace else and they WILL be replaced.

Reaction score
This is the price paid of having numerous intriguing offensive weapons. The running game must be established regardless of what the 6 WR's think or feel. You generally get 65 offensive plays a game. No WR on this team is going to average 10+ targets a game imo. The math doesn't work out. If they can't live with that fact, they'll have to take their show someplace else and they WILL be replaced.
That aligns with a more practical approach. No team is going to purposefully “feed you” much more than 100 targets in a season unless you prove first to be a potent producer. Imo the only guy who has earned that right? Jayden Reed. That guy is head and shoulders above anyone in that WR Room. I’m not saying he’s the only good player, but he’s the Great player right now. IMO l, Reed is the only WR who definitively could go to any NFL team and win a starting role upon suiting up. Now I’m not down on our WR’s and I like Doubs and Watson, but I really can’t say that about either of them. There’s a realistic chance that on many NFL teams they would regress.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That aligns with a more practical approach. No team is going to purposefully “feed you” much more than 100 targets in a season unless you prove first to be a potent producer. Imo the only guy who has earned that right? Jayden Reed. That guy is head and shoulders above anyone in that WR Room. I’m not saying he’s the only good player, but he’s the Great player right now. IMO l, Reed is the only WR who definitively could go to any NFL team and win a starting role. I like Doubs and Watson, but I really can’t say that about either

Reed's "specialness" for lack of a better term is due to the diverse skillset he has and vision as a runner. Some of the greatest WRs ever were terrible at vision with the ball in their hands - they were route running technicians...could slip a DB or double move backside coverage but once the ball was in their hands it was footspeed or angles they used only to accomplish moving the ball. Reed is literally a running back with the ball in how he doesn't just try to juke, he sets up defenders, double moves and reads seams opening up prior to them being there like that of a RB. Truthfully I actually think he may be the third or fourth best route runner on the team, but there is no other WR more diverse or deadlier with the ball in their hands as him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I agree and I think there is more to this (Doubs skipping out of 2 practices) than we know. Let's hope it is behind Doubs and the Packers, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is something that sticks to him for awhile.

Seems like the Steelers are seeing one of their Star WR's, George Pickens, doing some dumb stuff as well. Putting messages on his mouth guard and then his eye black patches. Then at the end of the loss to Dallas, his boneheaded grabbing of a Cowboy players facemask.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree and I think there is more to this (Doubs skipping out of 2 practices) than we know. Let's hope it is behind Doubs and the Packers, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is something that sticks to him for awhile.

Seems like the Steelers are seeing one of their Star WR's, George Pickens, doing some dumb stuff as well. Putting messages on his mouth guard and then his eye black patches. Then at the end of the loss to Dallas, his boneheaded grabbing of a Cowboy players facemask.

Pickens is a truly bad egg, but very skilled. Doubs does not deserve to be mentioned in anyway as comparable based on history until his stuff becomes more than one event.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BUT, we would be foolish to think this won't be a factor in Gute's mind and others in the future decisions on him and Watson contracts both up after next year's season....

I think Christian did an impeccable job at his locker yesterday both being candid, sincere and honest in his responses to the situation without also breaking any confidentiality within the locker room. If you didn't hear much of it, look it up...it confirms this was a significant issue, that there likely is more to this than mere playing time and that it likely will take some time for the family to move on as he put it.

I leaned very heavily on the Doubs over Watson train merely because of health reasons and consistency...this makes it much more even in my predict-o-meter

Reaction score
BUT, we would be foolish to think this won't be a factor in Gute's mind and others in the future decisions on him and Watson contracts both up after next year's season....

I think Christian did an impeccable job at his locker yesterday both being candid, sincere and honest in his responses to the situation without also breaking any confidentiality within the locker room. If you didn't hear much of it, look it up...it confirms this was a significant issue, that there likely is more to this than mere playing time and that it likely will take some time for the family to move on as he put it.

I leaned very heavily on the Doubs over Watson train merely because of health reasons and consistency...this makes it much more even in my predict-o-meter
I agree. Another slight but important trait is Watson is a rare speed demon. Doubs is a little better at high pointing and route running, but just imo he’s more replaceable. Try getting a guy with 4.3 speed on the FA market. It’s VERY expensive and good reason. Just that Speed and Vertical threat being on the field is advantageous for an Offense

Now Doubs is a good (but not great yet) possession Receiver. Wonderful at High-pointing and almost fun to watch. He is not yet a guy that will draw doubles. If all things are equal as you said? I’m going deep threat and the better blocker. A players minor injuries are offset by another players personal unknowns. Especially in GB where we really lean heavy on character and lockerroom factors.

All this said. My true hope is that Doubs comes out these next couple of games extra motivated and speaks to us on the field. I’ve had enough interviews

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Another slight but important trait is Watson is a rare speed demon. Doubs is a little better at high pointing and route running, but just imo he’s more replaceable. Try getting a guy with 4.3 speed on the FA market. It’s VERY expensive and good reason. Just that Speed and Vertical threat being on the field is advantageous for an Offense

Now Doubs is a good (but not great yet) possession Receiver. Wonderful at High-pointing and almost fun to watch. He is not yet a guy that will draw doubles. If all things are equal as you said? I’m going deep threat and the better blocker. A players minor injuries are offset by another players personal unknowns. Especially in GB where we really lean heavy on character and lockerroom factors.

All this said. My true hope is that Doubs comes out these next couple of games extra motivated and speaks to us on the field. I’ve had enough interviews

Honestly getting a sub 4.4 guy is not as unicorn oriented as it used to be....we have Melton also on the squad. And check this out...

2024 WRs with sub 4.4 speed and round they went (excluded first round):

Ladd McConkey - 2nd
Jacob Cowing - 4th
Roman Wilson - 3rd
Anthony Gould - 5th
Devontez Walker - 4th
Adonai Mitchell - 2nd

Trey Palmer - 6th
Derius Davis - 4th
Matt Landers - UDFA
Bryce Ford-Wheaton - UDFA
Marvin Mims - 2nd