Da NFC North discussion/standings after wk 1.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the purgatory of waiting for the MRI on Rome Odunze’s knee to come back is why you never gleefully root for another players injury.
I was very happy for Packer nation that Jordans injury was not season ending and all we can do is hope the same can be said in the near future about Rome’s knee.

I would say it was a sloppy week all the way around for everybody in the division.
But…..that Bears game and how they won was the most “Bears” type game I’ve ever seen since Rex Grossman was our QB.

I wish I had it on video(famous last words) but with about 10 minutes in the fourth quarter I had myself a little powwow between myself and the Bears defense in the spirit world…..and I said this:
“I know……I know…..I said this year was going to be different. This quarterback is different. He is the real deal and the Offense won’t be offensive and they are going to score points and we’re not going to have come to you in the fourth quarter and go….can we plz have a touchdown cause we really need it to win!!!!”
And then it happened, the sun shined down and the D-Line crashed through like a bunch of wild grizzly bears and Will Levis….you beautiful sum braatch, instead of taking the sack… you just flung the ball into the air where my guy Tyrique Stevenson makes the easiest pick of his career and houses it…..paving the way for victory……Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew. To close for comfort.
What I take away from this game, the most is that the flashes for Caleb were there. Keenan Allen dropped a sure fire touchdown pass and there were several other drops/good plays by defenders that I’m sure our offense would love to have back. No one can deny it was a very **** poor showing.
However, this actually makes me come away from this game happy and optimistic. We can fix the mistakes on offense and when they do start firing all cylinders… everybody just saw how good our defense and special teams are so…..theres a very dangerous group of men in Chi-Town calling themselves “Da Monsters of the Midway”…we’ll have to wait and see if it comes to fruition.

No need to discuss the Packers game on a Packers site.

The Vikings looked sharp against, albeit a horrendously bad, Giants football club that is in for a long year it seems.
Darnold was above average and A. Jones ran the ball extremely well and their D stood tough. It will be interesting to see if Sam Darnold can play well enough to resurrect his career and lead the Queens to a playoff berth. (Couldn’t help myself and hopefully there’s no love lost on this board for Minnesota). A strong performance on the road.

Now for Detoilet.
David Montgomery is still a beast and I wish he was still wearing a Chicago Bears uniform. He was a very good back yesterday and in overtime had a run where he carried 5/6 defenders 5 yards to the half yard line….it was some beast-mode style shiiite.
The Lions did get very lucky though because one of the Rams DB dropped a for sure interception with four minutes to go in the game now Detroit did have three timeouts, but maybe that seriously changes the trajectory of the ending and maybe there is no overtime.
That’s why they play the game though. All in all the Rams have some legit weapons and the Lions defense looked as good or better than last years. Both will most likely be playoff teams.
Good win for the kitties.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
A win is a win is a win ... the Giants get paid and are professionals. Bears made a helluva comeback after being down 17 to win. Congrats on the win.

OP
OP
Calebs Revenge

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thnks bubby. It was a hard fought victory.

I also just saw, not an official update, but a leaked report that says Odunze’s knee is a grade one MCL sprain, which is the best case scenario that we could’ve hoped for so I hope it’s true.

OP
OP
Calebs Revenge

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will also say our punter was absolutely worth the 4th rounder. He kept the Titans in bad field position all game basically and a bad bounce kept our guy from downing 1 punt at the 1 yard line. He’s gonna be special.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Did I mention that as a youngster, I hit Butkus in the helmet with an ice ball during pre-game warm-ups? Not proud of it as an adult but as a Bears hating younger teen, I was pretty happy with my arm.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I mention that as a youngster, I hit Butkus in the helmet with an ice ball during pre-game warm-ups? Not proud of it as an adult but as a Bears hating younger teen, I was pretty happy with my arm.
Just be glad you never had to play against him in the NFL. He would do a lot more than throw an ice ball at you. Gave Bart Starr a concussion in 1968 in the first quarter of the season finale by slamming his head into the ground when the tackle was pretty much over already.

OP
OP
Calebs Revenge

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as he had the helmet on, I can dig it. That was back in the days when you were actually allowed to act like a child and a boy and it was OK.

OP
OP
Calebs Revenge

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just be glad you never had to play against him in the NFL. He would do a lot more than throw an ice ball at you. Gave Bart Starr a concussion in 1968 in the first quarter of the season finale by slamming his head into the ground when the tackle was pretty much over already.
I do remember an interview with some Packers offensive guard who smiled and chuckled fondly remembering going after Butkus’ knees every chance he got.

OP
OP
Calebs Revenge

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lineman did say “one day it started raining on a sunny day and I was like WTF it’s sunny!!! I then looked up and Butkus was slobbering and spitting on all of us”

“So yeah….. I went after his knees the dirty SOB.”

Old school. The best school.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do remember an interview with some Packers offensive guard who smiled and chuckled fondly remembering going after Butkus’ knees every chance he got.
That was the only way you might try to hit him. The same with Nitschke and Sam Huff back in that day. Too bad going at the knees to cut those guys was legal back then unless it was a clip.

Reaction score
In looking for a glimmer of optimism because obviously when your Starting QB goes down it’s tough. I noticed that our schedule is backloaded with NFC opponents and Division teams.

8 of our 9 FINAL contests are against NFC opponents.
5 out of 6 intra Division NORTH matchups are in the last 9 weeks. Which likely = the only Division matchup without #10? under Center?? the Vikings at Lambeau

We only play 3 NFC teams in the next 7 weeks. Only play only 1 NFC team on the Road (LA) in the next 7 weeks. This could be crucial in a tie breaking or wildcard scenario.

The reason I say that is as long as we take care of business in that last 9 weeks we will be very much alive in our division or Conference. With our #10 being out for an estimated 2-4 games minimum this couldn’t have been better. An injury mid season or end of this season week 13 etc. would’ve been much worse. With what likely a 4-5 week QB recovery (3-4 games missed) our schedule is near ideal.

This schedule layout could factor heavily in our favor for Division records IF we are playing catch up.
Start 3-5 and finish 6-3 and there’s a good likelyhood of playoffs. Thats why I was saying that even a 1-4 start doesn’t put us out of anything. In my estimation we need to Win just 1 of the next 3 to remain stealthy but alive

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reports coming out today that Love’s injury will have him back at the earlier end of the 2-4 weeks originally reported.
Great News!!

This is probably the reason we waited and didn’t jump at another Veteran. I suspect Love will miss 1-2 games based on what’s being shared this morning.

OP
OP
Calebs Revenge

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s great news. Looks like we dodged the same bullet with Rome. I literally want both our squads at for our matchup. Both teams are good and if Caleb figures it out over the next few weeks it could be a 41-38 type game!!!!
I can’t imagine Caleb putting up worse numbers. The only thing I will say is Keenan dropped to touchdown pass, and Caleb did the most important thing by not turning the ball over. Look at how that worked out for Will Levis.
It’s also criminal that Cole Kmet was on the field for less than 50% of the offensive plays and had one catch for 4 yards. That’s inexcusable on the offensive coordinator. He is too good of a weapon to have one catch.

Very much looking forward to Sunday nights game because you can tell CJ and Justin Fields are really really good friends. He doesn’t like that Caleb took Justin‘s job and he’s going to be looking to put an explanation point on a bery personal beat down that he want to give Da Bearss very badly.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the purgatory of waiting for the MRI on Rome Odunze’s knee to come back is why you never gleefully root for another players injury.
I was very happy for Packer nation that Jordans injury was not season ending and all we can do is hope the same can be said in the near future about Rome’s knee.

I would say it was a sloppy week all the way around for everybody in the division.
But…..that Bears game and how they won was the most “Bears” type game I’ve ever seen since Rex Grossman was our QB.

I wish I had it on video(famous last words) but with about 10 minutes in the fourth quarter I had myself a little powwow between myself and the Bears defense in the spirit world…..and I said this:
“I know……I know…..I said this year was going to be different. This quarterback is different. He is the real deal and the Offense won’t be offensive and they are going to score points and we’re not going to have come to you in the fourth quarter and go….can we plz have a touchdown cause we really need it to win!!!!”
And then it happened, the sun shined down and the D-Line crashed through like a bunch of wild grizzly bears and Will Levis….you beautiful sum braatch, instead of taking the sack… you just flung the ball into the air where my guy Tyrique Stevenson makes the easiest pick of his career and houses it…..paving the way for victory……Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew. To close for comfort.
What I take away from this game, the most is that the flashes for Caleb were there. Keenan Allen dropped a sure fire touchdown pass and there were several other drops/good plays by defenders that I’m sure our offense would love to have back. No one can deny it was a very **** poor showing.
However, this actually makes me come away from this game happy and optimistic. We can fix the mistakes on offense and when they do start firing all cylinders… everybody just saw how good our defense and special teams are so…..theres a very dangerous group of men in Chi-Town calling themselves “Da Monsters of the Midway”…we’ll have to wait and see if it comes to fruition.

No need to discuss the Packers game on a Packers site.

The Vikings looked sharp against, albeit a horrendously bad, Giants football club that is in for a long year it seems.
Darnold was above average and A. Jones ran the ball extremely well and their D stood tough. It will be interesting to see if Sam Darnold can play well enough to resurrect his career and lead the Queens to a playoff berth. (Couldn’t help myself and hopefully there’s no love lost on this board for Minnesota). A strong performance on the road.

Now for Detoilet.
David Montgomery is still a beast and I wish he was still wearing a Chicago Bears uniform. He was a very good back yesterday and in overtime had a run where he carried 5/6 defenders 5 yards to the half yard line….it was some beast-mode style shiiite.
The Lions did get very lucky though because one of the Rams DB dropped a for sure interception with four minutes to go in the game now Detroit did have three timeouts, but maybe that seriously changes the trajectory of the ending and maybe there is no overtime.
That’s why they play the game though. All in all the Rams have some legit weapons and the Lions defense looked as good or better than last years. Both will most likely be playoff teams.
Good win for the kitties.
I hope Odunze is okay. I hate seeing players on any team being injured. I don't think anyone has seen even an inkling as to whether or not Caleb Williams has the tools to be a solid NFL QB. I think it's premature to even make an assessment about how much talent he has this early in his career. He's still in the early stages of his career, and development in the NFL. If you believe the hype surrounding him, out of Chicago, the guy was the greatest QB to ever grace the NFL, before even played a down. Now? A lot of those camp followers are saying he's a wasted draft pick. A lot of real "loyalty" there.

I thought the Bears defense was amazing Sunday. Are they that good, or was the opposition that bad? We'll get a better idea this coming Sunday. But, I do think they're going to be an important factor for the Bears going forward, especially during the first half of this season, while Caleb is learning the ropes.

I confess that I do sneak in bits and pieces of watching them play. I always like to get an idea just how well the Packer opposition is shaping up.

What I also like is the number of Bears fans who are friends of mine, who have contributed greatly to my vokda supply over the last decade. Almost every year, I've been graced with a half dozen bottles of some of Mexico's finest, and from others, a great selection of just as many cognacs. So, there's that, to be grateful for, on my part.

What makes me laugh is that up until this year, I've been cleaning up on nearly twenty of them, and last winter, all but 4 dropped out, and here we are with the Bears actually making noises like they might even be competitive.

OP
OP
Calebs Revenge

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Odunze is okay. I hate seeing players on any team being injured. I don't think anyone has seen even an inkling as to whether or not Caleb Williams has the tools to be a solid NFL QB. I think it's premature to even make an assessment about how much talent he has this early in his career. He's still in the early stages of his career, and development in the NFL. If you believe the hype surrounding him, out of Chicago, the guy was the greatest QB to ever grace the NFL, before even played a down. Now? A lot of those camp followers are saying he's a wasted draft pick. A lot of real "loyalty" there.

I thought the Bears defense was amazing Sunday. Are they that good, or was the opposition that bad? We'll get a better idea this coming Sunday. But, I do think they're going to be an important factor for the Bears going forward, especially during the first half of this season, while Caleb is learning the ropes.

I confess that I do sneak in bits and pieces of watching them play. I always like to get an idea just how well the Packer opposition is shaping up.

What I also like is the number of Bears fans who are friends of mine, who have contributed greatly to my vokda supply over the last decade. Almost every year, I've been graced with a half dozen bottles of some of Mexico's finest, and from others, a great selection of just as many cognacs. So, there's that, to be grateful for, on my part.

What makes me laugh is that up until this year, I've been cleaning up on nearly twenty of them, and last winter, all but 4 dropped out, and here we are with the Bears actually making noises like they might even be competitive.
Yep, I’m an easy mark as well when it comes to betting the Bears versus the Packers because my loyalty(and my stupid effin.g ego!!) will not allow me to not take the bet.
In a way I’m glad Caleb played the way he did because I’m sure it was a very humbling experience and I would rather it happen on a day the defense and ST’s can bail him out then not.
He showed flashes though, lots of close balls, some hands defenders, some over throws……..but most importantly he didn’t turn the ball over.
A lot of people will say Levis was the better quarterback on Sunday, but that game losing pick six says otherwise to me. Even their new head coach says we could’ve punted the ball on first down that drive and probably come away with the win….. which is why they play the games!!!!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, I’m an easy mark as well when it comes to betting the Bears versus the Packers because my loyalty(and my stupid effin.g ego!!) will not allow me to not take the bet.
In a way I’m glad Caleb played the way he did because I’m sure it was a very humbling experience and I would rather it happen on a day the defense and ST’s can bail him out then not.
He showed flashes though, lots of close balls, some hands defenders, some over throws……..but most importantly he didn’t turn the ball over.
A lot of people will say Levis was the better quarterback on Sunday, but that game losing pick six says otherwise to me. Even their new head coach says we could’ve punted the ball on first down that drive and probably come away with the win….. which is why they play the games!!!!
Back in the 70s, when the Packers were pretty much an NFL doormat, and I was a cop in Chicago-land, I went to all the Packer/Bears games in Chicago with friends, who were Bears fans. Needless to say, I paid for a lot of drinks after the games, at Chicago watering holes, due to the bets we'd made. So, I guess where I've been with it the last decade plus has made up for that era of doom and gloom.

I've never judged a QB based on who was better in a specific game on a specific day. I judge them on a body of work, and even one year doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. It's like Jordan Love. He did a solid job last year, but it's only a one year sample of his work. I'm anxious to see what he stacks next to it this year, and next year. After three years, I'll have a much better idea where he's going with his game, and how well it's grown. Until then, I'm just glad he had 3 seasons to sit behind Rodgers and learn the ropes. If the talent is there, and it can be developed slowly, a QB can catch up with the speed of the NFL game, which is like the difference between an old coal driven 1890s locomotive, and a bullet train as to how each play develops.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in the 70s, when the Packers were pretty much an NFL doormat, and I was a cop in Chicago-land, I went to all the Packer/Bears games in Chicago with friends, who were Bears fans. Needless to say, I paid for a lot of drinks after the games, at Chicago watering holes, due to the bets we'd made. So, I guess where I've been with it the last decade plus has made up for that era of doom and gloom.

I've never judged a QB based on who was better in a specific game on a specific day. I judge them on a body of work, and even one year doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. It's like Jordan Love. He did a solid job last year, but it's only a one year sample of his work. I'm anxious to see what he stacks next to it this year, and next year. After three years, I'll have a much better idea where he's going with his game, and how well it's grown. Until then, I'm just glad he had 3 seasons to sit behind Rodgers and learn the ropes. If the talent is there, and it can be developed slowly, a QB can catch up with the speed of the NFL game, which is like the difference between an old coal driven 1890s locomotive, and a bullet train as to how each play develops.
And watching Burrows struggle Sunday with the Bengals after 4 seasons and a SB appearance it makes you wonder when DOES a QB become an elite QB?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And watching Burrows struggle Sunday with the Bengals after 4 seasons and a SB appearance it makes you wonder when DOES a QB become an elite QB?
Way too often fans fail to realize that the game plan can have a dramatic effect on how well a QB plays. If the plan exploits of the opposition, and the plays fall into the QB's wheel house, he's in a position to quite possibly having a great game. If he's asked to use plays he finds difficult for him to accomplish, it can end up a disaster.

I keep asking myself why so many HCs will continue to have their QB remain in the pocket to take a pounding when the offensive line isn't giving his receivers time to run their routes. You'd think they'd be smart enough to use roll outs, to defeat the rush, and give that QB more time to make his reads, and the receives to find their spots. No matter who the QB, I've seen this happen, way too often.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too often fans fail to realize that the game plan can have a dramatic effect on how well a QB plays. If the plan exploits of the opposition, and the plays fall into the QB's wheel house, he's in a position to quite possibly having a great game. If he's asked to use plays he finds difficult for him to accomplish, it can end up a disaster.

I keep asking myself why so many HCs will continue to have their QB remain in the pocket to take a pounding when the offensive line isn't giving his receivers time to run their routes. You'd think they'd be smart enough to use roll outs, to defeat the rush, and give that QB more time to make his reads, and the receives to find their spots. No matter who the QB, I've seen this happen, way too often.
I actually believe the Packers should try to get Willis OUT of the pocket more this week. The Colts are familiar with him since he was in that division.

OP
OP
Calebs Revenge

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You mentioned you like Vodka. We aren’t known for our vodka here in Kentucky, but we do do bourbon very well. In fact, right now I have open bottles of Blantons, Weller(antique),E.H. Taylor, Buffalo Trace and Makers Mark for my wife.
The distillery in Frankfurt for Buffalo Trace came out with, in the last year or two, a vodka called Wheatley. I’ve heard good things if it reaches that far.

Members online