Brown traded to Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have liked Humphries for some time as well, but he'd prob cost in the 8-10M range. Would you sign him for that money, given that we would have about 10-15M left to sign OL, S and EDGE depth? If we would get someone on such a contract, Id prob rather pay Mathieu about 8-10M a year and draft a WR. Marquise Brown, Parris Campbell and Andy Isabella are players I like respectively.

I think we're projected to have about 40mill in cap space, could be wrong. A top end slot WR will earn 10+ so 8-10 would be his ballpark. I'd be ok with that, keep in mind I'm pro trying to build a legit threat to contend with the top offenses. KC has a top pass catching TE (only about three of those in the league), a burning WR with near olympian level quickness with Hill and they have a former top WR as their third option in the passing game (Watkins). They are crazy stacked with the probable MVP of the league in Mahomes. If we're trying to build an offensive juggernaut we will need more offensive firepower. As it stands, we would be embarrassed if we played KC.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're projected to have about 40mill in cap space, could be wrong. A top end slot WR will earn 10+ so 8-10 would be his ballpark. I'd be ok with that, keep in mind I'm pro trying to build a legit threat to contend with the top offenses. KC has a top pass catching TE (only about three of those in the league), a burning WR with near olympian level quickness with Hill and they have a former top WR as their third option in the passing game (Watkins). They are crazy stacked with the probable MVP of the league in Mahomes. If we're trying to build an offensive juggernaut we will need more offensive firepower. As it stands, we would be embarrassed if we played KC.
I think you are right on those numbers, however we will need roughly 7m for the rookie draft class and, say, about 8-13m for the retention of our own FA (Allison, Gilbert, Tonyan, Breeland, Wilkerson, McCray and Kumerow come to mind). That would leave us with roughly 20m and in that case i wouldnt like to see half of it spend towards a WR. Id rather see a FS or edge rusher for that money

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are right on those numbers, however we will need roughly 7m for the rookie draft class and, say, about 8-13m for the retention of our own FA (Allison, Gilbert, Tonyan, Breeland, Wilkerson, McCray and Kumerow come to mind). That would leave us with roughly 20m and in that case i wouldnt like to see half of it spend towards a WR. Id rather see a FS or edge rusher for that money

I realize things are cyclical in the NFL and the trend is high powered offenses, but the KC chiefs just made it to the AFC championship and very nearly the Superbowl with a pretty bad defense. We have an offensive minded head coach who probably wants to surround his stud QB with a lot of firepower.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya OTC has us at 40.5 mill under the cap. I'm not sure if the overall cap number is going up or not. Anyway, we'd free up a bit more cash cutting Jimmy Graham, Tramon Williams, Bulaga (almost 17 mill).
As much as I hate having Perry stick around, we only save about 3 mill if we cut him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I realize things are cyclical in the NFL and the trend is high powered offenses, but the KC chiefs just made it to the AFC championship and very nearly the Superbowl with a pretty bad defense. We have an offensive minded head coach who probably wants to surround his stud QB with a lot of firepower.

They were literally a coin toss away.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you mean "Not really"?

Mahommes scored 24 pts on them Patriots in the 4th quarter and they had figured out the Pat's D.
Doesn’t matter. All they had to do was line up onsides and they win. They didn’t. Give the Patriots an opening and they don’t waste it.

Anyway, knowing the history, it’s as likely the Patriots figure out a way to get a crucial stop and win anyway. The game was right there for KC to win and they couldn’t. They set the precedent they couldn’t get it done. I wouldn’t bet on them winning because of a coin flip

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter. All they had to do was line up onsides and they win. They didn’t. Give the Patriots an opening and they don’t waste it.

Anyway, knowing the history, it’s as likely the Patriots figure out a way to get a crucial stop and win anyway. The game was right there for KC to win and they couldn’t. They set the precedent they couldn’t get it done. I wouldn’t bet on them winning because of a coin flip

Ah, I see what your saying now. Yeah, I lived there for awhile because my wife has family there and they are perennial chockers. Good loyal fanbase though and I felt kind of bad for them. I can't say nearly the same for Seattle.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I felt badly for them too. They had it and then they didn't. They're a good team, and going in I thought they were better than NE, but as this game showed again. NE rarely makes mistakes when it matters and they take advantage of mistakes like none other. They do all the little things they need to do to win. I look at their roster and wonder how they get past round 1 of the playoffs and here they are in another Super Bowl.

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously who knows what would happen but if the Packers win a super bowl in one of those 3 years with brown being a big part of it, was it worth it?

If the Packers win a Super Bowl with Brown significantly contributing to it of course it would have been worth trading the 30th pick for it. There's a possibility the move backfires as well though leaving the Packers with $10+ million spent on a bust.

Ya OTC has us at 40.5 mill under the cap. I'm not sure if the overall cap number is going up or not. Anyway, we'd free up a bit more cash cutting Jimmy Graham, Tramon Williams, Bulaga (almost 17 mill).

The Packers would have to replace Graham and Bulaga adequately as well though.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not sure if the overall cap number is going up or not.
The league announced in December that the salary cap will go up to something in the range of $187.0 - $191.1 million. That's a $10 - $14 million increase over 2018.

That is for informational purposes and in no way an endorsement of a possible Brown trade. I would object to such a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers win a Super Bowl with Brown significantly contributing to it of course it would have been worth trading the 30th pick for it. There's a possibility the move backfires as well though leaving the Packers with $10+ million spent on a bust.

I personally think there's less risk and FAR more upside to wasting that $10+ million on Brown than Graham, Perry, Cobb, etc. Teams regularly waste more than that on players that aren't sure things which is one of the reasons I'm for signing Brown. People seem to think that it's a major risk; at his price tag, with his playing ability, the upside at that price is much bigger than the risk.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally think there's less risk and FAR more upside to wasting that $10+ million on Brown than Graham, Perry, Cobb, etc. Teams regularly waste more than that on players that aren't sure things which is one of the reasons I'm for signing Brown. People seem to think that it's a major risk; at his price tag, with his playing ability, the upside at that price is much bigger than the risk.

I don't think the price tag is a major issue. For a guy with his talent its a bargain. The issue for most is his attitude then his age.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the price tag is a major issue. For a guy with his talent its a bargain. The issue for most is his attitude then his age.

Well obviously there are downsides, otherwise there would be no chance of getting a player with his level of skill at that price. That's why it's a risk, but it's also why the upside to the risk is so high. Without a signing bonus (which the Steelers would eat) there are also no long-term implications for cutting him should he end up being a problem.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the drama of this last week, it's nearly impossible to see the Steelers bringing back Antonio Brown. He's a generational wide receiver, sure Hall of Famer, not particularly young anymore but has not shown much decline yet either, performance-wise.

The late 1st from the Saints isn't enough, but the #12 pick is probably enough to get the Steelers to simply move on at this point, and we'd still have our usual late 1st round pick.

The upside is you would have two elite wide receivers with Aaron Rodgers, creating matchup nightmares and potentially transforming the offense back into an elite unit overnight.

The downside would be having a distraction on the team if Brown has a hard time sharing the WR spotlight, which seems to have been an issue for him with Smith-Schuster this year.

Would you do it?
Hey Adam no I wouldn’t trade the #12 pick for Brown. Yeah, he’s a freakish talent. I know everyone has been clamoring for edge rushers. I think they should pick an OL at #12, assuming someone is available who can start NOW and shore up the right side of the line. The draft is deep in pass rushers, so take one at 32 (or trade up), and take a TE with #3. Or resign Jared Cook.

Anyway to get back to your question, Brown Won’t fit in GB, and they have too many other needs.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well obviously there are downsides, otherwise there would be no chance of getting a player with his level of skill at that price. That's why it's a risk, but it's also why the upside to the risk is so high. Without a signing bonus (which the Steelers would eat) there are also no long-term implications for cutting him should he end up being a problem.
I agree with you guys on one hand. A team would be nuts NOT to want Brown. But with the right side of the O line a shambles, that has to be the priority and they should get a starter at #12. Save edge rusher for #32. First order of business, protect Rodgers. That’s why the Saints, err I mean the Rams and the Pats are in the SB. They spend and develop on the line. Brees is 40 and Brady is 41. Neither of them will outrun a DL or OLB, and yet they are consistently successful. That’s a decent formula.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 12th overall pick for a 31 year old, expensive malcontent? That's absurd.
Well, that puts things in perspective. He’s 31? He’s about to become the next Dez Bryant. Pass.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey GNG, could Watkins be converted to play TE? Not as a blocker, but as a guy to move the ball between the 20s. Don’t ask me how I came up with this. He just looks like a pretty sizable guy.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey GNG, could Watkins be converted to play TE? Not as a blocker, but as a guy to move the ball between the 20s. Don’t ask me how I came up with this. He just looks like a pretty sizable guy.

He's big, but he's a WR, and a very good one when healthy.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's big, but he's a WR, and a very good one when healthy.

Sammy Watkins is only 6'1" 205 lbs. Not really anything close to TE size.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are already 2 converted WR-to-TE's on the roster in Tonyan & Lazard... don't need more, IMHO. Rounds 2-4 will hopefully get a guy capable of both receiving AND blocking to play all downs. First 2 picks should be OLB & OL, and then maybe even a S 3rd pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Brown officially asks the Steelers to trade/cut him today. He has made it clear that he would like to be a 49'er.

His attitude or things like this won't help the Steelers maximize his trade value:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25979972/steelers-antonio-brown-found-guilty-reckless-driving

While the remaining 3 years on his contract are what I would call a potentially great deal for a team, it wouldn't surprise me if he tries to renegotiate that with whoever he is traded to.

Still don't like the guys attitude nor would I want to give up a 1st rounder for him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It would be such a game changer getting him. Our offense immediately goes to top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.