Brazil Pre-Game Thoughts

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
4/5 of the Eagles OL weigh over 325lbs+ with 3/5 weighing 335+ pounds. They use their size to propel their Run game. Last meeting was 2 seasons ago and the Packers were in a lighter 3-4 Alignment. The Packers starting OLB, Rashan Gary was out. Rookie, Kingsley Enagbare was thrust into in his place with Hollins filling in rotation. McDuffie was in his 2nd season (1st season in live action). Devonte Wyatt was a Rookie with limited playing time. TI Slaton was in his 2nd year also. Behind him was Rookie Quay Walker.

Since this GB has invested multiple selections into the fray, including Lukas Van Ness, Karl Brooks, Colby Wooden.

Behind the front guys, GB invested in a more aggressive dynamic Safeties to replace the oft injured and tender Savage who injured in a whiff tackle on Hurts on the very first series hurting his foot. Adrian Amos was having a down 2022 and was the only Safety playing with significant experience or tenure. Hes been replaced with a much more dynamic Safety and likely the best up n coming FA Safety money could buy. Bullard or Williams round out our Safety choices over our previous depth. Each are much better at defending the Run than a tender Savage or his replacement.

The Packers Defense was on the Road in Philly and dinged up, missing our best Pass Rusher (Gary) starting Safety (Savage) starting LB (Campbell)
Playing primarily the Pass, against a Heavy
EQ Run Offensive Set. Philly smelled it immediately and designed QB runs up the middle repeatedly, sniffing blood from the opening minutes.

Right now GB has every last player at their disposal. Exactly 53 players reported to the last practice which is unheard of. Rashan Gary is not only back, he’s playing on fire lately. Enagbare is no longer our starter, he’s one of several rotational players. Wyatt is now ascending into his 3rd season after rising last year (4.5 sacks)TJ is also NOT a 1st year starter, he’s a 3rd year Starter that’s been ascending. Colby and Karl are solid depth Sophomores. Plus, no more playing our heels, our LB’s and DB’s are all more downhill athletes in a downhill system which promotes heavier boxes and uses more LB’s who can also cover or rush the Passer.

Also, Jason Kelce is no more. Philly lost a 6-time All Pro Center and he’s being replaced by a 1st year Starting Center in Jurgens, who played RG when he wasn’t injured last year. Nobody can tell me this Eagles OL is better or even the same. GB will have opportunities to exploit Center and will be more physical upfront. The Eagles will need another early gift INT at the Packers Redzone to jump start. If not, it’s going to be a long day for Philly in a neutral setting.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best thing to watch the game (or any sporting event) is buy a fire stick and “do some things to it) then you should be able to download a custom build and then have access to everything including UFC fights football baseball basketball even some of the more obscure European/Asian sports.

I live out in the country, so no cable wires and I refused to have a satellite dish that will not work in inclement weather so I’ve used my fire stick for the last six years and never missed a game that was on cable or otherwise.
Best investment I ever made.
Yup! You just gotta be creative. That Fire Stick will work in any TV, and you can enjoy it all and not pay an arm and a leg.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Both teams are traveling 13,000 miles to play in smoke-filled air. The NFL under Goodell is shameless. That said, this game reminds me of the 2021 opener in Jacksonville. The Packers didn't play their starters that pre-season and are traveling to a hot, humid environment. MLF doesn't know how to prepare for long road trips so expect a flat, sloppy, confused team. I wouldn't overreact to it. The Packers still finished 13-3 that season. The main thing about this game is to get back to Green Bay in one piece. The outcome is secondary.
I don't know off the top of my head, but it seems generally MLF led teams have always struggled in week one. I know they beat the bears to start a couple of his seasons. Got whooped by the Saints a different year and ended 31-3. Maybe I'm wrong, but starting out slow seems to be the case.

Krabs

Reaction score
4/5 of the Eagles OL weigh over 325lbs+ with 3/5 weighing 335+ pounds. They use their size to propel their Run game. Last meeting was 2 seasons ago and the Packers were in a lighter 3-4 Alignment. The Packers starting OLB, Rashan Gary was out. Rookie, Kingsley Enagbare was thrust into in his place with Hollins filling in rotation. McDuffie was in his 2nd season (1st season in live action). Devonte Wyatt was a Rookie with limited playing time. TI Slaton was in his 2nd year also. Behind him was Rookie Quay Walker.
Basically the same team, but more experience.
Since this GB has invested multiple selections into the fray, including Lukas Van Ness, Karl Brooks, Colby Wooden.
Agreed on Van Ness. He should help. I like Brooks and Wooden for depth for sure, but they're not all pros. Just solid backups.
Behind the front guys, GB invested in a more aggressive dynamic Safeties to replace the oft injured and tender Savage who injured in a whiff tackle on Hurts on the very first series hurting his foot. Adrian Amos was having a down 2022 and was the only Safety playing with significant experience or tenure. Hes been replaced with a much more dynamic Safety and likely the best up n coming FA Safety money could buy. Bullard or Williams round out our Safety choices over our previous depth. Each are much better at defending the Run than a tender Savage or his replacement.
We don't know anything about our rookie safeties beyond college and preseason. Still question marks in my mind. I guess to your point, it can't be worse than Savage.
The Packers Defense was on the Road in Philly and dinged up, missing our best Pass Rusher (Gary) starting Safety (Savage) starting LB (Campbell)
EQ Run Offensive Set. Philly smelled it immediately and designed QB runs up the middle repeatedly, sniffing blood from the opening minutes.
I still think they can do this. Gary is good and a solid starter. It will be good to have him in this game. He still doesn't have much beyond a great bull rushing move. He can over pursue at times because of it and that fits into the Eagles run game. I'm not a big believer in McDuffie on the inside. I thought Cooper would beat him out for sure. Honestly, I don't see a lot of difference from 2022 to 2024 beyond some experience. Player personnel isn't much different beyond Gary being healthy. As mentioned, McKinney at safety with Bullard as a rookie. It is all still question marks to me.
Right now GB has every last player at their disposal. Exactly 53 players reported to the last practice which is unheard of. Rashan Gary is not only back, he’s playing on fire lately. Enagbare is no longer our starter, he’s one of several rotational players. Wyatt is now ascending into his 3rd season after rising last year (4.5 sacks)TJ is also NOT a 1st year starter, he’s a 3rd year Starter that’s been ascending. Colby and Karl are solid depth Sophomores. Plus, no more playing our heels, our LB’s and DB’s are all more downhill athletes in a downhill system which promotes heavier boxes and uses more LB’s who can also cover or rush the Passer.
Agreed on all of this. This is the positive viewpoint on things. I still think their run game can hurt us. Really hoping they have finally shored that up.
Also, Jason Kelce is no more. Philly lost a 6-time All Pro Center and he’s being replaced by a 1st year Starting Center in Jurgens, who played RG when he wasn’t injured last year. Nobody can tell me this Eagles OL is better or even the same. GB will have opportunities to exploit Center and will be more physical upfront. The Eagles will need another early gift INT at the Packers Redzone to jump start. If not, it’s going to be a long day for Philly in a neutral setting.
I agree it is not the same offensive line they faced. They had better be ready though because it is still one of the better lines in the league. If I were Philly, I would still pound the rock until the Pack prove they can stop it.

Totally don't mean to be a Debbie Downer. I just think Philly is better than people think. They started out 12-1 last year and crapped the bed down the stretch. It's going to be a tough game. Overall, I agree that the Packers are in a much better spot than 2022.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I don't know off the top of my head, but it seems generally MLF led teams have always struggled in week one. I know they beat the bears to start a couple of his seasons. Got whooped by the Saints a different year and ended 31-3. Maybe I'm wrong, but starting out slow seems to be the case.
That is absolutely true. However as #12 and his crew aged, they gradually took more veteran rest. They had more allowances to show up later and ease into the fray.
In 2024 we have a QB fully invested in offseason, OTA’s camps. It will be interesting to see if they are primed a little better. Also, it just feels like our D has several upgrades and a little better depth. Certainly a more dynamic ceiling through the ranks

We still have to apply it all. What we have on paper means zippo if we don’t show up to play.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I think an interesting dynamic on this contest will be Saquon VS Josh. Here we have basically 2 of the leagues top RB’s competing. Very similar Backs even down to both having an “off” year recently (<4 per carry etc).

This RB competition could be a bigger storyline. It’s likely that the RB Room with the bigger day could decide this game. Last contest it was a gashing with like 7+ per carry by Philly. I think that’s highly unlikely it’s anywhere along that line. Likely a more moderate scoring contest.
GB 28 Eagles 27 or Eagles 27 GB 24 something like that. I’m anxious to see how we employ this new D look.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I still think not playing many of your starters during preseason factors into the slow starts that we see from the Packers and other teams. The only good news for the Packers, seems most teams are now following that same protocol and sitting theirs too. Which basically means the first few weeks in the NFL is now the "preseason" for the starters. :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unless the stadium burns down, no way the NFL moves the game. Moving it would imply it was a bad idea and, like politicians, the NFL will never admit they were wrong.
I think both teams head to Brazil today, so once those Jets are in the air, there's no turning back. As you said, would take a catastrophe (new one) to cancel the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Nice to see Devon White won't play. He's been tough on The Pack

It's Devin, but Tomato, Tomatoe.

I love White, had hoped the Packers might sign him in Free Agency. I think the Eagles got an absolute steal on him at $5M for 1 year. Not quite the $20M/year that it was reported that he wanted from the Bucs.

Glad to hear he won't be playing Friday night.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I'm not a big believer in McDuffie on the inside. I thought Cooper would beat him out for sure.
I feel ya on that. He’s an experienced Good backup imo.
I don't see a lot of difference from 2022 to 2024 beyond some experience. Player personnel isn't much different beyond Gary being healthy.
2 years of added experience is everything. Also I think you’re forgetting we spent a Day1 selection on LVN. Year 2 is where we start to unleash them a little more.
McKinney > Amos
Really a full letter grade better.

Bullard is > Savage. At least he has been so far in Camp.
Savage for me played like a good 4/5th Round selection. He wasn’t horrible, but he played scared. He never lived up to his Day1 grade and really not anywhere close to it.

We’re probably more similar at Corner. But Safety has been upgraded in a BIG way. DL has also. We have 3 more iDL in the mix over 2022. Lowry was very average for me. Serviceable would be how I’d label him.
As mentioned, McKinney at safety with Bullard as a rookie. It is all still question marks to me.
There’s absolutely no basis for Xavier being a ?
Our Staff wouldn’t have signed him to a large 4yr deal if they thought he was ?
He’s got 4yrs of film

Listen. I get the reservation. We’ve watched more than a decade of substandard Defenses. However last year we finished 9th in scoring as a relatively young unit. We’ve now injected multiple Safeties and LB’s in the mix and got another year of experience for the youngsters. Plus signed a Premier Safety. It’s more a matter of how fast will they assimilate. I’m hoping for that OSU Defensive effort that Hafley (Co DC) put out there in 2019. It was nothing short of impressive. Defensively Ranked
#4 in points
#8 Rush D
#1 Pass 1st Downs
#23 Turnovers
#4 Passing %

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

2 years of added experience is everything. Also I think you’re forgetting we spent a Day1 selection on LVN. Year 2 is where we start to unleash them a little more.
McKinney > Amos

Savage for me played like a good 4/5th Round selection. He wasn’t horrible, but he played scared. He never lived up to his Day1 grade and really not anywhere close to it.

We’re probably more similar at Corner. But Safety has been upgraded in a BIG way. DL has also. We have 3 more iDL in the mix over 2022. Lowry was very average for me. Serviceable would be how I’d label him.

He’s got 4yrs of film
I am also hoping that:

Jeff Hafley> Joe Barry

I hope that is the case for the Packers sake, as well as mine. Honestly, I'm tired of posting in the "Fire (Fill in Name of DC Here)" thread.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't think you can take away much from this game good or bad. Since the starters barely played in the pre-season, they will be rusty. I expect the tackling to be atrocious since that's dependent on repetition. In other years when MLF rested his starters in the pre-season, week #1 looked a lot like a pre-season game. I'd love to see the Packers play well and come out with a win but won't get too excited if they stink it up.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a guess on my part, but I have a hunch it could take 28 points to win this thing. The team that plays enough defense to hold the opposition under that should have it in the bag.

I may be putting too much emphasis on the offenses, but I think that's going to be the deciding factor.

I'm picking the Pack at 27-24, but it was a tough choice. I'm anxious to see Hafely's defense using it's entire playbook, along with the offense the Packers will have with the experience they've gained in skill players from last year.

Just my guess.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least they don't have to swim in the seine.

McKinney > Amos

He’s got 4yrs of film

Listen. I get the reservation. We’ve watched more than a decade of substandard Defenses. However last year we finished 9th in scoring as a relatively young unit. We’ve now injected multiple Safeties and LB’s in the mix and got another year of experience for the youngsters. Plus signed a Premier Safety. It’s more a matter of how fast will they assimilate. I’m hoping for that OSU Defensive effort that Hafley (Co DC) put out there in 2019. It was nothing short of impressive. Defensively Ranked
#4 in points
#8 Rush D
#1 Pass 1st Downs
#23 Turnovers
#4 Passing %
brings up an interesting point. Do you look more at a coaches track record as a DC or as a HC. In this case Haffley looked co great at OSU but I don't think the BC Eagles were a defensive juggernaut. In fact that is one of the biggest knocks on him is that the Eagles were not a great defensive team. However, as HC how much control did he have over the defense. I mean yes, he is the boss in the end but how much does the boss actually step in and take control of a unit.

We all know coordinators on both sides of the ball who were great at their jobs, failed as a HC and went back to being great coordinators. In this case I'm not saying Haffley was great at either position but I think to blame the defensive woes on the HC is a bit presumptuous..

All I know is I am very excited to see what this unit can do. We have the players if draft position is any indicator. We have a whole new philosophy on that side of the ball or at least we have been told we have a whole new philosophy. Lastly, and this is a bit of a cop out, how can he be any worse?

As excited as I am about the offensive potential in Love, Reed, Watson, Doubs, Wicks, Jacobs, Kraft and Musgrave I think this will be a top 10 unit. That alone should be enough to keep us in contention. I think it is the defense that will be the difference maker as to if we are true contenders or not. If they play like I hope and think they can we are without a doubt a serious NFCC game contender.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I am also hoping that:

Jeff Hafley> Joe Barry

I hope that is the case for the Packers sake, as well as mine. Honestly, I'm tired of posting in the "Fire (Fill in Name of DC Here)" thread.
I honestly don’t think it would be incredibly difficult to top Joe Barry. That goes for Mike Pettine also. I don’t think either are terrible either. However middle of the Road DC’s produce middling Defenses. Hard to win a Championship with that.

I’ve always said if the past SB winning teams have averaged a Top ~7 area Defenses and top ~8 area Offenses (as of my research about 5 years ago) then common sense would tell you the farther back from those marks the harder it is to Win (15 being the total ranking) If we rank 9th in scoring.. our Offense needs to be 6th or better to pick up slack. Get me a top 5-6 Defense and our chances become really good that our Offense can be top 10 or whatever.

We don’t need both phases to perform top 3. We need balance, leaning Defense. Get that Defense that cracks the top 5.. maybe top 6-8 at worst and this Offense would flourish. We could rely on our Run game and play keep away and ground n pound. Tampa in 2020 had good balance. Some games they won with their Offense and others with their Defense. They weren’t dominant, but they were stingy and rose to the occasion when necessary.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about Wilson at linebacker than McDuffie. Maybe we will see Cooper for Wilson before the end of the game. We may even see Hopper. But I think McDuffie will play well. I do believe it is the offense that is going to win the games. I'm glad to see that LaFleur likes to keep the pedal to the metal.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I just don't think you can take away much from this game good or bad. Since the starters barely played in the pre-season, they will be rusty. I expect the tackling to be atrocious since that's dependent on repetition. In other years when MLF rested his starters in the pre-season, week #1 looked a lot like a pre-season game. I'd love to see the Packers play well and come out with a win but won't get too excited if they stink it up.
I too expect to see some uneven play from both teams. It's a tossup to me with the team with least turnovers winning.

Krabs

Reaction score

McKinney > Amos
I mentioned this. We are on the same page. Van Ness should help. McKinney is a clear upgrade. Experience should help. Agreed on all.
Bullard just has to prove it. I think it is an upgrade, but still an obvious question mark.
I'm very happy to never have to udder the name Lowry again. I watched him get pushed around for too many seasons.
I meant the rookie corners. Xavier is a clear upgrade.
He’s got 4yrs of film

#4 in points
#8 Rush D
#1 Pass 1st Downs
#23 Turnovers
#4 Passing %
Yep, I've been burned too many times going into seasons thinking we had a defense only to watch us get pushed around like chumps. The defense seemingly is always paper champs in the offseason. I'm good where my mentality is at with this defense. I'm cautiously optimistic. With the defense, I'm in prove it mode.

Krabs

Reaction score
At least they don't have to swim in the seine.

brings up an interesting point. Do you look more at a coaches track record as a DC or as a HC. In this case Haffley looked co great at OSU but I don't think the BC Eagles were a defensive juggernaut. In fact that is one of the biggest knocks on him is that the Eagles were not a great defensive team. However, as HC how much control did he have over the defense. I mean yes, he is the boss in the end but how much does the boss actually step in and take control of a unit.
He said as much when he was hired. That being a college head coach meant that you were not coaching. He told a story where he spent and entire day on a plane landing in two different cities to recruit players. Being a head coach meant recruiting and raising money. Going to the Packers meant he got to coach again.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just heard from Mina Kimes that the Packers' offense ranked first in EPA on throws 0-10 yards downfield over the entire 2023 season (not just the latter half when Love took off). The Eagles ranked 32nd in EPA defending passes 0-10 yards downfield and now that they're missing a starting linebacker (and not particularly strong at linebacker to begin with) the Packers' offense should be able to feast over the middle of the field. I expect Musgrave, Doubs, and Reed to be carve up the middle of the Eagles defense. Which is good because I'm REALLY concerned about the Packer's being able to contain Barkley or Hurts on the ground while also defending against DeVonta Smith (I think Jaire can lock up Brown but I'm not sure what Stokes is going to look like against Smith). I think it's going to be a shootout and I think the Packers win because Hurts can be pressured into making some mistakes.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They use that scrum in short yardage situations. It was a wonder how the Eagles folded last season. Their defense became lost late season. Fangio sticks with his plan and will not veer from it. Hurts has to use the middle of the field more when the running game gets stalled. The Bucs embarrassed them.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Basically the same team, but more experience.
We are definitely not the same D we were in 2022 at Philly.

We don’t even have half of those guys on our team anymore

In 2022 it was (Rookie) Quay Walker, Krys Barnes, Young McDuff, Ty Summers, Tariq Carpenter
Then Preston, Enagbare starting with Justin Hollins, Jonathan Garvin, Tipa Galeai

In 2024 we have (3rd year) Walker, Edgerrin Cooper, Eric Wilson, Pat McDuffie, Tyron Hopper.
Outside DE, we have Preston and Gary starting, with Enagbare, Brenton Cox Jr and Lukas Van Ness backing it up.

Our Safety Room is completely different than 2022. Arguably also upgraded. As far as saying they are unproven? We could really almost say that about 2022 Amos/Savage. Neither were playing very good football at that stage.

I don’t see how that’s the same as 2022. Maybe you can explain that. Krabs they don’t need to all be All Pros as you suggested. They just need to be better (upgrades) than the guy they replaced.

Do you look more at a coaches track record as a DC or as a HC. In this case Haffley looked co great at OSU but I don't think the BC Eagles were a defensive juggernaut. In fact that is one of the biggest knocks on him is that the Eagles were not a great defensive team.
I think you already alluded to its not a College HC job to play DC. They are really more acting like GM’s than Coaches once NIL started.

Last edited: