Anders Carlson

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll summarize in a very high level so mods and others hopefully don't have to get riled up.

Long story short Captain had a very hard time with listening when asked to stop, and at times struggled mightedly with civil discourse.

The patience and line given by moderators eventually wore too thin and there was no more line to give.
He had years of walking the line

Reaction score
Captain and I had a really good working relationship/friendship for years. We used to chat quite a bit in private and even talked about meeting up at a Packer game. Something changed with him in his final year here and it might have been me too, so I will own that.

The Mods had a lot to handle during that time period and I think they overall did well with a difficult situation.
I thought about Captain just the other day because I wondered what he thought of Love after all the constant disparaging. Not meaning it in a mean way, but that’s just accurate on what he did and he was really good at it. In a persistent way.

I wish him well. I won’t say I miss him past that, and honestly it’s much calmer in here in general. The level of bickering in here has dropped by 50%+. Just my opinion.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to stop calling this whole forum as "lazy."
Not gonna happen. I understand some comments are very long, but if a sentence is highlighted within a comment, it's possible to see context. Not everyone does it, don't exaggerate. Regardless, it's a lazy practice.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought about Captain just the other day because I wondered what he thought of Love after all the constant disparaging. Not meaning it in a mean way, but that’s just accurate on what he did and he was really good at it. In a persistent way.

I wish him well. I won’t say I miss him past that, and honestly it’s much calmer in here in general. The level of bickering in here has dropped by 50%+. Just my opinion.
That's well said. I admit to taking his bait and getting into it with him, as did a number of other people. It is calmer in here for the most part. None of us should be shy about calling out someone for BS, I just did it. But it seems more respectable in here.

CW was just a person who liked to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Too bad because he otherwise had a lot to add. It happens and some commenters seem to like being disagreeable. Rather than engaging them, ignoring is then the best practice. It can be hard and I'm a long way from perfect in this regard.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's well said. I admit to taking his bait and getting into it with him, as did a number of other people. It is calmer in here for the most part. None of us should be shy about calling out someone for BS, I just did it. But it seems more respectable in here.

CW was just a person who liked to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Too bad because he otherwise had a lot to add. It happens and some commenters seem to like being disagreeable. Rather than engaging them, ignoring is then the best practice. It can be hard and I'm a long way from perfect in this regard.
Capt Wimm was a much bigger Rodgers fan than a Packer fan.

But he did finally come around on Jordan Love. He sent an email to me and said: "I'm completely surprised about how well the offense has played for the most part this season, especially as of late. Love definitely looks like a franchise QB and has been that impressive that I feel the need to apologize to Gutekunst for stuff I posted about his selection."

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But he did finally come around on Jordan Love. He sent an email to me and said: "I'm completely surprised about how well the offense has played for the most part this season, especially as of late. Love definitely looks like a franchise QB and has been that impressive that I feel the need to apologize to Gutekunst for stuff I posted about his selection."
Yes, he could definitely change his mind on who was "elite" based on a new set of stats.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Interesting comment on CW's take on Rodgers. Can't blame him for that. And really, until Rodgers started taking hallucinogenics, lying about being vaccinated, and just generally being weird, he was a terrific QB, certainly one of the best I've ever seen. I'm certainly glad he was a Packer.

Maybe that's why CW had so much trouble with Love, although in that regard, he was in good company.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Carlson has just about worn out his welcome. Even though he made his kicks yesterday in ideal weather conditions, he almost shaved the uprights. No consistency with him. One time he's wide right and the next time he's wide left or barely sneaks it around an upright. He just doesn't seem to be showing much improvement over a poor rookie season. Joseph isn't Justin Tucker, but he has made some big kicks in his career. Problem with him is his accuracy goes down on grass, especially late season. The kicking situation isn't good.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Carlson has just about worn out his welcome. Even though he made his kicks yesterday in ideal weather conditions, he almost shaved the uprights. No consistency with him. One time he's wide right and the next time he's wide left or barely sneaks it around an upright. He just doesn't seem to be showing much improvement over a poor rookie season. Joseph isn't Justin Tucker, but he has made some big kicks in his career. Problem with him is his accuracy goes down on grass, especially late season. The kicking situation isn't good.
I noticed Carlson's kicks too. Rarely does he seem to make it right down the middle. That isn't a good sign IMO.

I didn't take any notes on kickoffs by Carlson or Joseph, mainly because I couldn't tell from the TV coverage, who was actually kicking off. That might have a big impact on who the Packers ultimately keep. I haven't decided what the best strategy yet with the new rules, but I would think you want a guy that can consistently line drive kicks, that land away from the returner, just outside of the endzone, since if it bounces into the EZ, it has to be returned or downed (team gets ball at the 20).

The NFL "stole" this new kickoff procedure from the XFL. This season, the XFL had a 97% return rate compared to the NFL's 22% last season with the traditional kickoff. So there is a lot of strategy in play here, with both the kick and who is covering it.

Reaction score
I don’t think either Kicker is necessarily bad. I just don’t think either are at or past Crosby reliability. Crosby was near perfect in many seasons on XPA. The only knock might’ve been he’d have an off game 1X every other season etc. I never worried in the least when inside of 40 yards and he pushed one in from 54.5 yards late in his career. Crosby wasn’t going to hit from 59, but he was above average inside of <=50 and average between 50-54 yards.

Crosby would’ve benefited from dropping it in that new zone also. He was the Master of dropping a KO at the 5 yard line. That was his knock, but now it would totally eliminate that argument. You really don’t want to Kick it into the paint or beyond anymore.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Captain was a big part of this forum. Very knowledgeable and definitely not lazy. He clearly took the time to do accurate research. His insights were great.

Did I ever argue with him? Yes about Packers football but never on a personal level. Which I believe is the point of this forum. Talking Packers...

Super excited for the season! That ball to Wicks is gonna be on repeat all year long

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think either Kicker is necessarily bad. I just don’t think either are at or past Crosby reliability. Crosby was near perfect in many seasons on XPA.

Carlson has already had a better start to his career than Crosby. Whats to say he doesnt continue that? Additionally extra points were significantly closer when Crosby was kicking in Green Bay

Reaction score
Captain was a big part of this forum. Very knowledgeable and definitely not lazy. He clearly took the time to do accurate research. His insights were great.

Did I ever argue with him? Yes about Packers football but never on a personal level. Which I believe is the point of this forum. Talking Packers...

Super excited for the season! That ball to Wicks is gonna be on repeat all year long
Yes it is the point of the forum…WHEN done in a respectful manner. There’s a reason he’s not here. As an example, I’m not the one who made that decision. I never once complained nor blocked him or even reported him etc. Yet he’s gone and I can see why.
When left unattended that behavior almost always escalates into abnormal amount of contentious behavior. When multiple folks take issue it’s no longer a peaceful place to debate. I support that decision because I lived it. I have no ill feelings towards CW so I’m a strange breed. Just because I state a fact does not imply I condemn him altogether. . I wish him the best but these forums have no place for contentious level behavior.

Ive discussed many topics at length with CW in an intelligent fashion. Sometimes they got heated, so it didn’t shock me one bit when he got suspended. I do wonder if Cap would condone keeping Carlson. I doubt it, but just my guess.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah thats fair, I'm sure I could of missed a lot of things on here. I was just saying I never personally found him to be out of line towards me

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember this "captain", maybe he was before my time. But in a way, I know exactly who you're talking about, because I've run into a lot of those over the yers, and yeah - it only takes one of them to drag the whole board down into the mud.

There's another Packer board out there that I don't think anyone here is on, and I don't even participate with anymore. I've been there about 12 yearas, IFRC. It's got just one guy on there (a retired drill sergeanrt, I thnk) who only wants to fight people who disagree with him, on basically any single thing. No matter what the topic, there's never any "well, I think I'm right, but maybe I'm not, so I guess we just disagree". It's simply, "if you disagree with me, you're a despicable idiot", and then he attacks and insults the other poster viciously and relentlessly. From the sound of it, it's much worse than the captain guy, but still follows the same pattern.

It's completely shaped the entire tone of the board. It doesn't matter what the topic is; if you disagree with him about trading Rodgers, or whether the salary cap is a real thing that teams have to take into consideration when signing contracts, you're a moron - and a dozen other things that are probably worse. He doesn't even try to hide it, he just freely admits that all he wants to do is to fight people who disagree with him.

Abd the thing is, there are some really good people there, and very knowledgable football fans. You can learn a hell of lot from that group of people. But there's this rain cloud hangiong over every conversation, because every single step someoe takes, you never know if you're about to take a bullet from a sniper and sudeenly find yourself in a fire fight. Nobody can relax, or feel comfortable with people. There's just no fun there. Every single thing is going to be a fight, or at least some sort of insult.

And it's really just that one guy who's been the driving force behind that.

It's one of the things I really like about this board. People here value behaving like grownups (or at least, the Packer fans do). We may disagree, but we all understand that there are plenty of other places for us to fight if we like, and this is not the right board for that. People here show respect for people who disagree with them.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember this "captain", maybe he was before my time. But in a way, I know exactly who you're talking about, because I've run into a lot of those over the yers, and yeah - it only takes one of them to drag the whole board down into the mud.

There's another Packer board out there that I don't think anyone here is on, and I don't even participate with anymore. I've been there about 12 yearas, IFRC. It's got just one guy on there (a retired drill sergeanrt, I thnk) who only wants to fight people who disagree with him, on basically any single thing. No matter what the topic, there's never any "well, I think I'm right, but maybe I'm not, so I guess we just disagree". It's simply, "if you disagree with me, you're a despicable idiot", and then he attacks and insults the other poster viciously and relentlessly. From the sound of it, it's much worse than the captain guy, but still follows the same pattern.

It's completely shaped the entire tone of the board. It doesn't matter what the topic is; if you disagree with him about trading Rodgers, or whether the salary cap is a real thing that teams have to take into consideration when signing contracts, you're a moron - and a dozen other things that are probably worse. He doesn't even try to hide it, he just freely admits that all he wants to do is to fight people who disagree with him.

Abd the thing is, there are some really good people there, and very knowledgable football fans. You can learn a hell of lot from that group of people. But there's this rain cloud hangiong over every conversation, because every single step someoe takes, you never know if you're about to take a bullet from a sniper and sudeenly find yourself in a fire fight. Nobody can relax, or feel comfortable with people. There's just no fun there. Every single thing is going to be a fight, or at least some sort of insult.

And it's really just that one guy who's been the driving force behind that.

It's one of the things I really like about this board. People here value behaving like grownups (or at least, the Packer fans do). We may disagree, but we all understand that there are plenty of other places for us to fight if we like, and this is not the right board for that. People here show respect for people who disagree with them.
Well said. I'll use myself as an example. I don't like RB Wilson, or rather, just haven't seen enough of him. A couple of guys don't agree with that. Now I don't think I'm wrong, but that doesn't make them wrong either. And if we all agree with each other all the time, we'll never learn anything and this forum will be a huge bore.

I'm also not perfect, and I'll snap back from time to time. Reliving some of the CW experience, and your comments here, are good reminders to keep it civil.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not gonna happen. I understand some comments are very long, but if a sentence is highlighted within a comment, it's possible to see context. Not everyone does it, don't exaggerate. Regardless, it's a lazy practice.
I guess I failed in my poor attempt at humor.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a tough decision. Joseph appears to be a more confident kicker. His mechanics show a more definitive sense of certainty although like you said most of his games were on turf and not subject to the harsher climate. Carlson has the leg but I believe he presses himself too much and it affects his consistency. As the years went on Crosby became more relaxed. When it was a chip he chipped. When it meant boom he boomed. August FG kicking is a piece of cake. Around the league the kickers were nailing it. If this were December we would know right away which direction to go.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its all fun n games until Carlson misses another short fg to end the season. Then itll become a huge problem.
Actually, Jordan Love ended the season with his game-ending INT if you want to cast stones. There were many mistakes in the game against San Francisco that contributed to the loss, Carlson being one of them.

Besides QB, I think that kicker is the hardest position for a rookie to play because of the intense scrutiny and mental side of kicking. Generally I think that the fan base needs to have patience with this kid. Not every player comes out like CJ Stroud to light up the NFL. Carlson has shown that he has the physical skills to be an elite kicker. Mike Zimmer was short-sighted and cut Carlson's brother, who is now probably the best kicker in the league. With the tremendous upside and kicking pedigree, he deserves a longer leash.

Yeah - he might cost us an important game again but I think that it's worth the gamble. Currently there are no options out there that are significantly better. In the current scenario, then I believe that we should stick with the kid with more potential.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, Jordan Love ended the season with his game-ending INT if you want to cast stones. There were many mistakes in the game against San Francisco that contributed to the loss, Carlson being one of them.

Besides QB, I think that kicker is the hardest position for a rookie to play because of the intense scrutiny and mental side of kicking. Generally I think that the fan base needs to have patience with this kid. Not every player comes out like CJ Stroud to light up the NFL. Carlson has shown that he has the physical skills to be an elite kicker. Mike Zimmer was short-sighted and cut Carlson's brother, who is now probably the best kicker in the league. With the tremendous upside and kicking pedigree, he deserves a longer leash.

Yeah - he might cost us an important game again but I think that it's worth the gamble. Currently there are no options out there that are significantly better. In the current scenario, then I believe that we should stick with the kid with more potential.
Well said and a good summary. And Joseph has only been marginally better. Kicking is tough, not in the physical way that football is tough, but psychologically. These guys sit around and then are asked to perform with about as much pressure as you can imagine.

I'd rather give Carlson a year to figure it out. As you say, he is a physically gifted kicker. He'll learn how to deal with pressure, or he won't. But giving him another year is the right choice.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to organize a coup and vote this guy off the island! ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
i think the owner doesn't mind it all that much, because he's kind of a smart *** himself. But he created a separate forum, called "Everything Else", where people can argue and fight all they want. The theory is, if people have that space to attack one another, they'll get along just fine in the football forum.

That never works. All that happens is people come to hate each other there, and carry their hatred back to the other forums. Snipe at one another and insult one another every chance they get, usually staying just inside the rules, and there's this underlying tone of tension and hostility in every single thread. There's just no fun there anymore. Now the only people left are people who like making smart-*** remarks at other people more than they like being pleasant.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think the owner doesn't mind it all that much, because he's kind of a smart *** himself. But he created a separate forum, called "Everything Else", where people can argue and fight all they want. The theory is, if people have that space to attack one another, they'll get along just fine in the football forum.

That never works. All that happens is people come to hate each other there, and carry their hatred back to the other forums. Snipe at one another and insult one another every chance they get, usually staying just inside the rules, and there's this underlying tone of tension and hostility in every single thread. There's just no fun there anymore. Now the only people left are people who like making smart-*** remarks at other people more than they like being pleasant.
Considering the overall nastiness to civil discourse these days, things are pretty cool on here. There are exceptions, and I'm not beneath mixing it up from time to time, but it's not as bad as when CW held court on here. There are still some who just seem to like to disagree, but it's a very, very small number. CW magically pissed off just about everyone on here. You didn't miss anything.

Members online