2023 Playoffs discussion

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of you guys have been carping about Barry since the day he was hired. GB has the 17th best defense in the league which is not great but given our injuries (which yes do happen to everyone) does not make his dismissal a “slam dunk”.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, the problem with Barry is not his stats. It is that he loses games with his philosophy. And he frustrates the hell out of me when the D gives up 1st down after 1st down and we either need a stop or need the ball. Stats can be so misleading. Not that his are so good.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As always, I still want to make the playoffs. No matter what happens the rest of the way, I can't see any sane way Barry is kept.
Those of us who won't mind losing today say this only because we fear MLF won't can Barry unless things really get bad. Matt should have done this this past offseason and he didn't. Otherwise we all want the Pack to win every time out.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is there to keep the other team from scoring points. Thats the stat. The rest if them are BS

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of sort of but not quite. If defense A has a good ball control offense that does not turn the ball over and give the opponent short fields even if they give up less points than defense B whose offense leads the league in 3 and outs and turnovers does not necessarily mean defense A is better than Defense B. IMO.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the Redskins play the Barry defense on the Jets final drive.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scoreboard watch. Rooting for the Bucs to win their division, eliminating negative tiebreaker scenario for us; Lions over Vikings, falcons to continue to fade, Seahawks to lose, and the Ravens to beat the 49ers. But the 49ers lose and either or or both the Eagles and cowboys win out and the 49ers will need to play their best players and beat the Rams in week 18 to secure home field.
It will be the Rams and Seahawks as the last 2 WCs. They deserve to be in the playoffs. Vikings would have been there but for the loss of Cousins and Jefferson this year. Pack will have to retool the defense in the offseason.

Reaction score
It would not hurt my feelings to lose a close one to the Vikings. Yes it would likely eliminate us from Postseason. We are not a D built for playoffs. That would likely bring about resting some key starters, such as Love and Gary or Kenny and keeping them safe by limiting their snaps. Let’s get a look at the backups such as Clifford, Emanuel Wilson, Wooden etc

7-10 or 8-9 is respectable and gets us likely picking #8-15 area each round. Lots of good players available there. Lots of stabs in the early-mid parts of each round. In the meantime root for Jets and Bills to lose at least 1 more game.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of you guys have been carping about Barry since the day he was hired. GB has the 17th best defense in the league which is not great but given our injuries (which yes do happen to everyone) does not make his dismissal a “slam dunk”.
Maybe in his first couple years here. But this was one of the easier Packer schedules in years. And we played how many 2nd and 3rd string QBs along with some bad offenses? And we are going to face another 2nd or 3rd stringer next week.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Atlanta / Pittsburgh / Raiders losses hurt even more. Giants seem to have our number.
IMO each of those 4 losses hurt the same in the standings. IMO the Giant loss hurt the most emotionally since they had made it to a point that the playoffs were a realistic possibility. IMO.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Ravens can pull this out vs the 49ers * up 33-12 at the moment * it could be huge for week 18 as the 49ers will more than likely need to play to win week 18 vs the Rams. I know we probably dont win out with this JB defense but maybe Love can make it happen.

Reaction score
Purdy just left the game injured after a sack. He’s getting abused by Baltimore. I heard them say he’s had just 2 INT during their 6 game Win streak and it doomed him!!
4 picks today alone

Baltimore is 3-4 1st downs from putting this away. Game. Set. Match
>Ravens beat up on San Fran

Last edited:
Reaction score
Obviously we would have to win these last 2 contests for any meaningful conversation about playoffs.

We need to be rooting for either Rams or Seattle to lose next week. Our best chance is Pittsburg beating Seattle. Seattle losing is a key to a playoff spot OR even advancing to a 6th seed.

I know. You hate to need help. We have to take care of business next week. Lose and go home for the vast majority of scenarios. We must beat the Vikings

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously we would have to win these last 2 contests for any meaningful conversation about playoffs.

We need to be rooting for either Rams or Seattle to lose next week. Our best chance is Pittsburg beating Seattle. Seattle losing is a key to a playoff spot OR even advancing to a 6th seed.

I know. You hate to need help. We have to take care of business next week. Lose and go home for the vast majority of scenarios. We must beat the Vikings
Not sure how we can cover Jefferson, Osborne, Addison, and Hockenson ( If he plays ). Our hope is that we get pressure on their QB and hope he turns the ball over. On the other side we can expect a lot of blitzes. You can now be sure the Lions will be playing hard in WK 18 now that Frisco lost a game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Ravens gave us what we needed last night. The Eagles should win out, which means the 49ers are going to have to play starters against the Rams for the number one seed.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how we can cover Jefferson, Osborne, Addison, and Hockenson ( If he plays ). Our hope is that we get pressure on their QB and hope he turns the ball over. On the other side we can expect a lot of blitzes. You can now be sure the Lions will be playing hard in WK 18 now that Frisco lost a game.
Pass rush has been abysmal the past 3 weeks against inferior o lines. If Carolina can light up the Packers defense for 30, the Vikings will put up 38 to 42 given that the Packers refuse to make changes. Can the offense score 42 next week in a shoot out? I doubt it. They seem to be able to score 20 to 28 readily but more than 30 is a reach. That would indicate a score around 42-28 is likely.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass rush has been abysmal the past 3 weeks against inferior o lines. If Carolina can light up the Packers defense for 30, the Vikings will put up 38 to 42 given that the Packers refuse to make changes. Can the offense score 42 next week in a shoot out? I doubt it. They seem to be able to score 20 to 28 readily but more than 30 is a reach. That would indicate a score around 42-28 is likely.
18 pressures this last game isn't bad honestly...15 the game prior....and 17 before that.

Granted we only had 3 sacks this week, 5 prior and none in NYG game but still.

Barry overall isn't utilizing the defensive roster efficiently....but I don't envision somehow Vikings breaking 40 as they've broken 30 one time all year and GB only has given up more than 30 three times with 34 being highest.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now PFF doesn't have the tables as easily pulled as pro football reference so know these figures are NOT the same classifications as qualifying as a pressure but the league average pressures per game leader according to Pro Football Reference definition is Miami with 10 a game....Green Bay is at 8.33

I believe the biggest difference is PFF includes deemed hurries where Pro Football Reference is sacks and QB hits only or has a much stricter version of what qualifies as a hurry.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now PFF doesn't have the tables as easily pulled as pro football reference so know these figures are NOT the same classifications as qualifying as a pressure but the league average pressures per game leader according to Pro Football Reference definition is Miami with 10 a game....Green Bay is at 8.33

I believe the biggest difference is PFF includes deemed hurries where Pro Football Reference is sacks and QB hits only or has a much stricter version of what qualifies as a hurry.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You can have pressure on the QB but unless the secondary can take advantage of it receivers can still make catches.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can have pressure on the QB but unless the secondary can take advantage of it receivers can still make catches.

Defensive backfield coverage wasn't in the discussion I was responding to.

Pressure and Coverage are very much connected. A poor pass rush unit can have a ton of pressures if your coverage is all pro level and to be fair (but I argue lesser degree) your pass rush unit can make your coverage elevated too.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I want, maybe even more than a playoff spot is for the Packers NOT to finish 3rd in the division. Ideally they win out, finish 2nd and make it in ( not that I expect them to get past round 1) but I would almost rather see them lose out and finish last. Not only would it improve their draft position ( something I don't give a rats behind about) but it would Keep Aaron Rodgers out of GB next year. I DO NOT want to see that circus. It might be the most hyped non-super bowl game ever.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough to beat Favre's first game against the Packers for media hype.
Tough but I think this one would be worse. I think there was a lot more going on with the Packers/Rodgers breakup than the Favre/Packer one. Plus everything seems to be a lot more transparent now. Plus, Rodgers was and is a lot more vocal than Favre was.

Members online

No members online now.