2023 Playoffs discussion

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

5 games left. 2 against current playoff contenders. 2 losses behind the division leader. Holding on to the 7th seed ATM. Now I hope I didn't jinx it by starting this thread but would still be #7 with a loss to the G-men. I would like to catch the Vikings at least to get to the #6 spot for a more favorable 1st round matchup. Right now at #7 we would go to Dallas after their trouncing of the Eagles.
I believe Dallas will win the division and Philly will be the #5 seed. I believe #6 and #7 will be Seattle and Minnesota respectively.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe #6 and #7 will be Seattle and Minnesota respectively.

My initial reaction is to boo you, but if they just miss the playoffs, not all bad. Better draft pick, probably a Hard Knocks appearance and possible visit to Lambeau of the Jets/Rodgers. (Assuming Packers/Jets are each in 3rd). Going to be a lot of excitement build up to 2024 in that case.

Give me the 2 options, much rather have the playoffs though.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My initial reaction is to boo you, but if they just miss the playoffs, not all bad. Better draft pick, probably a Hard Knocks appearance and possible visit to Lambeau of the Jets/Rodgers. (Assuming Packers/Jets are each in 3rd). Going to be a lot of excitement build up to 2024 in that case.

Give me the 2 options, much rather have the playoffs though.
I believe the difference is the experience both on the field and on the sideline. Pete Carroll has the experience to get his team there. The Vikings even without Cousins have a better roster than we do. The team that scored 63 points last night was shutout 4 days earlier at home by the Vikings. NFC is not very deep this year. Frisco and Dallas are the 2 who will view for the SB. The AFC is not so deep either.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team that showed up against NY would run the table in a negative sense and finish the season with a 5 game losing streak in last place. Giving up over 200 yards rushing is a recipe for disaster every time. MLF needs to make sure that doesn't happen or he will look as clueless as Brandon Staley did on Thursday night as he watched the Chargers implode in all 3 facets of the game. The playoffs are within reach. So is dead last with an ugly 6-11record. I think the talent level on the team greatly exceeds the coaching. Some of the players need to step it up and provide the leadership if the playoffs are to be more than a pipe dream by naive fans.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team is way too young and has very little in the way of veteran leadership. Bahk was a veteran. But he is gone. Kenny Clark is a young veteran. Usually in all pro sports teams that are very young try to acquire a veteran somewhere just to mentor the youth. We have not done that this season.
The team that showed up against NY would run the table in a negative sense and finish the season with a 5 game losing streak in last place. Giving up over 200 yards rushing is a recipe for disaster every time. MLF needs to make sure that doesn't happen or he will look as clueless as Brandon Staley did on Thursday night as he watched the Chargers implode in all 3 facets of the game. The playoffs are within reach. So is dead last with an ugly 6-11record. I think the talent level on the team greatly exceeds the coaching. Some of the players need to step it up and provide the leadership if the playoffs are to be more than a pipe dream by naive fans.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't really have playoff expectations, but at this time in the season....if we don't make it, it will be a huge disappointment.

We are probably the best wildcard NFC team despite Vikings being a game up. Would be a shame if we threw it all away now.
By definition, Eagles are far and away the best WC team. I think the Rams are the best of the rest now that Stafford is back. Everyone else is on "any given Sunday" and there are enough games between the so-so teams that someone will get the 6 & 7 seeds.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By definition, Eagles are far and away the best WC team. I think the Rams are the best of the rest now that Stafford is back. Everyone else is on "any given Sunday" and there are enough games between the so-so teams that someone will get the 6 & 7 seeds.
I 100% agree that someone will get the 6 & 7 seeds.

Reaction score
What we’ve got is a team who can beat nearly any team or lose to nearly any team depending. With so many new players you just don’t know what you’ll get.

We do know what’s most important. We have a QB to build around and excessively young players surrounding him. The stage is set for player performances that will give us insight into who’s who in risers or fallers for 2024. Make no mistake, we’re not in a SB caliber position, but we do have the ability to cause problems in the NFC because there’s really only 2-3 teams I see that are firmly better and none are on our remaining regular season schedule. Everyone else is a rollercoaster performance.

We’ve been given another shot at that #6 seed opportunity and our best chance is Sunday. Get this Win so we can get these young guys some playoff experience. This will come in handy for next year. Also get through the game healthy is key. I see the tide turning towards health inside the next couple of weeks.

An injury free Win changes the landscape because GB may be getting healthy at the right time. J’aire, Dillon and Watson will work their way back in 1-2 weeks. Musgrave is now rehabbing with them as of this week. That’s a positive sign for a potential end of season or postseason return.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know they lost a close one like we did last week, but Minnesota is reeling. They play Detroit 2X and us in between. A hungry GB team is just good enough to cause problems for the Vikings also. I can see The Vikings either winning 2 or losing 2 of their last 3 (9-8 or 8-9)
So getting to 7-7 puts us in really good position.

There is no one on our schedule that is scary by any stretch. The Vikings on the Road is our toughest remaining game. Tampa is a closep 2nd toughest, but we play at home.
9 Wins is the magic number to gain a playoff spot with a 50/50 of the 6th/7th seed

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Need an explanation regarding wildcard position for the Pack in 7th place. According to the tiebreaker, for non-division team, head to head, then division record. Why are we ahead of Atlanta. We're both 6-7, they beat us, they're 3-1 and we're 2-2.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Need an explanation regarding wildcard position for the Pack in 7th place. According to the tiebreaker, for non-division team, head to head, then division record. Why are we ahead of Atlanta. We're both 6-7, they beat us, they're 3-1 and we're 2-2.
I believe head-to-head is less important if there are more than two teams in the tiebreaker.

Reaction score
Because Atlanta can’t win a tiebreaker over a team than beat them.

“Seattle Wins the tie break over Atlanta based on best win percentage in conference games. Division tie break was initially used to eliminate New Orleans (Atlanta wins tie break over New Orleans based on head-to-head win percentage)”

It’s the same reason why we’re over Seattle. Seattle is tied with the Rams, but the Rams beat Seattle. It wouldn’t be fair to allow Seattle to be ahead of us because of a conference record or whatever tertiary tiebreaker rule. They’d have to leap frog Rams and they lost to the Rams if that makes sense.

It is a little confusing it’s like a chain reaction. The Packers so far have just happened to beat most of the “right” teams just by chance. We are the front runner of these 6-7 teams, for now.

Now it’s time to pull away from the 6-7’s

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest problem with that best case scenario if they win their next three. If the 49ers win their next two which they should, they clinch home field and will likely rest key players against the Rams in week 18.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest problem with that best case scenario if they win their next three. If the 49ers win their next two which they should, they clinch home field and will likely rest key players against the Rams in week 18.

Correct, now granted the Niners play the Ravens this week so BIG challenge there but I still think they win due to being at home. Which means we need the Giants NEXT week to be the ones that give Rams a loss.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rams are rolling and looking unstoppable. Winning our last three may not be enough. Count the Rams in. We've got to worry about Seattle, Tampa

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rams are rolling and looking unstoppable. Winning our last three may not be enough. Count the Rams in. We've got to worry about Seattle, Tampa
Right. Stafford has been there before and so have the Rams. Who are their last 2 opponents? This is bad for the Vikings. They have to beat Detroit twice...and, of course, us.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't break my heart if we missed the playoffs. I for one have no desire to get the #7 seed and then have to go to Dallas and try to beat MM and freaking Cowboys. :sick:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't break my heart if we missed the playoffs. I for one have no desire to get the #7 seed and then have to go to Dallas and try to beat MM and freaking Cowboys. :sick:
The way this team responds I am more fearful of playing a 2 win team like Carolina than a SB champ like KC.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see GB win every time they take the field. But on the flip side any game we drop gets us better draft position. This team needs to figure out the RB position and IMPROVE the OL - and it can be very good again.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that MLF needs to realize he can't wait any more to fire Joe Barry. It's becoming increasingly obvious he's beginning to lose the team. I don't think he can wait until the off season to can Barry and hope to convince the team that he cares more about winning than loyalty. If MM was competent, he'd sit down with Gute and MLF and see to it that the best interest of the team come first, not MFL's relationship with Barry. If the team continues to flounder and runs the table losing the last 5 games to finish dead last to end the season, MFL may need to be fired along with Barry because he could lose the team and not have their respect any more setting up a toxic situation for future seasons with MFL as HC.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scoreboard watch. Rooting for the Bucs to win their division, eliminating negative tiebreaker scenario for us; Lions over Vikings, falcons to continue to fade, Seahawks to lose, and the Ravens to beat the 49ers. But the 49ers lose and either or or both the Eagles and cowboys win out and the 49ers will need to play their best players and beat the Rams in week 18 to secure home field.

Members online

No members online now.