Trading for Malik Willis

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers only gave up a 7th for Willis. I doubt he's an automatic no 2. He'll have to compete with whomever the Packers decide to keep from the Pratt, Clifford duo. Since he's a former 3rd round pick, MLF is probably looking at him as a good developmental option. I just don't see how he solves the back up qb problem. Maybe he's slightly better than Pratt or Clifford but the Titans gave up on 2022 3rd round pick so that doesn't bode well for his ability to step in.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watched a YouTube video and it convinced me-this is a STEAL for the Packers!

Willis was never the Titans' guy yet he has looked pretty solid this preseason after a couple rocky years in Tennessee

Now he ditches Nashville for pro-QB Development Factory USA in Green Bay

Gets to grow in our building behind Jordan Love our coaching staff/our culture

Could easily be another Matt Flynn/Geno Smith/Rich Gannon/Marc Bulger where he hangs around for 2 seasons with us then is given a legit chance to start somewhere else

No question he's a step above Clifford/Pratt

Will also count less than 1.5M this year AND next year towards the cap while many teams shell out serious coin for a talented QB2

I absolutely LOVE this move-Gutey at it again!

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No problem with this move, there's no real upside with our current backup QB situation. This gives us a better prospect to develop. See ya later to Clifford and Pratt though (unless they want to be on the PS).

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No problem with this move, there's no real upside with our current backup QB situation. This gives us a better prospect to develop. See ya later to Clifford and Pratt though (unless they want to be on the PS).
I think it would be foolish not to sign Pratt to the PS. First off you might need 3rd QB at some point during the season. Granted a PS squad player can't come into a game if your starter and backup are hurt but if one is hurt you can elevate them the following week if needed. Second, even though he was a seventh round pick many had him pegged much higher. He obviously has talent. He may not have shown it but I think its too soon to give up on a guy like that. Third, even though he can sign elsewhere (if you don't protect him) you still have some control over him. Players can and apparently have refused to go to a new team that wants to poach them. It might even behoove the Packers to offer him a little more than regular PS pay as an incentive.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure that Pratt isn't our guy. But evidently Willis is gonna get his shot.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Packers only gave up a 7th for Willis. I doubt he's an automatic no 2. He'll have to compete with whomever the Packers decide to keep from the Pratt, Clifford duo. Since he's a former 3rd round pick, MLF is probably looking at him as a good developmental option. I just don't see how he solves the back up qb problem. Maybe he's slightly better than Pratt or Clifford but the Titans gave up on 2022 3rd round pick so that doesn't bode well for his ability to step in.
He is the #2. There will not be a competition. They didn't trade for him to put on the practice squad. My guess is that they have given up on Clifford and Pratt is going to the practice squad.

Krabs

Reaction score
I'm not sure that Pratt isn't our guy. But evidently Willis is gonna get his shot.
Reading the tea leaves, they will cut both Clifford and Pratt. I don't think it is high risk in doing so. Neither looked like an NFL ready QB in the preseason. I think they will go with Pratt for the practice squad. If for some reason Pratt is signed, which I just don't see happening, they will probably go with Clifford.

Reaction score
I think all along Malik Willis was a developmental QB when he was drafted. Small school guy with essentially 2 full years and he already had Day1 buzz. His knock was actually similar to Love in that he needed to sit for a year or two. Here we are, he sat for 2 yrs and now he’s entering year 3.
I think he needs a 1/2 season of playbook work, but after that he’s just an all around better athlete than either Pratt or Clifford.

Tennessee’s backup OL were terrible (per podcasts I’ve since watched from TN fans) and after watching and listening to their internal depth breakdown, he was a cut candidate. His only real receiving option was JJ Jackson. He won’t have that problem in GB. He’ll have an adequate to good OL backups and maybe league best backup receiving targets.

Krabs

Reaction score
I think all along Malik Willis was a developmental QB when he was drafted. Small school guy with essentially 2 full years and he already had Day1 buzz. His knock was actually similar to Love in that he needed to sit for a year or two. Here we are, he sat for 2 yrs and now he’s entering year 3.
I think he needs a 1/2 season of playbook work, but after that he’s just an all around better athlete than either Pratt or Clifford.
He definitely needs playbook work. I just listened to an interview with him and he said as such. Said it was a difficult situation not knowing the offense at all. He was positive about it though. Discussed just preparing everyday. And you're absolutely right about the athleticism. At the very least he can make plays with his legs, which I don't think Pratt or Clifford can do consistently.

Reaction score
He definitely needs playbook work. I just listened to an interview with him and he said as such. Said it was a difficult situation not knowing the offense at all. He was positive about it though. Discussed just preparing everyday. And you're absolutely right about the athleticism. At the very least he can make plays with his legs, which I don't think Pratt or Clifford can do consistently.
Yeah good point, he’s a beast on the ground. 100+ rusher this PS and we all know he’s not Tannehill here. Yet he’s a super cheap stab at QB with big time upside. I think he’ll stumble past either Pratt or Clifford inside 1/2 season of work.

This is exciting. GB was probably a player on him during the ‘22 draft on Day2 to early Day3 (is my guess) but we already had our QB’s on board. Now we get him for a future late 7th Rounder? Plus he’s had that 2 years to mature? What’s the risk it’s not like we’re stacked at QB. :laugh:

Here’s a little history on his talent evaluation

unfurl="true"]https://www.lineups.com/articles/nfl-draft-positional-rankings-2022-quarterbacks/[/URL]

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This reminds me a bit of the DeShone Kizer trade in 2018. The Packers find themselves in the position of not having a decent #2 and look for a team that has a failed #1 QB to trade. Both Willis and Kizer were 2 QB's that were originally drafted with high expectations, that never came to fruition.

The Packers at least obtained Kizer in March, giving him plenty of time to prepare for the season. Willis will not be afforded that option. Maybe Willis turns out to be a much better option than Kizer was, but I hope we don't find out if that is or isn't the case, until 2025.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So they don't think

So they don't trust Clifford or Pratt to hold the fort down just in case?

They like Pratt, but they of course feel Willis comes in and offers a touch more experience and the team actually really liked Willis in that draft.

Clifford from my connections just didn't make any jump they had hoped in his second year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They like Pratt, but they of course feel Willis comes in and offers a touch more experience and the team actually really liked Willis in that draft.

Clifford from my connections just didn't make any jump they had hoped in his second year.
Pratt will be their #3. The only question will be, do they expose him on the waiver wire? I just can't see a team signing him to their 53.

Krabs

Reaction score
Pratt will be their #3. The only question will be, do they expose him on the waiver wire? I just can't see a team signing him to their 53.
Yes, he will be exposed to the waiver wire. If a team signs him away they have to put him on their 53 and they are not doing that. He didn't show near enough to be considered for a 53 man roster. The only way that would be is if it would have been with the Packers. I'm not sure the actual numbers but only a small percentage of players that are cut get picked up by an opposing team. Taysom Hill comes to mind, but that is very rare. Most teams sign their own cuts to the practice squad after they clear waivers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes, he will be exposed to the waiver wire. If a team signs him away they have to put him on their 53 and they are not doing that. He didn't show near enough to be considered for a 53 man roster. The only way that would be is if it would have been with the Packers. I'm not sure the actual numbers but only a small percentage of players that are cut get picked up by an opposing team. Taysom Hill comes to mind, but that is very rare. Most teams sign their own cuts to the practice squad after they clear waivers.
Agree.

I am seeing some "bigger name" QB's being cut, Zappe, Peterman, Rypien. More logical for teams to grab up one of them.

Krabs

Reaction score
Agree.

I am seeing some "bigger name" QB's being cut, Zappe, Peterman, Rypien. More logical for teams to grab up one of them.
I'd wager they will still let them get through wavers before signing them.

Reaction score
This reminds me a bit of the DeShone Kizer
That’s actually a really similar comparison. Both had Cannon arms. Both were really tough, physical players and could take a hit. Both had just 2 years starting in College. Both had 1 phenomenal year followed by a regression year (UCLA/Liberty)

I would say Willis is a slight tick above Kizer as far as athletic traits. He was #1 in his draft class from an athletic profile, whereas Kizer not so much. He was very middling athletically. Willis could probably convert to RB or TE and still be NFL caliber. Another example Comp of Taysom Hill is who comes to mind

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd wager they will still let them get through wavers before signing them.
Many of the vet QB's cut are now FA's and won't have to clear waivers. Right now, I like Willis better than the other QB's I've seen released and for a 7th rounder, not a bad deal, plus we get him for 2 years on his rookie contract ($1,290,025/year). Guessing guys like Peterman and Rypien would want more.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This all reminds me of the 2013 season when TT discarded all three backup QBs from camp at cut-downs. He then brought in Seneca Wallace and Scott Tolzien the week before the season began. Neither had experience in our offense. Of course, Rodgers broke his collarbone, Wallace got hurt, and Tolzien sucked. We eventually had to bring back Matt Flynn to save the season.

TT vowed to not make the same mistake again at the backup QB position. I won't call Gutekunst's cuts of Clifford and Pratt a mistake unless he fails to bring one of them back onto the practice squad. There is no way that Willis could possibly ready to come in and win a game this season. He won't know the playbook. For better or worse, he needs Clifford or Pratt there for backup and to help Willis learn the offense. He won't get any meaningful snaps until the offseason.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts