Trading for a kicker...how much is too much...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know everyone is now, if you weren't already, willing to admit Gute likely ought to do something to rectify the kicker situation.

HOWEVER, as many know those on the streets are limited BUT would you support the concept of trading for a kicker?

Here we sit in a TOUGH division where every team is at worst 4-2...we've only lost a game our QB got hurt in the final drive on and to a tough Vikings team where we made numerous turnovers in ruining drives...our defense is climbing the ranks of being potentially special in numerous metrics and when Love is firing this team has been MONEY.

Only two players really jump to me as a trade worthy option...

Nick Folk (Titans) - This one is a combination of a guy who is on the back three holes of his career (40) but has been a well above average kicker and is having an excellent 2024 campaign on a team that is a terrible 1-4 and just a loss or two away from this season being a fruitless endeavor. He is also in his final year of a contract.

Eddy Pineiro (Panthers) - Another guy having an excellent 2024, has been quite the solid kicker typically in his shorter career (four years), final year of his contract on a TERRIBLE team. He actually may be the only good thing happening in Carolina right now.

Now what exactly is a fair price for a trading for a kicker....could one of our bottom tier type WRs (Heath or Melton) perhaps grab one? My guess is only Titans would be interested as their whole group is older than 30+ essentially except for Burks...would you say yes to any of the deals below:

Titans get Malike Heath + 6th Rounder and we get Folk?
Titans get 5th Rounder and we get Folk and 7th rounder back?
Titans get 4th rounder and we get Folk and 6th rounder back?

I don't really know what I'm willing to give up for Folk....now Pineiro is young enough your likely trading and planning on off season extending IF he is successful here too....

Just an exercise of thought...

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between the two, I would think getting Folk would be easier. The Titans are looking at a lost season and anything we'd offer would better than a possible comp pick in the future. I would, however, be wary of offering too much. In 2025, he might just hit a wall and be done. At the same time, Titans know we're desperate for a kicker.

As far as Pineiro, I can't see it. Kickers do last quite a while. Why would they part with a guy who probably has 10 more years of good play left in him?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between the two, I would think getting Folk would be easier. The Titans are looking at a lost season and anything we'd offer would better than a possible comp pick in the future. I would, however, be wary of offering too much. In 2025, he might just hit a wall and be done. At the same time, Titans know we're desperate for a kicker.

As far as Pineiro, I can't see it. Kickers do last quite a while. Why would they part with a guy who probably has 10 more years of good play left in him?
When the Lions were rather tame they held onto Jason Hanson for a VERY long time.

Reaction score
My answer is no. Not unless it doesn’t include a player like Malik. I think he’d fetch an easy 5th Rounder or possibly a 4th Rounder. I’m not giving up equivalent of 4th+6th packaged.

Now not being difficulty. In the correct scenario or the right guy I might swap our 6th for 7th or a 6th straight up..maybe.

I still think we should bring in this kid. He's a 4th year NFL Kicker so he’s not a green pea. Cost? A bag of peanuts (unsalted). 75% chance he’s an upgrade and I’m talking tomorrow. He’s not a Huge leg (53 long) but likely Crosby Range (55) but he’s much more accurate in mid range Kicks than Narveson.
Riley is basically automatic inside <40
40/42 (95%)

40-49 career 84%
50+ 50%

3/3 FG postseason 100%
6/6 XPM postseason 100%
Reminds me of a younger version of Crosby at 20% the cost.

Last edited:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
How about the kid that was kicking for Arizona? He's a "temp" and the Packers did have him in camp at the same time as #44....and selected #44

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folk was traded to Titans in 2023 for a 7th in 2025 so, not trading anything of value for a kicker. Sure as heck isn't going to be a 4th. No. Just no.

Narveson is frustrating right now, but I think he can figure it out. Maybe if he was spraying the ball everyone on misses/makes I'd have a different opinion, but seems like one position on the field is his achille's heel right now.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My answer is no. Not unless it doesn’t include a player like Malik. I think he’d fetch an easy 5th Rounder or possibly a 4th Rounder. I’m not giving up equivalent of 4th+6th packaged.

Now not being difficulty. In the correct scenario or the right guy I might swap our 6th for 7th or a 6th straight up..maybe.

I still think we should bring in this kid. He's a 4th year NFL Kicker so he’s not a green pea. Cost? A bag of peanuts (unsalted). 75% chance he’s an upgrade and I’m talking tomorrow. He’s not a Huge leg (53 long) but likely Crosby Range (55) but he’s much more accurate in mid range Kicks than Narveson.
Riley is basically automatic inside <40
40/42 (95%)

40-49 career 84%
50+ 50%

3/3 FG postseason 100%
6/6 XPM postseason 100%
Reminds me of a younger version of Crosby at 20% the cost.

I am glad I am not a GM.

Reaction score
I seriously believe had Narveson missed that 2nd FG he was gone. I’m not sure if he knew how close it was but the fan base would’ve went wild. That last Kick literally gave him 1 more game. He needs to put together 2 consecutive games minimum without a miss. I’m not talking a stab at a 57 yarder guys miss those, but a makeable 41, 44, 48 yarder etc. he’d better go perfect Sunday or he’ll be ran out on scrap tarred and feathered.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seriously believe had Narveson missed that 2nd FG he was gone. I’m not sure if he knew how close it was but the fan base would’ve went wild. That last Kick literally gave him 1 more game. He needs to put together 2 consecutive games minimum without a miss. I’m not talking a stab at a 57 yarder guys miss those, but a makeable 41, 44, 48 yarder etc. he’d better go perfect Sunday or he’ll be ran out on scrap tarred and feathered.
Some years you get less attempts. Some more. And in September and October you have to hit these. They do not get easier in November and December unless you play indoors or in a mild clime.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As I said in the Narveson thread, I am done with the kid. He now looks lost and worried, a 4-2 team needs a better kicker.

At this point, I think there are some options for the Packers. Whether it is trading a 6th or 7th rounder for a proven kicker or just grabbing Ryland or Wright, I think you automatically improve over Narveson.

I would add Daniel Carlson (currently a Raider) to the list of possible trades.

If I was a betting man.....Chad Ryland, Riley Patterson or Matthew Wright are the Packers next kicker(s).

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said in the Narveson thread, I am done with the kid. He now looks lost and worried, a 4-2 team needs a better kicker.

At this point, I think there are some options for the Packers. Whether it is trading a 6th or 7th rounder for a proven kicker or just grabbing Ryland or Wright, I think you automatically improve over Narveson.

I would add Daniel Carlson (currently a Raider) to the list of possible trades.

If I was a betting man.....Chad Ryland, Riley Patterson or Matthew Wright are the Packers next kicker(s).
When you look at it we had a shot at winning our 2 losses if he hits a few of those misses.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When you look at it we had a shot at winning our 2 losses if he hits a few of those misses.
Yup and when you get into Dec/Jan. those are misses you can't afford to have. MLF came out and said that Narveson is still their kicker, but on a short leash. Whether Gute agrees with that, we will see. I honestly don't know what changes things for Narveson and his confidence right now, hitting 5-6 40+ yarders in a row?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm hoping that Malik is our backup again next year.
120% agree with THIS!

He is still on his rookie deal through 2025, the Packers would be absolutely F'ing nuts to part with him right now. They have nobody to back up Love.

Now if someone offers them a late 1st or 2nd rounder come March, I might consider it. :D

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folk was traded to Titans in 2023 for a 7th in 2025 so, not trading anything of value for a kicker. Sure as heck isn't going to be a 4th. No. Just no.

Narveson is frustrating right now, but I think he can figure it out. Maybe if he was spraying the ball everyone on misses/makes I'd have a different opinion, but seems like one position on the field is his achille's heel right now.
Unless we can talk Jerry into dealing Brandon Aubrey.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd feel great about signing McManus. 81.1% on '23 FG attempts, 30 for 37 (5 of the misses 50yds+) and perfect on XPA's. Is a 10yr vet who has seen it all brefore.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I didn't have McManus on my bingo card, but Welcome Veteran kicker! But don't unpack, just yet.

Latest posts