Studs & Duds - Indianapolis

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a stud for Indy. Clock mgmt at the end of game imo was extraordinary.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had zero sacks, no forced fumbles and few if any tackles for loss. That's not getting done. The Colts averaged 7.8 yards per rush. That hurts! What game did you watch?

I find it hilarious that you just blow by the fact they literally took an entire phase of the game out of it for Indy and for the first half nearly the entire offense including the rush. You cannot expect what they did the first half to continue the entire game against the run - especially when arguably you are going against one of the best young backs in the entire league - JT is legit special, the way he sets up cuts before making them is insane.

There are numerous ways for a front to win the play, series, drive, quarter, half and game. Sometimes that is to control the pocket and edges more so than get to the passer...other times it is all about pinning ears back and going to get him....folks look to the sack column way way way too much...it's like a dog when a squirrel runs by....

That front made two of those three picks with pressure - I'll have to watch the All22 here soon and see if it was all three.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't commenting on the entire defense. I was
Why did you omitt the 3 ints?

I know why
Focusing my remarks on how poorly the D line is playing. Surely 7.8 yards per rushing attempt is spectacularly bad. I think Xavier played well and so did the two rookies in the secondary. Valentine came in and played a majority of snaps at one of the corner positions. That is a bad development since it means there's either an injury to Stokes or he's getting benched.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it hilarious that you just blow by the fact they literally took an entire phase of the game out of it for Indy and for the first half nearly the entire offense including the rush. You cannot expect what they did the first half to continue the entire game against the run - especially when arguably you are going against one of the best young backs in the entire league - JT is legit special, the way he sets up cuts before making them is insane.

There are numerous ways for a front to win the play, series, drive, quarter, half and game. Sometimes that is to control the pocket and edges more so than get to the passer...other times it is all about pinning ears back and going to get him....folks look to the sack column way way way too much...it's like a dog when a squirrel runs by....

That front made two of those three picks with pressure - I'll have to watch the All22 here soon and see if it was all three.
You can't sugarcoat 7.8 yards per attempt in the run game. That's two straight weeks the front 7 was literally manhandled in the run game. I think Xavier and the two rookies are playing well and Wyatt had a few nice flashes but all in all, the defense is getting whipped at the LOS.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't sugarcoat 7.8 yards per attempt in the run game. That's two straight weeks the front 7 was literally manhandled in the run game. I think Xavier and the two rookies are playing well and Wyatt had a few nice flashes but all in all, the defense is getting whipped at the LOS.

I'm not saying they're amazing and truthfully the down and edge guys I'd not give a specific grade of over C+ this past week. But the defense as a whole just held a team to 10, forced three turnovers and on the whole caused the offense to have to not feed their best weapon (JT) because they were playing catch up...I've yet to see many plays where the edges have been let loose, but I've also seen better edge control this year than last....the key for this group is going to be finding that median between the extremes.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Studs: Game plan
2:1 ratio (40 min:20 min)
269 Rushing! (4.9 per) WOW
That tells me all we need to know about our Run block

Stud: OL/TE effort. Doing the dirty work does not always get accolades. Here it should they won the day

Josh Jacobs 32/151 yards. While he didn’t score a TD. He was amazing at 4.7 per in a contest where they 100% knew we’d run often.

Devonte Wyatt
2 TFL, 1 Sack

Xavier McKinney 1 INT
Eric Wilson 1 INT
Evan Williams 1 INT

That speaks to a COMBINED Defensive effort. Big day for our D allowing just 10 points including a game sealing 3rd INT

ST Punter “Make ‘em Work Fir it!”Daniel Whelan coming up big when needed. 3 punts 46.3 average
(38 yards to the Indi 16)
;42 yards to the 8 yard line)
(59 long to their 5 yard line!)
3/3 pinned Inside their 20 yard line 2/3 inside the 10
1/3 inside the 5
Give Daniel a Pabst Blue Ribbon
I echo this post. These were basically the same guys I was going to mention. I'm happy to see Eric Wilson in there. That was a great interception and very needed at the time. The Colts were moving the ball.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Studs: MLF and Stenavich's game plan for easing Willis into the job.
Hafley and the defense for holding the Colts to 10 points

Seems like a lot of fans here thought the Packer offense was too conservative and didn't play well. I guess I have to ask, what were you expecting? Willis had been with the team a little over 2 weeks. The offensive game plan had to be watered down and simplified. Even Jacobs is relatively new to the offense and they leaned heavily on him. Sure, they left some points on the field, but the offense actually looked pretty decent there in the 1st half, especially with a new backup QB running it.

The Colts put up 27 points last weekend against the Texans. I watched the Texans last night and their D is pretty darn good. To hold then to only 10 points yesterday, I would say the Packers defense definitely improved from Week 1 to Week 2. Would like to see more pressure from our DE's and better play by Walker, but all in all, they to did what they had to win.

I'm very happy with that W. I half expected Willis to come out and look like DeShone Kizer or Brett Hundley. He played a good first game. He didn't cough the ball up with a fumble or interception. Handoffs were clean and his decision making appeared to be good. We may have found a capable #2 QB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: MLF and Stenavich's game plan for easing Willis into the job.
Hafley and the defense for holding the Colts to 10 points

Seems like a lot of fans here thought the Packer offense was too conservative and didn't play well. I guess I have to ask, what were you expecting? Willis had been with the team a little over 2 weeks. The offensive game plan had to be watered down and simplified. Even Jacobs is relatively new to the offense and they leaned heavily on him. Sure, they left some points on the field, but the offense actually looked pretty decent there in the 1st half, especially with a new backup QB running it.

The Colts put up 27 points last weekend against the Texans. I watched the Texans last night and their D is pretty darn good. To hold then to only 10 points yesterday, I would say the Packers defense definitely improved from Week 1 to Week 2. Would like to see more pressure from our DE's and better play by Walker, but all in all, they to did what they had to win.

I'm very happy with that W. I half expected Willis to come out and look like DeShone Kizer or Brett Hundley. He played a good first game. He didn't cough the ball up with a fumble or interception. Handoffs were clean and his decision making appeared to be good. We may have found a capable #2 QB.

Anyone who expected more from this offseason I question their reasoning and processing skills LOL

Don't forget, Jacobs doesn't fumble on the half foot mark this offense put up 7 additional points....

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all have to remind ourselves we are implementing a new defensive scheme here and it may take a couple more games before they begin to gel. I am eager to see a replay of the game soon seeing I couldn't see it live yesterday.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im couldnt get the game but I’m guessing if Indy averaged 7.8 rushing and only scored 10 points - they ripped off a few big plays and the D held. If they were indeed picking up 5-6-7 yards every time they ran the ball that would be more concerning.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud: Willis, played above expectations.
OL played great along with rest of the team except

Dud: Walker, sorry but for a top draft choice I don't see it. Watch him in the replay. Reminds me of K.Jackson in how he plays.
Move Q to the outside imho

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all in how you look at it. Why did he have no touches, even running the ball? He's supposed to be a big part of our offense, draw up a run play to get the ball in his hands. MLF even said no to that, but there were 4 running plays by WR's in today's game. Is that on MLF or is it on Watson? I like Watson, to not even get a sniff of a play drawn up for him seems odd. He was a dud because he had no impact in the game, not because I thought he su**ed.
I'm glad they aren't running him. I'd like to see him stay healthy.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought LaFleur got too conservative in the 4th quarter. Was really glad to see them go for the onside kick. They could have had a lot better field position. I've been a bit down on Wilson. But what an xlnt and important int.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im couldnt get the game but I’m guessing if Indy averaged 7.8 rushing and only scored 10 points - they ripped off a few big plays and the D held. If they were indeed picking up 5-6-7 yards every time they ran the ball that would be more concerning.
Pretty much

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Taylor had a 29 and Richardson had a 21

Without those two runs their team averaged 5.6 on just 16 carries. Despite having one of the best runners in the game they had to pass to stay in it or attempt to get back in it...

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Willis, Reed, Jacobs, Wicks.

Honestly I couldn't think of any duds off the top of my head.

I liked the game plan for the most part. Running the ball worked really well in the first half. But in the 2nd half Indy seemed to be dealing with it a little better. I was looking to see them mix it up a little more. I thought Willis did a good job. I have to admit that I was nervous. Not sure how he would play. He did not appear to be nervous The couple of times he passed the ball he seemed to be accurate. If he plays again next week maybe they will give him a little more leeway. I understand why they didn't call many passes because you run the ball until the other team stops you.

The defense was ok. Maybe I'm expecting too much. It was great to see them get a turnover but I didn't see them get a lot of pressure on Anthony. Now maybe it was difficult because Anthony is a dual threat QB and of course they had to stop Jonathan Taylor. If I remember correctly they only got 2 sacks.

It was a good game. It a little to close for my comfort towards the end.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all have to remind ourselves we are implementing a new defensive scheme here and it may take a couple more games before they begin to gel. I am eager to see a replay of the game soon seeing I couldn't see it live yesterday.
not only that but the first two QBs we faced were very mobile threats who could hurt us with their legs. I think a key for the Haffley and the defense was not to let that hurt us. I thought we did a very good job of that on Hurts and even though I didn't see the Colts game it seems they did OK with Richardson as well. Looking at the BS I see they did give up a long of 21 and not unlike the Eagles game they gave up a big first down run in the red zone late in the game but still they did not kill us with a running QB.

Looking at just that part of the defense I am very happy and it makes me even more optimistic that Haffley will come up with good game plans when other situations dictate. Barkley and Taylor are two of the best RBs in the game. I would certainly like to see better out of our defense but not every team has one of these guys.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying they're amazing and truthfully the down and edge guys I'd not give a specific grade of over C+ this past week. But the defense as a whole just held a team to 10, forced three turnovers and on the whole caused the offense to have to not feed their best weapon (JT) because they were playing catch up...I've yet to see many plays where the edges have been let loose, but I've also seen better edge control this year than last....the key for this group is going to be finding that median between the extremes.
I'm not arguing that the defense won't get better and will sink the season but going back to last season, they can't stop the run. I don't blame the D coordinators. I think they are just getting whipped at the LOS. Perhaps giving Slaton and LVN more snaps will help since they are two of the better front 7 players against the run. The D greatly benefited from dropped passes and an offense that kept them of the field against the Colts. That is generally not something you can count on week in and week out. At some point soon, they need to step it up. I would feel better if their lack of run defense was compensated by a fierce pass rush. So far, the pass rush had been abysmal - 3 sacks in 2 games isn't getting it done but it's thankfully still early.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not arguing that the defense won't get better and will sink the season but going back to last season, they can't stop the run. I don't blame the D coordinators. I think they are just getting whipped at the LOS. Perhaps giving Slaton and LVN more snaps will help since they are two of the better front 7 players against the run. The D greatly benefited from dropped passes and an offense that kept them of the field against the Colts. That is generally not something you can count on week in and week out. At some point soon, they need to step it up. I would feel better if their lack of run defense was compensated by a fierce pass rush. So far, the pass rush had been abysmal - 3 sacks in 2 games isn't getting it done but it's thankfully still early.

Truthfully my faith in a downed lineman to win consistently his match up is Brooks then Wyatt and Clark tied for second...Clark should be the #1...he's gotta get better this year.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got to watch more highlights from the game. Yes, we gave up rushing yards but they get paid too. We aren't gonna shut people down. Teams are going to get their yards and points. Keeping them at 10 points is very good. Had Jacobs not fumble on the goal line and our kicker make his FGs we aren't biting our nails in the 4th quarter.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone who expected more from this offseason I question their reasoning and processing skills LOL

Don't forget, Jacobs doesn't fumble on the half foot mark this offense put up 7 additional points....

Which is why I said they left points on the field. ;)

Also, the missed FG. While I like Narveson so far, I hope he starts making the 40+ yarders more consistently. Might have been as issue elsewhere, but he has now missed 2 between 40-50 yards. At least he is 3-3 on XP's.

I watched more football yesterday than I normally do and watching some of these kickers appear to be automatic from 55 yards on in, as a Packer fan, was frustrating.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why I said they left points on the field. ;)

Also, the missed FG. While I like Narveson so far, I hope he starts making the 40+ yarders more consistently. Might have been as issue elsewhere, but he has now missed 2 between 40-50 yards. At least he is 3-3 on XP's.

I watched more football yesterday than I normally do and watching some of these kickers appear to be automatic from 55 yards on in, as a Packer fan, was frustrating.

Oh we agreed, I just used your comment to build off of, not contradict.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree to an extent. The question that needs to asked is why? He's a weapon running the ball. Bo Melton ran it twice today, Jayden Reed ran it twice today. He has 13 yds in offense over 2 games.
A lot of us called for Watson to stop getting the ball on Jet sweeps or any other runs. We seemed to think the hamstring was more of an issue after he was used on running plays. Just a guess.