Setting up 2025....A Cap Situation Discussion...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I've seen and heard it all - "With Love's contract we've just removed any chance of signing/resigning players and winning...."

Folks, oh ye of such short sighted and simple minds. Let's remember that last year in 2023 our QB "room" had a cap hit of over $45 Million. FORTY FIVE MILLION.

Now with Aaron's hit off our books in 2024....our QB "room" hit will be $23.57 Million IF we keep all four right now on the team with deals (Love, Clifford, Pratt, Eason).

Predicted 2025 Cap hit for the room - $31.88 Million (Love/Clifford/Pratt)
Predicted 2026 Cap Hit for the room - $38.47 Million (Love/Clifford/Pratt)
Predicted 2027 Cap Hit for the room - $43.66 Million (Love/Pratt)

There is not a single season in the Packers future - even without a restructure of Love's current deal will our cap hit from the QB room exceed what 2023 hit was UNTIL 2028....in 2028 Love's cap hit becomes $74.2 Million which of course is never going to happen and he will be extended or cut prior to this without hesitation.

Few more things...

Dead Cap

Many forget this year we yet again are towards the top of dead cap as I type this...Spotrac has us with the eighth highest dead cap hit at ...primarily due to these:

Bakh at $18M / Aaron Jones at $12.3M / Savage at $5.4M / Rasul at $5.1M / De'Vondre at $3.6M and Yosh at $2.5M

Next year right now we only have TWO players with dead cap hits and that is De'Vondre and Peter Bowden...totaling essentially $8 Million.

So for the first time since 2021 Gute may have less than a $10M dead cap hit....

Restructures/Extension/Cuts after this year...

Preston Smith is a rare breed at his age, barely missing ANY time, being productive but next year his hit is $17.5M and his dead is only $9.8M....depending on his play that $17.5M is more than fair...but it also could be worth a discussion with him and his agent to see if we can lower that down some to more what he'd be likely to get on the open market at his age elsewhere but keep him here. This could be compounded if LVN and Enagbare really take steps forward in this system as well...

Jaire Alexander for the first time in his contract has a dead cap($19.1M) lower than his cap hit ($25.8M)....if Ja's 2024 is as good as he seems to be projecting towards based solely on his interest and excitement for the new system that cap hit figure for a guy of his caliber is a STEAL almost...but he also now is cuttable/tradeable really for the first time after he signed his massive deal with us.

Just some cap numbers and such looking forward....2025 is not hamstrung like many say. Yes a few contracts balloon like Gary's especially ($11.1M to $25.5M), Love's ($20.7M to $29.7M) and McKinney's ($7.8M to $17.6M) but there is a lot of space left truthfully and with a team ascending...if Gute can keep providing 4 or 5 guys through the draft yearly this team could be deadlier with no QB question hopefully now.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I've seen and heard it all - "With Love's contract we've just removed any chance of signing/resigning players and winning...."

Folks, oh ye of such short sighted and simple minds. Let's remember that last year in 2023 our QB "room" had a cap hit of over $45 Million. FORTY FIVE MILLION.

Now with Aaron's hit off our books in 2024....our QB "room" hit will be $23.57 Million IF we keep all four right now on the team with deals (Love, Clifford, Pratt, Eason).

There is not a single season in the Packers future - even without a restructure of Love's current deal will our cap hit from the QB room exceed what 2023 hit was UNTIL 2028....in 2028 Love's cap hit becomes $74.2 Million which of course is never going to happen and he will be extended or cut prior to this without hesitation.

Few more things...

Dead Cap

Many forget this year we yet again are towards the top of dead cap as I type this...Spotrac has us with the eighth highest dead cap hit at ...primarily due to these:

Bakh at $18M / Aaron Jones at $12.3M / Savage at $5.4M / Rasul at $5.1M / De'Vondre at $3.6M and Yosh at $2.5M

Next year right now we only have TWO players with dead cap hits and that is De'Vondre and Peter Bowden...totaling essentially $8 Million.

So for the first time since 2021 Gute may have less than a $10M dead cap hit....

Preston Smith is a rare breed at his age, barely missing ANY time, being productive but next year his hit is $17.5M and his dead is only $9.8M....depending on his play that $17.5M is more than fair...but it also could be worth a discussion with him and his agent to see if we can lower that down some to more what he'd be likely to get on the open market at his age elsewhere but keep him here. This could be compounded if LVN and Enagbare really take steps forward in this system as well...

Jaire Alexander for the first time in his contract has a dead cap($19.1M) lower than his cap hit ($25.8M)....if Ja's 2024 is as good as he seems to be projecting towards based solely on his interest and excitement for the new system that cap hit figure for a guy of his caliber is a STEAL almost...but he also now is cuttable/tradeable really for the first time after he signed his massive deal with us.

Just some cap numbers and such looking forward....2025 is not hamstrung like many say. Yes a few contracts balloon like Gary's especially ($11.1M to $25.5M), Love's ($20.7M to $29.7M) and McKinney's ($7.8M to $17.6M) but there is a lot of space left truthfully and with a team ascending...if Gute can keep providing 4 or 5 guys through the draft yearly this team could be deadlier with no QB question hopefully now.
If Gary, Love and McKinney play like we all hope and think they can their cap its in 2025 will be worth it. Bottom Line Love's deal is not the death blow to the Packers team as some would like it to be.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...if Gute can keep providing 4 or 5 guys through the draft yearly this team could be deadlier with no QB question hopefully now.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

One thing that people forget about with Love's deal is that they are adding 4 years onto his existing 2yr contract extension, which has one year remaining. Therefore it's really a 5 year deal for $237.5M ($20.2M/1yr + $217.3M/4yrs). So you can think of it of $47.5M over five years, if you temporarily ignore the dead cap/void year.

Of course, the $74.2M cap hit in Year 5 will become the issue so he's really only locked up for the next four years. Over those four years his cap hit averages $32.2M, which is quite a bargain to what the naysayers are predicting:

$20.3M 2024 - Year 0 (last year of 2yr contract extension)
$29.8M 2025 - Year 1
$36.2M 2026 - Year 2
$42.5M 2027 - Year 3
$128.6M (average of $32.2M)

Love will be extended or cut by the point $74.2M comes to the forefront.
$74.2M 2028 - Year 4
$34.7M 2029 - Void Year

The New Deal
$29.8M - Year 1
$36.2M - Year 2
$42.5M - Year 3
$74.2M - Year 4
$34.7M - Void Year
$217.3 Million TOTAL

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Few more things...

Dead Cap

The vets you mention at the end of your post I think are gone by the start of camp 2025.

Preston's production is down, he is slowing down, and he is a liability in coverage. (I can guarantee you we will have a blown assignment and end up with him in coverage at least once this year). He just doesn't pass the eye test anymore.

Jaire is more talk than game right now. He's become an attitude issue, and if Stokes stays healthy, Valentine progress and even Ballentine progresses we don't need him, and can easily pick up a depth corner day 2 or 3 next year.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The vets you mention at the end of your post I think are gone by the start of camp 2025.

Preston's production is down, he is slowing down, and he is a liability in coverage. (I can guarantee you we will have a blown assignment and end up with him in coverage at least once this year). He just doesn't pass the eye test anymore.

Jaire is more talk than game right now. He's become an attitude issue, and if Stokes stays healthy, Valentine progress and even Ballentine progresses we don't need him, and can easily pick up a depth corner day 2 or 3 next year.
I don't agree with either. Preston has always been a liability in coverage imo and so you really don't want him back there. I think we can rotate him, keep him fresh and he'll be good. Jaire has had injury problems. And I like his personality. He is just having fun.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do find that after learning more of the contract details juxtaposed to resulting cap figure outlook my perception of Love's deal is even more favorable.

GB's front office hit a home run-they took a bit of time just for prudency while pulling the trigger right after the Dolphins thus giving Jordan/his agency the cache of signing a 'top' contract; yet there is team-friendly elements of said contract's structure setting up the front office with cap flexibility to maneuver moving forward-a luxury perennial teams prefer especially with a franchise signal caller in the building whose young.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Are you sure about Bowden? I thought he only got a 1 year $795k deal, with nothing guaranteed?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't agree with either. Preston has always been a liability in coverage imo and so you really don't want him back there. I think we can rotate him, keep him fresh and he'll be good. Jaire has had injury problems. And I like his personality. He is just having fun.
Alexander - I think he's selfish. I think management will look hard at ways to replace him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Dead cap on 2025 per Spotrac...I said it was tiny folks.

Player (2)PosCap HitCap Hit PctLeague Cap
De'Vondre CampbellILB$7,971,0002.92%
Peter BowdenLS$3,3340.00%

Bowden got a $5,000 signing bonus. So my best guess is, when the Packers cut him, that bonus got prorated onto the cap, $1,666 in 2024 and $3,334 on the cap in 2025. Add a few zeros to it and it would be concerning. It would be interesting to know though that since he was cut and then brought back, if the numbers change. I have to assume they had to sign a new contract, so probably so.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts