Let's Play General Manager...What should Ted Thompson do?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Most of the guys you listed are average players at best who wouldn't significantly improve the talent level on the Packers roster. The ones I might be interested in are Latavius Murray (who is excellent in pass protection as well), Sio Moore and John Simon.

If TT spends on keeping most of the Packers' own important free agents and then fills out some depth or roles with some solid veterans as listed, I do think that the roster would be improved (as opposed to opening wk 1 with 14 rookies and 6 UDFA's).

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Decisions are never easy this time of year. For example: which pair of brand new, pristine-white New Balance sneakers should I wear today?

Whoa. Deep man.

I get what you are saying. Brand new - New players from the draft. New balance. TT will strike a new balance with player acquisitions. Balance with old. Sneaker - sneaky - not what you expect.

TT is going to sign more veteran FAs this year. Apparently only white guys.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Whoa. Deep man.

I get what you are saying. Brand new - New players from the draft. New balance. TT will strike a new balance with player acquisitions. Balance with old. Sneaker - sneaky - not what you expect.

TT is going to sign more veteran FAs this year. Apparently only white guys.
You missed on the white part. Pristine-white is no record or rap sheet. No marks against them, a clean slate. "Packer people"

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Let Walk: Lang, Peppers, Hyde, Perry, Michael

Resign: Cook, Lacy, Tretter, Datone Jones

FA Signings: CB Davon House

Trade: 4th round pick to Eagles for OLB Conner Barwin (cheaper than Perry and I get the comp. pick back in 2 yrs. plus the pick next year for Perry)

(Targeting pass rushers like T.J. Watt and Derek Rivers [Youngstown State] and obviously CB's in first two rounds of draft)

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the tags applied and free agency on the horizon, here are the veterans that catch my eye. I'm just listing any and all players that I find interesting or potentially providing a value. I am well aware that there are certain positions that are of greater need, so I don't need to be reminded of that (looking at you Cap). I'm also not advocating that they all be signed. These guys are obviously in addition to the Packer players that I would like them to retain (in order, Lang, Hyde, Cook, Lacy, Jones, Peppers).

Running Backs:
  • L. Murray, Oakland: If the market is really soft for backs as reported and Murray can be had at a bargain rate, I'd like his potential as a compliment to Montgomery. He doesn't have the greatest vision or instincts, but he's an athletic player who can bring some thump between the tackles.
  • A. Morris, Dallas: If Dallas cuts Morris, as has been reported as a possibility, I'd jump on him as a between the tackles runner to add to the backfield.
Wide Receiver:
  • K. Wright, Tennessee: Wright has never quite lived up to the 1st round investment, but he's still a talented player with big play potential who I think could pay off with a change of scenery.
  • R. Woods, Buffalo: Woods is a quality route runner and possession receiver who is still very young (24). His skill set has never really fit with what the Bills have tried to do on offense, but I do believe he could surprise in a system that better fits his abilities.
  • M. Goodwin, Buffalo: One of the fastest players in the league at only 26, Goodwin could bring a deep threat element to the offense that it currently lacks at a rate far cheaper than players like Torrey Smith, Desean Jackson, or Kenny Stills will command.
Tight End:
  • A. Fasano, TEN: If they don't resign Cook, then I would like to see them sign a different veteran and draft one of these talented rookies. Fasano is probably the best blocker on the market, and the Packers really don't have a TE who can block.
  • R. Ellison, MIN: Same concept as above. Ellison doesn't block as well in-line, but he's a good lead blocker and is significantly younger.
Offensive Line:
  • B. Schwenke, C/G, TEN: This league is starved for quality OL play, meaning that there isn't much of a supply on the market, but the one guy I would be interested in is Schwenke because he's a serviceable player at both center and guard and young enough that he may improve with a change of scenery.
Defensive Line:
  • Jared Odrick, DE, JAX: With a weak DL class, it would be nice to see them add a veteran piece to the DL rotation. Odrick has some skills in both facets and can still be a productive player on limited snaps.
  • Tyson Alualu, DE, JAX: Same concept as above.
  • Stephen Paea, DE, CLE: Same concept as above.
Inside Linebacker:
  • Sio Moore, ARI: I don't think they're going to look to spend on a starting ILB with Ryan and Martinez at least theoretically growing into their roles. They have a backup WILL in Thomas, but no MIKE behind Ryan. Moore can be that guy and offers a little OLB versatility too.
Outside Linebacker:
  • John Simon, HOU: A strong rotational pass rusher who plays stout run defense. He might offer more in an expanded role. Spending ~8M on him might prove to be much smarter money than 15+M on Perry.
  • Connor Barwin, PHI: If Barwin is cut as is expected, he could be a nice rotational pass rusher with a versatile skillset to work into the mix.
  • Alex Okafor, ARI: A promising pass rusher early in his career, Okafor took a step backwards in 2015 and then play through an injury in 2016. There could be upside there.
  • Corey Lemonier, NYJ: A promising talent who fizzled in SF and then NY, I wouldn't mind giving him a spot on the 90 man and see what he can do in camp.
Cornerback:
  • Davon House, JAX: There is always risk with free agents, but at least in House this staff knows he can play capably in their scheme. He's still pretty young.
  • Dre Kirkpatrick, CIN: A solid boundary corner, Kirkpatrick is best off playing press man which he would do plenty of in GB.
  • Johnathan Joseph, HOU: This one is further out there and less certain than other projected cuts, but if a resigning of Bouye in Houson means Joseph is gone, then I'd like them to bring in the veteran as a temporary CB1.
Safety:
  • Daimion Stafford, TEN: A surprise contributor last season, Stafford could have more to offer at SS.

No..... to everyone except Connor Barwin, that is with a reasonable contract offer.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let Walk: Lang, Peppers, Hyde, Perry, Michael

Resign: Cook, Lacy, Tretter, Datone Jones

FA Signings: CB Davon House

Trade: 4th round pick to Eagles for OLB Conner Barwin (cheaper than Perry and I get the comp. pick back in 2 yrs. plus the pick next year for Perry)

(Targeting pass rushers like T.J. Watt and Derek Rivers [Youngstown State] and obviously CB's in first two rounds of draft)

Not datone jones, but the rest of your let walk/re-sign I agree with.

D

Deleted member 6794

No..... to everyone except Connor Barwin, that is with a reasonable contract offer.

The Packers shouldn't be interested in Barwin as he has significantly regressed over the past two seasons.

On what merits? We can get the same production out of probably Fackrell or Lowry (the position he was SUPPOSED TO play)

Any place else would've cut him 2 years ago for a rookie.

Datone Jones actually had a decent amount of pressures last season, his first at outside linebacker. I wouldn't mind bringing him back on a reasonable deal.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone Jones actually had a decent amount of pressures last season, his first at outside linebacker. I wouldn't mind bringing him back on a reasonable deal.

I personally don't care for guys who only get pressures, I want guys who get sacks. Look at AR, we see what happens when guys can't get to him....

D

Deleted member 6794

I personally don't care for guys who only get pressures, I want guys who get sacks. Look at AR, we see what happens when guys can't get to him....

In my opinion the toal number of sacks is a way overrated statistic. It's more important to put consistent pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
The Packers shouldn't be interested in Barwin as he has significantly regressed over the past two seasons.

Probably moot now that Perry is signed, but, in fairness to Barwin you must consider the Eagles played him at DE in their new 4-3 defense in 2016. Barwin is not a 4-3 DE, it lowered his production. He is a bona fide 3-4 OLB, and imo he could put up 9 or 10 sacks in Capers system. I would still go after him so Matthews can play ILB in 2017 with Perry and Barwin manning the OLB's.

Thanks for backing me up on Jones though. I'm not proposing the Packers bring him back as a starter after all. Clearly he'd be a backup OLB, and after the departures of Elliott and maybe Peppers, you gotta have some bodies. One-year deal for $2 million tops just to have a little depth.

Finally, TT should consider dumping Guion at this point and instead signing a FA DT. Namely 27 y.o. Bennie Logan from PHI. Darn good run defender at 315 lbs. would make a nice player to mix in with Daniels and Clark.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be fine bringing Jones back, but not for much. He's like most other guys that aren't the big dollar guys you're going to find. If he doesn't win a roster spot, so be it. If he does, he's not worse than the other guys available. If he ever played to his potential consistency, he'd be pretty good.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the new league year starting:

Perry and Barclay resigned. I had a feeling it would be Barclay or Tretter, basically whoever asked for LESS lol.

1. Resign Lang
2. Sign Hightower to play ILB
3. Sign Revis
4. Draft well and another young cornerback

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's Randall Cobb's future? Pending another lackluster season, should he be back in 18?

The way we use Cobb he should be back..

Look, he is NOT a "number one" receiver, but a very good slot receiver like Edelman, who is versatile like Percy Harvin...

I think he's fine, I don't get all the hate on him. Sure he's a little overpaid, but who do you replace him with???

The only knock is I would like to see him used more on out/drag routes besides just screens

D

Deleted member 6794

Probably moot now that Perry is signed, but, in fairness to Barwin you must consider the Eagles played him at DE in their new 4-3 defense in 2016. Barwin is not a 4-3 DE, it lowered his production. He is a bona fide 3-4 OLB, and imo he could put up 9 or 10 sacks in Capers system. I would still go after him so Matthews can play ILB in 2017 with Perry and Barwin manning the OLB's.

I would be fine with signing Barwin if he only struggled playing defensive end in a 4-3 last season but unfortunately his performance significantly regressed whike lining up at 3-4 outside linebacker two seasons ago as well.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be fine with signing Barwin if he only struggled playing defensive end in a 4-3 last season but unfortunately his performance significantly regressed whike lining up at 3-4 outside linebacker two seasons ago as well.
...AFTER being switched from LOLB (over the RT) to ROLB (over the LT). C'mon Capt., why omit important detail to bolster your stance? He'd be opposite Perry who plays over the LT in GB's defense if signed.

D

Deleted member 6794

...AFTER being switched from LOLB (over the RT) to ROLB (over the LT). C'mon Capt., why omit important detail to bolster your stance? He'd be opposite Perry who plays over the LT in GB's defense if signed.

I wasn't aware that Barwin switched sides in 2015. Perry being an excellent run defender is best suited to line up on the strong side though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think barwin for the right price would be fine. it's the nature of FA today. The young good guys get locked up. The young talented guys with question marks are available for big dollars and extremes of payoff or they sink you. and you're left with a lot that have seen their best days that may or may not have anything left for you.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As the smoke of the "frenzy" clears and things begin to slow down, here is what I'd like to see from the Packers.

RB: I would like them to tender a 1 year, incentive laden deal to Lacy (if they haven't already). If someone prices them out, no need to get into a bidding war for this guy. Should he leave, I'd look to the Cowboys to see if they cut Alfred Morris and bring him in as a btw. the tackles pounder to compliment Montgomery and a rookie.

TE: I am still hoping they stay in the mix for Cook so that they keep that pass catching threat while they draft and develop one of these several exciting prospects. Should he leave, I would probably add a low end veteran to fill out the position like Lance Kendricks or Ryan Griffin.

OL: Of course I'd love to have Lang back, but they have to be careful about size and length of contract for a near 30 year old guard with hip issues. If a desperate team like the Seahawks outbids them, I would look at a couple of C/G versatile players to compete in camp with a rookie: Stefen Wisniewski and Brian Schwenke.

DL
: I'd love for them to cut Guion and bring in a strong run defending 34DE like Lawrence Guy to replace him. Damion Square is a NT/DE versatile player who could bring some value as a depth/rotational player.

OLB: After signing Perry, they'd be ok to stand pat but Connor Barwin could still be added to supplement the position with an experienced and versatile presence.

ILB: I would still like a veteran presence here as they are really young at the position. Sio Moore is still my pick as a MIKE to back up Ryan.

CB: I still really like the idea of bringing House back given his age and how he played in Capers' defense. IF (and I realize it's an "if") he came back and was comparable to his 2014 self, he could end up being the best value of the offseason at the position.