Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Charles Woodson just would have caught those passes.
I saw Charles actually miss one against the Pats back in 2010 on SNF. But nonetheless he was a turnover machine.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw Charles actually miss one against the Pats back in 2010 on SNF. But nonetheless he was a turnover machine.
He just had a sixth sense that can't be taught or coached. A lot of these guys have the same physical traits. The HOF guys have an extra sense. Really miss that guy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should been last year
Amen to that. Seemed like it was MLF's decision and Gluten didn't interfere. This year Gluten needs to interfere.

And why not simply give him the axe and promote someone - Bisaccia - until they can recruit someone in the off season. Bisaccia has HC skills and it looks like he straightened out STs. IMO it would be a worthwhile move.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He just had a sixth sense that can't be taught or coached. A lot of these guys have the same physical traits. The HOF guys have an extra sense. Really miss that guy.
I think Woodson, much like an Aaron Rodgers that knows how to read a defense pre-snap, was a guy that could read the opposing offense. Whether it was innate or just a guy that was excellent at film study, it seems to be somewhat of a rare quality.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Woodson, much like an Aaron Rodgers that knows how to read a defense pre-snap, was a guy that could read the opposing offense. Whether it was innate or just a guy that was excellent at film study, it seems to be somewhat of a rare quality.
Yeah it may just be how quickly they process what they see. It's one thing to read an offense or defense, but adjustments need to be made before the LOS is set. Rodgers and Woodson had that uncanny ability, although I'd argue it was easier for Rodgers as he controlled the snap.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, the Bears will hire him.
How much did the Bears spend on FAs in the off season? It really doesn't matter, it was a lot. Seems like Poles is just like all the other ineffective GMs before him in Chicago.

It's amazing to me that big city teams like the Bears and Jets have so much trouble finding management talent. That's where it starts. Ron Wolf got to GB before Favre and R. White and a bunch of other guys. We can debate how good TT and Gluten were/are, but they won a lot of games.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am not a Joe Barry apologist. I don’t think he really adds much that allows his unit to become more than the sum of its parts. Last year, they were less than the sum. But his defense is here to play this season. I know that Atlanta run on them a ton, but they played well enough to win that game.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense was playing well enough before the Carr injury. That needs to be considered. Yet, when the chips were down, not having Carr out there did hurt the Saints quite a bit.

But, a win is a win. Take them any way you can. Always remember. That last kick sailed right, or we would have lost. It was down to that play for the game.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Totally agree. Charles Woodson thought he was better than any QB or WR he faced, and that every pass in his direction belonged to him and that he was taking it to the end zone.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense was playing well enough before the Carr injury. That needs to be considered. Yet, when the chips were down, not having Carr out there did hurt the Saints quite a bit.

But, a win is a win. Take them any way you can. Always remember. That last kick sailed right, or we would have lost. It was down to that play for the game.
"or we would have lost" Not sure about that but it begs the question. Why didn't we call a time out? We would have had 40 seconds more and might have needed it. You know for sure that the other team will run the clock down all the way down. But when we have the ball, they can run back to the line of scrimmage and run another play in half the time. Once we are in field goal range, we can let the clock run.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Winston tossed 5 tds vs the Packers 2 years ago?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Agree. I hope MLF and the Packers look at clock management as well. Yes, it was awesome to score that final TD, but they left way too much time on the clock.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
La
I am not a Joe Barry apologist. I don’t think he really adds much that allows his unit to become more than the sum of its parts. Last year, they were less than the sum. But his defense is here to play this season. I know that Atlanta run on them a ton, but they played well enough to win that game.
Last week should have been a win. This week should have been a loss..

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
La

Last week should have been a win. This week should have been a loss..

When the offense isn’t missing all its top players, I think GB is pretty comfortably better than both those teams.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree. I hope MLF and the Packers look at clock management as well. Yes, it was awesome to score that final TD, but they left way too much time on the clock.
The defense had stymied Winston the entire time. Time on the clock wasn't a problem until it was.
I'd have take a time out before the 2 minute warning. About 15- 20 seconds there would have been saved. I'm surprised NO kicked the FG with that much time left. They should have been running more.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense had stymied Winston the entire time. Time on the clock wasn't a problem until it was.
I'd have take a time out before the 2 minute warning. About 15- 20 seconds there would have been saved. I'm surprised NO kicked the FG with that much time left. They should have been running more.
Yeah NO played that last series poorly, in contrast to the Falcons last week. I was a little surprised MLF didn't call a TO with just under two mins left. That cost about 40 seconds. Had the FG been good, they would have had about 1:45 left to get within FG range.

I guess there are arguments both ways, but it seemed a TO was in order. Overall GB did a much better job managing TOs than usual.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure if NO would have played it differently if Carr was in the game. Hill was playing but he was banged up from the last game. With Winston in there the Saints could have better utilized the RPO. A few years ago he killed us with that. Just remember that Kamara was not playing. That changes that team even more than Jones not playing for us.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just remember that Kamara was not playing. That changes that team even more than Jones not playing for us.
Agree and the guy they signed to fill in for him, former Packer Jameal Williams was out too.

I'm not used to seeing this many starters out for the Packers, this early in the season, but depth is usually what separates teams in the NFL and so far, the Packers OL, WR's and CB's have shown some depth.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree and the guy they signed to fill in for him, former Packer Jameal Williams was out too.

I'm not used to seeing this many starters out for the Packers, this early in the season, but depth is usually what separates teams in the NFL and so far, the Packers OL, WR's and CB's have shown some depth.
Good point. I was really surprised pre-game at the number of starters not starting. I don't recall every situation, but Doubs and Reed certainly are helping, and Reed didn't have anywhere near a great day. He did make catches when it was necessary. Doubs looks like he can catch anything.

And I thought the NO's CBs were outstanding. So at WR, yeah, the Packers played next-man-up very well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm going to disagree on giving the Saints THAT much time, but otherwise, I agree with you. Both teams at times didn't manage the clock well. I have said it before and I will say it again, with all the money that is on the line and that these teams have, why the heck don't they hire 1 person, just 1! That person's job is to know clock management and all the ins and outs and instruct the coach on what the team should be doing in the way of timeouts, letting the clock run, etc.

Anyone who watched the Badger game Friday night, saw the Badgers completely lay an egg on offense in regards to clock management. I was playing poker with a group and we all were screaming at the TV "Stop snapping the ball with 10+ seconds on the play clock in the 4th Q. with only a 14 point lead that wasn't exactly safe!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online