Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing some of the defensive back seven or more yards off the line of scrimmage on 3rd and three or less again. They never learn.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Add two dropped INTs, one a sure pic 6, and it's time to take a closer look and make changes, somewhere.
I don't expect them to always hold onto the picks. The one to Jaire he didn't have much time to react to, and as a DB you're not expecting the ball to be thrown right at you.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd add Gutey to this topic at this point. We don't have that young stud 3-4 ILB to play the OTHER spot yet, so that we have to have Campbell covering Robinson yesterday in a must stop situation WHY?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd add Gutey to this topic at this point. We don't have that young stud 3-4 ILB to play the OTHER spot yet, so that we have to have Campbell covering Robinson yesterday in a must stop situation WHY?

LOL...because you cannot have a stud everywhere. Campbell is only one season plus two weeks removed from playing absolutely lights out. He is far from perfect, but is also far from bad. There is next to no ILB in the league that can cover a guy like Bijan (Mcaffrey, Jones or such) split out.

If we dropped him off and added a safety in there I bet they run and keep Bijan by Ridder...it is all cat and mouse game, but to say Gute is worthy of being fired is not even close to reasonable IMO.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL...because you cannot have a stud everywhere. Campbell is only one season plus two weeks removed from playing absolutely lights out. He is far from perfect, but is also far from bad. There is next to no ILB in the league that can cover a guy like Bijan (Mcaffrey, Jones or such) split out.

If we dropped him off and added a safety in there I bet they run and keep Bijan by Ridder...it is all cat and mouse game, but to say Gute is worthy of being fired is not even close to reasonable IMO.
If we end up with a 30 year old Linebacker with a history of knee issues on him it's a personnel issue. And I'm not sure I would call what I saw on that play coverage i.e. pursuit...I'd call it chasing.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect them to always hold onto the picks. The one to Jaire he didn't have much time to react to, and as a DB you're not expecting the ball to be thrown right at you.
Oh I do agree. Walker is good at reading a QB and I think JA was looking downfield envisioning the end zone. Hey I’d rather they get their hands on the ball than the opponent’s receivers!

I’m encouraged by Walker’s play. It’s one thing for an ILB to play run and pass. Turnovers make it that much better.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think Gluten can be responsible for one-off on-field decisions, good or bad.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Campbell played way off of him. It was a gimme. I'd rather have another safety/corner in there for that.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Campbell played way off of him. It was a gimme. I'd rather have another safety/corner in there for that.
I didn't state I preferred him, it is however the personnel we had. The way they were running I guarantee had Campbell been out and an additional DB in, they run the ball and get it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't state I preferred him, it is however the personnel we had. The way they were running I guarantee had Campbell been out and an additional DB in, they run the ball and get it.
Nothing was more guaranteed on that play than what happened.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the way Barry plays, always, with CBs well off the LOS. Look at that pic above. The entire flat is uncovered with only 2-3 yards needed for a first down. It's the same as last year, and it's maddening.
Barry is not a believer in press coverage. He thinks it causes more illegal contact penalties. That is why we do not see as many CBs jump the route like we did in the AL Harris-Charles Woodson era.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing was more guaranteed on that play than what happened.
Yeah I mean you could see it coming a mile away. And while Campbell was the wrong defender, even a DB should have been playing Robinson at the LOS to shuck him. That would have been the only way to change the outcome. Once Ridder saw Campbell defending, well they shoulda just moved the chains.

It reminded me of when Adams would line up with a defender 5-7 yards off the LOS. That was a gimme for Rodgers/Adams and usually was good for at least 7 yards.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry is not a believer in press coverage. He thinks it causes more illegal contact penalties. That is why we do not see as many CBs jump the route like we did in the AL Harris-Charles Woodson era.
Not exactly situational football. There are definitely times to do it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks. Well I'd rather see a return to the Harris/Woodson type of defense. Playing zone just doesn't work, and the Falcons aren't the best offense the Packers will see.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah they really should have had Robinson double teamed, and I doubt even that would have prevented a 1st down. The Packers got caught with the wrong personnel. Had they not already wasted a TO, it would have been the place to use one.

Clock management..... Another topic.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This needs to be bumped. The more I see this the more aggravated I get. Why? Just why?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Is that real? Is there really someone on the 26 yard line? 3rd and 3 and a first down means at least a field goal? And we are up by 2 points. And the corners don't look like they will stop anything but a bomb. 3 and 4 yards off the first down line. Or is that actually Campbell out there?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that real? Is there really someone on the 26 yard line? 3rd and 3 and a first down means at least a field goal? And we are up by 2 points. And the corners don't look like they will stop anything but a bomb. 3 and 4 yards off the first down line. Or is that actually Campbell out there?
That's Campbell out there alright. If I remember this play, Robinson lined up in the slot and the Packers were stuck with personnel in the wrong place. Looked like they were anticipating a run and Campbell had to follow Robinson. This was a good place for a TO, but they had already burned one.

It was pitch and catch and with the D playing so soft, Robinson picked up 7 yards easily and the first down to keep burning time.

They are just playing too soft, and this is almost always true with a Joe Barry D. Rarely do the CBs bump the receivers at the LOS. It's terrible coaching really, and it was true last year as well.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not exactly situational football. There are definitely times to do it.
Too many DCs think their secondary will get burned with a deep throw and the safeties cannot keep up. Like Randy Moss is still out there. Pressure forces the QB to throw early. The best example was when Mr. We Want The Ball saw a blitz coming and quickly threw one into the hands of our CB.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks. Well I'd rather see a return to the Harris/Woodson type of defense. Playing zone just doesn't work, and the Falcons aren't the best offense the Packers will see.
Especially since this team has no Julio Jones any longer or a Matty Ice with a long arm. To Ridder's credit he escaped several pressures and got yardage.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I do agree. Walker is good at reading a QB and I think JA was looking downfield envisioning the end zone. Hey I’d rather they get their hands on the ball than the opponent’s receivers!

I’m encouraged by Walker’s play. It’s one thing for an ILB to play run and pass. Turnovers make it that much better.
Interceptions- 1 out of 3 in catchable balls is not acceptable. I think Charles Woodson would likely concur.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that the defense was pretty agressive in the first half and then it was the same ole same ole. Receivers running wild. They did not hurry up Ridder at all. And forget about stopping the run.

The offense made some miscues but the defense was supposed to help with that. Very disappointing.

It's really bad when my daughter who knows very little about the game said, Wow the defense looked bad in the 2nd half.:mad::mad:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that the defense was pretty agressive in the first half and then it was the same ole same ole. Receivers running wild. They did not hurry up Ridder at all. And forget about stopping the run.

The offense made some miscues but the defense was supposed to help with that. Very disappointing.

It's really bad when my daughter who knows very little about the game said, Wow the defense looked bad in the 2nd half.:mad::mad:
Which was indicative of the Falcons running over 20 more plays than us.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, I will not blame this loss entirely on Joe Barry, he didn't drop interceptions and he didn't fail to complete a pass in the fourth quarter. However, he DID play bear fronts when Bijan was in the game and nickel fronts when Algier was in the game which seems to be, uhm, the opposite of how you would want to play those running backs? Any way you look at it, Joe Barry has been given more help by the front office than any other DC in the NFL and he continues to do less with it than any reasonable fan should expect.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can blame Barry all we want but he didn't miss tackles, drop gimme interceptions, and fail to hold the edge when put in position to do so. Our defensive "studs" all **** themselves.

Alexander drops an easy interception and got cooked by a 2nd year receiver w/ Desmond Ridder at QB. Shut down CB my ***
Gary plays every down like it's 3rd and 15 and got torched on the read option.
Clark, useless in the run game and at this point wildly overpaid.

Reaction score
All this Barry BS just makes me want watch more college football
It's unfixable in Green Bay for this season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online