Doubs Missing Practice

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't know. The whole tone of the follow-up article rubs me the wrong way. The initial title of the above-linked story was "Doubs offers shifting explanations for suspension" (and it appears to still show that way on search results. Or see also:

Like I said. Just don't care for the tone of it. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it feels accusatory and just kind of scummy, like he's trying to catch the guy in a lie or tongue-tied rather than admit to an erroneous scoop.

That's because very few would have read an article that was titled "Doubs needed a break for his mental health."

Sadly, mental health has been and still is a TABOO with so many people. I grew up with a mother that was diagnosed as "bipolar" from a very young age. She went through all of the now banned psych meds in the 70's, electro therapy, dozens of doctors, etc. For 90% of her life, she was the happy, "normal" person that so many people loved and hung out with. However, whenever she went into a deep depression or a manic binge of flying around the world, most of her friends and some of her family ran away and didn't want to have anything to do with her. Why? They didn't know how to act around her, they didn't know what she would do, they were afraid and sadly misinformed that she was "crazy", it was work to be with her. I never really held any of them accountable, nor did I blame them, it is what society has taught us, fear mental illness. I have never viewed mental illness as being much different than a diabetic, a person with chronic arthritis, eye issues, etc. It's simply a part of the body not working correctly, but since it is the brain, it scares many.

I could ramble on, but I just hope Doubs has a lot of support and that whatever he may be going through, helps others to learn more about the health of our brain and what is required to maintain its health.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are posters out here who remember my run-ins with Huber a long time ago. They were on-on-one, not me railing at a sports writer. He was an idiot then, and hasn't changed. Tyni laid it on the line. A few of us know a few things, but we even if it's valid, we don't come out and make stupid comments and blow it out of proportion.

At the present time, I have some valid inside contacts within the Packer organization, and when it comes to issues like this with Romeo, I don't even bring the subject up with them because I don't want them to feel like I'm trying to "get the scoop" on something that quite honestly is none of my business. I prefer keeping our discussions along the line of friends talking, and what's said is private. That's probably why they're still friends. Nothing drives a wedge into a friendship faster than one person exploiting it.

As I've mentioned somewhere out here, Romeo is a quiet, shy individual, who has gone through a lot to get where he is, and respects the process. Let him deal with the issue at hand the best way he can. It's obvious he has not lost his desire to play for the Packers, after what we saw with his two TDs yesterday. He's a team player, who is not on an ego trip.

Anyhow, if you want to be a good Packer fan, get on the Romeo Doubs fan train, and give him the love he needs to get past this issue in his life. He's obviously giving exactly what we've asked of him as fans, on the field. And above all. Please remember that every player has a life with as much fragility in it as we have in our own lives, often more.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Doubs clearly did everything the staff required to be back in uniform and performing the way he did yesterday. All appears to be back on track again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There are posters out here who remember my run-ins with Huber a long time ago. They were on-on-one, not me railing at a sports writer. He was an idiot then, and hasn't changed. Tyni laid it on the line. A few of us know a few things, but we even if it's valid, we don't come out and make stupid comments and blow it out of proportion.

At the present time, I have some valid inside contacts within the Packer organization, and when it comes to issues like this with Romeo, I don't even bring the subject up with them because I don't want them to feel like I'm trying to "get the scoop" on something that quite honestly is none of my business. I prefer keeping our discussions along the line of friends talking, and what's said is private. That's probably why they're still friends. Nothing drives a wedge into a friendship faster than one person exploiting it.

As I've mentioned somewhere out here, Romeo is a quiet, shy individual, who has gone through a lot to get where he is, and respects the process. Let him deal with the issue at hand the best way he can. It's obvious he has not lost his desire to play for the Packers, after what we saw with his two TDs yesterday. He's a team player, who is not on an ego trip.

Anyhow, if you want to be a good Packer fan, get on the Romeo Doubs fan train, and give him the love he needs to get past this issue in his life. He's obviously giving exactly what we've asked of him as fans, on the field. And above all. Please remember that every player has a life with as much fragility in it as we have in our own lives, often more.
I think you need to use your contacts to invite Romeo to our Forum, we will give him some loving! :)

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you need to use your contacts to invite Romeo to our Forum, we will give him some loving! :)
He's not going to be the guy who interacts in a public forum like this. Not too many have a thick enough skin to be able to let all the negativity roll off of them like water off a duck's back. In fact, the majority end up walking away during a season because of negativity. They may read a board or two, now and then, but won't do any posting. As for the names they use, nobody would ever know who they are, unless you know who they are.

What makes me laugh is when one of them states something specific about the game, and an arm-chair QB or two will sit there and tell the guy he's clueless. It's like a guy who built a model airplane walking into the cockpit of a 767 airplane, and telling the pilot he knows more about flying and landing the plane than the pilot, who's been trained, and does the job, knows.

It's just like the Narveson issue. The kid is having problems, and people talking about him like he was dirt isn't helping him get past the hiccups.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's just like the Narveson issue. The kid is having problems, and people talking about him like he was dirt isn't helping him get past the hiccups.
Yikes! Scrambling to delete my last post! ;)

I had patience for Narveson at the beginning of the season. 6 games in, I think it is time to move on. For me it is no longer just about his misses, but more about the way he looks out there, totally lacks any confidence.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I had patience for Narveson at the beginning of the season. 6 games in, I think it is time to move on. For me it is no longer just about his misses, but more about the way he looks out there, totally lacks any confidence.
Sad, but true. These are early season games. You get into the postseason and you just cannot choke. If Carlson made that kick in SF we just may have won that game in OT.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's true. To be honest, we should never have found ourselves in this position in the first place. At this point in time, they're pretty much exhausting any possible options they have. They'd be trading one headache for another more than likely.

Because of this, what they need to do is show the kid more support, and give him a sense that he doesn't need to rent a motel room on a day to day basis. He obviously doesn't feel like he's really part of it all. He has to feel like he's the wart on the nose of a witch.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's true. To be honest, we should never have found ourselves in this position in the first place. At this point in time, they're pretty much exhausting any possible options they have. They'd be trading one headache for another more than likely.

Because of this, what they need to do is show the kid more support, and give him a sense that he doesn't need to rent a motel room on a day to day basis. He obviously doesn't feel like he's really part of it all. He has to feel like he's the wart on the nose of a witch.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I agree with you that it has turned into a giant mistake by Gute and Co. to go into this season with the Cluster F* situation they had at K, since last season. Which I think is why people were shocked when both Anders and Joseph were let loose and they chose to roll the dice with Narveson. Another unproven guy, that they hoped turned into a reliable kicker.

I know they already have Hale on the PS, but honestly, at this point if they see a future in Narveson, it might be better for the team and for Narveson to put him on the Practice Squad and sign a veteran Kicker. The weather is getting colder and the pressure could be getting greater as we move closer to the playoffs.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you that it has turned into a giant mistake by Gute and Co. to go into this season with the Cluster F* situation they had at K, since last season. Which I think is why people were shocked when both Anders and Joseph were let loose and they chose to roll the dice with Narveson. Another unproven guy, that they hoped turned into a reliable kicker.

I know they already have Hale on the PS, but honestly, at this point if they see a future in Narveson, it might be better for the team and for Narveson to put him on the Practice Squad and sign a veteran Kicker. The weather is getting colder and the pressure could be getting greater as we move closer to the playoffs.
I'm not sure how much of this you can lay on Gute. Yes he failed at finding a decent kicker but I don't think you can say it was from a lack of trying. How many kickers did he bring in during the off season? I think the Packers may have had more kickers in camp over the past two seasons than they had in the previous 20. Obviously I'm not giving him a total pass because it seems other teams have succeeded in finding good kickers but lots of them have failed as well.

as for veterans I think Randy Bullock is available.

Side note the 49ers just signed Carlson to their PS.

Members online

Latest posts