Bobby Tonyan

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this offense definitely designs game plans around matchups and players for every game. Sometimes he's more involved as a pass catcher than others, but he's not really all that inconsistent. I've never seen him slacking off, he's blocking hard every game. He's running his routes every game and his hands have been pretty consistent.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this offense definitely designs game plans around matchups and players for every game. Sometimes he's more involved as a pass catcher than others, but he's not really all that inconsistent. I've never seen him slacking off, he's blocking hard every game. He's running his routes every game and his hands have been pretty consistent.

What this offense is missing is a Tight End who's in every game plan. The same way we don't scheme Adams and Jones out of the gameplan that's what we need from Tonyan....or Kyle Pitts in the 1st Round.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What this offense is missing is a Tight End who's in every game plan. The same way we don't scheme Adams and Jones out of the gameplan that's what we need from Tonyan....or Kyle Pitts in the 1st Round.
I know there was at least one game this year they said they moved away from Jones because they opposing defense had a plan for him.

there are very few TEs who are great every week. He’s just coming into his own in year 3, like many TEs across the league before him. His story isn’t written yet and there is more there yet.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I know there was at least one game this year they said they moved away from Jones because they opposing defense had a plan for him.

there are very few TEs who are great every week. He’s just coming into his own in year 3, like many TEs across the league before him. His story isn’t written yet and there is more there yet.
I think the three TE’s have each been used efficiently in tandem. I don’t know what our TE numbers look like compared to other teams around the league but the three have blocked and caught the ball well without fumbling. Along with the RB’s receiving, I think our passing game is very well balanced right now. Things are looking really good going forward if the run defense improves some.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the three TE’s have each been used efficiently in tandem. I don’t know what our TE numbers look like compared to other teams around the league but the three have blocked and caught the ball well without fumbling. Along with the RB’s receiving, I think our passing game is very well balanced right now. Things are looking really good going forward if the run defense improves some.

Both Lewis and Tonyan had touchdowns this week, I'd call that good production. Next season perhaps Deguara will be added to the mix.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Both Lewis and Tonyan had touchdowns this week, I'd call that good production. Next season perhaps Deguara will be added to the mix.
Most definitely will. Still unsure about Sternberger’s long term future. I don’t see Lewis coming back next year unless it’s as a early August signing for vet minimum.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most definitely will. Still unsure about Sternberger’s long term future. I don’t see Lewis coming back next year unless it’s as a early August signing for vet minimum.

Tonyan didn't really catch on until this year, so there is hope for Sternberger as well.

I'd hate to see Marcedes go, he's a great blocker and a locker room asset.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tonyan...really growing into the position. best pass catching TE in 10 years. the missing link in the O during that time...that and this new O puts an emphasis on the TE and the middle of the field.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
tonyan...really growing into the position. best pass catching TE in 10 years. the missing link in the O during that time...that and this new O puts an emphasis on the TE and the middle of the field.

I hope so. I still would like to see him go up and catch some contested balls. Seems like he is always wide open when he gets a pass. Now that could be that he is a great route runner or teams just don't really respect him just yet.

I hope he is the second coming of a Kelce or Kittle, but I still think he has a ways to go and honestly, I wouldn't mind him really exploding into a great player.....after the Packers lock him up on a long term deal at an affordable price.

The Packers may end up having to put a Tender on him. I doubt a 1st round, but maybe a 2nd round or at minimum a right of first refusal.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
@Favre>Rodgers259
More consistent than Jimmy was

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/6-areas-where-packers-have-improved-most-on-offense-in-2020/

Tonyan might be the most efficient tight end in football this season. He’s catching everything, creating explosive plays and scoring touchdowns. Graham did none of those things consistently during his two seasons in Green Bay. And he’s been even worse in Chicago this season, averaging 8.8 yards per catch and 5.5 yards per target. The Packers probably should have made the move to Tonyan a year earlier.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope so. I still would like to see him go up and catch some contested balls. Seems like he is always wide open when he gets a pass. Now that could be that he is a great route runner or teams just don't really respect him just yet.

I hope he is the second coming of a Kelce or Kittle, but I still think he has a ways to go and honestly, I wouldn't mind him really exploding into a great player.....after the Packers lock him up on a long term deal at an affordable price.

The Packers may end up having to put a Tender on him. I doubt a 1st round, but maybe a 2nd round or at minimum a right of first refusal.
yup. i think the sternburger plateau has pretty much set in stone the last point. big bob is TE1 for the foreseeable. he just might be the next player extended.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
lol

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
yup. i think the sternburger plateau has pretty much set in stone the last point. big bob is TE1 for the foreseeable. he just might be the next player extended.
lol

Never hurts to have too many quality TE's, especially in MLF's offense. However, how much can you afford to spend on Tonyan? We not only have Sternberger but also 3rd round pick Josiah Deguara. In a normal cap year, resigning Big Bob probably is a no brainer, but given his small sample size of performance, just how much can you risk in a big contract with him?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never hurts to have too many quality TE's, especially in MLF's offense. However, how much can you afford to spend on Tonyan? We not only have Sternberger but also 3rd round pick Josiah Deguara. In a normal cap year, resigning Big Bob probably is a no brainer, but given his small sample size of performance, just how much can you risk in a big contract with him?

IMO you cannot. That is what sucks in our precise situation with him.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the small sample size might work to the Packers advantage. covid considerations. 2 @ 5 per? reconsider when covid affect is more known.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol
I could see Sternerger having a game or two where he is the man. And Deguara looked like a player to me. I'm happy to have all three. And I do like Mercedes while he is still playing. He is a big man. And they pretty much leave him alone for short gains, even TDs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I could see Sternerger having a game or two where he is the man.

That is my problem with Big Bob. Sure he is statistically having a very good year, but is that due to the fact that he is a top 15 TE or the offense/QB he is a part of more the factor? It could very well be a combination of both and we will have to trust that MLF and Gute will have a good idea just how much value he is.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is my problem with Big Bob. Sure he is statistically having a very good year, but is that due to the fact that he is a top 15 TE or the offense/QB he is a part of more the factor? It could very well be a combination of both and we will have to trust that MLF and Gute will have a good idea just how much value he is.
Not sure what your statistics are about. He is primarily a blocker. That is why he get open short.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure what your statistics are about. He is primarily a blocker. That is why he get open short.

Huh Tonyan? Lewis maybe, but Big Bob has had a few long catches. 2018 a 54 yarder, 2019 a 28 and this year a 45.

His average/catch is 12.5 yds. and 10.1/target. That is pretty high for a TE.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Huh Tonyan? Lewis maybe, but Big Bob has had a few long catches. 2018 a 54 yarder, 2019 a 28 and this year a 45.

Yeah I actually had a reply typed out but decided that his description of Tonyan was so off that I wasn’t sure what he was even responding to.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of his, so maybe i'm biased, but he's improved his blocking every year. I'd say he's pretty good at it now. that's one big check in the right box for a TE.

the 2nd, when he does see the ball he's often been pretty open and he catches them. That tells me he's doing the little things well in the other aspects at the very least so he gets so open because they're forgetting about him, which is what TE's have thrived off of forever. or it could mean more, he's just that good at running routes off the line he can get pretty open. Either way, those are good check marks to have as a TE.

The last one I'd like to see some more of, heavily contested catches. I've seen some, not many this year, but that's part of what made him stand out to me early on. I keep calling him an aggressive catcher :) if he can get his hands on it, you can just see the attitude, it's mine.

I think he's growing into the real deal as far as TE's go. I don't think he's a break the bank TE, but I think he's going to be pretty good.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Read it too fast. Saw Big and just thought of Mercedes. My mistake.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts