Bobby Tonyan

D

Deleted member 6794

going to be losing a lot of guys i really like, but so is every other team.

There are other teams even in a worse situation regarding the cap entering next offseason but there will be some with a ton of cap space even with the reduced cap in 2021. The Patriots and Ravens amongst them.

I think if we can’t come to a long term agreement with bahk it would make sense to franchise him. If Green Bay is 100% on Jordan love being the future of the packers then Rodgers is gone after next year no doubt in my mind if you look at the cap numbers. They could even trade him this offseason depending on how the season goes. They got a lot of people to resign they should trade Linsley now and get something more than a 3rd round pick in comp? There line is good so idk if that’s a good idea or not

Once again, the Packers using the franchise tag on Bakhtiari is mostly likely not an option. This year the move would have cost the team $16 million to put it on him, leaving that approximately $24 million above the projected cap for next season.

Gutekunst could pay him $36 million next offseason to sign a multüin Green Bay while only counting $8 million towards the cap.

It's a terrible idea to suggest the Packers should trade Rodgers to save $5 million of cap space before the start of next league year to start Love who hasn't even been able to move past Boyle on the depth chart at this point.

Graham took all the plays for a 1st string tight end and Rodgers seemed to want to throw it to him.

That makes me believe Graham was the better player and gave the team a better chance to win last season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That makes me believe Graham was the better player and gave the team a better chance to win last season.
I think it is just a conservative play. They give him a lot of money, the players on the bench are young and unproven (doesn't mean they can't play well), Rodgers is complaining all year. I think we were stuck with Graham last year. And though he made a few plays; he just was not versatile imho. It's not easy comparing last year though. We look so much tighter this year. Hopefully the defenses don't catch up to us. And I guess as long as we have versatile players; no reason not to keep chugging along.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it is just a conservative play. They give him a lot of money, the players on the bench are young and unproven (doesn't mean they can't play well), Rodgers is complaining all year. I think we were stuck with Graham last year. And though he made a few plays; he just was not versatile imho. It's not easy comparing last year though. We look so much tighter this year. Hopefully the defenses don't catch up to us. And I guess as long as we have versatile players; no reason not to keep chugging along.
They will catch up and catch on to some of the things we do, but probably makes them vulnerable to other things in the process. I also think LaFleur needs to show a couple of new tricks every week. The challenge for us will be how we adapt to what the defense is trying to do. Rodgers and LaFleur have certainly shown so far they are capable of adjusting accordingly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think that is void of possibility but we plugged Jenkins in over higher paid, we are setting Wagner whenever able.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like hanging out and training with George Kittle is paying off for him. He’s clearly emerged as the #1 Tightend in the offense, and Rodgers seems to trust him. But he too is set to become a free agent after the season. He’s on pace to have double digit touchdowns and over 700 yds receiving. Idk about you guys, but it gives me great comfort knowing that Rodgers May finally have a Tightend that you really have to account for...One of the features kinda overlooked about Tonyan is that he’s a guy who can actually run. If you watch him he gets separation easily from safeties and lbs. we’ve needed that type of presence at tightened for a long time now....makes things so much easier for the other WRs when you have to account for the Tightend.

What will the Packers do? You got Bahk and Jones already...and now you may have a budding star in Tonyan. As much as I like Bahk this is a tough call for me. As I’ve stated before....Jenkins looks the part of a Guy who can be an all pro at any position on the o line. So if they let Bahk go I don’t think it would be as big of blow to the offense as losing Jones. But at the same time Bahk is already considered the best at his position.

The Packers May have to resign Bahk, Franchise tag Jones, and Resign Tonyan during mid season while his price tag is still relatively low. Man, I’d hate to be Russ Ball and Gute right now. Some major decisions on the horizon.

Number 1 thing that is paying off for him...the quarterback really likes him and wants to see him do well

H

HardRightEdge

But why does Graham look so much better with the Bears than he did with the Packers?
Does he though?

17 catches for a 169 yds. over 5 games projects to 54 catches for 541 yds.

His 61% catch rate with 9.9 yds. per catch is a pretty bad combination, actually worse than in Green Bay. If he's running shorter routes resulting in lower yards per catch in the Chicago offense his catch rate should go up, but it hasn't. His 55 yards after catch is worse than in Green Bay as a percentage of yards receiving and we didn't see him breaking many tackles then.

Anecdotally, there was a throw to Graham in the second half of the Tampa game on an intermediate in route. As Aikman pointed out, he didn't come back to the ball and it was broken up. The route break wasn't all that crisp in the first place as he angled a bit upfield and just waited for the ball with the defender easily cutting in front of him. As strange as it may seem for a guy who was once considered an elite TE, I never saw him as a good route runner in Green Bay and maybe he never was. As elite athleticism decays and speed at the ILB position across the league has increased, these things can show up.

That leaves the TDs, 4 in 5 games for Graham this season. Those TDs have been for 2, 2, 3 and 12 yards. Two were against Atlanta, which might not be just a coincidence with Tonyan going off. Evidently Chicago has found some plays for him down by the goal line. Green Bay had several other options with a high red zone success rate last season.

I wouldn't be buying Graham for TD fantasy points any more than I would buy Tonyan based on TDs alone. You only get to play Atlanta once. You can't project those TD frequencies over a full season. The plays are too infrequent to establish some enduring pattern and the projected numbers are simply implausible regardless especially if defenses figure they better account for these guys more often, in general or situationally. Tonyan is the better bet with a much better QB, a higher scoring offense, while being light on WRs for the duration barring an acquisition. He's also the better athlete at this stage.

I started warming up to Tonyan in the latter part of last season when he started showing some good blocking. That gets him on the field more than Sternberger who is not a good blocker, at least not yet. More play, more opportunities, more money game route running experience, more money game QB chemistry, good speed and hands--it gradually has added up to a good football player in context.

But I digress. Stories of Graham's renaissance are greatly exaggerated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Tonyan had a great game against the Falcons, but lets not forget that the Falcons secondary was extremely banged up. I think they started the game with both starting Safeties out, as well as a starting CB and by the 3rd Q. they had lost both of the backup safeties, I could be wrong on both being out.

I hope this was a breakout game for Tonyan and he turns into Kittle 2.0, but I also wouldn't be shocked if we see a different version against better defenses and DC's who now will be a bit more careful with how they choose to cover him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Tonyan had a great game against the Falcons, but lets not forget that the Falcons secondary was extremely banged up. I think they started the game with both starting Safeties out, as well as a starting CB and by the 3rd Q. they had lost both of the backup safeties, I could be wrong on both being out.

You're absolutely right about that. The Falcons starting safeties Allen and Neal were out entering the game. Their backups Hawkins and Kazee both had to leave the game after playing only 26 and 21 snaps respectively.

They didn't even have two more designated safeties available.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You're absolutely right about that. The Falcons starting safeties Allen and Neal were out entering the game. Their backups Hawkins and Kazee both had to leave the game after playing only 26 and 21 snaps respectively.

They didn't even have two more designated safeties available.
Yes, we got real deep into the Falcons DB depth. It was great, almost pitiful seeing the discombobulating looks in their eyes. They had no hope against Rodgers.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hope this was a breakout game for Tonyan and he turns into Kittle 2.0, but I also wouldn't be shocked if we see a different version against better defenses and DC's who now will be a bit more careful with how they choose to cover him.

The flip side is that we were also VERY banged up at WR. With their secondary focusing on stopping Adams/MVS, Tonyan may have still run amok.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Big Bob is quietly leading the NFL in receiving touchdowns for TEs...I remember I projected him as TE1 in the offseason and someone said he would be lucky to have a roster spot :tup:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Tonyan's emergence has really cancelled out Sternberger's failure to launch as a big part of the offense. It's great to see. He's always been a good athlete, but he's really learned to play the position well.

He's probably going to finish around 700 and 10.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Big Bob is quietly leading the NFL in receiving touchdowns for TEs...I remember I projected him as TE1 in the offseason and someone said he would be lucky to have a roster spot :tup:

"Packers just announced Tonyan was signed to a 4 year $44 Million dollar deal."

How would you feel?

Big Bob is a RFA at the end of the season, so the Packers have some say as where he might play next year and beyond. But realistically, what would you do with him?
  • sign him to a decent sized contract that is based on this year?
  • Slap a 1st or 2nd round tender on him?
  • Let him walk?
  • Put a right of first refusal tender on him?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonyan rankings in regards to TE’s:

9th in total yards.

T11th in receptions.

T1st in TD’s.

13th in YAC.

T10th in first downs.

T18th in targets.

The last one is very crucial to evaluating the statistics, imo. He just isn’t being targeted as much as the other top TE’s, yet is still producing like one. He’s been very efficient. His catch % is 88%! He drops nothing.

At the same time, I can’t say I recall that many contested catches. Still, Tonyan is playing like a top 10 TE this season. Some of that is because the TE position sucks, but he’s been genuinely good.

Very nice find by GB. He’s become a player.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
"Packers just announced Tonyan was signed to a 4 year $44 Million dollar deal."

How would you feel?

Big Bob is a RFA at the end of the season, so the Packers have some say as where he might play next year and beyond. But realistically, what would you do with him?
  • sign him to a decent sized contract that is based on this year?
  • Slap a 1st or 2nd round tender on him?
  • Let him walk?
  • Put a right of first refusal tender on him?
4 years for 44 million is way too rich IMO especially in the current/future financial climate. I was thinking more along the lines of 2 years for 11 million if his production continues on it’s current track.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 years for 44 million is way too rich IMO especially in the current/future financial climate. I was thinking more along the lines of 2 years for 11 million if his production continues on it’s current track.

I too see Packers negotiating a low year count contract, could pay tick more than we want (higher than what you listed I bet), but not lock into a guy that has had one year of contributions. That would allow him a chance to possibly still play into a BIG contract but security of a somewhat solid contract now.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The best part for me is that I still see Tonyan having a big upside.
He’s an ascending player for sure. I think he’s always been seen by staff as a very good football player who just needed some time to learn the intricacies of his position. Has a similar type background and growth curve to Owen Daniels IMO.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see a two year deal. We can't lose Tonyan, knowing how long it takes to develop a halfway decent pass catching TE and having one on our team already.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts