2024 Weekly Report Card: Matt LaFleur

Reaction score
One of the things that helped the Packers win the last 2 weeks was sticking to the gameplan by persisting with the run game. I felt like ML was nervous and that transferred to the team. He wasn't confident and neither was the team. Love seemed more relaxed or confident in the 2nd half and began to trust his knee more. But the whole team seemed off from the get-go.
I think our strength is in our Run game and it’s what opens our passing game. We got down so quickly that we had to get away from what has helped us play winning football the last 2 contests. We were the #1 Rushing Offense going into Week 4 and we didn’t Rush for 100 yards Sunday. We all but abandoned our strength but we didn’t need to once it was 7-28 at the half. Even a long 6 minute drive ending in points to start quarter #3 and it’s 10-28 or 14-28; plus 1 1/2 quarters of ball.
The only way we were going to get out of our strength was to fall behind 3+ scored very early on. That’s EXACTLY what happened. I’d argue if you even hit both FG tried we’re talking 6-21. That’s not enough to abandon the Run. Then 13-28 halftime. Same thing we could’ve played ball control. It was a weird game nothing went right for near 2 quarters until the Punt Muff

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't give LaFleur anything better than a C+. We got boat raced in the 1st half and once again imo, LaFleur went too far away from the run game, especially in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I will say, his players execution on both sides of the ball was generally putrid however which put him in a bad spot. Getting down 14-0 so quickly and easily is a good reason to slow the game down with a gimpy QB. LaFleur needs Clements or one of his coaches to settle him and slow him down when things aren't going well.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Week 5 - Packers vs Rams

Another scratchy outing for MLF despite the win. Had Rams not been this injured, it would have been a L surely.

The gameplan for Love still seems to not have settled in. The initial big play to Reed has all the wow factors, but in reality it was a throw made to a receiver under triple coverage. There really was no necessity to make such a high risk throw that early in the game. Very nearly could have been an INT. Maybe it was bad decision making from Love, but he still doesn't come across being commanding.

The pass/run ratio is still off. Lots of situations where we should have used the run game more effectively were not.

Somehow he always fluffs out the time killing drives at the end. I have seen it in multiple games now where we can't sustain drive to maintain a lead and end the game comfortably. Always quick to give the ball back and hope for a big defensive play to hang on.

He also needs to have a chat with Halfley. That D needs some serious tweaking. Gary has been a non-factor till now. Passive to start and all aggressive in phases with no continuity. The linebacker support to cover for the passer rush also needs work.

We nearly have all the pieces, but they just aren't coming in together. Maybe we should just go back to basics and treat Love as we did 2nd half of last season rather than a superstar QB already. Keep the hero throws to a minimum and get the chains moving consistently.

Rating: B-

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I dunno. In what has become a bit of a recurring theme...I'm yet again left feeling like we continue to come into games a bit under-prepared and out-planned. Credit to LaFleur in that he DOES usually seem to adjust well and strengthen things up as the game wears on, but it sure would be nice to be a strong-starting team and feel like WE were the ones better-prepared and outcoaching our opponent to start the game.

Love definitely looked healthier than last week but I still feel like he doesn't quite look totally 100%. And it feels like MLF has been scheming/game planning as though he's got a 100% Love who's in his late-2023 form and that just hasn't been the case.

We are still rather undisciplined when it comes to penalties as well.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Week 5 - Packers vs Rams

Another scratchy outing for MLF despite the win. Had Rams not been this injured, it would have been a L surely.

The gameplan for Love still seems to not have settled in. The initial big play to Reed has all the wow factors, but in reality it was a throw made to a receiver under triple coverage. There really was no necessity to make such a high risk throw that early in the game. Very nearly could have been an INT. Maybe it was bad decision making from Love, but he still doesn't come across being commanding.

The pass/run ratio is still off. Lots of situations where we should have used the run game more effectively were not.

Somehow he always fluffs out the time killing drives at the end. I have seen it in multiple games now where we can't sustain drive to maintain a lead and end the game comfortably. Always quick to give the ball back and hope for a big defensive play to hang on.

He also needs to have a chat with Halfley. That D needs some serious tweaking. Gary has been a non-factor till now. Passive to start and all aggressive in phases with no continuity. The linebacker support to cover for the passer rush also needs work.

We nearly have all the pieces, but they just aren't coming in together. Maybe we should just go back to basics and treat Love as we did 2nd half of last season rather than a superstar QB already. Keep the hero throws to a minimum and get the chains moving consistently.

Rating: B-
It's still surprising to me that ML and offensive coaches can game plan beautiful games for Willis but can't do the same for Love. Is it because they still don't know what he can and can't do?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed plays with a WR open that Love does not see. The big one to Reed he had a guy wide open for an easy 15 yard pass. A much better option than deep tight double coverage.

Love isn't playing as well as he should. The OLine is not where it should be. It looks similar to last season early. Maybe such a precisely timed offense just need more reps for everyone to get on the same page.

I'm not worried, I think they will come around.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Week 5 - Packers vs Rams

What's funny to me is if we get the ball with 2:00 minutes left needing a score to win I'm fairly confident we can get it done. If we get it with 2:00 left and need to run out the clock for a win I'm not nearly as confident.

I noticed plays with a WR open that Love does not see. The big one to Reed he had a guy wide open for an easy 15 yard pass. A much better option than deep tight double coverage.
I don't think we have ever had another QB where this was a complaint have we?