2024 draft discussion thread

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw that too. Also killed were 2 of his Highschool teammates.

"Vikings rookie cornerback Khyree Jackson, the 108th overall pick in this year's NFL draft, died in a three-car crash that also killed two of his high school teammates early Saturday morning in Maryland. He was 24.

State Police said Jackson and Isaiah Hazel, 23, were pronounced dead at the scene of the crash, which occurred shortly after 3 a.m. on Route 4 in Upper Marlboro. Anthony "A.J." Lytton Jr., 24, was taken to the University of Maryland Capital Region Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Police said an early investigation found that the three were traveling in a Dodge Charger when struck by an Infiniti Q50 as its driver tried to change lanes and pass them at a high rate of speed.

The collision sent the Charger off the road, where it hit multiple tree stumps before stopping. The second car then hit a Chevrolet Impala.

Neither the Impala's driver nor the driver and two passengers in the Q50 were hurt.

Investigators said alcohol might have contributed to the crash. Police said charges were pending."

By the description, looks like the driver of the Q50 was driving like a drunk. I really liked Khyree and wanted the Packers to draft him. Very sad story. Chalk up another tragedy to drunk drivers.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yesh, there's nothing in the reports that suggest anyone in Jackson's car did anything wrong. They were out late at night, but that's normal for young men in his situation, and for all we know he was drunk as a lord but the driver was a designated driver. Sounds like the accident was entirely the fault of the other driver, so far.

It's easy to suspect there may have been drinking going on in both cars, because that certainly is often the case. But for now, we just have no way of knowing one way or the other.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the description, looks like the driver of the Q50 was driving like a drunk. I really liked Khyree and wanted the Packers to draft him. Very sad story. Chalk up another tragedy to drunk drivers.
We'll find out who had alcohol in them and how much. Everyone involved will have a tox screen completed and in a while, the police will file a report and charges will likely be brought. From the reporting, the driver of the Q50 had been drinking. It certainly sounds like that driver caused the accident. But early reports are the most unreliable.

What can't be denied is that three young people are dead. Regardless of who is at fault, that's tragic. It's also one reason I avoid driving at night now, and never at these hours after midnight. There are still way too many self-impaired drivers on the road.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a tragedy. Speaking from experience, a tragedy in a moment of joy is worse. Going from a high to a low in an instant is all the more devastating. I pray for all their families.

Jackson was a player I figured the Packers would be interested in. I wasn't happy that the Vikings selected him. I love the draft because I cheer for all the guys i think will make it big. Sadly, we will never know. Yet another reminder there are bigger and more important matters at hand, than football.

Rest in peace.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yesh, there's nothing in the reports that suggest anyone in Jackson's car did anything wrong. They were out late at night, but that's normal for young men in his situation, and for all we know he was drunk as a lord but the driver was a designated driver. Sounds like the accident was entirely the fault of the other driver, so far.

It's easy to suspect there may have been drinking going on in both cars, because that certainly is often the case. But for now, we just have no way of knowing one way or the other.
Well put and I agree. No real facts yet, just speculation. I could be wrong, but I thought I read a study that showed that even having a designated driver in a car, where the rest of the occupants are drunk, increases the potential for accidents. Basically, along the same lines of the driver being distracted by the radio, phone, etc. that driver is being distracted by the intoxicated passengers being....intoxicated people.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well put and I agree. No real facts yet, just speculation. I could be wrong, but I thought I read a study that showed that even having a designated driver in a car, where the rest of the occupants are drunk, increases the potential for accidents. Basically, along the same lines of the driver being distracted by the radio, phone, etc. that driver is being distracted by the intoxicated passengers being....intoxicated people.
That can certainly happen but I'd still much rather have somebody sober behind the wheel. A friend of mine drove the ambulance and always preached that nothing good occurs on the roads between midnight and 5 am.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That can certainly happen but I'd still much rather have somebody sober behind the wheel. A friend of mine drove the ambulance and always preached that nothing good occurs on the roads between midnight and 5 am.
I certainly trust your friend's judgement. Fortunately, I'm sound asleep during those hours. A miracle I survived my youth.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A friend of mine drove the ambulance and always preached that nothing good occurs on the roads between midnight and 5 am
You can say that again! I didn't mean to imply that having a sober driver is a bad thing. I was just saying that even with a sober driver, when the passengers are all drunk and not passed out, it can be distracting for that sober driver.

Reaction score
Terrible outcome.
It reminds me of a 30 year old Cousin we lost to a drunk driver in the 1980’s and has been impressed on me in a bad way. Avoid driving after Midnight or before Dawn timeframe. Especially on Weekends or Holidays. That alone severely reduces the risk of death in an auto accident. It’s rarely the fault of the ones who gets killed and nothing can prepare us for someone else’s intoxicated state. Schedule driving to avoid those hours unless it’s unsafe to do so.

Rest in Peace Khyree and friends. I also selected him in Rd4 in countless Mock drafts. I just Hope him and his friends were saved. But my heart goes out to them for their sadness (until they meet again if they were smart enough to accept the free invitation)

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Reaction score
The incident even got worse! Right after a candlelight vigil for Jackson and his 2 friends, another person was killed and 1 wounded.

I am so F'ing tired of gun violence!

No joke. I’m getting tired of any violence. I don’t care what instrument is used. A car. A bomb. A knife. A gun. Drugs (alcohol is a deadly drug) Our bare hands for that matter. We have a much larger problem than 1 aspect of violence. Khyree was murdered by an automobile. We shouldn’t ban automobiles. We can and should mitigate these things, but mark my words, until we quit ignoring the source we’ll see much more and much broader stories like these. This is what man gets for pushing God out of our country. We used to be blessed but now we are seeing the fruits of all the lies. It’s not working I’m not sure if you guys see it but it’s pretty clear to my family across 5 States. We can start by quit hating on one another.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The News doesn't get any better for the Vikings. Jordan Addison was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence. Not a smart look when your teammate was just killed in what is believed to be an alcohol influenced crash.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The News doesn't get any better for the Vikings. Jordan Addison was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence. Not a smart look when your teammate was just killed in what is believed to be an alcohol influenced crash.

Addison had already been cited for reckless driving after being clocked at 140 mph. Now a DUI on the heels of his teammates death in an accident at 2am.

I get that these guys are young and suddenly rich. But a little commons sense isn't too much to ask. And asleep behind the wheel blocking a freeway lane?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Addison had already been cited for reckless driving after being clocked at 140 mph. Now a DUI on the heels of his teammates death in an accident at 2am.

I get that these guys are young and suddenly rich. But a little commons sense isn't too much to ask. And asleep behind the wheel blocking a freeway lane?
When finalizing your draft board and picking "X" player ahead od a dozen other guyts who other teams might have grabbed at that slot, it's wise to consider intangibles such as the character of a particular player.

Admittedly, this was an area where we could have done much better over a number of years, but it does not seem to be an issue under curremt management. Gutekunst makes it no secret that character is at least every bit as critical a factor in Green Bay as talent and athleticism.

The Vikings have never seemed to learn the importance of this - going all the way back to the "Love Boat" disaster.

Probably even further back, in the late 70s and early 80s when I used to hang out at Eddie Webster's on the Bloomington Strip, and Mother Tuckers, Howard Wong's, and the Rusty Scupper. You couldn't swing a dead cat without smacking at least 3 or 4 blind-drunk Vikings in the face. The team never gave a crap.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When finalizing your draft board and picking "X" player ahead od a dozen other guyts who other teams might have grabbed at that slot, it's wise to consider intangibles such as the character of a particular player.

Admittedly, this was an area where we could have done much better over a number of years, but it does not seem to be an issue under curremt management. Gutekunst makes it no secret that character is at least every bit as critical a factor in Green Bay as talent and athleticism.

The Vikings have never seemed to learn the importance of this - going all the way back to the "Love Boat" disaster.

Probably even further back, in the late 70s and early 80s when I used to hang out at Eddie Webster's on the Bloomington Strip, and Mother Tuckers, Howard Wong's, and the Rusty Scupper. You couldn't swing a dead cat without smacking at least 3 or 4 blind-drunk Vikings in the face. The team never gave a crap.
Yeah that's a top-down problem for some teams, and it seems like the Queens haven't shaken it. I don't remember when the Love Boat scandal broke. I think Culpepper was the starting QB. And that's one reason why the Queens have zero Lombardis. They come close many times, but just don't have the "it" factor to get through the season.

And good point on taking players with (perceived) high character. I only qualify it because that can be hard to determine with relatively short exposure to a player. That's one reason why I was stunned when Cleveland threw all that money at D. Watson, then a known commodity. I mean the guy just screamed "deviant" and has never come close to being a franchise QB. And even if he was a franchise QB, just not the kinda guy I'd want on my team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Bears finally signed both of their first round picks, Caleb Williams and Rome Odunze. I really have to shake my head at what the #1 picks in the draft have been receiving. Sure, inflation and all, but just Wow! Over a 9 year period, the contract value has gone up $14M and each year the signing bonus (guaranteed money) has climbed about $1M/year.

I guess when you are the NFL and are able to basically print your own money, it doesn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things for them.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Speaking of money and NFL profits. IF anyone is worried about the financial state of the NFL and its 32 teams, don't be.

This is just crazy. The NFL likely split almost $13 billion amongst every team in the league.

I enjoyed the final comment the most:

"Does the sheer, unfiltered greed ever stop? We might never find this out about America’s most popular sports league. Or at least that won’t happen any time soon."

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of money and NFL profits. IF anyone is worried about the financial state of the NFL and its 32 teams, don't be.

This is just crazy. The NFL likely split almost $13 billion amongst every team in the league.

I enjoyed the final comment the most:

"Does the sheer, unfiltered greed ever stop? We might never find this out about America’s most popular sports league. Or at least that won’t happen any time soon."

I don't think it's "unfiltered greed". The NFL is just pricing at what the market will pay. I'm sure a similar analysis would show how crazy team valuations have gotten over the last, say 10 years. People love the sport and everything about it. For the owners who can afford it, owning a team has been a great investment.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For the owners who can afford it, owning a team has been a great investment.
Don't tell anyone this, but I think the 538,967 stockholders of the Packers, that hold the 5,204,625 shares of the Packers, are getting the same return on their investment as someone that holds no shares.
I don't think it's "unfiltered greed". The NFL is just pricing at what the market will pay.
Whatever makes you comfortable to say. :rolleyes:

I will keep calling it unfiltered greed, until the NFL's monopoly like status is somehow toppled.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't tell anyone this, but I think the 538,967 stockholders of the Packers, that hold the 5,204,625 shares of the Packers, are getting the same return on their investment as someone that holds no shares.

Whatever makes you comfortable to say. :rolleyes:

I will keep calling it unfiltered greed, until the NFL's monopoly like status is somehow toppled.
Yeah those Packer shares are worth a fortune, eh? I still don't get how that works, other than that the whole idea of a community-owned team is bogus. Stockholders are entitled to share the profits, or to a more valuable stock price, in any other market. The point is, team values have skyrocketed.

As for greed, unfiltered or not, it's in the eye of the beholder. The NFL is definitely a monopoly, but it seems fans and advertisers are still willing to pay more than what they are asked to pay by the monopolists. That's called scalping if you want to buy a ticket to a game in GB. For the teams, those are profits left on the table. Some monopoly. And the advertisers and streaming platforms fight with each other to pay the NFL for the right to broadcast their games.

There's still greed, but it seems to me it's the advertisers/streamers who are greedy, and the scalpers. As for advertisers/streamers, the NFL is just happy they compete with each other and then take the highest price. Anyway, it's not a one-sided proposition.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's called scalping if you want to buy a ticket to a game in GB. For the teams, those are profits left on the table. Some monopoly. And the advertisers and streaming platforms fight with each other to pay the NFL for the right to broadcast their games.

There's still greed, but it seems to me it's the advertisers/streamers who are greedy, and the scalpers. As for advertisers/streamers, the NFL is just happy they compete with each other and then take the highest price. Anyway, it's not a one-sided proposition.

You are deflecting from the fact here, the fact that the NFL is the heart and soul of all this gluttony. Almost like you are trying to make the NFL appear to be a victim? Who do you think is at the heart of negotiations when it comes to setting the price on what networks pay for the rights to broadcast/stream NFL games?

The $13B in profits that the NFL split up between teams is separate from what networks, streamers, online media, ticket resellers, etc. profited through their association with the NFL.

The NFL is a big money making machine, selling the only drug of its kind, to millions of addicts. It's dealers are taking advantage of the demand yes, but ultimately the greed starts with the NFL.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are deflecting from the fact here, the fact that the NFL is the heart and soul of all this gluttony. Almost like you are trying to make the NFL appear to be a victim? Who do you think is at the heart of negotiations when it comes to setting the price on what networks pay for the rights to broadcast/stream NFL games?

The $13B in profits that the NFL split up between teams is separate from what networks, streamers, online media, ticket resellers, etc. profited through their association with the NFL.

The NFL is a big money making machine, selling the only drug of its kind, to millions of addicts. It's dealers are taking advantage of the demand yes, but ultimately the greed starts with the NFL.
You make a lot of (incorrect) assumptions about what I'm saying. As for the topic, you are making a distinction without a difference. You use a lot of words and say nothing. Arguing for the sake of arguing, without a point, is just lazy.

Just like CW. Ugh.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You make a lot of (incorrect) assumptions about what I'm saying. As for the topic, you are making a distinction without a difference. You use a lot of words and say nothing. Arguing for the sake of arguing, without a point, is just lazy.

Just like CW. Ugh.

Who's CW?

The topic was simple, the NFL made over $13B last season. I agreed with the article that called it unfiltered greed. You jumped in and started saying "yeah, but look at these people, they are the greedy ones, not the NFL, the NFL is just happy to have them competing for their product." :rolleyes:

You call it "arguing", I call it pointing out facts and a healthy debate. If I made incorrect assumptions, than tell me what your point is, be clear. Debating anything is natural, but pretty hard to do when one side cowers and says "oh just stop, you don't understand me, you are are using words that don't say anything to me."

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't know the stats, but it seems that when there are driving accidents involving alcohol and people dying, the people drinking are the ones to survive.

Then again, maybe that's punishment enough. Expensive lesson though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts