2023 Free Agents around the league, news and signings.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider Lamar to be a great addition even if it wouldn't take a ton of draft compensation to acquire him.
LOL whatever man, he’s one of the best there is presently, NOT at all the type of QB I want on a team but i was merely providing example of good players that just dont make sense to go after - Baker being the one brought up.

D

Deleted member 6794

LOL whatever man, he’s one of the best there is presently, NOT at all the type of QB I want on a team but i was merely providing example of good players that just dont make sense to go after - Baker being the one brought up.

I disagree that Lamar is currently one of the best quarterbacks in the league. He's definitely a threat to run it, especially on a team that excels at rushing the ball but he's not a great passer.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree that Lamar is currently one of the best quarterbacks in the league. He's definitely a threat to run it, especially on a team that excels at rushing the ball but he's not a great passer.

LOL I'm sorry the only knock on Lamar is availability. Every single stat essentially supports the claim he is one of the best QBs in the league. Easily a Top 10 without even thinking, and in many ways easily argued Top 6 or so...

D

Deleted member 6794

LOL I'm sorry the only knock on Lamar is availability. Every single stat essentially supports the claim he is one of the best QBs in the league. Easily a Top 10 without even thinking, and in many ways easily argued Top 6 or so...

It seems that the Ravens and every other team in the league for that matter currently agree that Lamar shouldn't be paid like a top quarterback. That makes me believe a lot of front office executives agree with my take on him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lamar is incredibly talented. In the right situation he can obviously be pretty productive. Without a strong run game to drive the offense, I think he's an average passer at best. he's an electric runner when both are working. When it's not, I think he'll be injured every year. he'll have some highlights, but I don't think it will sustain for a season. A guy like him, i'd be very hesitant to offer a long guaranteed contract.

I'd do a short one, I'd do lots of incentives, i'd go longer with options to pay more money or have outs if injuries start to add up or take their toll on his athleticism. But no way am I giving him what he's been seeking. I don't think he's that good of a QB. I think he plays on a team with a defense and an offensive style that fit him perfectly.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems that the Ravens and every other team in the league for that matter currently agree that Lamar shouldn't be paid like a top quarterback. That makes me believe a lot of front office executives agree with my take on him.

LOL so when he is finally signed for a top or top 3 at worst type level contract I can magically then claim to be right solely because of the ink on a paper.....in the words of Cris Carter: "C'MON MAN!!!!"

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Meanwhile, the Eagles had no problem stepping up and making Jalen Hurts the highest paid player ever (for now, at least). I wonder if or how this will impact Jackson's thinking or his situation...But then, the argument can be made that Hurts, still early in his career, has already taken his team to the Super Bowl.

How it works out from here we'll see - Aaron Rodgers also took his team to the Big Game pretty early on, and then never again. Not all of that is on him, but some of it is.

Lemar Jackson, meanwhile...Not a lot of playoff success to boast about. Pretty good player though.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Meanwhile, the Eagles had no problem stepping up and making Jalen Hurts the highest paid player ever (for now, at least). I wonder if or how this will impact Jackson's thinking or his situation...But then, the argument can be made that Hurts, still early in his career, has already taken his team to the Super Bowl.

How it works out from here we'll see - Aaron Rodgers also took his team to the Big Game pretty early on, and then never again. Not all of that is on him, but some of it is.

Lemar Jackson, meanwhile...Not a lot of playoff success to boast about. Pretty good player though.
Totally agree. We are seeing this every year with at least one, if not more positions. It seems to be all about "I want to be the top paid player at my position." The QB salaries are getting so skewed, that I'm nervous as to what Love will want, even if his 2023 season is just average. No doubt the Packers will pick up his 5th year option. Supply and demand economics and knowing just how important, and just how limited the supply of proven top QB's there are, is going to put almost every team in that bind sooner or later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is what a team, that is in the hunt to win another Super Bowl does.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

LOL so when he is finally signed for a top or top 3 at worst type level contract I can magically then claim to be right solely because of the ink on a paper.....in the words of Cris Carter: "C'MON MAN!!!!"

I don't believe any team will sign Lamar to a contract that will make him one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the league though.

I believe the Eagles made a mistake signing Hurts to that deal as well.

The QB salaries are getting so skewed, that I'm nervous as to what Love will want, even if his 2023 season is just average. No doubt the Packers will pick up his 5th year option.

I don't consider it to be a smart idea to fully guarantee more than $20 million to a completely unproven player. Especially as he won't play under the fifth year option if he shows enough promise anyway.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lamar is incredibly talented. In the right situation he can obviously be pretty productive. Without a strong run game to drive the offense, I think he's an average passer at best. he's an electric runner when both are working. When it's not, I think he'll be injured every year. he'll have some highlights, but I don't think it will sustain for a season. A guy like him, i'd be very hesitant to offer a long guaranteed contract.

I'd do a short one, I'd do lots of incentives, i'd go longer with options to pay more money or have outs if injuries start to add up or take their toll on his athleticism. But no way am I giving him what he's been seeking. I don't think he's that good of a QB. I think he plays on a team with a defense and an offensive style that fit him perfectly.
That is the best explanation. He gets injured and will continue to do so unless he and some team decides to change his game.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe any team will sign Lamar to a contract that will make him one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the league though.

Okay I'm going to need you to say what you think would be one of the highest Top 5? Top 7? Top 10? I wouldn't say anything lower but what is your opinion to consider someone one of the highest?

Reaction score
Is anyone else shocked that the Jets haven't signed Jake Kumerow? Rodgers said this about him, right before the Packers released him in 2020.

“Jake Kumerow has been such a solid performer for us for the last couple years. I love his reliability. I think he’s a fantastic, steady player who’s very heady on the field, he makes plays. He plays with a lot of confidence, and he’s a guy you love having on the squad,”

I guess a guy that caught 20 balls in 2 seasons made a huge impression on A-Rod. Then he went to Buffalo and in 3 seasons, caught 7 balls. :rolleyes: and some wonder why the Packers have tried to maintain control of personnel decisions.
Caveman are simple creatures of habit.
Jake had made approximately $185K for each ball he’s caught in the NFL. Not too shabby for a Neanderballer

D

Deleted member 6794

Okay I'm going to need you to say what you think would be one of the highest Top 5? Top 7? Top 10? I wouldn't say anything lower but what is your opinion to consider someone one of the highest?

I would consider a quarterback among the top 10 in average salary to be one of the highest paid. With Burrow, Herbert and Tagovailoa expected to receive new contracts this offseason as well Lamar would need to rank within the top 7 if he signs a new one before any of them though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would consider a quarterback among the top 10 in average salary to be one of the highest paid. With Burrow, Herbert and Tagovailoa expected to receive new contracts this offseason as well Lamar would need to rank within the top 7 if he signs a new one before any of them though.

Well guess we wait and see what happens - appreciate the response to know the level.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I thought Lamar wasn't getting signed because he didn't have an agent to negotiate for him. He doesn't know what he is doing, so he is asking too much.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought Lamar wasn't getting signed because he didn't have an agent to negotiate for him. He doesn't know what he is doing, so he is asking too much.

While there's definitely some truth to that I truly believe that most front offices don't consider Lamar to be an elite passer. That's why not a single team has agreed to an offer sheet with him either.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While there's definitely some truth to that I truly believe that most front offices don't consider Lamar to be an elite passer. That's why not a single team has agreed to an offer sheet with him either.
The two first round draft choices may also have something to do with it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Packers want to kick the tires on a familiar name and they could get him back in GB for a reasonable price, Casey is on the FA market.

Reaction score
If the Packers want to kick the tires on a familiar name and they could get him back in GB for a reasonable price, Casey is on the FA market.

If he wanted to do a 1yr deal a little over Vet minimum to retire with us, I’d love to have him. Casey could also help us lower the CB need right now. Plus you can never have enough experienced CB’s.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If he wanted to do a 1yr deal a little over Vet minimum to retire with us, I’d love to have him.
Agree. His age as well as his injury last year and the fact that so far he has failed his physical, should keep his cost low. Having a CB room of Alexander, Stokes, Hayward and Douglas, would be pretty sweet.

Reaction score
Agree. His age as well as his injury last year and the fact that so far he has failed his physical, should keep his cost low. Having a CB room of Alexander, Stokes, Hayward and Douglas, would be pretty sweet.
Yeah. Part of what I like is it pushes any need down at CB, which allows us to really key at other positions.
We have both Quay and Devondre locked up together for at least 4 seasons, which is amazing. Our need at LB is lower. So CB LB is low priority.
A Casey signing also makes sense because it doesn’t pull from future compensatory selections.
Lazard ($11M)
Jarren Reed ($4.5M)
Dean Lowry (4.25Mil) and
Tonyan (2.65M)
That’s very likely 4 future comp picks coming our way. There’s a 50/50 chance we’d get a 2024 draft pick for Rodgers. It starts bringing next draft into focus
(purely hypothetical at 7-10)

#9 1st
#41 2nd
#72 3rd
#88 (Rodgers trade est.)
#113 4th
#144 5th
#169 (Lazard comp)
#186 6th
#211 (Reed comp)
#212 (Lowry comp)
#252 (Tonyan Comp)

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. I do not think CB is a position of need. IMO.
2. IMO. Currently the Pack is closer to receiving 2 comp picks than they are to 4.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts