Three Positions Gute Has To Target EARLY in 2025 Draft

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So with a quarter of the 2024 season having come and left....the earliest (still premature) directional growth or stagnation (or death...) are becoming visible.

First, let's not even use Corner as one of these three...everyone with half a football brain cell knows it - barring a massive change down the stretch by say a King coming in or Stokes waking up or Nixon doing something...my money is ******* CB in the first round of the 2025 draft.

Cornerback - I would argue that 2025 the need for cornerback will be as high as it arguably has been since maybe a decade ago. Unlike last year where we had a promising Valentine, a hopefully healthy and coming back Stokes, an energized Jaire and for some reason a team hopeful Nixon is good......2025 unless something big turns around we won't have Stokes as part of the discussion (he isn't playing good enough for more than a one year deal that is CHEAP), Nixon has time and time again been the weak link team's target and Jaire for another year cannot stay healthy. Yes, Jaire is really really good typically when he is healthy - worst case he is a clear starting CB anywhere (whether a teams' CB1 or CB2). But truthfully after that Valentine is the clear next best and everyone knows I love the kid but still we have to have more.

BUT here are three positions I think folks may not like to hear we need to target but we really should in the first two days of the 2025 draft...

Defensive Line...I understood why we passed on some guys I really liked in 2024 along the trenches...Wooden and Brooks both showed promise as rookies, Slaton played amazing in 2023 with more snaps and Wyatt was finally starting to come into his own....however resting on our laurels and expecting Kenny to continue to play at elite or just below level simply isn't happening. Slaton has not played up to a new contract offer IMO, especially because Brooks and Wooden in limited snaps appear to be ready for a more action (Brooks especially) and Wyatt is finally coming into his own. HOWEVER, also a big piece is folks Kenny Clarke is starting to slow....yes he is incredibly young still really chronologically but 2025 would be his tenth season folks, that body has seen a lot of NFL snaps. Getting a high level (first or second round type) guy that can be an absolute wrecking ball in the middle and force this team to ask if Clark is still the best there would instantly make this team better across ALL aspects of the defense. We have the pressure guys that seem special at that in Wyatt and Brooks along the inside...get me a high level run and pass type player like Clark has been for so long (until this year).
Some of my favorite early interior DL prospects - Mason Graham - Michigan, Tyleik Williams - Ohio State, TJ Sanders - South Carolina, Dontay Corleone - Cincy, Kenneth Grant - Michigan

Off Ball Linebacker
...Most know this is also a need like CB but we also know positional value isn't there for here BUT we have McDuffie in a contract year...we have Eric Wilson in a contract year (yes logic says one or both may be cheap resigns) BUT this team needs to push the gas pedal and find the future pairing with Cooper who is the future. Quay has another year, 2025, to possibly play himself into a role for the future but this cannot be banked on as he simply has laid down three years that say good but not great off ball linebacker...that literally leaves us essentially with Cooper and guys we want around for depth. Now I think we should strive to get Evan Williams and Javon Bullard both in more with X - and one way to do this is play Evan more in that hybrid box/safety role he's done a lot in college, but we NEED a off ball linebacker and I'd love to see Gute do the ole' one early and one late plan of attack here like he's done on some positions before.
Some of my favorite off ball backers right now that may need a top 100 pick - Jamon Dumas-Johnson - Kentucky, Danny Stutsman - Oklahoma, Lander Barton - Utah, Harold Perkins - LSU (dude is an all over chess piece), Barrett Carter - Clemson

Tight End
- Musgrave at most is only ever going to be a receiving option...when he is in every team knows its' a key or tendency that he is NOT going to be asked to be a lead blocker unless GB wants to fail. Sims is a TE3 at most. Getting another high level TE wouldn't just push this position forward, it also acts as a buffer to the influx that is bound to hit the WR room at some point in the coming years - stabilizing this position with a TE option now defends against WR issues possibly having a rippling effect.
Some of my favorite Tight Ends to compliment Kraft that for sure deserve a top 100 pick - Colston Loveland - Michigan, Oronde Gadsden - Syracuse (little bit of a Musgrave 2.0 type), Harold Fannin - Bowling Green, Mitchell Evans - Notre Dame.