PFF Grades Week 7 vs Texans Best and Worst

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10 snaps minimum to be here and as always take the grades for what you want...

BEST OFFENSE
Romeo Doubs - 76.4 - what he did against Stingley cannot be understated folks....
Zach Tom - 72.6 - if he hadn't given up that one sack he easily breaks 80 I bet...
Jordan Love - 72.2 - when he was good he was VERY good
Ben Sims - 69.6...I questioned whether we could get by with Sims but in many ways (all things not route running) he is as good or better than Musgrave.
Dontayvion Wicks - 68.5

WORST OFFENSE
Jayden Reed - 40.1 - I don't think he was fully healthy on that ankle....
Christian Watson - 53.3 - this is lies IMO...he blocked his *** off.
Rasheed Walker - 55.6
Sean Rhyan - 56
Tucker Kraft - 56.8

*Folks the fact our worst offense were near 60s means it was honestly a pretty solid game usually.

BEST DEFENSE
Eric Wilson - 82.7 - he played good but as I said in the game thread many of his plays were made by amazing play of others playing team defense (Cooper, Clark and Gary...)
Quay Walker - 76.8
Rashan Gary - 74.0 - even take away his sack and HE PLAYED UNFIRE
Xavier McKinney - 69.1
Javon Bullard - 66.1 - quietly had one of his most complete games IMO as a rookie

WORST DEFENSE
Lukas Van Ness - 30.2 - I said in the game thread he is such a BIG OR TINY guy....at times he looks like an all pro...and then is washed out.
Edgerrin Cooper - 34.4 - I saw this coming, was by far and above his worst, BUT folks understand he was simply in there, no longer playing situational snaps.
TJ Slaton - 35.1 - Slaton making my case for drafting a top 100 DL prospect plugger...
Preston Smith - 37.5 - his first bad game this year IMO
Colby Wooden - 55.5

*Evan Williams all DOMINATED everything except coverage grade. He got juiced a couple times but man...his run defense and tacking grades were best on the team FYI

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom goes to push the defender around behind the QB and Love just kept dropping back. The 2 met.
Yup for sure, OL never expect that angle to result in a sack or connection with the QB. 100% and I believe it was Romo who even quickly said that’s one he would have assigned blame to himself

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score

BEST OFFENSE
Romeo Doubs - 76.4 - what he did against Stingley cannot be understated folks....
Awesome game by Doubs. I hope the whole missing practice and suspension thing was just a blimp on the radar. I'd like to see this guys stick around. Clearly the #2 behind Reed and I'd argue they bounce back and forth between being the #1.
Ben Sims - 69.6...I questioned whether we could get by with Sims but in many ways (all things not route running) he is as good or better than Musgrave.
Musgrave is doing what he did in college. He is injured all the time. Kraft has clearly moved to the #1 spot and has for awhile. I also agree on Sims. he is much better at blocking and when he has had his opportunities, which hasn't been a lot, he has caught the ball. I fear Musgrave is a bust. At the very least, just a dude.
Dontayvion Wicks - 68.5
Awesome catch for the TD. Glad he was back after injury.
WORST OFFENSE
I get these are just algorithms, but I don't agree on these. Reed is starting to be the guy that defenses want to take away. Watson does block his *** off and he is the deep threat. He has an impact on moving the defense to free up other players. That affects his volume a lot.
Tucker Kraft - 56.8
I'm surprised Kraft is so low. That TD catch was some ridiculous concentration.
BEST DEFENSE
Eric Wilson - 82.7 - he played good but as I said in the game thread many of his plays were made by amazing play of others playing team defense (Cooper, Clark and Gary...)
Awesome game and I'm glad he is getting his opportunities. The less I see of Isaiah McDuffie the better. I'd much rather see Wilson and Cooper on the field.
For whatever reason, this game he seemed to play with his hair on fire. Hopefully this trend can continue.
Xavier McKinney - 69.1
Is this guy the best defensive free agent signing? I'd say Henry is the best offensive free agent signing, but McKinney might be the best overall. Also, Jacobs is having a quiet awesome year as well.
WORST DEFENSE
Lukas Van Ness - 30.2 - I said in the game thread he is such a BIG OR TINY guy....at times he looks like an all pro...and then is washed out.
This grade I agree with. The eye ball test says the same. I don't know about this guy. When he is on the field I don't see him doing much.
Edgerrin Cooper - 34.4 - I saw this coming, was by far and above his worst, BUT folks understand he was simply in there, no longer playing situational snaps.
As stated above, I will take him all day long over McDuffie.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tucker actually had one of his worst blocking game IMO when I've rewatched the All22. Not bad, and would actually be good likely to a guy like Musgrave, but he did for sure struggle most of the game...I suspect that nagging injury which limited him during the week is to blame.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gonna try and track it down myself, but someone else might have it faster...how many snaps did Quay have above the 10-snap minimum? Maybe he did not go out as early as I thought...?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

BEST OFFENSE
Zach Tom - 72.6 - if he hadn't given up that one sack he easily breaks 80 I bet...
Jordan Love - 72.2 - when he was good he was VERY good
Dontayvion Wicks - 68.5

WORST OFFENSE
Rasheed Walker - 55.6
Sean Rhyan - 56
Tucker Kraft - 56.8

*Folks the fact our worst offense were near 60s means it was honestly a pretty solid game usually.

BEST DEFENSE
Quay Walker - 76.8
Xavier McKinney - 69.1
Javon Bullard - 66.1 - quietly had one of his most complete games IMO as a rookie

WORST DEFENSE
TJ Slaton - 35.1 - Slaton making my case for drafting a top 100 DL prospect plugger...
Preston Smith - 37.5 - his first bad game this year IMO
Colby Wooden - 55.5

*Evan Williams all DOMINATED everything except coverage grade. He got juiced a couple times but man...his run defense and tacking grades were best on the team FYI
I agree with the drafting a plugger again. What also punched our DL was Mixon. We get in on him and had angles but he broke tackles and got through. He IS a top notch back. Fortunately, no one else hurt us.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome game by Doubs. I hope the whole missing practice and suspension thing was just a blimp on the radar. I'd like to see this guys stick around. Clearly the #2 behind Reed and I'd argue they bounce back and forth between being the #1.

Musgrave is doing what he did in college. He is injured all the time. Kraft has clearly moved to the #1 spot and has for awhile. I also agree on Sims. he is much better at blocking and when he has had his opportunities, which hasn't been a lot, he has caught the ball. I fear Musgrave is a bust. At the very least, just a dude.

Awesome catch for the TD. Glad he was back after injury.

I get these are just algorithms, but I don't agree on these. Reed is starting to be the guy that defenses want to take away. Watson does block his *** off and he is the deep threat. He has an impact on moving the defense to free up other players. That affects his volume a lot.

Awesome game and I'm glad he is getting his opportunities. The less I see of Isaiah McDuffie the better. I'd much rather see Wilson and Cooper on the field.

For whatever reason, this game he seemed to play with his hair on fire. Hopefully this trend can continue.

Is this guy the best defensive free agent signing? I'd say Henry is the best offensive free agent signing, but McKinney might be the best overall. Also, Jacobs is having a quiet awesome year as well.

This grade I agree with. The eye ball test says the same. I don't know about this guy. When he is on the field I don't see him doing much.

As stated above, I will take him all day long over McDuffie.
Hafley has to decide what Ness is supposed to do. His role appears limited or undefined. And some players NEED reps to get consistent l. Remember this is a high draft pick. High draft picks are meant to be impact players. The Packers knew how they intended to use Matthews or Hawk when they were drafted. Maybe Van Ness was not meant for this 4-3.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Van Ness was not meant for this 4-3.

I don't think this is a scheme issue. If we were still in a 3-4, he'd be an OLB in a similar mold as Gary.

IMHO, Van Ness isn't a good edge rusher today. He sets a pretty good edge and otherwise plays the run well, but he doesn't have something in his pass rush to hang his hat on. He's strong and reasonably quick, but I don't see a second move.

Honestly, neither Gary or LVN have the absurd bend to that CM3 did to win around the edge, but they don't have to. Both are larger and stronger, but neither seem to rush to their physical talents. Some of that could week to week rush plans, but I'd ideally want both of them to be willing, able, and practiced at flipping an outside rush and coming inside the tackle once they get the them to set to the outside, but I see it so infrequently. Gary tends to win more, but he's the bigger athletic freak.