Packers Hire New Defensive Coordinator: Jeff Hafley, formerly Head Coach, Boston College

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you play soft, its nearly impossible to stop a team from scoring on the last drive of the first half or game. It's hard enough to stop a team when they have 3 downs but when they are in a 4 down situation, a soft defense is always going to give up the play to keep the chains moving. Having an attack defense is especially appropriate when the offense can stay on the field and keep a healthy time of possession. That philosophy isn't new. Lombardi's defenses played attack mode. They gave up big plays but took the ball away consistently and had a lot of sacks and tackles for loss.
It was maddening watching the defense on 3rd and say, 8 or 9 yards. The corners would start out across from the WRs at the LOS. Then they would slowly start to back up until they were standing right in front of the first down markers. The QB would complete an easy slant for 5 yards, the receiver would get another 2 or 3 yards, setting up 4th and 1.

If the ball is anywhere between the 40 yard markers, the opponent is going for it on 4th and 1, with a very high success rate. Next thing, they are in the red zone and a TD or the occasional FG are imminent.

Hopefully, that's in the past and the D is going to be looking for people to punch in the mouth.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They certainly did.
I love watching NFL films from the Lombardi Era. The blocking was superlative but the defense played with its hair on fire. Wood and Adderly were tremendous and Jordan and Davis didn't waste any time getting in the backfield. They gave up big plays but what they did frequently is break open a close games with sacks and interceptions. It could be 10-10 in the third quarter and the next thing you knew the defense would create a scoring burst and the game would end 31-10.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love watching NFL films from the Lombardi Era. The blocking was superlative but the defense played with its hair on fire. Wood and Adderly were tremendous and Jordan and Davis didn't waste any time getting in the backfield. They gave up big plays but what they did frequently is break open a close games with sacks and interceptions. It could be 10-10 in the third quarter and the next thing you knew the defense would create a scoring burst and the game would end 31-10.
And that's why that old saying is pretty much true - defense wins championships. Now a great offense will get a team to the playoffs. From there though, it's the team with the best D that usually takes home the Lombardi.

I don't recall the source now so take it FWIW. There have been six times when the SB pitted the #1 offense against the #1 defense. The team with the #1 defense won 5 of the 6 games. The only exception was one of the Joe Montana Niners teams. That source is a few years old too so it may have changed. The point remains the same.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was maddening watching the defense on 3rd and say, 8 or 9 yards. The corners would start out across from the WRs at the LOS. Then they would slowly start to back up until they were standing right in front of the first down markers. The QB would complete an easy slant for 5 yards, the receiver would get another 2 or 3 yards, setting up 4th and 1.

If the ball is anywhere between the 40 yard markers, the opponent is going for it on 4th and 1, with a very high success rate. Next thing, they are in the red zone and a TD or the occasional FG are imminent.

Hopefully, that's in the past and the D is going to be looking for people to punch in the mouth.
The Lions did that to us a few years ago in that game in which we had a chance to get the wild card. Really hurt us.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And they did it to some of the top QBs in the game; Unitas, Tarkenton, Gabriel, Ryan, Tittle, Brodie, Plum, Layne, and Meredith. When you watch pre-Lombardi Packer films you see not only their defenses out of position but they lacked the intensity of his teams.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that's why that old saying is pretty much true - defense wins championships. Now a great offense will get a team to the playoffs. From there though, it's the team with the best D that usually takes home the Lombardi.

I don't recall the source now so take it FWIW. There have been six times when the SB pitted the #1 offense against the #1 defense. The team with the #1 defense won 5 of the 6 games. The only exception was one of the Joe Montana Niners teams. That source is a few years old too so it may have changed. The point remains the same.
They called that the Irresistible Force against the Immovable Object.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They called that the Irresistible Force against the Immovable Object.
Yeah that's pretty much it! To bring it home for a minute, the Packers haven't had a very good D for a very long time, like their last SB in 2011. I really hope that the changes to the defensive side, and there have been a LOT of them this offseason, pay big dividends for the Packers.

Even a great offense will get worn down if it has to be the primary way a game is won. There should be balance between all three units - something that made all those Patriot teams so great.

And at least for me, a good defense is fun to watch. Coaching and personnel have been addressed so it's time to put that into action.

Reaction score
I really hope we get the 2019 Ohio State version of Hafley as a Coach. The Buckeyes had what I’d call a stifling Defense. They were averaging 12.5 points allowed going into their Bowl game, where they allowed a Season high 29 points in a 6 point loss to #2 rated Clemson. Even then, across 14 games, they allowed just 13.7 points per game. That is Georgia Bulldog Championship type strong

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One interesting observation: the Packers defensive woes have transcended numerous coordinators and numerous defensive schemes.

One thing has been constant through all this, though: the Packers have never really emphasized LB play, high end LBs who can stop the run.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One interesting observation: the Packers defensive woes have transcended numerous coordinators and numerous defensive schemes.

One thing has been constant through all this, though: the Packers have never really emphasized LB play, high end LBs who can stop the run.
I expected to see 3 linebackers. One in the middle and the two others on either side. An old style look. I didn't see that. They would still have been in a position to pass protect as needed.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Quay Walker and Edgerrin Cooper are exceptions to this as 1st and 2nd rounders respectively. But yes starting McDuffie and Wilson is far less than ideal

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah and considering that today's LBs are tall, rangy, and fast, they pose a threat to the run and pass game. I've been pretty underwhelmed with Walker's play. McDuffie is barely better than JAG. Cooper looks promising. Now get the three of them on the field at the same time, that may have a positive impact.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or get rag dolled and let barkley run like a deer. Is this 1982? lol
Barkley did run like a deer, and on a sloppy, sloppy field. He did get better OL play than the Packers, but the guy is just an athletic freak. Not quite Christian McAffery, but not far behind.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I always felt it was the DL. But not now. The DL can be pretty good. You are correct. Run stopping LBs have not been our forte. Desmond Bishop comes to mind. But no Ray Lewis or Ray Nitschke in sight.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always felt it was the DL. But not now. The DL can be pretty good. You are correct. Run stopping LBs have not been our forte. Desmond Bishop comes to mind. But no Ray Lewis or Ray Nitschke in sight.
They've had LBs who made a lot of tackles - AJ Hawk comes to mind and another guy they traded to the Giants whose name escapes me, but a lot of those tackles were made after gains. I think getting Cooper healthy and on the field will help a lot. And Walker has just not played up to draft status. He's gotten better, but he's not a Pro Bowl or All Pro guy.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I've been avoiding posting post-game thoughts. I recognize the Eagles are nobody's slouch - a team with a lot of talent and I want to make sure I make clear that I believe they deserved to win ... that it wasn't a matter of the Packers just "running out of time". The Iggles just plain executed better when it mattered - I was extremely impressed with the play of their O-line. Their Big Fat Uglies just executed better than ours did and I am one of those Cromagnon men who look first at line play on both sides of the ball...and I'll leave it at that. Except to say that Alexander is not the same guy ... it's disappointing.

Defensively - yeah ... I'm recognizing it's a new system and coordinator , so was theirs though, I believe I saw a graphic that showed the number of Eagles' coordinator changes recently and I'm going to move on to next week.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been avoiding posting post-game thoughts. I recognize the Eagles are nobody's slouch - a team with a lot of talent and I want to make sure I make clear that I believe they deserved to win ... that it wasn't a matter of the Packers just "running out of time". The Iggles just plain executed better when it mattered - I was extremely impressed with the play of their O-line. Their Big Fat Uglies just executed better than ours did and I am one of those Cromagnon men who look first at line play on both sides of the ball...and I'll leave it at that. Except to say that Alexander is not the same guy ... it's disappointing.

Defensively - yeah ... I'm recognizing it's a new system and coordinator , so was theirs though, I believe I saw a graphic that showed the number of Eagles' coordinator changes recently and I'm going to move on to next week.
You're correct. The Eagles were better on the OL and the DL. The score was actually a lot closer than the game. The Packers were just outplayed across the board. Yes the field was a mess but it was a mess for both teams. Didn't slow Barkley down.

So now Love is out for, hopefully "just" three weeks. There's no good time for an injury like this, but the schedule is easier on the front end. Big question is who plays backup. I'd go with Willis. He can beat a team with his legs and the Packers may need that.

Yeah the playbook will have to be simplified, at least for a bit. The Packers still have a lot of talent elsewhere on the team so I expect them to be competitive against the Colts, Titans and Vikes. A good outcome is .500 ball until Love gets back. Ideally they win 2 out of the next 3 games and then Love returns.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Alexander was as good as he thinks he is, he'd be in the GOAT discussion with Deion Sanders.
Alexander has worn out his welcome. He did play great early in his career, but has been JAG ever since. Even worse, his attitude and his arrogance are poisonous. Whenever his contract is up, dump him. I'm guessing there is no market for him or he would be gone.

Members online

Latest posts