Packers Hire New Defensive Coordinator: Jeff Hafley, formerly Head Coach, Boston College

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I don’t know if it’s just a matter of raw size. Just a quick sample - Last year’s number one rush defense (SF) had just one starting DL who weighed over 300lbs and that was Javon Hargrave - and he was just barely over at 305. The only other DL over 300lbs they had with any significant impact was Kinlaw (320).

Regardless of size it’s generally just felt to me like we don’t really prioritize investing in defenders with a profile that’s primarily (or even leans more towards) that of a “run stopper”.
Some believe you need bulk. Others say you need quickness off the ball. It needs to be a combination of both. In 1996 our DL was first in total defense and rushing defense. Reggie, Santana, Gilbert, and Sean Jones had plenty of both.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some believe you need bulk. Others say you need quickness off the ball. It needs to be a combination of both. In 1996 our DL was first in total defense and rushing defense. Reggie, Santana, Gilbert, and Sean Jones had plenty of both.

Interesting to note that only Reggie and Gilbert were over 300. Santana was a relatively thin 275-280 pound 3T tackle and Jones topped out around 275. And looking at pictures of him, it would surprise me if Jones was closer to 260 when he played for us.

Reaction score
This team should win some or all of these games even without Love.
In my gut I feel like 1 of the next 3 games is conceivable. If we win 2 that would be a miracle. That sounds bad but honestly at 1-4 there’s still lots of season left. Recall with Rodgers we started at 2-3 in several seasons and still did good in the long haul

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my gut I feel like 1 of the next 3 games is conceivable. If we win 2 that would be a miracle. That sounds bad but honestly at 1-4 there’s still lots of season left. Recall with Rodgers we started at 2-3 in several seasons and still did good in the long haul
Unfortunately, Jordan Love is not Aaron Rodgers. No slight intended to Love but I just don't see him as the guy who can carry a team. Not yet at least.

This is why it amazes me that some people think we are doomed without Love and yet with him we are somehow contenders. Aaron Rodgers covered up some pretty glaring weaknesses in this team for a long time. While Love is not at Rodgers' level I think the team around him is a bit better than what Rodgers had to deal with. Especially defensively. That is why I think we can weather this 4 (hopefully no more than 3) game stretch and come out with at least 2 wins.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting to note that only Reggie and Gilbert were over 300. Santana was a relatively thin 275-280 pound 3T tackle and Jones topped out around 275. And looking at pictures of him, it would surprise me if Jones was closer to 260 when he played for us.
And in that 4-3 they could rush the passer and stop the run. Great combo.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing's f
This is why it amazes me that some people think we are doomed without Love and yet with him we are somehow contenders. Aaron Rodgers covered up some pretty glaring weaknesses in this team for a long time. While Love is not at Rodgers' level I think the team around him is a bit better than what Rodgers had to deal with. Especially defensively. That is why I think we can weather this 4 (hopefully no more than 3) game stretch and come out with at least 2 wins.
Yeah, I mean are we a team or a quarterback? Do we have a good roster or not? We'll find out.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping this defense gets better every week. I didn't read this entire thread so I may be repeating what someone else has already said but I'm going to guess because this is a new scheme it might take a bit before this unit is clicking on all cylinders.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gabe Wilkins' injury was big factor.
That is brought up but the 2 Favre turnovers in the first half gave Denver 10 points which could have easily impacted the outcome. And when Terrell Davis fumbled in the 3rd quarter deep into Bronco territory we only managed 3 points.

Members online