New Proposed Kick-Off Rule

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
McAfee's show yesterday about the helmet with league medical "expert."
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
McAfee's show yesterday about the helmet with league medical "expert."
I swear the Packers and the NFL media are watching our forum! lol

I can't tell you how many times I see "new conversation" here and I can't find anything on line about it, until a few days later when it is all over a Google search.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't they make them in Packer colors?
I believe that when it comes to the regular season the caps will be available in the team colors at least if not with some sort of the team logo.

Waiting for the redesign to eliminate the plastic shell and maybe replace with naugahyde or leather and put the padding inside. Double the size of the helmet but give a smooth outer surface. Gladiator style face and nose protection.
BTW, how come naugas were never given endangered species protection?
I dont see why they can't make these with a solid surface unless the individual sections are integral to their function. I could see that in the way they might move independently reducing force.

I'm just sad for all those Corinthians who died just so Ricardo Mantalban Could have leather seats in his Chrysler Cordoba.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that when it comes to the regular season the caps will be available in the team colors at least if not with some sort of the team logo.
The guest in the video says all teams have a cloth cover that matches the helmet. They show the Chargers wearing it.
I dont see why they can't make these with a solid surface unless the individual sections are integral to their function. I could see that in the way they might move independently reducing force.
Video is informative. Guest says colleges have a solid rubbery version that look like a helmet atop a helmet.. There are a half dozen helmet prototypes with the padding internal that players can also wear.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, they are. I promise you; it's a certainty.

Ever look at how many users are on the forum at any given time? Right now, it's 55 - and only 3 of us are members. Who do you suppose the other 52 are?

Some are benign bots with various purposes, some are human guests, most are probably web crawlers for search engines, but a number of them are probably journalists at any given time. I couldn't guess how many, but wouldn't be shocked if it were half or more at any given time - everything from "name" reporters or columnists to bloggers to podcast guys to wannabe content creators and influencers. And even a number of spiderbots are probably media organizations.

More than a few small, barebones "news sites" actually use it as their business model - surfing social media sites to see what people who are closely connected to a subject are saying to one another about it, and then "breaking" a story a few hours before other sources have had time to gather information from conventional sources.

BuzzFeed, for example, is famous for it, and sports sites use the tool very frequently. You get sports fans talking about their team on social media, and you can learn a hell of a lot about what's going on with that team from the fans who live in that city and follow the local "buzz" closely, and many of whom actually have inside information.

That's probably why Tyni has to be so extremely cautious about what she shares here; reporters are reading her posts, and trying to guess who her source is. I know if I were still a reporter, and covered sports, I would be. She does an absolurtely exceptional job of drawing a line in the sand and going absolutely not one step further; she's excellent at establishing a barrier.

It's a trick I used a lot when I was covering local and state government (not politics) and community issues, including development. I'd watch the conversations between the councilmembers, state legislators, businesspeople, and their various aides and staff members, and when I found something good, I'd call some of them up and interview them. Got a lot of really good (and accurate) stories that way, and learned a ton about the workings of government (for better or worse).

And last.... my wife owns some websites, and one of them is a very large site focusing on politics (yech). It's one of the biggest such on the internet, and draws a lot of traffic (so she won't get rid of the damned thing), but it's a frigging cesspool. I hate it.

About 10 years ago, we had some business in Alanta, and took a couple of extra days just to enjoy the city. One of the things we did was take a half-day tour of CNN, and we were taken to an enormous room that was the size of a hockey arena - rows and rows of desks, each one with a young intern and a computer, literally hundreds of them. And every one was surfing the internet to look for new things people were talking about on social media.

At one point, I looked over an intern's shoulder and saw - our masthead! She was lurking on our site. I laughed, and nudged Amy and pointed, and she started laughing to. The tour guide asked what we found so funny, and I said "she's looking at one of our websites!"

The guide was surpised, and said, "Oh, that's your site? Let's see how manty of our people are watching it..." She stepped over to an emopty terminal, logged in, entered a couple of commands, and said, "we currently have 11 interns or reporters silent on your forum." Meaning, just reading and taking notes, not participating in any way at all. Just listening to what ordinary people are saying about whatever's happening at the moment.

The flip side of that is, we've learned that the goverment does it too (again, for better and/or worse). And they are orders of magnitude better at it than the media.

But I won't get into that, because it doesn't pertain to Packers, or even football in general. It's just sobering to see how deep their tentacles go on the net, and very few people have any reason to see it.

But the point is, yeah.... a lot of the finished articles you see in the media were at the least fleshed out by social media conversations, and in some cases inspired by them. Because the things that are really interesting to a dozen random people on a message board are often just as interesting to much, much wider audiences when presented to them.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Ever look at how many users are on the forum at any given time? Right now, it's 55 - and only 3 of us are members. Who do you suppose the other 52 are?
Here I always thought they were hot chicks looking to try and pick me up! But shy little hussies, they never talk!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's probably why Tyni has to be so extremely cautious about what she shares here; reporters are reading her posts, and trying to guess who her source is. I know if I were still a reporter, and covered sports, I would be. She does an absolurtely exceptional job of drawing a line in the sand and going absolutely not one step further; she's excellent at establishing a barrier.

Damn, I always assumed Tyni was a dude!

Hi ya @tynimiller, I love your.....Packer Brain!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Some are benign bots with various purposes, some are human guests, most are probably web crawlers for search engines, but a number of them are probably journalists at any given time. I couldn't guess how many, but wouldn't be shocked if it were half or more at any given time - everything from "name" reporters or columnists to bloggers to podcast guys to wannabe content creators and influencers. And even a number of spiderbots are probably media organizations.

More than a few small, barebones "news sites" actually use it as their business model - surfing social media sites to see what people who are closely connected to a subject are saying to one another about it, and then "breaking" a story a few hours before other sources have had time to gather information from conventional sources.

BuzzFeed, for example, is famous for it, and sports sites use the tool very frequently. You get sports fans talking about their team on social media, and you can learn a hell of a lot about what's going on with that team from the fans who live in that city and follow the local "buzz" closely, and many of whom actually have inside information.

It's a trick I used a lot when I was covering local and state government (not politics) and community issues, including development. I'd watch the conversations between the councilmembers, state legislators, businesspeople, and their various aides and staff members, and when I found something good, I'd call some of them up and interview them. Got a lot of really good (and accurate) stories that way, and learned a ton about the workings of government (for better or worse).

And last.... my wife owns some websites, and one of them is a very large site focusing on politics (yech). It's one of the biggest such on the internet, and draws a lot of traffic (so she won't get rid of the damned thing), but it's a frigging cesspool. I hate it.

About 10 years ago, we had some business in Alanta, and took a couple of extra days just to enjoy the city. One of the things we did was take a half-day tour of CNN, and we were taken to an enormous room that was the size of a hockey arena - rows and rows of desks, each one with a young intern and a computer, literally hundreds of them. And every one was surfing the internet to look for new things people were talking about on social media.

At one point, I looked over an intern's shoulder and saw - our masthead! She was lurking on our site. I laughed, and nudged Amy and pointed, and she started laughing to. The tour guide asked what we found so funny, and I said "she's looking at one of our websites!"

The guide was surpised, and said, "Oh, that's your site? Let's see how manty of our people are watching it..." She stepped over to an emopty terminal, logged in, entered a couple of commands, and said, "we currently have 11 interns or reporters silent on your forum." Meaning, just reading and taking notes, not participating in any way at all. Just listening to what ordinary people are saying about whatever's happening at the moment.

The flip side of that is, we've learned that the goverment does it too (again, for better and/or worse). And they are orders of magnitude better at it than the media.

But I won't get into that, because it doesn't pertain to Packers, or even football in general. It's just sobering to see how deep their tentacles go on the net, and very few people have any reason to see it.

But the point is, yeah.... a lot of the finished articles you see in the media were at the least fleshed out by social media conversations, and in some cases inspired by them. Because the things that are really interesting to a dozen random people on a message board are often just as interesting to much, much wider audiences when presented to them.

I guess we all should be expecting our Royalty Checks anytime soon, right?

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players will be able to wear the guardian caps during the regular season if they want to. Hopefully all Packers players will wear it in week 7. It will hide that God awful white monstrosity. Just kidding I actually like the God awful white monstrosity.
I think I might be one of the few who really can’t stand the white helmets

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So we are some of the infamous "unnamed sources" and sources familiar or close to the subject.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sort of like the new kick offs. But it may be able to have too much impact on the outcome. We'll have to see. And I don't like that you can't onside kick whenever you want. I don't know why they changed that so much over the past few years but obviously you can't have it be a surprise with the new kickoff rule.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sort of like the new kick offs. But it may be able to have too much impact on the outcome. We'll have to see. And I don't like that you can't onside kick whenever you want. I don't know why they changed that so much over the past few years but obviously you can't have it be a surprise with the new kickoff rule.
I cannot stand it. It reminds of backyard football. It is laughable. I am sure the league will come up with some new experiments in the coming years.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot stand it. It reminds of backyard football. It is laughable. I am sure the league will come up with some new experiments in the coming years.
I'll take 97% returns over 22 % any day. Way more excitement and way more potential for big plays. I don't get why its so laughable. Its different and its not what you are used to but to play the what if game what if this is the way it always was and they just switched to what we are all used to. Would that be laughable?

I keep going back to my premise that football is 80% the same game it was since any one of us started watching. Some minor rules changes and a few tweaks but the goal has never changed. I love a strong running game and good defense. I'm less enthused about the explosion of offense (although I understand why people like it) but what it has done is make me appreciate a really good running back (a Derrick Henry type) and a strong defense even more. Trends may have changed toward more offense and passing but IMO the game has not changed that much. Teams passed the ball 50 years ago, they just pass it more now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I say wrap them all in bubble wrap!

On a more serious note though. I honestly don't see why they haven't gone to the padded helmet covers that they wear in practices, to be required all the time. They have been deemed safer at preventing CTE/head injuries, which seem to be one of the biggest, nastiest long term injury many football players expose themselves to. It couldn't be too hard (pun intended) to design these cushy covers to look good.

Idk. Although the helmets worn today are much safer than what they used 30-40-50 years ago.

Reaction score

I can't tell you how many times I see "new conversation" here and I can't find anything on line about it, until a few days later when it is all over a Google search.
I see this happen quite a bit with Packer writers. We debate a topic and 48hrs later there’s an article. It’s probably not a stretch to say there’s a Guest user in here that gets material to write about.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn, I always assumed Tyni was a dude!

Hi ya @tynimiller, I love your.....Packer Brain!

That's because you are incredibly sexist. Your brain refuses to allow you to admit that a female girl of the woman variety can posses as much football knowledge stuff as a big strong man type such as yourself. You gotta work on that Poker.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's because you are incredibly sexist. Your brain refuses to allow you to admit that a female girl of the woman variety can posses as much football knowledge stuff as a big strong man type such as yourself. You gotta work on that Poker.
Well, if you have ever seen @tynimiller in a mini-skirt and pumps, you would know he's a dude! :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I see this happen quite a bit with Packer writers. We debate a topic and 48hrs later there’s an article. It’s probably not a stretch to say there’s a Guest user in here that gets material to write about.
Damn, you calling me a "guest"? Wait until I write my next article bud. You are going to be front and center in it! ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Idk. Although the helmets worn today are much safer than what they used 30-40-50 years ago.
The players are much faster, stronger and bigger too.

I have said this before and it boils down to I believe, Newton's 2nd Law of Motion.

Force = Mass x Velocity

Throw in players bodies are built a lot different than they were 40-50 years ago and you have human bodies that probably weren't designed to withstand the kind of abuse that football puts on it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The players are much faster, stronger and bigger too. I also think players.

I have said this before and it boils down to I believe, Newton's 2nd Law of Motion.

Force = Mass x Velocity

Throw in players bodies are built a lot different than they were 40-50 years ago and you have human bodies that probably weren't designed to withstand the kind of abuse that football puts on it.
I get that. But on the flip side guys were getting concussions at just as high or even higher rate back then. So I don’t think the sport is more dangerous today. I think the NFL is much safer today because of rules changes, equipment upgrades and injury protocols. Guys might be faster but those hits are not exceeding the Safety measures taken if that makes sense? Guys used to run back on the field with broken bones, that’s a rarity today.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I keep going back to my premise that football is 80% the same game it was since any one of us started watching. Some minor rules changes and a few tweaks but the goal has never changed.
Goal being, make as many Millions of $$ as you can? :coffee:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts