Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO - Fields, Ridder(benched), Carr-Winston, GOFF, Jimmy G. (benched), WILSON, COUSINS, Rypien (2nd string then cut), Pickett as opposing QBs has a lot to do with that. IMO.
I would agree with that assessment, although Goff and the Lions offense has proven to be a lot to handle, for most defenses. Facing the Chargers (Herbert), Lions again and the Chiefs (Mahomes) offenses in the next 3 weeks, will be a good litmus test for the defense.

If the Packers lose all 3 games and the defense struggles, fans might get an early Christmas present and finally see Barry fired.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will get a 3rd stringer ve. NYG, a starter from another team week 1 vs. Minny and could see Fields again.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree with that assessment, although Goff and the Lions offense has proven to be a lot to handle, for most defenses. Facing the Chargers (Herbert), Lions again and the Chiefs (Mahomes) offenses in the next 3 weeks, will be a good litmus test for the defense.

If the Packers lose all 3 games and the defense struggles, fans might get an early Christmas present and finally see Barry fired.
I capitalized Goff, Cousins and even Wilson as I consider those 3 still legit NFL QBs.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Litmus test? Could be a funeral.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanksgiving might be a real carving up of the Turkey.

I usually look forward to Thanksgiving Football, but could be a blood bath this season.
1962 was the most devastating. We were the best team in football and we were destroyed in the first 45 minutes. Lost my appetite. This one is just a game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1962 was the most devastating. We were the best team in football and we were destroyed in the first 45 minutes. Lost my appetite. This one is just a game.
Yeah, the Thanksgiving Day massacre. Bart was sacked I think something like 11 times.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the Bears and the Vikings, but there's something about losing to the Lions that I especially dislike. I think it's because I usually expect that we should beat them. Even though yeah, obviously they're better than we are now. And it's even worse if it's on a Thanksgiving, because then it puts a sour note on the holiday.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the Bears and the Vikings, but there's something about losing to the Lions that I especially dislike. I think it's because I usually expect that we should beat them. Even though yeah, obviously they're better than we are now. And it's even worse if it's on a Thanksgiving, because then it puts a sour note on the holiday.
Yes. The Bears and Vikings over the last 50 years have had some success either winning divisions or playoff games. The Lions have had virtually no success over that time span even with Barry Sanders or Megatron. But back in the late 50s and early 60s they had some great defenses and decent QBs. But their weakness was usually the head coach.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think any changed that come will happen after the season. This is not a good team to begin with on paper unlike the teams of the last 15 years.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha! Not quite. But that game needed crash helmets. Starr was sacked 11 times.
Wasn't that the game where Bart tried to call a run, but nobody wanted to carry it. Then, he called for various pass plays, but nobody wanted to be the target. Then somebody suggested 'a nice, long, incomplete pass'?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't that the game where Bart tried to call a run, but nobody wanted to carry it. Then, he called for various pass plays, but nobody wanted to be the target. Then somebody suggested 'a nice, long, incomplete pass'?
If a team goes through an entire season and loses only one time I laugh it off although not that day. We finished as NFL champions. The Lions were sitting home.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calm down. I've always just thought the idea of nobody from the '62 Packers wanting the ball was amusing. And, don't you ever feel the teeniest qualm about the fact that that was the game that kept us from being the '72 Dolphins a decade earlier?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calm down. I've always just thought the idea of nobody from the '62 Packers wanting the ball was amusing. And, don't you ever feel the teeniest qualm about the fact that that was the game that kept us from being the '72 Dolphins a decade earlier?
It has been a long time and yes we should laugh about it. But I will tell you that I was a kid. And I knew it would be a tough game. But the first 3 quarters were horrific. These were my heroes. I cried and cried and cried for hours. Even my mother could not understand it. She said I acted like someone had died. And when I would not eat my turkey she almost cried herself.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a team goes through an entire season and loses only one time I laugh it off although not that day. We finished as NFL champions. The Lions were sitting home.
Not only that, the '62 Packers are supposed to be one of the greatest teams of all time, and the greatest Packer team.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only that, the '62 Packers are supposed to be one of the greatest teams of all time, and the greatest Packer team.
I still believe they were and are. They had no weakness on the time. The only setback was Hornung getting hurt mid-season briefly. But we still had Tom Moore in the backfield along with Earl Gros. And of course Jerry Kramer took over the kicking and did very well. Lombardi's biggest challenge was getting them pumped up every week.

montanapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I think most fans, including me, saw this as an 8-9, 9-8 team coming in. I agree that a loss, or losses, to the Lions were expected. I did not expect the complete failure to compete that was on display in the 1H. They saved some face in the 2H, but the damage had been done. No matter where they finish, that was an embarrassing display of football.

As for firing Barry, yeah I was on board with that when last season ended. MLF didn't see it that way and we've got the same defense. I don't think MLF will make a change this season, so piling on just means - ok most of us don't like Barry, we're mad he wasn't fired last year, and we're sick of what we're seeing this year. Maybe it's not piling on. Maybe it's just calling Barry's abilities as a DC for what they are - non-existent.
We haven't had a top-ten rush defense since 2010, which as we all remember was our SB year. When I looked at Barry's credentials when he was hired, I was not impressed. I don't think he possesses the demeanor or the scheme to be an effective DC. MLF voiced his displeasure a few weeks back on Barry but has since waffled. We got gashed for over 200 yards against the Steelers and barring two dropped passes by the "Bolts" last week, we'd have another loss. Now we face an 8-2 Lions team on Thanksgiving and we haven't beaten a team with a winning record all year. Who thinks Barry will bring a different approach versus the Lions?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We haven't had a top-ten rush defense since 2010, which as we all remember was our SB year. When I looked at Barry's credentials when he was hired, I was not impressed. I don't think he possesses the demeanor or the scheme to be an effective DC. MLF voiced his displeasure a few weeks back on Barry but has since waffled. We got gashed for over 200 yards against the Steelers and barring two dropped passes by the "Bolts" last week, we'd have another loss. Now we face an 8-2 Lions team on Thanksgiving and we haven't beaten a team with a winning record all year. Who thinks Barry will bring a different approach versus the Lions?
Well, the Lions could have tried to pass like crazy but why should they if they have Montgomery and the other speedster in the backfield. Playing us both times on a Thursday does not allow for practicing the whole playbook. So they play it simple, minimize mistakes, and take a few shots when needed.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Looking back on my own comments, after last night, as well as most of the season, Barry probably secured his job for another year.

I also noticed, this thread has gotten ZERO traffic in the last 2+weeks.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking back on my own comments, after last night, as well as most of the season, Barry probably secured his job for another year.

I also noticed, this thread has gotten ZERO traffic in the last 2+weeks.
You would think this would translate into positive results against 3 rather sub par offenses like NY, Tampa, and Carolina. But we also know we had hiccups against those kind of teams earlier. Barry has to plan for these QBs etc. With Hebert, Goff, and Mahommes not on the other side of the line it may lull our players to sleep. If we do not see turnovers something is probably wrong. I suspect those teams are going to try and play ball control and just move the chains. But also remember that Tampa has Mike Evans and Godwin who can burn you.

Status
Not open for further replies.