Bakhtiari's price set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ive been wondering the same thing.... The offensive line is definitely not as good without Bakhtiari.... but I think right now a better defense would help a lot more than getting Him back in the lineup.

Yup and obviously the Packers don't need to make this decision immediately and can see how the season plays out. Prior to Bahks injury, I think most people would say "No question you have to resign him at all costs". After the last 3+ weeks, the Packers have some data to look at as to just how important he is to the team. This isn't to say he isn't, because he is, but the $20+ million/year he will probably get, could be more important to spend elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 6794

So Bahk has missed what 3+ games now? How much has the offensive line declined in his absence? While there has been a bit of a drop-off, I don't think its been as glaring as some feared. I'm haven't fully come to terms with this, but what if they let Bahk walk in Free Agency? That frees up a boatload of cap space to do other things. Not to mention the potential of a high Comp pick in 2022. I realize he is one of, if not the best LT in the game, but he is hitting 30 next year and his contract is going to be huge. Are we a better team with him or better team by using the money elsewhere?

Pros and Cons?

The Packers haven't faced a defense capable of creating a ton of pressure without Bakhtiari in the lineup though. Gutekunst should be hesitant to re-sign him to a huge deal because of injuries over the past two years but definitely needs to have a solid plan to replace him next offseason if they decide to let him walk in free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers haven't faced a defense capable of creating a ton of pressure without Bakhtiari in the lineup though. Gutekunst should be hesitant to re-sign him to a huge deal because of injuries over the past two years but definitely needs to have a solid plan to replace him next offseason if they decide to let him walk in free agency.

Like I said, they have some data now, as well as potential options and can continue to evaluate this season. Let's just say that Billy Turner appears to be a better LT than many thought he would be and he is under contract for 2 more years. Wasn't long ago that, if I recall correctly, some were calling him a terrible FA signing and a possible cap saying cut.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Bakhtiari's value isn't as evident when this offense is running on schedule. But when they're down and have to become more one dimensional and throw to come back, they will really miss him when he's gone (unless they somehow replace him with someone of quality).

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we were not to sign Bahktiari; would we get compensation based on his new salary?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If we were not to sign Bahktiari; would we get compensation based on his new salary?

Yes, but compensatory picks can be wiped out if you make a corresponding move.

If he walked and the Packers didn’t sign someone, they’d get a 3rd back in the 2022 draft,

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about if we signed someone but for half the price of Bahktiari?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s any and all free agents.
In that case you would not want to think too much about the compensatory pick. Let it fall where it falls. But you could still pay someone $10M and improve somewhere and retain Aaron Jones. Probably a bit simplistic.:eek:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In that case you would not want to think too much about the compensatory pick. Let it fall where it falls. But you could still pay someone $10M and improve somewhere and retain Aaron Jones. Probably a bit simplistic.:eek:

The Packers will almost certainly end up on the + side the comp formula this offseason as they won’t have the space to do much on the market.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

This offseason is going to be quite strange IMO. Due to what appears to be a decent size drop in the cap, I think there will be a lot more Free agents than we are used to seeing. Because of that, I think its going to be a buyers market for those few teams that have cap space. Given fewer teams being able to participate, the compensatory math and final comp picks awarded will most likely deviate from the norm. Players might also have to settle for cheap 1 year deals, which will also effect the Comp. pick math.

What does all that mean? Well there are only 32 total comp picks awarded each year, so if a lot of teams end up on the plus side of what typically would be a comp pick awarded, they may not get as many or as high of picks as they might have in previous years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Like I said, they have some data now, as well as potential options and can continue to evaluate this season. Let's just say that Billy Turner appears to be a better LT than many thought he would be and he is under contract for 2 more years. Wasn't long ago that, if I recall correctly, some were calling him a terrible FA signing and a possible cap saying cut.

Let's put it that way, I don't feel comfortable in any offensive lineman currently on the roster being able to adequately replace Bakhtiari if the team decides to let him walk away in free agency next offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Let's put it that way, I don't feel comfortable in any offensive lineman currently on the roster being able to adequately replace Bakhtiari if the team decides to let him walk away in free agency next offseason.

I'm totally on the fence as well, but it's definitely something that the Packers organization will have to contemplate long and hard, how much is that "comfort" worth and at what cost to the rest of the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm totally on the fence as well, but it's definitely something that the Packers organization will have to contemplate long and hard, how much is that "comfort" worth and at what cost to the rest of the roster.

The Packers might be forced to spend an early round pick on a tackle if they decide to let Bakhtiari walk away in free agency.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of how we don’t talk about how Gute not re-signing Bulaga was a fantastic move.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of how we don’t talk about how Gute not re-signing Bulaga was a fantastic move.

Midway into the season, this looks to be true. Bulaga has missed games and been nagged by various injuries all season. He is currently questionable with a back injury.
His body is breaking down. Not resigning him was the right move

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Midway into the season, this looks to be true. Bulaga has missed games and been nagged by various injuries all season. He is currently questionable with a back injury.
His body is breaking down. Not resigning him was the right move

Yes, the health of Bulaga and Bahk throughout their careers has been night and day. I think that, along with $10M/year, was what made the Bulage decision a pretty easy one to make.

I don't have the injury fear nearly as much with Bahk, but more the fear of paying a guy close to $22 M/year and how that effects the rest of the roster. It appears that the Packers have some pretty decent interchangeable pieces to play with on the OL and if they can figure out a way to do it without having to resign Bahk, I can think of a number of positions that $22 M could potentially greatly improve.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the health of Bulaga and Bahk throughout their careers has been night and day. I think that, along with $10M/year, was what made the Bulage decision a pretty easy one to make.

I don't have the injury fear nearly as much with Bahk, but more the fear of paying a guy close to $22 M/year and how that effects the rest of the roster. It appears that the Packers have some pretty decent interchangeable pieces to play with on the OL and if they can figure out a way to do it without having to resign Bahk, I can think of a number of positions that $22 M could potentially greatly improve.
Things potentially get very dicey on the O-Line next year if we have neither Linsely or Bakhtiari under contract. The only way I can fathom that happening is if the staff thinks they have an adequate center behind Linsely and either Yosh Nijman is ready to play or Jenkins/Turner can adequately play LT.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Things potentially get very dicey on the O-Line next year if we have neither Linsely or Bakhtiari under contract. The only way I can fathom that happening is if the staff thinks they have an adequate center behind Linsely and either Yosh Nijman is ready to play or Jenkins/Turner can adequately play LT.

I think the recent injury to Bahk and having to play without him, might have been a blessing in disguise. Now granted, the Packers didn't fair so well in that Tampa Bay game when he went out in the 3rd Q, but I don't think they were fairing that well prior to him leaving either. The games since have been a mix bag of results as they have faced less challenging defenses (than the Bucs) and inserting different options along the OL.

If nothing else the Packers are getting a good idea of what life without Bahk might look like. You are correct, it would be tough to lose both Linsley and Bahk at the same time, but we are also talking about a combined $32M probably that the Packers could use to potentially fortify the OL as well as other positions.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they're going to have to have guys ready to step in or guys that are added cheaply in draft or FA that can do the job that probably haven't done the job very well before and are hoping we can turn them into something. We're tight against the cap and have big time players that need to be re-signed or let walk. BakhT is a top level Tackle, no doubt about it. They're worth money. He's going to get it from someone. I don't think we have anyone now that replaces him at nearly the same standard. On the flip side. He was limited by injury last year and it affected his level, and he's missing games this year. Bad luck or trend?

Losing a Center and a LT in the same offseason? Ouch. Can it be done? it can, I mean BakhT himself is proof of that. These 2 are going to be paid and we need to decide if we want to commit all that money or take a step back but hopefully stay adequate and put money at other positions? Fans seem to have this idea that you can just keep all your good players, pay them and then go get more good players and then nobody will get hurt either.

If we want to gain on the DL, DB's, WR or TE's we're going to lose from somewhere else. Drafts don't fall that way and there isn't that much cap space. Lots of ways to stay good, lots of ways to sink it too.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fans seem to have this idea that you can just keep all your good players, pay them and then go get more good players and then nobody will get hurt either.

Yup and those that think that are going to be in for a REAL shock in 2021 when we not only have some big named players up for new contracts, needs to still fill and a greatly reduced salary cap. This aint Madden Football!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.